Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

PantsBandit posted:

Just to clarify this post a bit further, the red chest bug apparently 100% kills your angel room chance. This obviously affects duality but also just in general I guess don't touch any red chests if you want an angel deal.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I would have sworn on my life that yesterday a red chest teleported me to an angel room. Maybe it dropped a Joker and I’m misremembering.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ariong posted:

I would have sworn on my life that yesterday a red chest teleported me to an angel room. Maybe it dropped a Joker and I’m misremembering.

Ok so I went back and read the bug note a bit more. What it looks like is once you touch your first red chest, the game determines if an angel or devil room for the current floor will spawn. That means you can still technically get an angel room after touching a red chest, but if you touch a red chest and then go try to donate or kill the devil beggar to up your angel room chances, no luck. The game has already decided at that point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PantsBandit posted:

Ok so I went back and read the bug note a bit more. What it looks like is once you touch your first red chest, the game determines if an angel or devil room for the current floor will spawn. That means you can still technically get an angel room after touching a red chest, but if you touch a red chest and then go try to donate or kill the devil beggar to up your angel room chances, no luck. The game has already decided at that point.

Oh okay. Cause I tested and still got angel rooms after touching a red chest. So basically it just decides on the spot the moment you touch a red chest and anything to influence angel or devil chances barring the ones that force a specific type of deal room to spawn will do nothing afterwards.

What a bizarre bug. :psyduck:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think I might have a hosed up brain because I like tainted Lazarus

I just wish damage crossed over, even if it's only 1/4 of the damage or whatever. Either that or a 3-4 room flip would make him way better

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Just had the perfect T. Lost Beast run! Got Damocles, D1, tarot cloth and a "the lovers?" card, which creates an item with no downside when playing as the Lost. Duplicated the card several times with D1, and turns out Damocles+tarot cloth+ the lovers? creates like 6 items.

Went ham in the shop and secret room to get mega mush and 4.5 volt for infinite mega mush in the Beast fight, schoolbag to also carry blank card+holy card, and used spindown dice to turn wavy mushroom into Psy fly for extra protection.

Secret room also popped eternal d6 and r key, but they were superfluous lol

I also had quad shot haemolacria+brim+continuum

Seriously perfect

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 28, 2021

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Do you guys ever purposefully skip item rooms for planetariums? I tried it today but the planetarium items just don't seem good enough to make it worth missing items. And even if you skip several you still don't guarantee yourself a planetarium.

I guess maybe the design is more to make not getting a key for an item room less of a feel-bad situation. But how frequently does that situation really happen on floor 2+ (the first floor where not opening an item room makes a difference)?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 29, 2021

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
Really the planetarium items are great for ascent runs since you can just get the items on the way back up. Outside of those...well if you can't access the item room for some reason (trying to hurry along for boss rush or just don't have keys), it can be nice to know that you may not be completely screwed over by it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

FlamingRok posted:

Really the planetarium items are great for ascent runs since you can just get the items on the way back up. Outside of those...well if you can't access the item room for some reason (trying to hurry along for boss rush or just don't have keys), it can be nice to know that you may not be completely screwed over by it.

Interesting it did not occur to me to use it in that situation so thanks.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

If you get Dreamcatcher early on, you can check if the next treasure is a stinker so you can safely skip it and increase your planetarium chances...

...at least in theory. I end up forgetting I have that item like 99% of the time and skip the cutscenes out of habit.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PantsBandit posted:

Do you guys ever purposefully skip item rooms for planetariums? I tried it today but the planetarium items just don't seem good enough to make it worth missing items. And even if you skip several you still don't guarantee yourself a planetarium.

I guess maybe the design is more to make not getting a key for an item room less of a feel-bad situation. But how frequently does that situation really happen on floor 2+ (the first floor where not opening an item room makes a difference)?

It's mostly meant as a consolation prize for missing an item room because you couldn't find a key. That or the dreamcatcher strat already mentioned

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

also good for tainted keeper since you have to pay money for the items anyway and the shops are usually straight up better

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

apparently the cracked crown achievement is straight up broken so hold off on going for that until there’s a confirmed fix

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't believe the game will get any more bug fixes :shobon:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there will be at least one more patch Eventually™

enjoy psy fly being a hard-carry defensive item while you still can

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

If I have to guess which passives will get nuked into mediocrity, it'll be Cube Baby, Echo Chamber, Freezer Baby, Ocular Rift, Psy Fly, Rock Bottom, Salvation, The Stairway, Twisted Pair, Uranus, and Worm Friend.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I want to like T. Eve, she can be devastating when she gets a good army of clots, but she dies so easily.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I find that the way to play Tainted Eve is to leave a couple of hearts unclotted in case of emergencies, it usually means shooting by tapping instead of holding the button but it's worth it. If you find Knockout drops you transform into Tainted Kenshiro.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You can press the fire button repeatedly rather than holding it down to avoid making more clots.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

watho posted:

there will be at least one more patch Eventually™

enjoy psy fly being a hard-carry defensive item while you still can

Wait is psy-fly bugged or something? It's extremely strong but so are other items.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Black August posted:

If I have to guess which passives will get nuked into mediocrity, it'll be Cube Baby, Echo Chamber, Freezer Baby, Ocular Rift, Psy Fly, Rock Bottom, Salvation, The Stairway, Twisted Pair, Uranus, and Worm Friend.
Cube baby? really? What do I not know?

