Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
okay tam-tamara hm was really good, especially that it's a continuation of what I assumed was just a one-time throwaway gag

and what's up with the facial expressions in the post release content? It's giving me a serious 2009 gmod video vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

pupuru posted:

okay tam-tamara hm was really good, especially that it's a continuation of what I assumed was just a one-time throwaway gag
It continues in POTD, btw

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Dwesa posted:

It continues in POTD, btw

oh is she the ghost lady following you in the first 50 floors?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pupuru posted:

and what's up with the facial expressions in the post release content? It's giving me a serious 2009 gmod video vibe
I think they were experimenting (particularly with the Hildi quests.)

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
If you've ever wanted to see a potato fly

https://streamable.com/mtkq7

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TFRazorsaw posted:

so that was Sephirot

or as I call him

"how can we make Titan again, but more"

I like Sephirot because his tank buster is just him cocking back and punching you in the face. The extreme version of that fight is a cruncher though. It's pretty high on communication.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ein Sof Or is also a pretty badass name for an ultimate attack.

Then there's the whole "literally made POWERMAN 5000 mad on the internet" because the song has a similar sound to their one big hit.

Yoship's defense was "sorry guys Soken had never heard of you :shobon:"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thundarr posted:

Ein Sof Or is also a pretty badass name for an ultimate attack.

Then there's the whole "literally made POWERMAN 5000 mad on the internet" because the song has a similar sound to their one big hit.

Yoship's defense was "sorry guys Soken had never heard of you :shobon:"

Then Seiferguy did this.

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_Kelly/status/779181586629570560

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Probably the best one. :allears:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Since I've pretty much only been playing tank so far, I've avoided most of the ridiculousness of tanks that I've heard about on here, but I recently had an experience with a DPS as tank that I just have to share. We were doing Neverreap and I was making big pulls as normal. The healer DCed and I tried my best to Clemency and Hallowed Ground my way through it but I died at the very end. Both DPSes survived.

Cue the red mage reading me the friggin' riot act. Apparently as tank I should never be doing the following:

Making big pulls
Using CDs on anything except bosses
Using Clemency to heal myself even if the healer is DCed (it should be used to heal other players since it heals me too--keep in mind I had enmity so neither DPS was getting hit)
Using Hallowed Ground (it MUST be saved for bosses)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
As someone who plays tank mainly and enjoys redmaging on the side. Please don't listen to a thing* that pubby said, and please pull more and never stop pulling. :swoon:

Scatterspam might be dull but Enchanted Moulinet feels so good.

*Okay, the clemency point is true, but as you said, no one else was in danger so you already know this.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Thyrork posted:

As someone who plays tank mainly and enjoys redmaging on the side. Please don't listen to a thing that pubby said, and please pull more and never stop pulling. :swoon:

Oh yes I will never stop in my pursuit of bigger and bigger pulls.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Rosalind posted:

Making big pulls

"Excuse me i'd like to return this dps, it appears to be broken"

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thyrork posted:

*Okay, the clemency point is true, but as you said, no one else was in danger so you already know this.

Doesn't clemency only heal you for half if used on another player? Seems like a waste if nobody else needs.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rosalind posted:

Cue the red mage reading me the friggin' riot act. Apparently as tank I should never be doing the following:

Making big pulls
Using Clemency to heal myself even if the healer is DCed (it should be used to heal other players since it heals me too--keep in mind I had enmity so neither DPS was getting hit)

They're incredibly bad (which you could have assumed, they're leveling RDM almost seven months after release)

Healers do notice your Clemency, that said. But it's great advice to do literally the opposite of every point there. SB leveling dungeons will have you think twice about pulling more than a group or two - everything else, pull 'til you can't. If that pull will kill you, Hallowed Ground gives your healer another moment to get your HP back up. Rotate your cooldowns - if you have to use two to survive a pull, make your next pull smaller while one comes back. 50+ your job is to mitigate enough damage that your healer doesn't have to work TOO hard to keep you alive - a fantastic healer can out-DPS you.

If you understand a fight, feel free to swap out of tank stance/turn Grit off - obviously a bad idea for megapulls, but don't be afraid to be a little more DPS-minded in small pulls and bosses.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Please use your cooldowns and clemency so I can holy more thanks in advance

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Please also remember that Total Eclipse is a skill that was added in 4.0. I just did a Doma Castle where the tank didn't touch it *at all*.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thyrork posted:

As someone who plays tank mainly and enjoys redmaging on the side. Please don't listen to a thing* that pubby said, and please pull more and never stop pulling. :swoon:

It’s fun to do the blessed quintuple moulinet but I’m finding it rare for the stars to align to actually pull it off. Usually trash dies too soon to reach 100/100 without using the 2x cooldown.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I Total Eclipse like mad if it's a group of more than 3.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Rainuwastaken posted:

Doesn't clemency only heal you for half if used on another player? Seems like a waste if nobody else needs.

Sorta. The PLD gets a partial heal (like 30 percent iirc) if Clemency hits another player. Less efficient as a self-heal but usually not vital when considering how quickly PLDs can get MP back now.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Renegret posted:

Please use your cooldowns and clemency so I can holy more thanks in advance

Man, if only more people had this mindset. Half the time I use clemency in a dungeon, the healer is almost offended by it. I only have so much TP to spin in a circle with dude, let me pad out the regen ticks while you explode on people.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've tanked for a very long time and part of the reason why I took up healing recently was to see how other tanks operate.

