Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The fact that they all saw the same table is so unnverving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WHY do they all remember this loving torture table

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is like an X-files episode

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GOD

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So hosed. So very hosed

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

At least they've got a plan. Really anticipating seeing what these things are.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is the scariest thing that's happened in TNG.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
The sound they make is something I'll never forget.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I love Riker offhandedly phasering them as he rescues the other abductee. So satisfying

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

It's not clear to me how Data makes his choices about what actions to take and interests to pursue if he really didn't have emotions. He doesn't have a narrow directive that he has to follow, and he repeatedly undertakes various open-ended activities that at the same time reveal a consistent personality and sensibility. A being without a specific object to achieve and without emotions that direct its behavior would be a nightmarish whirlwind of inconsistent actions, I think.

Being inconsistent would make him less humanlike, so he factors in a consistency score when assessing his decisions.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa it's leaving a dangling thread with the probe that came through. They don't do that much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jeb just got schismed

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Chad Scotty: Jury rigs an ancient ship to defeat the largest man-made object in the universe. No casualties despite great boldness of his plan
The Virgin Geordi: Tries to make a safe, easy tweak to his ship, gets one crewmember killed and several traumatized, introduces malevolent force to our plane of existence, just so he could increase scanner efficiency by 25%

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There is a Star Trek: Titan book that follows up on these aliens that I thought was pretty well done. I always thought they should have been brought back in another episode.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Safe? The third episode of the Orville covered a pretty hot button topic, and I'm glad they did an episode that ballsy 3 episodes in. It's also a show that is purposefully retro sci-fi with comedy blended in so I'm not sure if I would call it "safe." If Seth McFarlane didn't already have a license to print money, most studio execs would see his idea for a show and tell him to gently caress off because it would be viewed as suicide.

Discovery is the show that's actually safe. It apes a style of TV show that is already known to be successful with modern audiences. I do not see Discovery as a ballsy risk-taking show. If anything, it's a show compromised by executive interference.

I'm completely with you on this, and to me now it's much more likely that Orville of all things will get ballsy with stories while STD won't.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is a Star Trek: Titan book that follows up on these aliens that I thought was pretty well done. I always thought they should have been brought back in another episode.

They are also a villain (or villainous minions, anyway) in STO, as pawns of the Iconians. Worf leads you through one of their subspace bases and gets Schisms flashbacks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

It's not clear to me how Data makes his choices about what actions to take and interests to pursue if he really didn't have emotions. He doesn't have a narrow directive that he has to follow, and he repeatedly undertakes various open-ended activities that at the same time reveal a consistent personality and sensibility. A being without a specific object to achieve and without emotions that direct its behavior would be a nightmarish whirlwind of inconsistent actions, I think.
It seems clear to me that Data has emotions if perhaps not nearly as strongly or with a full range as the human/Klingon/not-robot members of the crew, but he does not have the innate ability to comprehend them, so they just seem like elementary logic to him. Since they are not very strong they do not often present him with major inconsistencies, and Soong probably was like "Sometimes you'll prefer one thing over another for no real reason at all, don't sweat it, buddy!"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
At first I thought Jeb was watching the other late-TNG episode where Riker gets space madness, Frame of Mind

I hope that one's on the list to watch

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pieces of Peace posted:

They are also a villain (or villainous minions, anyway) in STO, as pawns of the Iconians. Worf leads you through one of their subspace bases and gets Schisms flashbacks.

Is Michael Dorn's voice in that game?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

It seems clear to me that Data has emotions if perhaps not nearly as strongly or with a full range as the human/Klingon/not-robot members of the crew, but he does not have the innate ability to comprehend them, so they just seem like elementary logic to him. Since they are not very strong they do not often present him with major inconsistencies, and Soong probably was like "Sometimes you'll prefer one thing over another for no real reason at all, don't sweat it, buddy!"

He has emotions and I'll brook no argument.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I was agreeing with you with nuance, Jeb!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

I was agreeing with you with nuance, Jeb!

I know, I was just warning everyone else.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is Michael Dorn's voice in that game?

Yeah, he's (post-DS9) Worf in the intro Klingon quests and then some all-faction Iconian stuff in a later patch. Considering just how much voice acting he does these days, it would have been goddamn sad if a Star Trek game with Worf himself in it couldn't get Dorn.

They've been advertising Levar in a recent patch too, as Captain LaForge of the Enterprise-… F? G? Not the pizza cutter yet. Maybe it's the long-lost Ent-E, I forget the game canon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If only modern Trek (poo poo, modern anything) would just swing for the fences like this once in a while.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Captain Laforge of the Challenger. It's the ship he commanded in an alternate future Voyager episode.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Frionnel posted:

I'm completely with you on this, and to me now it's much more likely that Orville of all things will get ballsy with stories while STD won't.

Absolutely.

If you think STD is gonna do any episodes like "Far Beyond the Stars", "The City on the Edge of Forever" or "I, Borg", you're fuckin' high.

One thing that's great about the episode of Orville I'm talking about is that there's actually a legitimate debate about it. I mean yeah, I sided with the crew of the Orville, and Bortus's race is totally wrong when they say women are inferior, but when they say that the child is going to have a hard time growing up and will be viewed as a freak, I can understand that. The answer isn't totally clear.

