Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wildfire feels almost the exact same as Trick Attack, so it wasn't difficult to get into it. Use it, mash all the buttons, pray you are fast enough. Cry if mechanics start happening right when you hit the button. With Wildfire I've never felt the pain of going too fast and fumbling the mudra, so I don't get nervous every time I have to hit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Because a bunch of friends decided to roll characters on the wrong NA Datacenter, I've been playing an alt character recently, plowing through MSQ and all that. I forgot how good some of the lines in this game are.

I know a lot of people are partial to JP Thordan's ULTIMATU ENDO but "I will bury you and your belief!" gives me the shivers.

SonicRulez posted:

Wildfire feels almost the exact same as Trick Attack, so it wasn't difficult to get into it. Use it, mash all the buttons, pray you are fast enough. Cry if mechanics start happening right when you hit the button. With Wildfire I've never felt the pain of going too fast and fumbling the mudra, so I don't get nervous every time I have to hit it.

Wildfire is the primary reason I cannot feel good about playing MCH. The class is 100% braindead outside of it, but once you throw that bomb onto a target my stress rockets out of control as I try to desperately get the perfect rotation down, because otherwise my DPS is poop and I feel bad.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hyperactive posted:

I kinda wish they'd make it so Wildfire just buffed the damage you're doing in real time. You're still encouraged to do that super fun hectic button mashy rotation for optimum KERPLOW but when you flub it from mechanics/invul stages at least you got most of it in there.

Sure, that's way less unique but it's a small price to pay for not wanting to cut your hands off when it goes wrong through no fault of your own.

or just give you the ability to detonate it early. still skill-based, less fuckery

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Don't worry! The people in Stormblood are just as lovely! Except the Domans. They're alright.

Lol The domans' awful lovely society led to one of the antagonists being sold into sexual slavery twice and is the whole reason she's determined to make them all suffer as much as possible. That and everyone's favorite Grandpa samurai used to be a war crimes machine cause his king wanted him to be a good servant to the Garlean forces. . All the people in that place suck but hopefully Hein stays true to his word and tries to fix it. the only not lovely group in SB are the pirates and the Kojin.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

or just give you the ability to detonate it early. still skill-based, less fuckery

I don't have MCH at 70, but is there a reason the Wildfire button doesn't change to "Detonate" while its active for this exact reason? It doesn' fix the fundamental problem with the skill, obviously, but it seems like it'd be a pretty obvious band-aid.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I don't have MCH at 70, but is there a reason the Wildfire button doesn't change to "Detonate" while its active for this exact reason? It doesn' fix the fundamental problem with the skill, obviously, but it seems like it'd be a pretty obvious band-aid.

se hates mch

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Lmao if you think SE will put any effort into MCH QOL or fun factor

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I have mch and whm (and maybe war? i forgot) at 70 and let me tell you why i stopped playing MCH:

- your coolest looking and most badass skill (flamethrower) is almost never used (aside from making up some heat) and cancels when you walk/do anything
- rotation is 3 buttons except for wildfire which is so tight that I actually made a specific bar for it because the only way you're learning it by heart is by playing exclusively MCH for a good amount of time
- no invites because bards do it better

you own really hard in pvp though

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MCH will probably get a major rework like BRD did eventually cause none of that class really truly gels or makes sense. It's just a weird busted mess.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I feel like to get mch more played, they'd need to do something like make wildfire trigger overheat and make overheat guarantee combo procs. Might not be bad too if they then maybe do something like give flamethrower a bonus for being used without a barrel or something. Might be kind of dull though.

But the way bard is right now, I don't think it'll ever be able to really compete.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
The one (and only intended) use for Flamethrower is getting you into OH in my experience. Exdr trash pulls, get your flame on, OH spread shots.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
they should make chemist as the next healer and make a healer that isn't as powerful as any of the others but has way more buff options

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In that regard I'd like to see them emphasise the AST buffs, but make chemist (or another healer) a debuff-utility healer.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What they should really do for AST is make Draw a level 1 ability. I'm tired of doing LDR and losing my key ability.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SettingSun posted:

What they should really do for AST is make Draw a level 1 ability. I'm tired of doing LDR and losing my key ability.