I dont expect any nerfs to devil or secret room items tbh unless devil rooms get buffed somehow.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Wait is psy-fly bugged or something? It's extremely strong but so are other items.

psy fly blocks literally all bullets that are about to hit you. if you have psy fly you can stand still for any bullet hell style attack

watho
Aug 2, 2013

it’s considered the singularly best item in the game without any real contest

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

No Wave posted:

Cube baby? really? What do I not know?

I dont expect any nerfs to devil or secret room items tbh unless devil rooms get buffed somehow.

I think it's less that Cube baby is a good item and more that freezing is an extremely powerful status effect.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think freezing is as powerful as people think it is. As far as I know things freeze when they would otherwise die, it's not an instakill effect, and pushing the statues around is super fun but doesnt really get me that much closer to winning a run (outside of greed mode)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah freezing is good but i wouldn’t call it op in any way

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The best thing about freeze is that it stops effects triggered on death, so all those monsters that spawn more enemies or shoot poo poo when you kill them get completely defanged.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Not giving tainted lost any defensive items is cruel.

Not giving me any loving holy cards whatsoever in a run to Mother is even crueller, especially when I die to Mother.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pentaro posted:

The best thing about freeze is that it stops effects triggered on death, so all those monsters that spawn more enemies or shoot poo poo when you kill them get completely defanged.

That's what makes it so great, I should have said 'Freeze status gets nerfed' rather than list the ice items

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Been working on completion marks ahead of the switch Repentance launch. I've finished a couple characters, but are there any particular unlocks I should prioritize?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You need to beat Hush three times in order to gain access to a lot of the new content, so if you haven’t done that yet, you should.

You have to get every Hard Mode completion mark with the Lost to unlock one item, and Repentence adds more completion marks, so definitely do that.

If you’re reliant on the D20 game break strategy to beat Greed(ier) mode then you should get those done now, because that gets nerfed in repentance.

That’s all I can think of.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Ariong posted:

You need to beat Hush three times in order to gain access to a lot of the new content, so if you haven’t done that yet, you should.

You have to get every Hard Mode completion mark with the Lost to unlock one item, and Repentence adds more completion marks, so definitely do that.

If you’re reliant on the D20 game break strategy to beat Greed(ier) mode then you should get those done now, because that gets nerfed in repentance.

That’s all I can think of.

Oh right, thanks for reminding me about hush.

I downloaded a 100% file on PC to check the expansion out and hot drat, alt path kicked my rear end several times even on normal. Game good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

watho posted:

psy fly blocks literally all bullets that are about to hit you. if you have psy fly you can stand still for any bullet hell style attack

Ha. I didn't realize it was 100% effective like that. Surely they must have intended it to work that way but it's still crazy.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's not 100%, you can still get hit if there are enough bullets to the point it can't keep up. It is extremely strong though.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I can attest to it not entirely making up for being terrible at the game.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I found out that shielded tears is one of the best first items you can get for Jacob & Essau. I gave it to jacob along with all defensive items while essau got all the offense stuff. Mother was a cakewalk.

Now that I’ve gotten the hang of this character their not AS frustrating as they were when I first started but god drat are they aggravating. Can’t wait to fill out this post it so i can never touch them again

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

It's not 100%, you can still get hit if there are enough bullets to the point it can't keep up. It is extremely strong though.

no if you stand still it literally is 100%

watho
Aug 2, 2013

okay maybe not 100% but look at the examples in this. it’s absurd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7ozbdtTxs

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

watho posted:

okay maybe not 100% but look at the examples in this. it’s absurd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7ozbdtTxs

Yeah it's good as hell. I think a fair nerf would be to stop it from throwing the bullets back. Auto-block of bullets alone is plenty fun.

If I had to vote for a best straight-up tear mod, it'd be Sacred Heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The right way to break out of a losing streak is always complaining on the Awful Forums.

Vade Retro is pretty fun, and T. Eve is bonkers with something like Parasitoid that adds per-shot effects that aren't weaker due to the clots' shooting.

Now to beat my head against Greedier Mode with T. Eve.