Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There aren't many fishing games on 3/DS, really. The Legend of the River King GBC games are on the VC, do they count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Didn't the Mother 3 guy make a fishing game?

e: He did on the SNES. I am over 20 years late.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes, Shigesato Itoi (well, HAL) made a couple of fishing games, one for Super Famicom and one for N64.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If any aussies are after the Xenoblade faceplates, They're now up for preorder at EB Games. Also if you preorder Xenoblade 3DS at EB or JB, you apparently get a free Xenoblade Home theme.

edit: It will look like this, apparently;

I like the folder design, that's pretty nice.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of Layton. Has anyone seen this:

Thoughts?
Yes. I liked it. It's more Layton, for better or for worse. Layton himself is wonderfully smug throughout. It's been a while since I watched it though, so all I really remember is that I enjoyed it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That Xenoblade theme is a limited-time freebie in Europe, are they really making it a pre-order gimmick in AU? Lame.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got After Burner II and Ace Attorney trilogy to play during my mom's surgery and recover. I'm still itching for 1 more involved game as the other two are good short spurt games.

The eShop music keeps seducing me to get MM but everyone says that is a love it or hate it game. Kinda want New Leaf cause a friend said he would play if I get it. The cat buddies in the Monster Hunter Demo were :3: and Fantasy Life seems interesting but I wish there was a demo. I kind of want a fun and humours game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Housh posted:

I got After Burner II and Ace Attorney trilogy to play during my mom's surgery and recover. I'm still itching for 1 more involved game as the other two are good short spurt games.

The eShop music keeps seducing me to get MM but everyone says that is a love it or hate it game. Kinda want New Leaf cause a friend said he would play if I get it. The cat buddies in the Monster Hunter Demo were :3: and Fantasy Life seems interesting but I wish there was a demo. I kind of want a fun and humours game.

Get Majora's Mask.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Housh posted:

If you ever played and liked Ocarina of Time you'll probably like Majora's Mask, unless you really can't stand the idea of having a kind of time limit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies any good?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fuzz posted:

Yes, go get it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Saagonsa posted:

If you ever played and liked Ocarina of Time you'll probably like Majora's Mask, unless you really can't stand the idea of having a kind of time limit.

That's my fear. I loved OoT as a kid and the thought of it on a timer like the overworld is just dungeon on a timer sounds stressful and not fun. I do like the weird stuff though and I want to know who Tingle is.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Monster Hunter is great, like I have 300+ hours in MH3U on the 3DS alone. But do yourself a favor and look up some weapon tutorials once you find a weapon you like. There are some tricks that can take a weapon from good to basically unstoppable. Like the Lance and Shield seem slow as hell and tankish when you first pick them up, but once you learn when to "move cancel" and how to dodge with them, it becomes a really high damage quick weapon with incredible defense. I have killed more monsters faster with that then the technically higher damage Long Sword.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can play the song of time backwards and it like doubles or triples the time limit which gives you more than enough time to get things done, so it's not as stressful as you'd think

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Majora's Mask is probably the least stressful "time limit" ever though, to the point where it almost isn't one at all. There's no finite amount of game time; you run the three days over and over as many times as you want, and all of the dungeons are easily doable with plenty of time to spare if you start at the beginning of the first day and slow time down, which you'll basically always do first thing at the start of the first day anyway. The people who act like Majora's Mask's time element is a stress-inducing thing as opposed to just a neat gameplay mechanic have a really weird perception of it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Housh posted:

That's my fear. I loved OoT as a kid and the thought of it on a timer like the overworld is just dungeon on a timer sounds stressful and not fun. I do like the weird stuff though and I want to know who Tingle is.

It's really not all that stressful since you can reset time any time you want and all your main gear, money stored in the bank, teleport points (which you get pretty much every time you go to a new area), and cleared dungeons stay.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Fuzz posted:

Yes. It lacks that certain je ne sais quoi of the original trilogy, but it's definitely a good game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Housh posted:

You can slow down time to the point that it doesn't matter. There's also fast travel in the 3DS version.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

You can slow down time to the point that it doesn't matter. There's also fast travel in the 3DS version.

