Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Question!

I just decided to get a whole new tire on the drz instead of replacing the tube, so now I'm running a full street tire up front and a 50-50 in back. The bike recommend 18 psi up front and 22 rear. Should I really have the front that low or should I he running it at 30 with a street tire? The guy at the shop was saying 30 up front, but I thought it was generally best to go with the bikes recommendation.

I think I'm running 25/28 on pilot powers, fwiw. 30 is fine and you'll spend less on tires than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Any good motorcycle gear shops in DC that anyone knows of? Or the surrounding area?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Coleman Powersports is alright for trying gear on. Once you know your size, find it cheaper somewhere online. Cycle Gear is only good for trying on some alpinestars/dainese stuff + big name helmets. Don't even look at all the bilt crap they have, it's awful

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm looking at a 2-Bros Juice Box someone's selling on the FZ6 forums. Anyone have any experience with them?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:downs: nvm, I'm an idiot

M42 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 24, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Going home tonight the highway was closed (I guess there was some kind of fire?). I took an alternate route I've taken before. On the way up the hill, there were a lot of oil spots in my lane, which I tried to avoid, but the traffic was so slow that it was mostly "go forward 5 feet, wait, go forward 4 feet, wait," etc. Up at the top of the hill, the two lanes converge into one (one going uphill, one coming downhill) and go into a little tunnel. Right before the tunnel, a slick of some kind was covering the entire roadway, both lanes, rainbow city for about 100 feet. There was no avoiding it.

It wasn't slick, so I didn't worry too much, but later as I was going around a corner, my back tire started sliding out. Now, it's been raining for a couple days, so the road should be pretty clean at this point (obviously not where the megaslick was), and I'm thinking maybe I had residual grease or whatever the hell was slicking the road still on my tires. Is there any way to get that poo poo off the tires if that happens again? I'm thinking I may go in tomorrow and get some new tires anyway, it's about time, but if there's a trick anyone knows, I would love to hear about it.

The tires feel fine now, and I only had that one slip, but it definitely put me on edge.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lynza posted:

Going home tonight the highway was closed (I guess there was some kind of fire?). I took an alternate route I've taken before. On the way up the hill, there were a lot of oil spots in my lane, which I tried to avoid, but the traffic was so slow that it was mostly "go forward 5 feet, wait, go forward 4 feet, wait," etc. Up at the top of the hill, the two lanes converge into one (one going uphill, one coming downhill) and go into a little tunnel. Right before the tunnel, a slick of some kind was covering the entire roadway, both lanes, rainbow city for about 100 feet. There was no avoiding it.

It wasn't slick, so I didn't worry too much, but later as I was going around a corner, my back tire started sliding out. Now, it's been raining for a couple days, so the road should be pretty clean at this point (obviously not where the megaslick was), and I'm thinking maybe I had residual grease or whatever the hell was slicking the road still on my tires. Is there any way to get that poo poo off the tires if that happens again? I'm thinking I may go in tomorrow and get some new tires anyway, it's about time, but if there's a trick anyone knows, I would love to hear about it.

The tires feel fine now, and I only had that one slip, but it definitely put me on edge.
Small amount of dawn and alot of water?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Would driving through a dirt parking lot or something like that help?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Hold the front brake really hard and then tac it up and dump the clutch and burn off any impurities on the rubber

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
My wife's bike (Suzuki s40) is idling fine but when she gives it throttle it starts backfiring (after firing? Fireballs from exhaust) and stalls. I'm thinking loose wire causing it to not spark occasionally under load? Is there anything else that could cause that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

aehiilrs posted:

My wife's bike (Suzuki s40) is idling fine but when she gives it throttle it starts backfiring (after firing? Fireballs from exhaust) and stalls. I'm thinking loose wire causing it to not spark occasionally under load? Is there anything else that could cause that?

Running out of gas.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

Small amount of dawn and alot of water?

Oh, the dish soap. Jesus, for a couple of minutees I was thinking ANOINT YOUR WHEELS AT SUNRISE! BATHE THEM WITH PURE WATER, IN THE FIRST LIGHT OF THE NEW DAY!

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Z3n posted:

Running out of gas.

As in carb bowl not filling fast enough/plugged fuel line or something else?

