Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You just need a dog that's half the size and 3x the price of a dog you can get anywhere else, while bragging about amenities that all the other dogs also have, but yours comes with a metaphor for traffic that I'm failing to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

sb hermit posted:

I just need a big yard

which basically means I have to move out of California

lol what? this state is lousy with five-acre plots

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

When it comes to dogs, just follow one simple rule: mutts only. Just avoid the inbreeding.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Did somebody punch in an extra "1" for today?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Complications posted:

When it comes to dogs, just follow one simple rule: mutts only. Just avoid the inbreeding.

this. puppy mills are for rich people

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

a.lo posted:

Did somebody punch in an extra "1" for today?

Ouch.

Maybe it's a catchup/earlier unreporteds

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Complications posted:

nah then you can get the worst of both worlds

and then you gotta deal with the issue of rescues and shelters being super weird about hiding past bites and poo poo

but if you get a frenchie or anything else with a smashed face or anything else that wasn't bred to actually work then that's on you

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this. puppy mills are for rich people

looks like someone has never witnessed the miracle of birth smh

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Kenning posted:

There's plenty of dog-having space in between Sacramento and Bakersfield!

If you can’t afford a piece of Californian dirt less than 100 miles from the coast you might as well just live in Arizona tbh

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Foxfire_ posted:

Cheetahs are reportedly like big, very anxious dogs. Solo zoo ones are sometimes raised with puppies so that they see their dog buddies being calm and happy and settle down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vKWk6tc2zY

Nah I'm talking about the ones that are super cuddly and defensive of their owners. It's been a long time though so I don't remember the name

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nah I'm talking about the ones that are super cuddly and defensive of their owners. It's been a long time though so I don't remember the name

serval cats or savannah cats?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sb hermit posted:

serval cats or savannah cats?

savannah cats, pretty sure!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Los Angeles is apparently looking at removing public transportation fares for a lot of people:

https://laist.com/2021/02/26/los_angeles_metro_fareless_transit_pilot.php

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

having been piss-poor while living somewhere with completely fare-less, non-means-tested public transit, this can't happen soon enough

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

Los Angeles is apparently looking at removing public transportation fares for a lot of people:

https://laist.com/2021/02/26/los_angeles_metro_fareless_transit_pilot.php

Be still my beating heart.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

HelloSailorSign posted:

nah then you can get the worst of both worlds

and then you gotta deal with the issue of rescues and shelters being super weird about hiding past bites and poo poo

but if you get a frenchie or anything else with a smashed face or anything else that wasn't bred to actually work then that's on you

looks like someone has never witnessed the miracle of birth smh

Just coming in to correct this incredibly wrong post. Mutts are amazing and are often much healthier than purebreds. Even "working" breeds have significantly more health issues than mixed breeds. Link to an actual study showing the health issues for purebreds vs mutts.

Rescues can definitely have behavior issues but the vast majority are sweet and loving and just looking for a good home. It's rare to find one that is completely incompatible with a normal life. Every foster group I've worked with has been upfront about behavior issues in rescues and like I said most of the time the dog is great after a few weeks in a stable household. Finally, it's important to point out that purebred dogs can be huge assholes too.

And all that is ignoring the moral issue of supporting animal breeding for profit. It's disturbing the amount of people I've met who are vegans for ethical reasons but have no problem buying from puppy mills. Like I know you want your instagram dog but if you have any moral compass you should be supporting rescues and not breeders. There's no moral excuse for buying a purebred when millions of dogs live in terrible conditions and are put down every year from lack of space.

Seph fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 27, 2021

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I had 2 French Bulldogs (now 1) that I love to death but have convinced me thoroughly to never own another “purebred” ever again. It’s heartbreaking to see the health issues they have had to endure. Mutts only from here on out.

Planning to get our next dog from https://theanimalpad.org

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Seph posted:

Just coming in to correct this incredibly wrong post. Mutts are amazing and are often much healthier than purebreds. Even "working" breeds have significantly more health issues than mixed breeds. Link to an actual study showing the health issues for purebreds vs mutts.

