Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I taught him how to scorpion dribble, how to malya step, how to turn a leaf to the left slide jump hook in the post, taught him the shipworm stick chest out on defense, gave him rusty metal shoes to learn to rebound against bigs who could hop higher.
Wayne Selden wasn't me, he was coached by Bill Self at kansas university.

Those metal shoes will be very valuable after th is draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

leftist heap posted:

Did anyone post that Prokhorov is selling a 49% stake in the Nets? Is that news?

blueprint of greatness

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Celtics' coaching staff wanted to trade for Melo at the deadline but Ainge said no because he wanted cap space for this summer. http://www.slamonline.com/nba/report-celtics-coaches-favor-carmelo-anthony-trade/#F5QQeBF6Q2ROsB17.97

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Kidd deserves mentioning in COTY discussions if the Bucks make any type of run this year.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Doltos posted:

Kidd deserves mentioning in COTY discussions if the Bucks make any type of run this year.

You forget that Dwane Casey makes every coach look like the COTY.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

hahah we are going to pass on a PG again in the draft fantastic

Barring winning the lottery and having to swap picks with Philadelphia 8 and 10 means they could at least pick Ntilikina and field and a very long team of very young player.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Delayed, but I fixed that for you.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Nice article by Jabari about Milwaukee and Bucks https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jabari-parker-milwaukee-bucks-playoffs/

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Spacebump posted:

Celtics' coaching staff wanted to trade for Melo at the deadline but Ainge said no because he wanted cap space for this summer. http://www.slamonline.com/nba/report-celtics-coaches-favor-carmelo-anthony-trade/#F5QQeBF6Q2ROsB17.97

Good.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
John Wall dunking on Schröder, staring him down, and then asking "What's wrong with you boy?" twice is my favorite moment of the season so far.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/855454398662799360

Olynk derails another championship season. When will this ogre get kicked out of the league?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/855506435710611459

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For those who enjoy schadenfreude: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/new-york-knicks-2016-17-season-review-the-oral-history-of-yet-another-disaster/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

John Wall dunking on Schröder, staring him down, and then asking "What's wrong with you boy?" twice is my favorite moment of the season so far.

Get ready to enjoy the moment more.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.209bf9a54a04
NBA 4.0 beefs now include instagram posts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Get ready to enjoy the moment more.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.209bf9a54a04
NBA 4.0 beefs now include instagram posts.

Coach Bud is such a buzzkill, telling Shroeder not to trash talk. Lame.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
On one hand, the Cavs not getting the number one gave us a brief 3 alphas renaissance. On the other hand, it's denying us Giannis in the ECF.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Can Giannis defend Lebron? I mean in the normal sense no one can defend him obviously, but like in the relative sense. I didn't see any of their head-to-head games this year.

I would be real interested in seeing them go head to head in a series especially since we can finally resolve the Delly storyline everyone is enamored with.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Blind Pineapple posted:

On one hand, the Cavs not getting the number one gave us a brief 3 alphas renaissance. On the other hand, it's denying us Giannis in the ECF.
Not necessarily...

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008

I completely forgot that Derrick Rose called the Knicks a 'superteam' over the summer. lol.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I think the Bucks length could disrupt LeBron and Kyrie if they go into hero ball mode, but generally speaking, the Cavs are too disciplined and balanced offensively to be seriously threatened by them. That said, the Cavs defense has been really bad lately, so that could help the streaky Bucks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

PLAYOFF MCW TIME MOTHERFUCKERS

:sigh:

Hopefully like his debut game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb1OxJ3EJ6c

Lockback posted:

13 assists clearly indicates ball-hog tendencies.

It's the 50+ USG%.

Spacebump posted:

However, I'd like to take this time to say Dirk would have won more titles with Kobe's teams than Kobe. Dirk and Shaq would have been the most unstoppable duo in NBA history and Dirk wouldn't have helped run Shaq out of town.

LeBron James and Kareem in the 1940s NBA.

IcePhoenix posted:

WMG already blocked it :(

WMG has been on a tirade on YouTube recently. They're even taking down videos of random bums on the street playing instruments.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 21, 2017

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

IcePhoenix posted:

WMG already blocked it :(

I reposted without the cool song I had picked out. Here's a fun game: guess the 80s pop singer whose a propos song WMG found objectionable.

Phil Collins' "I Missed Again"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my friend just saw the David Fizdale rant, and I watched it again, and even though I'm not a Memphis fan (but maybe I should be!) I would go to war for this man

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

Congrats to the Raptors for making history. Lowest points half all-time

Raptors were sitting on seventeen points DEEP into the second quarter.

Henchman of Santa posted:

And the one team to make it to the Finals got steamrolled and eventually punched their way out of contention

Indiana lost game four by two points and game six by five points. They could've won that series.

Lockback posted:

If he passed it around and didn't take shots in the 4th and lost people would be bitching about him too.