It's a really weird decision not to have it considering AST's personal utility is based off of it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
can someone give me 600 bucks to buy a clear through ultimate coil TIA!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All the people in that place suck but hopefully Hein stays true to his word and tries to fix it. the only not lovely group in SB are the pirates and the Kojin.

Yeah very much this. You don't usually get such a dramatic flip from "wow this is an irredeemably lovely person" to "wow I feel pretty bad for this person" like you do with Yotsuyu, and the trigger is the reveal that pre-invasion Doman society was really awful in general and to her specifically. She's still in the way of creating a better tomorrow but there's no joy in her defeat.

Blue Kojin and the Confederacy pirates are both pretty chill though, as are at least some of the au ra tribes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

You know, I've seen those advertisements on party finder and I always wondered exactly how much they changed. Is it really $600?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Is that really how much a clear goes for? I'm in the wrong business.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I finally finished all 3 HW Beast Tribes -and- did the Allied BT questline. That was really cute by the way, taking your pupil around HW and meeting the various BT with him. Deftarm is really impatient still and basically another "Gosetsu in Dotharl" awkwardness. Everything about Deftarm and the Vanu though was great though. I forgot they loved eating bugs so much. "Hey (PC), we got a weird feast, but let's eat for you!" And it happens twice, lol.

But honestly, I liked that. ARR was weird with how all 5 BT leaders just kinda...came together? With no prior meeting or anything.

Linu Vali remains best BT leader :stoked:

Deftarm is a close second though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Today, i found out that i've been playing Paladin for two weeks without even knowing they (now) have the skill Total Eclipse. I accidentally glanced over it when slotting in the new 60+ skills into the hotbars.

There should really be some kind of guide for returners from HW that tells you all of those little details, like PLD having AOE now.

edit: or the new mini aetheryte in Ul'Dah whic i, again, found completely by accident

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 15, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

HenryEx posted:

There should really be some kind of guide for returners from HW that tells you all of those little details, like PLD having AOE now.

Yes that's what the job guide is for.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/battle/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What are the good Wildfire rotations at various levels, anyway?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Is that really how much a clear goes for? I'm in the wrong business.

ImpAtom posted:

You know, I've seen those advertisements on party finder and I always wondered exactly how much they changed. Is it really $600?

My character is in the best possible position to get a kill though. So they don't need to fix anything when piloting me. 340 PLD with o4s weapon and clear all BiS minus the right side crafted pentameld. I imagine the price goes up quite a bit if you need gear/o4s clear.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HenryEx posted:

Today, i found out that i've been playing Paladin for two weeks without even knowing they (now) have the skill Total Eclipse. I accidentally glanced over it when slotting in the new 60+ skills into the hotbars.

edit: or the new mini aetheryte in Ul'Dah whic i, again, found completely by accident
I burned out on the game in 2015 but had been levelling WHM. I came back and found out that... I had completely missed picking up Regen, and I found this out, oh, around level 48.

I did like 20 dungeons without it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've been playing SCH for several weeks and just last weekend I learned that Chain Stratagem exists. I'm going over my hotbars and I'm like "I've never seen this". Think of all the lost potential DPS!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Darth Walrus posted:

What are the good Wildfire rotations at various levels, anyway?

One, and maybe even optimal before you get heat at 52 is (banked Slug proc) -> RF -> WF -> Reload -> Slug -> Split -> Reassembled Clean -> Split -> Quick Reload -> Slug -> Clean. If you don't have that proc ready, start with Split.

After you have heat mechanic, go into overheat at 95 with Hot Shot or Split/procced Slug and proceed as usual. I don't have anything set on rotating the post-50 oGCDs like Gauss and Ricochet beyond "see if WF is still on for them".

TL;DR Ensure you have bullets for the 1-2-3 combo to guarantee their procs for next part.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Low-key really enjoying the music in the steppes. I even turned off mount music for it.

But why do i have to champion the weirdo tribespeople that constantly get mildly trolled by their gods' whispering?
"Oh holy spirits, please give me guidance!"
"YO, YOU'RE IN CHARGE OF DINNER TONIGHT."
"Uh, why me? And what should i even prepare? I don't know much about-"
"HAVE FUN."