Rescues can definitely have behavior issues but the vast majority are sweet and loving and just looking for a good home. It's rare to find one that is completely incompatible with a normal life. Every foster group I've worked with has been upfront about behavior issues in rescues and like I said most of the time the dog is great after a few weeks in a stable household. Finally, it's important to point out that purebred dogs can be huge assholes too.

And all that is ignoring the moral issue of supporting animal breeding for profit. It's disturbing the amount of people I've met who are vegans for ethical reasons but have no problem buying from puppy mills. Like I know you want your instagram dog but if you have any moral compass you should be supporting rescues and not breeders.

I'm pretty sure HelloSailorSign was being some level of facetious just because I know he doesn't actually believe mutts (or all rescues) are bad but I'm having trouble figuring out how he would expect anyone reading his post to know that.

As a veterinarian, I see all the sick dogs, mutt and purebred alike, so it's hard for me to declare mixed breed dogs "healthy" because obviously some individuals are trainwrecks. But when I walk down the street and see purebred dogs, the mental game I play is to predict what diseases they have/had/will have. Every breed has something (or several somethings) they are dramatically predisposed to vs a mixed breed dog. Not that mixed breeds can't get any of those things, but at least you aren't starting out with known odds against you. When people ask me what breed of dog they should get, the answer is always "something that doesn't look like a particular breed" or if they insist on a purebred dog, something that was actually bred to do something instead of look pretty. And not like that breed was bred to do something, that particular line/breeder still does that thing.

I have heard the argument that getting a dog is a 10-15y mental, emotional, and financial commitment, so you should be able to get as close to exactly what you want as possible. For some people, that means getting a well-bred dog of a particular breed, because the unknowns with shelter dogs are, well, unknown. But, the tradeoff is that the predictability of purebred dogs regarding looks and temperament and ability come with predictable health issues as well. A poorly bred dog of any breed combines the worst of both options--less guarantee of things like temperament and ability and poorer adherence to breed standard, but still plenty of propensity for health issues due to inbreeding.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Dr. Chaco posted:

I'm pretty sure HelloSailorSign was being some level of facetious just because I know he doesn't actually believe mutts (or all rescues) are bad but I'm having trouble figuring out how he would expect anyone reading his post to know that.

As a veterinarian, I see all the sick dogs, mutt and purebred alike, so it's hard for me to declare mixed breed dogs "healthy" because obviously some individuals are trainwrecks. But when I walk down the street and see purebred dogs, the mental game I play is to predict what diseases they have/had/will have. Every breed has something (or several somethings) they are dramatically predisposed to vs a mixed breed dog. Not that mixed breeds can't get any of those things, but at least you aren't starting out with known odds against you. When people ask me what breed of dog they should get, the answer is always "something that doesn't look like a particular breed" or if they insist on a purebred dog, something that was actually bred to do something instead of look pretty. And not like that breed was bred to do something, that particular line/breeder still does that thing.

I have heard the argument that getting a dog is a 10-15y mental, emotional, and financial commitment, so you should be able to get as close to exactly what you want as possible. For some people, that means getting a well-bred dog of a particular breed, because the unknowns with shelter dogs are, well, unknown. But, the tradeoff is that the predictability of purebred dogs regarding looks and temperament and ability come with predictable health issues as well. A poorly bred dog of any breed combines the worst of both options--less guarantee of things like temperament and ability and poorer adherence to breed standard, but still plenty of propensity for health issues due to inbreeding.

If they were being facetious then my apologies for misinterpreting. Unfortunately what they said is a relatively common misconception so it's hard to tell if they were being sincere or not. It just bugs me when otherwise moral people use misinformation to justify buying purebred dogs, when there are so many amazing dogs that are suffering and being put down just because they are mutts.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Seph posted:

Unfortunately what they said is a relatively common misconception so it's hard to tell if they were being sincere or not. It just bugs me when otherwise moral people use misinformation to justify buying purebred dogs, when there are so many amazing dogs that are suffering and being put down just because they are mutts.

