Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Do you mean the cert on the public beta? I tried that, and it wont push the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

gypsyshred posted:

Do you mean the cert on the public beta? I tried that, and it wont push the update.

No. Your Apple Watch needs its own special certificate on it in order to get beta updates. It's currently not available to the public as far as I know, only to developers.

So basically, you need to wait.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Pretty sure it works just like iPhones and poo poo and your watch can be added to a developers list of devices.

I could be 700% wrong, but I feel 100% right.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

noirstronaut posted:

Pretty sure it works just like iPhones and poo poo and your watch can be added to a developers list of devices.

I could be 700% wrong, but I feel 100% right.

You need that profile, or it won't work.

Edit: and that "beta" build is the current GM candidate.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

gypsyshred posted:

Its considered :filez: but if you google it, its very easy to find.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Or you could just wait three agonizing days. v:shobon:v

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Went to red river gorge on Friday and cracked the watch face when climbing. That was dumb. :(

Goondolences.

Sapphire or Ion?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Very very glad for AppleCare.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EpicNemesis posted:

Goondolences.

Sapphire or Ion?

Ion. It's not terrible and the watch still works .. but :(

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Ion. It's not terrible and the watch still works .. but :(

You used a "sport" watch for sport is your error.

Jelly about Red River tho.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Gonna play some basketball in my sports coat.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I played basketball with it a few weeks ago cause I forgot to take it off, it was fine!

Although in one of the last games I nearly smacked someone right in the face with the watch face going for a rebound (...or maybe I did, but the watch and the guy's face were fine).

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Haggins posted:

Gonna play some basketball in my sports coat.

Don't you get it guys!!! The sports watch is designed for sport!!! If it was just meant to be the cheaper one then surely Apple would have called it "Apple Watch Cheapskate"!!!!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Nah I needed rock climbing watch. Too poor for it though. :(

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

monkeu posted:

Don't you get it guys!!! The sports watch is designed for sport!!! If it was just meant to be the cheaper one then surely Apple would have called it "Apple Watch Cheapskate"!!!!

The sport watch is designed for sport the way Sony's waterproof phone is waterproof.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I've been climbing with my sport watch since I got it (both gym and outside) and it has gotten a small scratch, nothing more.

Clearly Apple needs to add Rock Climbing to the Workout app.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

CoasterMaster posted:

I've been climbing with my sport watch since I got it (both gym and outside) and it has gotten a small scratch, nothing more.

Clearly Apple needs to add Rock Climbing to the Workout app.

They need something for a general weightlifting session other than "other".

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Nah I needed rock climbing watch. Too poor for it though. :(

Just get a G-Shock DW-5600 for $40 on Amazon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

monkeu posted:

I took my Apple Watch Cheapskate out when I played some pickup hockey and it broke when I fell down. What the gently caress, Apple?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Finally got my watch today after threatening to buy it since launch. I went with the 42 sport because it seems like it'll hold up well enough. Maybe next upgrade I'll get a stainless.

I know I've only had it for half a day but I'm happy with the functionality it offers. Before the watch rumors surfaced a couple years ago, I was planning on spending about $300 a nice dumb watch. It's been annoying waiting but I decided to hold off until this came out/ I could afford it.

I really like being able to get texts on my wrists and reply to them with Siri. I haven't tried taking a call on the watch yet, but being able to feel the call is great. When my phone is in my pocket, I often miss texts/calls because I rarely feel it going off. This is especially helpful to me since I work in an environment where I'm not supposed to pull my phone out on the factory floor. Glancing at a watch shouldn't be a problem.

That functionality and having the weather on the watch face is already enough to justify the price for me. Can't wait to play with it this week and check out OS2 tomorrow. Also looking forward to testing it out in the car.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone see anything else about this?

Ed Baig @edbaig
BREAKING: Apple found a bug in WatchOS2 and is NOT releasing the software today as planned. More details coming.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Geek blue balls.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
So here's a question - when I ran the iOS9 beta on my iPhone it wouldn't talk to my Watch so I had to revert... so should I hold off on the main iOS9 update until WatchOS is ready?

Articles are unclear on that one..

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

“We have discovered a bug in development of watchOS 2 that is taking a bit longer to fix than we expected,” an Apple spokesperson told TechCrunch. “We will not release watchOS 2 today but will shortly.”