Why not one of the cool ones, like those i stumbled upon in some cave, who got their gods to go all biblical revelation on their rear end and got owned so hard they went "holy poo poo we hosed up" and became a tribe of tibetan monks abandoned by the gods, living in total equality?

Not a fan of the silly dragon furry people in general, but they did a real good job on the steppes, great area. Lots of character, just wandering around you can find shepherds and their animals scattered around. Aside from the usual ludicrously ginormous architecture, it looks like a very real, if spatially condensed, place.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I just want someone to go up and tell Tiamat that it’s all OK now and she can come down and be a part of the world again.

I get the feeling that, based on the fact you cannot -actually- talk to her, she might be included in some future Meracydian expansion or something, because NPCs that don't give quests or can be spoken to, but either just exist in CS land only or hamg around tend to come back at some point.

Of course, if her leaving there ever does happen we'll have to play Dragon Therapist because it is every JRPG protagonist has to work out all their friends problems.

Also, Tiamat is in the Allied BT quests, and by her dialogue and Ohl Deeh's comments, Thundarr kinda hit the nail about her being emo, it feels a lot less eternal misery and apathy like Hraesvelgr was during 3.0, and more "I must be sad, did you hear my constantly playing IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER Melancholy Great Wyrm Orchestrion?" That Ohl Deeh even asks along the lines of "Try not to be TOO sad, okay miss mother of dragons?" Reminds me real hard of that.

On a different note, I know we're only about to reach 4.2, but where do you think the next expansion might take place at?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

On a different note, I know we're only about to reach 4.2, but where do you think the next expansion might take place at?

I feel like they've been setting up for a trip to Thavnair pretty hard.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HenryEx posted:

Why not one of the cool ones, like those i stumbled upon in some cave, who got their gods to go all biblical revelation on their rear end and got owned so hard they went "holy poo poo we hosed up" and became a tribe of tibetan monks abandoned by the gods, living in total equality?
Goons have no chance in the Naadam. You may feel the Bern but the steppe demands blood.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like they've been setting up for a trip to Thavnair pretty hard.

I don't think Thanivar could be a whole expansion. There's not a lot of plot hooks there.

Though I do think we'll use it as a stepping stone to get into Garlemeld proper.

Really the only place but Garlemeld is maybe Sharylea or however it's spelled. The Forum, who have been super isolationist lately and have gone so far as to try and kill the people teaching their astrological techniques in Ishgard are the natural home of a lot of the scions, they had that one island just disappear out of nowhere that we still need to deal with, finding out where Galuf went to for Krile and of course meeting and dealing with Lousioux's eldest child and the A-Twins Uncle who's leading the forum and their push for isolationism..

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Rastan Beeza posted:

As much as I'd love for it to be the case, I think it'll be Not Garlemald. Stormblood was pretty Imperial-focused and they'll probably back off and have us do something new next. Thavnair, probably?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There's also The New World, isn't there? And at least one other continent? Thanvnir seems to be in the offing soon anyway.

If I had to guess they'd do another expansion focused on something else and then one focused on Garlemald and environs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

There's also The New World, isn't there? And at least one other continent? Thanvnir seems to be in the offing soon anyway.

If I had to guess they'd do another expansion focused on something else and then one focused on Garlemald and environs.

The Ascians have been quiet as poo poo this entire expansion and seem to be building up to something so I'm guessing we're going to have to deal with their nonsense again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Moon expansion moon expansion moon expansion

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Moon expansion moon expansion moon expansion
I thought the moon fell on us and was an egg full of a raid boss

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That was no moon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I thought the moon fell on us and was an egg full of a raid boss

There are two moons. The other moon is even more evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's at least the New World to the West, the Northern Empty (Sharlayan, Roe land), Meracydia, Thavnir, the entire continent's worth of land South of Garlemald, the rest of Othard and Hingashi.

That doesn't include places that haven't been expanded upon in Eorzea, like the West Shroud, and other zones that don't appear much in game.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 15, 2018