Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
btw socracheese I'm gonna guess that one teacher talked about the notion of proper class and the other teacher didn't. unless this is some high level discussion on set theory I don't see what else could be so radically different from teacher to teacher unless one of them is completely nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'll give that mixed fractions is the stupidest math notation though

i've literally never seen it in actual math

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

so then we tried super+t/win+t but people complained that it wasn't ergonomic, and that we should change it to something else. defaulting to "no keybinding" isnt the best solution, but its the best we've found.

again, feel free to suggest a better default that might make some discoverable logic, and we'll consider it.

Windows key-T is "show taskbar" so that was a no-go from the start.

apart from that, just look at how the current leader in providing terminals delivers theirs. to match microsoft's offering just one terminal isn't enough, you'll need 4 and shortcuts to match:

pre:
   Terminal name                Shortcut sequence
1. Command prompt               Alt, F, P and Alt, F, M, P
2. Command prompt as admin      Alt, F, M, A
3. PowerShell prompt            Alt, F, R and Alt, F, S, R
4. PowerShell prompt as admin   Alt, F, S, A
also you'll want to make your versions discoverable like Windows does when a user presses the Alt key, because no-one should have to memorize arbitrary letter and modifier key combinations come TYOOL 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

tbh i dont have a terminal keybinding shortcut. i hit <super> and type 'term' and hit enter.

hey, that's almost the same as as in windows: "press Windows key, type C,M,D, enter". I guess you get it after all, keep up the good work!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

the other day one dude who is hella smart was complaining to me about how people don't write sin(x) with parenthesis to show that it's a function and I was like "this was never an important thing lol"

I'll give that mixed fractions is the stupidest math notation though

show him sin2 x

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

The only thing I'd like from Gnome 3 is the ability to unfuck my laptop so I can login without Searhorse taking over all keychain management.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Also, gently caress the new gnome control centre.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

why are idiots installing their os so much that configuring a global terminal shortcut is an issue? is gnome 3 losing their settings? are people who use linux autistic bitch nerds?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
oh wow the coding horror thread

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i don't read grey yospos that much but i'm guessing it's a terrible hugbox version of black yospos except you're not allowed to call a loving idiot a loving idiot

signed, a loving idiot

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i thought the coding horrors thread would stick to garden variety racism and libertarianism but whoa :biotruths: out of nowhere

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

oh wow the coding horror thread

i learned something that i thought was pretty cool

Suspicious Dish posted:

GNOME also runs a Women's Outreach Program, where we contact students in university, etc. 30-40% of our contributors are women. We run surveys at the end of all our mentorship programs that ask women why they haven't contributed to open-source before if they haven't, and it's always the small issues like this: the male-centric jokes in the bug tracker, the pronouns in the documentation, etc. It all contributes to making them feel like they don't belong.

that's a nice thing to do. if computer people would just work a little harder in general at being nice, i think it would go a long way

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
although i also have to admit that linux torvalds is really good at being not-nice to people when they screw up, and i think that's a valuable tool

i bet people see that and think that being jerky is always justified, which is going to cause problems

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its almost like to keep large projects in check you need brilliant assholes who rule with an iron fist and then a ballmer takes over

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

git clone trooper posted:

its almost like to keep large projects in check you need brilliant assholes who rule with an iron fist and then a ballmer takes over

i think part of the problem is that everybody sees the brilliant rear end in a top hat and thinks that it must therefore okay for them (the normal people) to be assholes, when they clearly don't know the right time for it

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Max Facetime posted:

also you'll want to make your versions discoverable like Windows does when a user presses the Alt key, because no-one should have to memorize arbitrary letter and modifier key combinations come TYOOL 2014

yes, because that was thing i meant and not some other thing completely

but i did learn the story is "people complained about the defaults, so there aren't any. you can configure it yourself! but really, you are bad for wanting it, use a different thing!" it is the expected story

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

prefect posted:

i think part of the problem is that everybody sees the brilliant rear end in a top hat and thinks that it must therefore okay for them (the normal people) to be assholes, when they clearly don't know the right time for it

oh wow theres like 5 famous times linus blew up at someone over the past 20 years of linux dev. i bet he's a horrible person all the time! i should be lovely too!

