Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
When they go low, we go high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TowerofOil posted:

When they go low, we go high

- IDF guy explaining how bunker busters are going to safely destroy the Hamas terror tunnels.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Precambrian Video Games posted:

- IDF guy explaining how bunker busters are going to safely destroy the Hamas terror tunnels.

me, to an idf soldier: ur moms vagina is the terror tunnel

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

the palestinian people will never be defeated

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

madmatt112 posted:

still can’t believe not a single person hauled off and attempted a straight up public death by choking. seriously commendable self-control and ethics.
I'm going to have to go with what I assume Robespierre would have thought of it, in this instance. I do agree it proves beyond a shadow of any doubt they're peaceful though!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Anthony Balogna posted:

For sure self-control. Not so much on the ethics; but, as AnEdgelord said: it's actually of tremendous strategic importance that these protests remain disciplined.
If anyone were to pop off on the protestor’s side, it would immediately make Israel and Zionists the “good guys” in so many loving morons’ smooth brains, and also, the police would immediately open fire on all of the protestors, with the complete backing of the aforementioned smooth brains.
All of them already think that and the police have already fired live rounds at protestors (when they were clearing out a building or something). I mean they already had that woman on the news with her two perfect eyes claiming to have been stabbed in the eye... it's pretty clear who the "good guys" are here.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm going to have to go with what I assume Robespierre would have thought of it, in this instance. I do agree it proves beyond a shadow of any doubt they're peaceful though!

critical support for the peaceful protests.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ratios and Tendency posted:

To be fair to Dick Dawkins

you needn’t

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1787198834465972531

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Autisanal Cheese posted:

the palestinian people will never be defeated

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Anthony Balogna posted:

For sure self-control. Not so much on the ethics; but, as AnEdgelord said: it's actually of tremendous strategic importance that these protests remain disciplined.
If anyone were to pop off on the protestor’s side, it would immediately make Israel and Zionists the “good guys” in so many loving morons’ smooth brains, and also, the police would immediately open fire on all of the protestors, with the complete backing of the aforementioned smooth brains.

Hence why my triple dog dare still stands!

Yep.

The protests remained peaceful up to now, that's why the police have been civil and let them exercise their rights.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Wait, hold on, I'm getting a note here...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
so did the protests all wind down/get beat by cops or did the interest in them die down because it seems like theres not a lot of news about them anymore (probably deliberate)

there are always small details lost in the fray that i think speak volumes and the police invading and shutting down the most prestegious university in the largest city in america over criticism of israel really speaks volumes about how much "freedom" really exists in this country and i hope at least some braindead liberal ameriswine realize this

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

wait until the cinco de mayo hangover clears. the kids'll be back at it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I imagine since the crackdowns are starting word has come down to the media to just ignore them, and well the school year is over in the next two weeks

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

crackdowns seem to have gotton worse so who knows

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://x.com/ACatWithNews/status/1787469312263164321https://x.com/ACatWithNews/status/1787482445539111230

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Columbia just cancelled their commencement and NYC encampments have been thoroughly quashed. not sure what the next period looks like but I wouldn't be surprised if there is renewed activity in the fall semester.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://x.com/UCSDivest/status/1787468406800687171

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

In Training posted:

Columbia just cancelled their commencement and NYC encampments have been thoroughly quashed. not sure what the next period looks like but I wouldn't be surprised if there is renewed activity in the fall semester.

I don't think a lot of students will take summer breaks from protesting; they've now been connected to activist groups & leaders that will continue to protest whether school is in session or not, even if not on campus.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://x.com/kenklippenstein/status/1787481608779378982

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't think a lot of students will take summer breaks from protesting; they've now been connected to activist groups & leaders that will continue to protest whether school is in session or not, even if not on campus.

I'm not so sure but I'd love if you were correct.

At minimum I would expect protests to resume in the fall though

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Willa Rogers posted:

yeah it might not look like encampments but the current movement isn’t really spontaneous like occupy and george floyd were. this has come after more than six months of other forms of activism

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Al! posted:

so did the protests all wind down/get beat by cops or did the interest in them die down because it seems like theres not a lot of news about them anymore (probably deliberate)

there are always small details lost in the fray that i think speak volumes and the police invading and shutting down the most prestegious university in the largest city in america over criticism of israel really speaks volumes about how much "freedom" really exists in this country and i hope at least some braindead liberal ameriswine realize this

They're still going and facing repression

This is just from Chicago this weekend
https://twitter.com/HeavyButLite/status/1787472740758225001?t=tMsIf6xE0PZasnLXAgP7Zg&s=19
https://twitter.com/_ViMiller/status/1786951188195450982?t=GCfgWzChNKt1QAvh2WNYeQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/colinbphoto/status/1787442573482627073?t=lE9eQ7BIlM2o6jeDgFdR0A&s=19

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Al! posted:

Toronto's is only growing, as I imagine are others outside of the US and/or that started later. There was an obnoxious bagpiper in the vicinity yesterday morning although I have no idea if that had any connection or if it was an obscure gaelic holiday.

I imagine protests at schools with trimester systems or lots of summer courses will continue absent brutal policing.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Toronto's is only growing, as I imagine are others outside of the US and/or that started later. There was an obnoxious bagpiper in the vicinity yesterday morning although I have no idea if that had any connection or if it was an obscure gaelic holiday.

possibly an orangemen march?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah those kids will probably be going to protests throughout the Summer, but college protests are done till August as Summer sessions are much more sparsly populated

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so it really does sound like the order came down to no longer cover the protests at the same time cops were sent into squash them all last week

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

fall semester is gonna be lit. curious to see what happens over the summer - if enough students manage to keep some momentum and organization going to fan back into flames in September.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't doubt that many many students will remain plugged into organizing (and carry such tactics and ideas into their workplaces later in life) I just mean inevitable the campus as a flashpoint will fade since the summer semester just means a lot less people physical present at these universities.

Many of them will be going to Chicago in August I imagine, and there will be renewed campus activities in the fall as long as the genocide continues and institutions continue to refuse to divest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Al! posted:

so it really does sound like the order came down to no longer cover the protests at the same time cops were sent into squash them all last week

Also yeah this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

also why the dems want to ban tiktok

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Long live the student movement

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

In Training posted:

Also yeah this

events like this culminating in the industry awarding itself prizes and mewling how important it is without acknowledging who has been doing the important work and who theyve been getting killed by ftw. the western press is rotten to the core yet they think themselves so valuable to democracy lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i would push Joseph Kahn into a mud puddle

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

oh god lmao there will be a bunch of Pulitzers about this

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Willa Rogers posted:

the Rafah offensive could get really really bad too and reignite it all over again

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

err posted:

the Rafah offensive could get really really bad too and reignite it all over again

Yeah, I expect a lot more commencements will be canceled soon.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

bedpan posted:

oh god lmao there will be a bunch of Pulitzers about this

Especially funny because they'll be for all the articles where journos were weeping that none of the mean teenagers would talk to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oops.....