True, but those people would be wrong. Just like LBJ used to take flak because he wasn't chucking all night.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Icy Penguigo posted:

Zogobot you need to stick to numbers, the conspiracy theory stuff isn't a good look for you.

It isn't a conspiracy theory it's an observable phenomenon during games that's been corroborated in testimony by league referees and executives. The refs don't have integrity. The NBA will spot the weaker team some points so as to extend series longer when possible. I watched G2 of Cavaliers vs. Pacers. It's as plain as day.

Closer games = higher ratings = more games = more money. And money makes the world go around.

ChickenMedium posted:

What about a team where all the players are Russell Westbrook? 12 Russell Westbrooks versus the NBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Fuxkinhug

Adun posted:

I have no idea why but for some reason I thought Adam Silver was gay (but just not out).

This is the first time I have learned something thanks to Magic

Being in a heterosexual marriage doesn't preclude one from being gay and closeted.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Carlosologist posted:

my friend just saw the David Fizdale rant, and I watched it again, and even though I'm not a Memphis fan (but maybe I should be!) I would go to war for this man

Welcome to Memphis, here is your plate

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

AggressivelyStupid posted:

https://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/855454398662799360

Olynk derails another championship season. When will this ogre get kicked out of the league?

Hopefully never so i kill myself

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

NickRoweFillea posted:

Welcome to Memphis, here is your plate

I want to go to Memphis at some point soon, I hear the food is good

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/855535112787812352

is Jaylen Brown in the doghouse? because why is Gerald Green starting a playoff game in the TYOOL 2017

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 21, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

Zogo, can you evaluate Adjusted Ring Share as a metric.

The results don't look too bad. The four measurements being combined are similar enough that it makes it kind of redundant. WS and VORP and GmSc are very similar. PER and VORP are a little more apart but still not that different.

For comparing small groups of data (a few games) I like GmSc because it's very simple to calculate and the scale makes sense. e.g. 40 GmSc vs. .3 WS vs. .2 VORP

Saying someone had a GmSc of 10, 15, 45 or 60 is simpler than saying they had .04 WS, .09 WS, .22 WS, .6 WS.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Right. Drawing doubles and triples and passing out of them to your teammates is usually a good bet seeing as they are professional basketball players. I mean poo poo, anyone remember Boobie Gibson?

It does get funny when people act like the other guys on the Thunder are d-league level.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Carlosologist posted:

is Jaylen Brown in the doghouse? because why is Gerald Green starting a playoff game in the TYOOL 2017

Celtics playing mind games. Showing Rondo a bitch for being down one finger.

Also go to Uncle Lou's

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/855535112787812352

Man, now they have two ex-Mavs starting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gerald Green is probably getting the Keith Bogans minutes, but they're basically going to try to out-math the Bulls.

Jaylen Brown isn't starting because he still has some defensive off-ball deficiencies, but real answer is that Brad Stevens doesn't trust him considering he quick-pulled him in game 2.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

dokmo posted:

edit dammit

Some bloggers tracked down ever MVP voter they could find (62 out of 100) and asked who they were voting for and it looks like Westbrook is pretty much a lock. Here is the spreadsheet of the voters and votes.

*queues up hakeem/robinson playoff video*

e: Westbrook was fined $15k for saying curses on the TV box

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 21, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

pretty sure the "Cameron Payne" activated by the Bulls is Kirk Hinrich in a wig.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Well, Harden is outplaying Westbrook thus far, but not in the flashy way Hakeem did it to Robinson. If only Russ could've been in Enes Kanter's spot on that one play, we'd have a "dream shake" for a new generation.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Libertine posted:

Can Giannis defend Lebron? I mean in the normal sense no one can defend him obviously, but like in the relative sense. I didn't see any of their head-to-head games this year.

I would be real interested in seeing them go head to head in a series especially since we can finally resolve the Delly storyline everyone is enamored with.

I bet he can, but it won't matter because Lebron is 2 tiers above Kidd in coaching.

Back in the beginning of the season when the Cavs were easily cruising, Bucks beat them, and Kyrie threw some shade, Bucks almost beat them again next day but lost OT. I don't think they've played since the bucks revival and Cavs descent after break.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls have the advantage since they are at home court and also have the relaxing familiarity of having no idea who is going to play pointguard

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Femur posted:

I bet he can, but it won't matter because Lebron is 2 tiers above Kidd in coaching.

Back in the beginning of the season when the Cavs were easily cruising, Bucks beat them, and Kyrie threw some shade, Bucks almost beat them again next day but lost OT. I don't think they've played since the bucks revival and Cavs descent after break.

That OT game was great. They didn't have Middleton at the time but they did have Jabari. Man this Bucks team is set to make some serious noise next year when they have their full roster.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Hakeem was nowhere in the conversation for 95 MVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

That OT game was great. They didn't have Middleton at the time but they did have Jabari. Man this Bucks team is set to make some serious noise next year when they have their full roster.

i wish the bucks success on waiting for their star Chicago player with severe knee trauma to be Back

• Locked thread