Edit: got a chance to play with it/walk it home at lunch and yup, it's a fuel supply issue of some sort.

aehiilrs fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 26, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Phy posted:

Oh, the dish soap. Jesus, for a couple of minutees I was thinking ANOINT YOUR WHEELS AT SUNRISE! BATHE THEM WITH PURE WATER, IN THE FIRST LIGHT OF THE NEW DAY!

I'm definitely doing this next time it happens.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Phy posted:

Oh, the dish soap. Jesus, for a couple of minutees I was thinking ANOINT YOUR WHEELS AT SUNRISE! BATHE THEM WITH PURE WATER, IN THE FIRST LIGHT BLOOD OF THE NEW DAY!
:black101:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I got a G650GS with 4k miles on it, it's started doing this thing where it dies when I pull the clutch in at 3rd. It won't start until I turn it fully off and then it'll start fine. It was as doing this weird surging thing with the engine noise in 1st as well, the bike was running fine though. I don't know poo poo about bikes so it's sorta worrisome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

One stupid trick I learned from Solaire: I always leave my bike outside for ten minutes before riding and I never lose grip. PRAISE THE SUN!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Phy posted:

Oh, the dish soap. Jesus, for a couple of minutees I was thinking ANOINT YOUR WHEELS AT SUNRISE! BATHE THEM WITH PURE WATER, IN THE FIRST LIGHT OF THE NEW DAY BLOOD MOON! HAIL SAITAN

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I have one leaky fork seal that's getting replaced under warranty after 4.5 years of my bike's existence. Should I pay out of pocket to have the other one done at the same time, even though it's not leaking? Or are fork seals a "replace only if broken" item?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do the other one at the same time. The labour for taking the forks out and apart is pretty enormous compared to the price of one measly seal, and half the work will already be done under warranty. You'll basically only be paying for the seal itself plus the time it takes to replace it on one fork (like half an hour).

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Thanks for the reply, makes sense. I had them replace both based on your advice, they're all nice and shiny now. Ran about a hundo parts+labor from the dealer for the non-warranty side, but hopefully they'll last plenty long. It's about 4 months away from the warranty running out, so the timing is probably right.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dalrain posted:

I have one leaky fork seal that's getting replaced under warranty after 4.5 years of my bike's existence. Should I pay out of pocket to have the other one done at the same time, even though it's not leaking? Or are fork seals a "replace only if broken" item?
What bike do you have with a warranty that long?
Are they really only replacing the one seal? That's kind of absurd. Fork seal jobs are always both under normal circumstances, even if only one is leaking.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So apparently my fuel tank has a ton of water in it. I know I need to empty it out, but does anyone have a preferred additive to help get rid of the remaining moisture in the tank?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Are they really only replacing the one seal? That's kind of absurd. Fork seal jobs are always both under normal circumstances, even if only one is leaking.

Over here all the jap brands have five year warranties nowadays, don't know how they're rolling in the US.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

So apparently my fuel tank has a ton of water in it. I know I need to empty it out, but does anyone have a preferred additive to help get rid of the remaining moisture in the tank?

Just fill it up with petrol, which already has a shitload of detergent and isopropanol in it to soak up water. If you're still feeling nervous stir in a bit of isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), obviously with a wooden stick.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Honda, 5 year warranty. Bought it used from a friend in the bay area. And yeah, it's lame that they only wanted to cover the one, but at least that's something.

Edit: They actually stated it's considered a wearable part, but due to the low mileage on this particular machine, they extended coverage anyway. So really I'm just happy it got done before the whole thing expired.

Dalrain fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Haha, no. I've replaced individual brake rotors under warranty, as well as individual shocks/struts ands other similar scenarios where you should ideally do both. No warranty department I'm aware of on god's green earth will pay to fix something pre-emptively unless it's a campaign.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
A car obliviously merged into me today and nearly ran me off the road. I gave a bunch of horn and let them go ahead, and then when I saw the car had stopped at a stoplight up ahead, I pulled along side and gave the driver the two fingers to the eyes "I'm watching you/keep your eyes open", poking at my visor then stabbing forwards gesture. Now I feel kind of bad about doing so. Was I needlessly mean?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

A car obliviously merged into me today and nearly ran me off the road. I gave a bunch of horn and let them go ahead, and then when I saw the car had stopped at a stoplight up ahead, I pulled along side and gave the driver the two fingers to the eyes "I'm watching you/keep your eyes open", poking at my visor then stabbing forwards gesture. Now I feel kind of bad about doing so. Was I needlessly mean?