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

git clone trooper posted:

oh wow theres like 5 famous times linus blew up at someone over the past 20 years of linux dev. i bet he's a horrible person all the time! i should be lovely too!

And at least one of the people he was mean to was Hans Reiser.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

prefect posted:

the regular assholes see the brilliant ones and assume they are also brilliant.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
cf. steve jerbs and your typical startup people

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
if i abandon a child will i be rich like steve?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
here's a handy chart of pronouns in old english before the language started changing rapidly

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

tef posted:

oh wow the coder horror thread

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

Also, gently caress the new gnome control centre.

What about it? All of our software isn't perfect, but it's currently undergoing a redesign since we never changed it since 2.24 or something, and it sucks, and we'd love to solve your problems.

Yes, it's finally going to be user-resizable. The reason it wasn't was because it was super hard to do scrolling + autosizing and have it user-resizable, but we fixed issues in GTK+ that make this a lot more friendly.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

The only thing I'd like from Gnome 3 is the ability to unfuck my laptop so I can login without Searhorse taking over all keychain management.

So, what's your issue? If you use fingerprint/autologin or something, you get bombarded with keyring unlock prompts?

The problem is that PAM is very much password-based. We want to fix this. Stef Walters, our security guy, did an excellent talk about this: http://www.superlectures.com/guadec2013/more-secure-with-less-security

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

although i also have to admit that linux torvalds is really good at being not-nice to people when they screw up, and i think that's a valuable tool

i bet people see that and think that being jerky is always justified, which is going to cause problems

torvalds is a cool guy because he mostly sticks to tech-related stuff in his outbursts

i really dread the day when he drops some horrible libertarian turdpinion into one of his rants, sadly non-mellow people have a propensity to do that as they get older with a probability approaching 1

still, i'm hopeful. the aforementioned opw hasn't smoked out much in the way of people with horrid opinions, the only real (unrelated) blowup i've seen is matt garrett making this big post about how ted ts'o is a rape apologist and a poo poo human being and garrett refuses to have any interaction with him beyond that which is required by his employer.

idk what the story there is but it's probably rly awkward for everybody involved

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr Dog posted:

i really dread the day when [linus torvalds] drops some horrible libertarian turdpinion into one of his rants, sadly non-mellow people have a propensity to do that as they get older with a probability approaching 1

linus outed himself as a commie years ago so i don't think he'll drop any randroid screeds

he has yelled at people for a variety of political things over the years, using his normal histrionic terms (brain damage, etc) to refer to opinions he disagrees with but it's mostly been in throwaway comments in the context of calling them idiot pissfuckers (who are simultaneously incapable of being the maintainer of their current subsystem, but had better not leave the kernel development community!) for other reasons

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

here's a handy chart of pronouns in old english before the language started changing rapidly

þis is neat but arguments from etymology are terrible

also yeah why is a shortcut to launch the terminal such a huge pressing issue. i spend like half my time on my stebebook in it and i just use alfred. if you're on linux use gnome do or whatever

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

What about it? All of our software isn't perfect, but it's currently undergoing a redesign since we never changed it since 2.24 or something, and it sucks, and we'd love to solve your problems.

Pretending to be a mac just makes you look silly. Cutting half the options out of the touchpad config only works if you get to calibrate everyone's touchpad before it leaves the factory. I click the background button and I get a rectangle with a picture in it, guessing that I mash the picture I get more pictures, horaay!

quote:

Yes, it's finally going to be user-resizable. The reason it wasn't was because it was super hard to do scrolling + autosizing and have it user-resizable, but we fixed issues in GTK+ that make this a lot more friendly.

Resizeable windows, coming to you soon in 2014!

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, what's your issue? If you use fingerprint/autologin or something, you get bombarded with keyring unlock prompts?

