Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Alternator(? can't think of the correct word atm for what's on a bike) is probably hosed and not charging the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If it got weaker and weaker it's the battery. Probably not getting charged enough during daily riding.

Don't ride your bike if you're falling asleep on your feet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MrKatharsis posted:

If it got weaker and weaker it's the battery. Probably not getting charged enough during daily riding.

Don't ride your bike if you're falling asleep on your feet.

Forgot to add that the light stayed strong the whole time. I'll check the battery again though.

Edit*
Yeah, I know I shouldn't be riding in this condition and my only defense is that it is literally a 2 mile trip on a straight road with 0 traffic and no trees to run into.

So I'll be sure to find something dumb and unique to do so I can join Razzled and mootmoot in infamy.

Speaking of Razzled, I haven't seen him on in a while. He ok?

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 20, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Not sure, I sent him a letter to ask how he was but it got returned with "Could not be delivered" written on it. Who knows.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shimrod posted:

Not sure, I sent him a letter to ask how he was but it got returned with "Could not be delivered" written on it. Who knows.

:lol: I'm still awake enough to appreciate this

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Rode my bike several times today on my way back and forth between class, everything felt fine, no trouble. About an hour ago I walked out and tried to start it with no luck. It kinda rolled over a few times and chugged a bit before it slowly got weaker and weaker and stopped doing anything but clicking. Waited a minute and tried again. Same reaction. Battery is only a few months old so it isn't that.

It's exactly that, with a potential side of something like this.

Shimrod posted:

Alternator(? can't think of the correct word atm for what's on a bike) is probably hosed and not charging the battery.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Slim Pickens posted:

Who makes cool motorcycle shirts that aren't absurdly priced? Don't wanna pay some Dutch hipster $45 for a wearable crayon drawing of a cafe racer.

http://www.redtorpedo.com do motorcycle t-shirts and others but are based in Glasgow so postage might be a but steep but the t-shirts are made out of thick fabric.

http://www.motolegends.com have a lot of retro stuff and is again British based but good (you will want the merchandise section)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

It's exactly that, with a potential side of something like this.

Yeah, you guys were right. Fired up as soon as I got there and I took a 20 minute ride or so to build up a charge.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, you guys were right. Fired up as soon as I got there and I took a 20 minute ride or so to build up a charge.

The DRZ (according to random poo poo I've read on the internet) doesn't really have the greatest charging system ever, and the battery is really tiny. I've stranded myself in a whataburger parking lot for the exact same reason.

Get a kickstarter, or do like me and throw it on a battery tender every now and then to top it off overnight.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 20, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait you can retrofit a DRZ with a kickstarter? Suddenly, they're awesome again.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Wait you can retrofit a DRZ with a kickstarter? Suddenly, they're awesome again.

Yeah, iirc it's about $200 and really not all that hard to do. Definitely on my to-eventually-do list whenever I decide I hate money.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 20, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Despite the age of the battery, I would still suspect it. If it quacks like a duck, etc

E: new page and already solved

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Foxtrot_13 posted:

http://www.redtorpedo.com do motorcycle t-shirts and others but are based in Glasgow so postage might be a but steep but the t-shirts are made out of thick fabric.

http://www.motolegends.com have a lot of retro stuff and is again British based but good (you will want the merchandise section)

These are both great, thanks!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

The DRZ (according to random poo poo I've read on the internet) doesn't really have the greatest charging system ever, and the battery is really tiny. I've stranded myself in a whataburger parking lot for the exact same reason.

Get a kickstarter, or do like me and throw it on a battery tender every now and then to top it off overnight.

Yeah, my commute is 2 miles (I've earned it after 7 years of 60-100 mile round trip commutes) and the last week I was so busy that all my runs were directly there, so no charging. Normally I take a 10-15 mile route up through some hills before going there.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation for the stop and go plugger. Worked pretty well. I keep checking the psi constantly and nothing has come out. Random question about trimming the excess off the plug. The puncture was in the recess of the tread so should I trim it and shape it to match the recess or just leave it flush with the top of the tread?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Trim it down flush with the recess or else it gets torn up as the tread wears down and can fail. Happened on a car tire I plugged.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Stupid question time.... a stinkbug that was residing in the pour spout of a gas can fell into my gas tank while I was filling up. Should I be worried about its carcass jamming up the fuel filter, or will it basically dissolve in there?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

It'll probably be too big to get past the tank, and will probably dissolve.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stupid question time.... a stinkbug that was residing in the pour spout of a gas can fell into my gas tank while I was filling up. Should I be worried about its carcass jamming up the fuel filter, or will it basically dissolve in there?

If it's an injected bike it'll have a gauze mesh for the pump intake which will stop the corpse. If it's carby it will have mesh on the petcock snorkels. I wouldn't worry.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Slavvy posted:

If it's an injected bike it'll have a gauze mesh for the pump intake which will stop the corpse. If it's carby it will have mesh on the petcock snorkels. I wouldn't worry.

Thanks! That's a relief... I did a double take when I saw it clinging for life on the edge of the inside. I actually kinda felt bad as I watched it slowly lose its grip to the fumes and fall in :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shimrod posted:

It'll probably be too big to get past the tank, and will probably dissolve.

The real question is: how much horsepower do you gain from dissolved bug guts in your gasoline?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The bike eats the bug heart and gains its power.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks! That's a relief... I did a double take when I saw it clinging for life on the edge of the inside. I actually kinda felt bad as I watched it slowly lose its grip to the fumes and fall in :(

It's a stinkbug. It's the one being in nature that tries to kill itself in the strangest methods possible. Trust me, it wanted this death.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

The bike eats the bug heart and gains its power.