"Hello reverend I'm just calling because I swallowed a toothpick..."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're fine so long as you were making the Deniro face

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 28, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I think you were perfectly within your right, and also not particularly mean. Had you thrown a rock at their car, flipped them off, screamed obscenities, I would say that was probably too much.

One of my coworkers tells of a friend of his who rides motorcycles. The guy keeps D cell batteries in his pocket, and throws them at the windows of cars who piss him off. That is taking it too far.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Lynza posted:

I think you were perfectly within your right, and also not particularly mean. Had you thrown a rock at their car, flipped them off, screamed obscenities, I would say that was probably too much.

One of my coworkers tells of a friend of his who rides motorcycles. The guy keeps D cell batteries in his pocket, and throws them at the windows of cars who piss him off. That is taking it too far.

Those stories are 99.9% shitthatdoesnthappen.txt.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Snowdens Secret posted:

Those stories are 99.9% shitthatdoesnthappen.txt.

I've ridden with a guy who threw a pocket of ball bearings at someone's windshield. Cool guy nonetheless

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Every time I've heard people mention tossing ball bearings and poo poo I always try to remind them that there's a really good chance they aren't going to even hit the car they toss them at and are instead going to break some other sods window who just happens to be driving behind the whole stupidity convoy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bugdrvr posted:

Every time I've heard people mention tossing ball bearings and poo poo I always try to remind them that there's a really good chance they aren't going to even hit the car they toss them at and are instead going to break some other sods window who just happens to be driving behind the whole stupidity convoy.

Stupidity Convoy sounds like a mint band name I must say.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I just try to balance the "car drivers must be educated@!!" :arghfist::hitler: thing with the "hey, not all motorcyclists are rude assholes" thing. There's got to be a balance somewhere in the middle that gets the maximum number of people to be safer on the road, without also pissing them off and giving them something to hold against bikers.

Here's another theoretical question: does riding closer to redline decrease your engine life? Say it's 12500 RPM...will your engine last longer if you stay around 7500 most of the time than if you like to stay down a gear or two and keep it at 11500? Or is the redline set in a way that the stresses on the engine at any lower RPM are functionally the same?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I just try to balance the "car drivers must be educated@!!" :arghfist::hitler: thing with the "hey, not all motorcyclists are rude assholes" thing. There's got to be a balance somewhere in the middle that gets the maximum number of people to be safer on the road, without also pissing them off and giving them something to hold against bikers.

Here's another theoretical question: does riding closer to redline decrease your engine life? Say it's 12500 RPM...will your engine last longer if you stay around 7500 most of the time than if you like to stay down a gear or two and keep it at 11500? Or is the redline set in a way that the stresses on the engine at any lower RPM are functionally the same?

There's a reason they don't just chain together a thousand two-stroke petrol engines when they're making engines for supertankers...

Even if the stresses were the same (they're not, they rise exponentially with engine speed) you'd still be putting more revs on the engine, which means more wear on all those sliding surfaces. Obviously if you start the engine lugging with the revs too low or you've got a particularly bad lean spot in the rev range that might cause wear but yeah, don't run your engine off the redline all the time.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
E: beaten ^^^

Sagebrush posted:

Why would you even want to run at redline all the time? The rev limiter is set so that you won't blow the motor, not so that you won't put wear on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The question wasn't "should you run at redline all the time", it was "does engine speed affect engine life if it's within operating parameters." If you have two identical bikes with a redline of 14000 RPM, and they're ridden in identical manners by two identical twins, except that one guy shifts later and his average RPM over the bike's life is 8000 RPM while the other guy's lifetime average is 6000 RPM, will the higher-RPM guy's bike blow up first?

Like I said, theoretical question. It came into my mind because I was talking with a friend about rotary engines and how you have to hit redline in them pretty regularly to burn off carbon, so driving like a grandma actually turns out to be worse.