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/16/apple-delays-release-of-watchos-2-due-to-bug/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kenderama posted:

So here's a question - when I ran the iOS9 beta on my iPhone it wouldn't talk to my Watch so I had to revert... so should I hold off on the main iOS9 update until WatchOS is ready?

Articles are unclear on that one..

I've been running the beta for 9 and now 9.1 and not had any issues. What do you mean by it wouldn't talk to it?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
WatchOS works just fine (Or, as fine as it would normally :v:) on iOS 9. You have to upgrade anyway in order to get WatchOS 2, so you might as well.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've been running the beta for 9 and now 9.1 and not had any issues. What do you mean by it wouldn't talk to it?

Well it was with the first two betas - everyone said you just had to toggle Bluetooth off/on and it would work, but basically the watch couldn't "see" the phone when it was running WatchOS 1.0.1 and the phone on iOS9.

Probably was fixed in the interim and I never checked again. Thanks!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Any word on what the 'critical bug' was that delayed OS 2?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Space Racist posted:

Any word on what the 'critical bug' was that delayed OS 2?

I don't know. I installed the the GM and it seemed fine.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know. I installed the the GM and it seemed fine.

The current guess in our office is that it's a "security" related issue. Or something involving the new native watch apps.

Considering the bugs in GM that I know of, I wonder what did make them go "Yeah, let's wait" :v:.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is there a list of apps that have complications? The only one I have is The Weather Channel app.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Current thinking is it's related to the battery problems in the beta and GM.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/apple-delays-watchos-2-after-discovering-battery-draining-bug-1520021

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

hannibal posted:

Current thinking is it's related to the battery problems in the beta and GM.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/apple-delays-watchos-2-after-discovering-battery-draining-bug-1520021

Strange, that's one thing I did experience in the beta but not the GM seed. Just looked at the battery widget and it's at 81%, and I've had it on since 7am.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone else had problems with Fantastical not notifying for reminders on their watch? All my settings look good, but i just cannot get this app to work with my reminders - they silently go into the notifications tray, but i don't get any kind of visual/audible/physical notification.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Has anyone else had problems with Fantastical not notifying for reminders on their watch? All my settings look good, but i just cannot get this app to work with my reminders - they silently go into the notifications tray, but i don't get any kind of visual/audible/physical notification.
I haven't tested if it's changed in OS 2, but the problem I had with Fantastical and the watch was that it seemed like the alerts (audible/tactile on the watch) needed the iPhone app to have sound notifications enabled. I had it disabled before cause I used a custom sound w/the stock calendar app while leaving visual notifications for Fantastical, and turning them on finally got the watch to ping me, vs just silently pushing to the Notification Center like you say. I have Gmail and a bunch of others silent as well and they do the same thing.

Main issue seems that there's no alert granularity with third party apps in the watch setup app like there are with the built in ones, it's just on or off, and I guess it figures if you let it make sound, you'll want to be sound/touch notified as well (...which seems reasonable enough, but I just want to customize it for random edge cases like this!).

If you have Fantastical sounds on and it's still not working, I dunno :iiam:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Anyone have any issue adding a card to Apple Pay on their Watch without having a phone that supports Apple Pay?

My Capital One card synced up with my iPhone 6 flawlessly, but now that I've temporarily demoted myself to an iPhone 5c, it won't add to my Apple Watch.

My Chase card works just fine, though. Weird.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anyone have any issue adding a card to Apple Pay on their Watch without having a phone that supports Apple Pay?

My Capital One card synced up with my iPhone 6 flawlessly, but now that I've temporarily demoted myself to an iPhone 5c, it won't add to my Apple Watch.

My Chase card works just fine, though. Weird.

Could just be a temporary glitch with CapOne and whatever particular manner they use to provision the cards onto Apple Pay.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

kitten smoothie posted:

Could just be a temporary glitch with CapOne and whatever particular manner they use to provision the cards onto Apple Pay.

I actually called a rep on the phone last night to chat about it. The girl on the phone was very confused about all of this and gave me some half-assed advice that if my phone doesn't support Apple Pay then I won't be able to get it to work at all. I'm not sure this is accurate, or maybe it is for right now, but it's not the end of the world.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It should work. My wife is on a 5S and I was able to add Apple Pay to her watch no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just got my watch a couple days ago and I have a 5s. Added a couple cards via the Apple Watch app on my phone no problem. Haven't used it to pay for anything yet but I can see my cards on the watch.

• Locked thread