Downside: bike exhaust now smells like farts.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

No, they won't. Testing:

If your jeans held up, you got lucky. And none of this speaks to the possibilities of your jeans causing the rash directly while remaining undamaged. If you want cheap protection, throw kneepads on, they'll help avoid serious knee injury far better than anything else.

I'm skipping some pages and I'm sorry if this has been dealt with, but how do you guys feel about Duluth Trading Co.'s firehose pants? They used to have a story in their catalog saying it held up to an asphalt slide on a motorcycle accident. Is it a lie?

In don't see the ad anymore, but basically a guy said they saved his skin.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Wendigee posted:

I'm skipping some pages and I'm sorry if this has been dealt with, but how do you guys feel about Duluth Trading Co.'s firehose pants? They used to have a story in their catalog saying it held up to an asphalt slide on a motorcycle accident. Is it a lie?

I'm sure they're good tough pants, but I highly doubt they can even compare to the shittiest of textile pants when it comes to motorcycle crash protection.

E: They're probably still lightyears ahead of Levis if they're anything like the Bulwark denim FR pants that I have for work.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 22, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Wendigee posted:

Any cotton blend is going to pretty much dissolve on contact with the asphalt. The demo my friend always goes by is "give a belt sander to your worst enemy and let them apply it anywhere they want for 5-10 seconds". Then think about what gear you're comfortable with.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Something is amiss in my carbs after cleaning them. First long ride I did after the clean, it felt like it would occasionally accelerate or slow down a little bit while at steady throttle (maybe like a 1mph change in either direction). Thought it was because it was really windy, but it seemed too "well defined" for it to be wind. Took another ride today on an empty road, held the throttle steady, bike slowed 10 entire mph (slowly, over the course of like a quarter to half a mile). It's intermittent, other times it will maintain steady speed.

Mixture screws are 2.5 turns out, I haven't fine-tuned them. Haven't synced the carbs. Removed inline fuel filter to replace it with a real external filter, but the problem was happening both before and after that, so I don't think it's related. I bent one of the float tangs cause I thought it was too low, but I bent it back to its previous position when I realized it was fine. They have a range of like 2mm anyway, and both are well within that. Fresh gas this morning. Diaphragms were a-ok, fuel needle tips weren't dished.

So - what the poo poo?

M42 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 22, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Wendigee posted:

Anecdote is not data

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

M42 posted:

Something is amiss in my carbs after cleaning them. First long ride I did after the clean, it felt like it would occasionally accelerate or slow down a little bit while at steady throttle (maybe like a 1mph change in either direction). Thought it was because it was really windy, but it seemed too "well defined" for it to be wind. Took another ride today on an empty road, held the throttle steady, bike slowed 10 entire mph (slowly, over the course of like a quarter to half a mile). It's intermittent, other times it will maintain steady speed.

Mixture screws are 2.5 turns out, I haven't fine-tuned them. Haven't synced the carbs. Removed inline fuel filter to replace it with a real external filter, but the problem was happening both before and after that, so I don't think it's related. I bent one of the float tangs cause I thought it was too low, but I bent it back to its previous position when I realized it was fine. They have a range of like 2mm anyway, and both are well within that. Fresh gas this morning. Diaphragms were a-ok, fuel needle tips weren't dished.

So - what the poo poo?

How many rpms when it begins and when it ends and how long of a duration. It could just be in your head and besides: When it doubt, throttle it out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Around 9k, but that's cause 9k is where I spend most of my time while riding - it's happened at lower speeds. Sometimes just for a second or two, other times (like the 10mph drop) it's longer. Definitely not in my imagination (I wish!). I feel my butt push against the back of the seat when it accelerates during steady throttle. I keep having to move my drat throttle hand to keep my speed consistent, and it wasn't like that before the clean.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Hows the filter on the petcock in your tank

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hmm, I'll check that the next time the tank's almost empty. Maybe I'll try riding on reserve too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Try temporarily removing the fuel filter.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's out, I actually haven't put the replacement on cause I'm waiting on some extra fuel line.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Sync your carbs, do your float height properly, check to make sure the petcock isn't getting obstructed some how I guess. If you get on it and rip it wide open throttle through the gears and really blaze that 0-60 in 15 flat, does it do anything weird?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

You think you may be paying extra attention since you just did the carbs but really you're just noticing gradual elevation changes?
I agree that you should sync your carbs and fine tune the needles but most times if the carbs have problems they are less transient in my experience.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
This is kind of a general question, but I'm looking for some guidance.

I've got a 2014 Ninja 300 with almost 10k miles on it. I've had the valves adjusted per the manual (at 7500k) and pretty regular oil changes, usually about every 1500-2000 miles. What other things should I be thinking about besides tires/brakes? Is there any maintenance I might not know about that needs to be done?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Lynza posted:

This is kind of a general question, but I'm looking for some guidance.

I've got a 2014 Ninja 300 with almost 10k miles on it. I've had the valves adjusted per the manual (at 7500k) and pretty regular oil changes, usually about every 1500-2000 miles. What other things should I be thinking about besides tires/brakes? Is there any maintenance I might not know about that needs to be done?

The manual should have a list; air filter should be one of them, and plugs at some point. Of course you should keep an eye on your chain/sprocket. Also that's an excessive interval for oil changes. Read the manual...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Step One: file that owner's manual in the manila folder containing all the IKEA assembly instructions, the manual for the TV you gave away 5 years ago, and the warranty on your gen 1 iPod.

Step Two: Buy the legit service manual for the bike, not a Haynes, and not a cd from Hong Kong. The price will be painful, but the ROI will be quick.

Step Three: Skim through it; no need to pay attention to engine tear down at this point, but the recurring tasks will be spelled out completely.

Step Four: don't be an idiot like me, ignore this common advice, and wait several years before becoming a convert.