It's also not really an action show where people are fighting and killing each other all the time. In a lot of the best Star Trek episodes, nobody shoots a single laser and nothing explodes. My favorite Star Trek movie is the Voyage Home, and it doesn't even have a villain in it. It has no bad guy. They just have a problem they need to solve. Arrival was my favorite sci-fi movie of the past few years. Most of the movie is just Amy Adams trying to figure out how to talk to aliens. She doesn't have a gun, she isn't shooting anyone, she's just trying to figure out how to talk to these big squid things. And that's really interesting.

A lot of people are like "oh man, Star Trek is really boring, because it's just a bunch of people standing around talking about stuff. That sucks. We need more action." Anyone who feels that way can frankly suck my dick.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

My feeling is that he couldn't NOT have emotions.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

McSpanky posted:

If only modern Trek (poo poo, modern anything) would just swing for the fences like this once in a while.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Safe? The third episode of the Orville covered a pretty hot button topic, and I'm glad they did an episode that ballsy 3 episodes in. It's also a show that is purposefully retro sci-fi with comedy blended in so I'm not sure if I would call it "safe." If Seth McFarlane didn't already have a license to print money, most studio execs would see his idea for a show and tell him to gently caress off because it would be viewed as suicide.

So ballsy it copied an episode of TNG down to the ending?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Absolutely.

If you think STD is gonna do any episodes like "Far Beyond the Stars", "The City on the Edge of Forever" or "I, Borg", you're fuckin' high.

One thing that's great about the episode of Orville I'm talking about is that there's actually a legitimate debate about it. I mean yeah, I sided with the crew of the Orville, and Bortus's race is totally wrong when they say women are inferior, but when they say that the child is going to have a hard time growing up and will be viewed as a freak, I can understand that. The answer isn't totally clear.

It's also not really an action show where people are fighting and killing each other all the time. In a lot of the best Star Trek episodes, nobody shoots a single laser and nothing explodes. My favorite Star Trek movie is the Voyage Home, and it doesn't even have a villain in it. It has no bad guy. They just have a problem they need to solve. Arrival was my favorite sci-fi movie of the past few years. Most of the movie is just Amy Adams trying to figure out how to talk to aliens. She doesn't have a gun, she isn't shooting anyone, she's just trying to figure out how to talk to these big squid things. And that's really interesting.

A lot of people are like "oh man, Star Trek is really boring, because it's just a bunch of people standing around talking about stuff. That sucks. We need more action." Anyone who feels that way can frankly suck my dick.

Except the Orville has had more space battles and fatalities than Discovery in less episodes.

Oops.

I would put bets between the two of them that Discovery comes up with a good episode first, if based only on the fact that it's characters are invested in their own universe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Moriatti posted:

So ballsy it copied an episode of TNG down to the ending?

Except the Orville has had more space battles and fatalities than Discovery in less episodes.

Oops.

I would put bets between the two of them that Discovery comes up with a good episode first, if based only on the fact that it's characters are invested in their own universe.

If you know enough about the episodes in question to make these observations you also know enough about their contexts to understand in how much bad faith these arguments are, you odious little gremlin.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

McSpanky posted:

If you know enough about the episodes in question to make these observations you also know enough about their contexts to understand in how much bad faith these arguments are, you odious little gremlin.

You seem really mad that I like one show more than I like another. Orville presents the lives lost by enemies as something to be celebrated, but in Discovery we see the Klingons passing on hope and wisdom to each other. Maybe because Discovery wants us to remember that even bad people are people.

Maybe that's why they show us Lorca at vulnerable moments, why they showed us T'Kuvma at vulnerable moments.

"Bad Faith."

Please don't resort to namecalling.

EDIT: To reiterate, I like both shows. I just think Discovery is a better show and I also like it more.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Discovery is bad and Orville is good, hope this helps.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Woah tap the brakes a sec he's comparing two Trek episodes not two Hitlers.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Peachfart posted:

Discovery is bad and Orville is good, hope this helps.

What if they were both only decent?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Moriatti posted:

We need to reverse the transporter accident and restore them to a single, functional show!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Guys, shut up about this "new" TV, Jeb's on the countdown to "Chain of Command." It makes sense that they would put some lighter stories first, 'cause... poo poo be heavy.

I know I said "Quality of Life" is sort of an "Evoltion" redux, but also builds on some ongoing Data stuff, so you definitely watch it. And "True Q", because Always Be Watching John De Lancie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Moriatti posted:

They'd be the most successful Season 1s of Star Trek since TOS.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Moriatti posted:

If only, but that isn't the world we live in.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi thread.

Today I had the privilege of seeing the

The only all :females: TNG inspired musical improv team in the known universe.

They asked for a TNG episode that didn't exist and my brain just locked up. I am without honor.

Data's Diet: Data wants to be more human, Troi eats a chocolate sundae, and Riker sits on a chair backwards. and then they gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Thinking that episode 3 of the Orville was "ballsy" might be the worst opinion I've ever read.