I totally agree. Even worse when they spend a ton of money on a poorly-bred trainwreck instead and are then surprised that it comes with a lot of health-related baggage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, my sister-in-law loves pugs (always rescues) and has given up on them because it's heartbreaking when they die from seizures. She's switched to rescue puggles and pugapoos, because maybe two different strains of hosed-up genes will avoid reinforcing each other. At least the snouts are longer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pugs are an abomination.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow ended up at a winery in Santa Ynez today.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Like you just woke up there? That's weird.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Alec Eiffel posted:

How many winerys had you visited prior to "somehow" ending up there?
safety wink ;)

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

Check out Sunstone if you get a chance.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm particularly fond of the Chez Corona. I hear it's in season.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Seph posted:

If they were being facetious then my apologies for misinterpreting. Unfortunately what they said is a relatively common misconception so it's hard to tell if they were being sincere or not. It just bugs me when otherwise moral people use misinformation to justify buying purebred dogs, when there are so many amazing dogs that are suffering and being put down just because they are mutts.

I'd hoped my lack of punctuation and comment on "miracle of birth" would be enough to suggest that post was mostly tongue in cheek, but I'm still generally a bad poster so it's cool.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just need one of these bad boys https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Face-Mask-Straw-Drinking/dp/B08FTLLT61

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Vintage 2019 is a popular varietal today. Everyone is here today

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FCKGW posted:

If anyone wants to get some air purifiers for the next time bad wildfires break out, Costco has the Winix back in stock and it will be on sale for $99 starting 9/30. Comes with 2 years of filters as well
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html
Just popping in to say according to Slickdeals thread the Winix C545 Air Purifier will be on sale again at Costco starting on 3/10 for ~$100. Same deal basically:
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 28, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Anyone else get a letter from the DMV reporting a data breach that happened to them back on Feb 4? :gonk:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Has anyone been able to lower their rent? Thinking about it living in the Bay area, it's a straight scam that my landlord charges me the same amount for rent that they were charging me a year ago. I'm aware some people have moved out to avoid paying the rent altogether but I'm curious if I could negotiate lower rent - maybe that would require a tenant union.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I know a few folks who have threatened to break the lease and the landlord came back with a lower rate because they were terrified of trying to find new tenants.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

My apartment building has lowered their rents over the past year so I moved to a different, larger unit for $150 less a month when my lease was up in December.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
sideways life babyyyyyy

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
They lowered mine when I asked but they made sure to carefully document that it was due to hardship and not market. Hardship under our rent control law means they can jack it up to pre covid whenever they want. At least in my county. Watch out for that.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

adoration for none posted:

Has anyone been able to lower their rent? Thinking about it living in the Bay area, it's a straight scam that my landlord charges me the same amount for rent that they were charging me a year ago. I'm aware some people have moved out to avoid paying the rent altogether but I'm curious if I could negotiate lower rent - maybe that would require a tenant union.

My friend in SF rents a 3 bedroom and his landlord is real chill and agrees not to show the place or have other move in while covid is going on. His other two roomies moved, so even though he's paying the same he now has the entire house to himself

Where I live in the far far north I saw rent on Craigslist go down initially in response to covid and online classes meaning students didn't want to move up, but now it appears to have swung the other way and gone up in anticipation of people moving to live in a cheaper area abd work remotely

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I live in SJ and my landlord has been trying to rent the place next to me for like, 5000, lol, and failing since about 6 months ago. He's a nice guy and an actually-good landlord but holy poo poo lol. There used to be like 6+ students living there. The place over the road is 'FOR RENT' and a lot of places are standing empty. However, I read (maybe here) about a mountain view apartment complex not lowering prices because then they'd have a 'tough path' ahead of them trying to get prices back to normal when everything 'goes back to normal' in a few months or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

redreader posted:

He's a nice guy and an actually-good landlord

One of the good ones, only exploits people a little bit!

I read about a landlord that only asked for some money for his labor maintaining the property and mowing the lawn, while the tenants lived rent-free. That's about the closest I've ever seen to a good one.