Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

Just to pile on because it makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VuJ6dX5Tw

So many contested shots and quick isos. He plays exactly like a 2k player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Rick I was too young to care about it at the time but were people as retarded about prime kobe as they are about Russ

Prime Kobe definitely had people who were hero-worshiping more than Russ does, but I think the other side of this is more people who had a vitriolic hatred.

81-point-game-era-Kobe was definitely polarizing. Much less so in the Pau/Kobe era.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Geeze I wonder why no one thought to pack the paint or build their defenses around stopping these guys. It's almost like . . . there was something else happening in these games that caused teams to think single coverage on these guys was a good idea.

Derek Fisher's jacked arms and propensity for hard screens?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Spacebump posted:

Everyone ripping on Westbrook is hilarious because if you switched what teams Westbrook and Harden were on, the Rockets would still be in the lead.

I'm certain that a team built around sharing the ball would excel under the leadership of Russell Westbrook

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Kobe inspired a lot of dumb hatred due to early success and being on the Lakers. The Kobe Shaq team was not liked by many (and loved by many.) When it broke up and Kobe had a gap between rings, this led to many claiming he only won because Shaq. (and that he played "the wrong way") Kobe also was hated on for wanting to be the next Jordan. Similar to how LeBron was for picking #23. However, I'd like to take this time to say Dirk would have won more titles with Kobe's teams than Kobe. Dirk and Shaq would have been the most unstoppable duo in NBA history and Dirk wouldn't have helped run Shaq out of town.

Intruder posted:

I'm certain that a team built around sharing the ball would excel under the leadership of Russell Westbrook

Mike D'Antoni would be the best coach Westbrook ever had.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 20, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, the whole sexual assault thing ...

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Westbrook kept them in the game, and then he shot them out of the game. The end.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Russ, Oladipo, Dougie D, Grant and Taj. The new Lineup of Death.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jack's Flow posted:

Westbrook kept them in the game, and then he shot them out of the game. The end.

If he was a real leader he would have let Oladipo, Grant and Roberson shoot them out of the game instead.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

leftist heap posted:

Doug McDermott will ball out of his mind and score 30

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

If he was a real leader he would have let Oladipo, Grant and Roberson shoot them out of the game instead.

13 assists clearly indicates ball-hog tendencies.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Mike D'Antoni would be the best coach Westbrook ever had.

Scotty and Billy are both very good so maybe but I don't know about that. It's closer than most who are about to quote this think

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

leftist heap posted:

imho Ibaka would be perfect as a small ball 5 against the Rockets.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Playoff-Ibaka is still legit good

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah, pair that with a long wing who can shoot and another guard who can score and you've got yourself a finals team.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

13 assists clearly indicates ball-hog tendencies.

How many assists did he have at the end of the game when Houston was catching up and pulling away

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

New Game of Zones is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Jr4Qf_6oE

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Russ will tear us all apart.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

How many assists did he have at the end of the game when Houston was catching up and pulling away

He had two in the fourth quarter and three total in the second half

Also thank goodness for Sweet Lou

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

Rick I was too young to care about it at the time but were people as retarded about prime kobe as they are about Russ

Very much so when it came to fans.

Although the media was (sometimes) softer on him because the "raw stats tell the whole story" reporters hadn't really emerged yet. Ultimately those guys started their careers writing dumb things about Kobe but that started like ten years ago.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hated Kobe for literally his entire career right up until his final game which was amazing and I loved it

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
It's like Westbrook watched the basketball episode of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and took the entirely wrong message from it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Russ cannot fail, he can only be failed :colbert:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

leftist heap posted:

Russ cannot fail, he can only be failed :colbert:

So Russ is the GOP of basketball? Interesting.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dokmo posted:

Just to pile on because it makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VuJ6dX5Tw

The Yahoo caption reads like an Onion header "Awful fourth ruins historic night for area man's NBA dream"

Spacebump posted:

Mike D'Antoni would be the best coach Westbrook ever ignored.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Cleaning The Glass looks like it's on pace to be the best hoops blog right now. The new one on Utah/Clippers series: https://cleaningtheglass.com/the-best-adjustment/
has a great clip of Steve Clifford pointing out the utter vacuity of sports journalism.

quote:

The conventional wisdom of playoff adjustments is that the losing team needs to change something, and if they don’t, their coach must be asleep at the wheel. That conventional wisdom comes from a results-oriented approach: the results didn’t match what you wanted, so you have to change something. But that’s just change for change’s sake, and ignores that what generated those results is part strategy, sure, but also part execution and part plain, old luck.

Clifford is saying that, before you adjust, you have to determine in which of those three buckets the problem lies: “You [the media] watch these games, you just come up like something’s got to change [strategically]. Sometimes, you just have to do the basic things better.” The temptation will always be to change the strategy and make an adjustment, because as a coach that’s the only thing you have full control over. You can exhort your players to execute the strategy better, and you can pray that your luck changes, but if you want to be sure something will be different, the only lever you can pull is making an adjustment to Xs and Os. So that’s where everyone’s thoughts naturally go. But if the problem is execution, shifting the strategy will probably only make things worse.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Thanks to this post I looked up that dude's timeline, and after looking at a link he posted apparently Jimmie Walker and Ann Coulter are in a relationship.

Holy balls 2017 just gets weirder and weirder.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah for those of us who watched the game there isn't any debate. He went total hero ball from about midway through the third quarter.
As much as he dominated the game in the first half, he lost the game in the second.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NBA Playgrounds roster is out. "hundreds more later" No Kobe or Jordan :(
https://twitter.com/nba_playgrounds/status/855141658026942464

Penny made it into the game. Shocked Seth Curry isn't one of the Mavs initially in game. Only Curry not to make it. I hope classic players that played for multiple teams have different jersey options. It'd be cool to play as Kidd with a Mavs jersey instead of Nets. Robinson is in but not Duncan.

Edit: No Steve Nash

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 20, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol I just saw that javale had 15 points on 7-7 shooting, 5 rebounds and 4 blocks in 13 minutes last night.

REDEMPTION TOUR

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Duncan withheld the rights to his image in protest of the game's shallow character leveling system.

e: kareem is also missing. i hope they add him and he has an alternate costume of an airline pilot uniform

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

I have no idea why but for some reason I thought Adam Silver was gay (but just not out).

This is the first time I have learned something thanks to Magic

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Adun posted:

I have no idea why but for some reason I thought Adam Silver was gay (but just not out).

This is the first time I have learned something thanks to Magic
Adam Silver is actually a unisex vampire.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

People still name their kids Louise?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

milk milk lemonade posted:

I mean poo poo, anyone remember Boobie Gibson?

Yes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zogo, can you evaluate Adjusted Ring Share as a metric.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

Very much so when it came to fans.

Although the media was (sometimes) softer on him because the "raw stats tell the whole story" reporters hadn't really emerged yet. Ultimately those guys started their careers writing dumb things about Kobe but that started like ten years ago.

Nice nice

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Intruder posted:

All the old timey names like Maude and Bernice are about to have a roaring comeback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lowe on his podcast was pointing out russel wasn't hero balling with shooters on the floor and was a +11. :shrug:

• Locked thread