No, pretty much the exact opposite. I use GPG, I get a passphrase prompt - so far so good. I use it again: no prompt. No options to enable Seahorse to make it forget. No options to time it out. No options to disable the drat thing on launch. Everything depends on it. gpg-agent already running, no problem Seahorse will just take over. I HAVE A STRONG PASSPHRASE I HAVE GONE TO THE TROUBLE OF REMEMBERING AND SEAHORSE IS RENDERING IT WORTHLESS.

quote:

The problem is that PAM is very much password-based. We want to fix this. Stef Walters, our security guy, did an excellent talk about this: http://www.superlectures.com/guadec2013/more-secure-with-less-security

If you gnome fucks act on your belief you can do better than PAM then I will find you and I will cut you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

Pretending to be a mac just makes you look silly. Cutting half the options out of the touchpad config only works if you get to calibrate everyone's touchpad before it leaves the factory. I click the background button and I get a rectangle with a picture in it, guessing that I mash the picture I get more pictures, horaay!

looking through my options from before and after, and the new panel actually has all of the ones from before and more options. what are you missing?

Zombywuf posted:

Resizeable windows, coming to you soon in 2014!

i know you like to be snarky, but it's the interaction between user-resizable windows, different-sized content, and scrolled views that's hard. if you do it wrong, you'll lose the scrollbar's place on resize, or when you add new content, it will be in this tiny little window since the new content was meant to be in a larger window. it had a lot of issues when we tried it out with user testing, and most of them went away when we fixed the window size.

Zombywuf posted:

No, pretty much the exact opposite. I use GPG, I get a passphrase prompt - so far so good. I use it again: no prompt. No options to enable Seahorse to make it forget. No options to time it out. No options to disable the drat thing on launch. Everything depends on it. gpg-agent already running, no problem Seahorse will just take over. I HAVE A STRONG PASSPHRASE I HAVE GONE TO THE TROUBLE OF REMEMBERING AND SEAHORSE IS RENDERING IT WORTHLESS.

relayed this to stef. he's at lunch, but he's usually responsive for things like this, and i'll try to make sure that these complaints are heard. this sort of feedback is super important to us.

Zombywuf posted:

If you gnome fucks act on your belief you can do better than PAM then I will find you and I will cut you.

1) we're not replacing pam, 2) it sucks for a pleasant login experience (text womping galore), 3) did you actually watch the video?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

1) we're not replacing pam, 2) it sucks for a pleasant login experience (text womping galore), 3) did you actually watch the video?

Just got to the bit where the user "makes the choice" to write their password to the disk in plaintext.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
the disk is encrypted, and we wouldn't do that if the disk was unencrypted.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

the disk is encrypted, and we wouldn't do that if the disk was unencrypted.

If you have an automated system that allows programs to retrieve authentication tokens without the user entering them then what you have is not a security system it is an attack vector.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Socracheese posted:

yeah but my point is you have to know all the weird, arbitrary notation and exceptions, like a bad programming language

i had two classes about set theory with two different instructors and the second guy used totally different notation, even different words for things. of course he demanded that his standard be adhered to and would not acknowledge anything that made sense but was not his notation

granted this is anecdotal about my bad education, but would it kill them to make a set standard at least within a given topic?

i'm taking one of them online courses on machine learning and this is a huge hangup

i take a bunch of notes, and you have to write and l and L and script-style L to keep track of 3 different variables, when they could be named differently or even use an all lowercase name like layer or layer-set

gently caress variable name minification i guess

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

If you have an automated system that allows programs to retrieve authentication tokens without the user entering them then what you have is not a security system it is an attack vector.

the user has already authenticated with an alternate auth mechanism like fingerprint or autologin. in order to start the user's session and unlock his data, we need a password because of tech limitations of the kernel keyring.

since you're concerned about this potential attack vector, please give me an example that would use this password on disk to log in as the user, assuming the disk is encrypted.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

since you're concerned about this potential attack vector, please give me an example that would use this password on disk to log in as the user, assuming the disk is encrypted.

User turns their back for just long enough for someone to type "cat /totally/secure/password/store".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Share Bear posted:

i'm taking one of them online courses on machine learning and this is a huge hangup

i take a bunch of notes, and you have to write and l and L and script-style L to keep track of 3 different variables, when they could be named differently or even use an all lowercase name like layer or layer-set

gently caress variable name minification i guess

you sure l/L/fancyL are variables and not spaces or w/ever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or just be anyone else with legitimate access to the machine and look at the pw and start trying w/ it the users email on common websites

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
hey shaggar, do orm systems like entity framework and nhibernate offer any benefits when you're not letting them write your sql for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think ef can do statement mapping but i haven't played w/ it. don't know about nhibernate, but if its like regular hibernate its not good.