Yeah that sounds like my jam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Soul Glo posted:

The only change to the Fast Travel system is it gives you the Song for it as you enter the Swamp, rather than at an awful point near the end of getting to the first Temple.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
3ds also lets you move to specific times so its no big deal

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
What's the word on a grip for the NN3DS? It's wrecking my hands and I want to get in deep with MH.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks guys. Majora's Mask downloading. :)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It's not a time limit, it's the way to have a cycle where people have a schedule and lives and you get to play Zelda: Groundhogs Day.

You have over 2 hours per cycle.
It is never a race against the clock unless you are trying to do too much.
If you are worried about a time limit making you stressed you really shouldnt.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
What's considered the best flash cart to play old DS games on the 3DS?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

KI:U ground sections give me motion sickness. It's a cool game, though. Very impressive for a launch title, and interesting to see how many mechanics carried over to Super Smash Bros.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheHouseofM posted:

What's considered the best flash cart to play old DS games on the 3DS?

The DSTWO and R4iGold are the only ones that work on the newest firmware. The DSTWO is better since it can play GBA and SNES games natively. SNES emulation is poor apparently, dunno about GBA.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only change to the Fast Travel system is it gives you the Song for it as you enter the Swamp, rather than at an awful point near the end of getting to the first Temple.

Ah, guess I never made it to fast travel in the 64 version :shrug:

I'm enjoying Majora's Mask now as an adult since I've discovered I enjoy Rogue-likes like Rogue Legacy, Spelunky and The Binding of Isaac. Tastes change, turns out!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
However good loving luck getting a DSTWO as the gateway-equivalent is coming out "soon" and the few distributors that claim they have it are beyond seedy. I'm busy in a credit dispute over a DSTWO I should've had a month ago... Why did realhotstuff decide to close shop :(

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yeah, the GBA stuff I was interested in but with DSTWO's being out of stock everywhere I'd bother trusting I just decided to get an R4i for now since it's pretty cheap

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does the DSTWO even emulate GBA games well?

That's a shame that they discontinued it for a newer 3DS one since I wouldn't trust using a 3DS flash card since I don't want my system banned.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does the DSTWO even emulate GBA games well?

That's a shame that they discontinued it for a newer 3DS one since I wouldn't trust using a 3DS flash card since I don't want my system banned.

My research shows better than another DS cart would do but still not perfect.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It works, but games don't run great. Not enough to ruin the game in most cases, but very noticeable compared to playing it on a better emulator or original hardware.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Watrick posted:

What's the word on a grip for the NN3DS? It's wrecking my hands and I want to get in deep with MH.

Looks like the cyber grip is the only good solution at the moment, but it is like $40 shipped from Japan or something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've only just reached Lorule in Link Between Worlds. How far into the game am I, about a third?

It's really just not grabbing me :(

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Is there anyway to figure out what the next "special edition" new 3ds is? Like a certain time of year they usually announce one or anything like that. I'm considering snagging one but if they're coming out with a better option than red for me (girlfriend has black 3ds) than I'd like to consider it. Just curious thanks everyone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flyboi posted:

However good loving luck getting a DSTWO as the gateway-equivalent is coming out "soon" and the few distributors that claim they have it are beyond seedy. I'm busy in a credit dispute over a DSTWO I should've had a month ago... Why did realhotstuff decide to close shop :(

I've got one sitting in a drawer that I can't use because I don't have a DS to update the firmware with

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Ciaphas posted:

I've only just reached Lorule in Link Between Worlds. How far into the game am I, about a third?

It's really just not grabbing me :(

You are basically nowhere I think you're still setting up the story, how long have you been playing?

Edit: Upon further research you were right that seems like about a third. I just played it for a long time when I picked it up.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 1, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nolgthorn posted:

You are basically nowhere I think you're still setting up the story, how long have you been playing?

I dunno, two hours? Something like that? Why doesn't the load game screen have a timer on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I dunno, two hours? Something like that? Why doesn't the load game screen have a timer on it.

Because you can check the system's play log for that