Other tanks suck. Primarily because they go too slowly.

Let me tell you about leveling AST as a Sea Wolf. Talk about feeling out of place.
VVVVV

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 16, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The advent of RDMs is one of the few times I’ve regretted my main being a big blue slab of meat. Sea Wolves are cool, but they don’t really do ‘lithe, graceful swashbuckler’ well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hollowed Ground on bosses is a hilarious waste because no boss is ever going to actually need it outside of Savage/Trial/Raid stuff. It is for big pulls in dungeons.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When I'm healing, I look at boss fights as a chance to regenerate my MP so I can go back to holying more trash the moment the encounter ends.

I unironically appreciate tanks who go ahead and pull the boss even though I don't have enough MP to cast a single medica.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Hollowed Ground on bosses is a hilarious waste because no boss is ever going to actually need it outside of Savage/Trial/Raid stuff. It is for big pulls in dungeons.

Paladin can also pretty much survive dungeon bosses just off Shelltron. Almost every dungeon boss is a toothless huge slab of health that only needs a cooldown here and there for certain attacks, and almost never are they multihit. So Shelltron works out practically perfect.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s fun to do the blessed quintuple moulinet but I’m finding it rare for the stars to align to actually pull it off. Usually trash dies too soon to reach 100/100 without using the 2x cooldown.

Maybe I'm being bad at math but how exactly do you do a 5x EnchMoulinette on one bar? Like 100/100 > Moulinette > Scatter x2 > Moulinette > Manaficate > Moulinette x3?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Maybe I'm being bad at math but how exactly do you do a 5x EnchMoulinette on one bar? Like 100/100 > Moulinette > Scatter x2 > Moulinette > Manaficate > Moulinette x3?

100/100
70/100
40/100
Scatterx2
46/100
Manification
92/100
Done.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Thundarr posted:

I think after one or two enchanted Moulinette they use manification to restore their gauge.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

100/100
70/100
40/100
Scatterx2
46/100
Manification
92/100
Done.

That’s it, yeah. The trick is that you have to be able to reach 100/100 without using manification while also leaving the trash with enough health to survive 5 enchanted moulinets or else it’s a waste. The circumstances don’t arise often for me but it’s very gratifying when they do.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

i use hollowed to ignore boss mechanics so i can keep dpsing :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Depending on your tanks pulling speed, building up mana on one big pack (and say throwing out one E.M) and then going to town on the next is likely going to get you killed has worked alright for me in the past.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Whenever i'm coming into a dungeon i haven't played for more than a year (i.e. since i returned), i say at the start "Listen, i haven't done this in a long time" and go relatively slowly, cause i don't remember the pulls, or surprise adds or even the way to go mostly.
When i'm familiar (again) with the dungeon tho, you can bet i'll rarely just pull one pack. That kinda bit me in the rear end on that new underwater dungeon, cause i pulled two of those 3 humanoid packs at once, and the second one had apparently some kinda mini-boss who hit hard and died slowly, so i wiped us. :(

Renegret posted:

When I'm healing, I look at boss fights as a chance to regenerate my MP so I can go back to holying more trash the moment the encounter ends.

I unironically appreciate tanks who go ahead and pull the boss even though I don't have enough MP to cast a single medica.

Also in that underwater dungeon (different run than the one mentioned above though), i was pulling big and just kept running into the boss immediately, with our AST (i think) at like 25% mana, which elicited some kind of passive aggressive "my mana doesn't matter" response.
Didn't bother to say anything and just tanked. He ended the boss fight with 90% mana.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SettingSun posted:

I've tanked for a very long time and part of the reason why I took up healing recently was to see how other tanks operate.

Other tanks suck. Primarily because they go too slowly.

Let me tell you about leveling AST as a Sea Wolf. Talk about feeling out of place.
VVVVV

Darth Walrus posted:

The advent of RDMs is one of the few times I’ve regretted my main being a big blue slab of meat. Sea Wolves are cool, but they don’t really do ‘lithe, graceful swashbuckler’ well.

I'm sure I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

(Somehow, I completely failed to take any screenshots of levelling RDM. I am an utter failure at this game.)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm sure I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

(Somehow, I completely failed to take any screenshots of levelling RDM. I am an utter failure at this game.)

I wish more people played the Roegadame

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, it could have been different. If the coin flip had gone the other way, I'd have fantasia'd to a potato, and then fantasiaed to something else when I got bored of that. But it didn't, and now I can't bring myself to fantasia *off* Roe.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I wish more people played the Roegadame

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, it could have been different. If the coin flip had gone the other way, I'd have fantasia'd to a potato, and then fantasiaed to something else when I got bored of that. But it didn't, and now I can't bring myself to fantasia *off* Roe.

Once you find what works you've got to stick with it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rosalind posted:

Since I've pretty much only been playing tank so far, I've avoided most of the ridiculousness of tanks that I've heard about on here, but I recently had an experience with a DPS as tank that I just have to share. We were doing Neverreap and I was making big pulls as normal. The healer DCed and I tried my best to Clemency and Hallowed Ground my way through it but I died at the very end. Both DPSes survived.

Making big pulls
You should've voted to dismiss.

I've been forced to resort to honest tanking since I'm learning the role on WAR (or technically, still MRD) in garbage tiny dungeons, but at least there I keep getting sprouts so they won't know any better. I'm guessing you're not "really" tanking until like, late-ARR content at least.