Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Dr. Fetus easily ruins another promising run. Got dead baby to the Beast, the distance on the bombs severely limited my ability to dodge projectiles from the Harbingers. It was going so well until then :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I hate boss armor, and I hate Delirium. Final thing I need for Godhead, mother and beast was easy compared to this.

Got the blackholes and mom’s box on one try in the basement, setting me up to breeze through poo poo when I got Perfection. 22 Luck spamming black holes everywhere. But while
Hush was neutralized by all the black holes eating his bullets Delirium owned me.

Then I got lil plum, daddy long legs, demon baby, and the floating eye but not a gnawed leaf.

I guess I have to keep grinding until I get one and some passive damage and just afk through fights…

Edit: hell yeah complaining in the thread, for birthright, mom’s box and the apple/razor thing on the first floors setting me up for some complete ownage of Delirium. Now apparently I have to kill Greed also, missed that

zokie fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 31, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I thought tainted laz's beast kill would be easy but i'm realizing now that it's probably one of his hardest marks, since you need both versions to be able to kill bosses and that's a big ask

e: I have used my one time posting to beat a level, I got glitched crown in a secret room and the run was basically over at that point. thanks thread

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 1, 2021

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm gradually getting used to Mother's bullshit and clearing her with more characters. Throwing myself at Isaac's Awakening until I finally beat it really helped my confidence against her.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Grapplejack posted:

e: I have used my one time posting to beat a level, I got glitched crown in a secret room and the run was basically over at that point. thanks thread

Let the magic of the thread flow I say

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Does anyone have any tips for the Dogma fight? I find it much harder than the Beast, if I can get trough the horsemen the beast is usually pretty simple but I just can’t seem to dodge both dogmas Brimstone or when it turns into a frisbee and comes swooshing from of screen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zokie posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the Dogma fight? I find it much harder than the Beast, if I can get trough the horsemen the beast is usually pretty simple but I just can’t seem to dodge both dogmas Brimstone or when it turns into a frisbee and comes swooshing from of screen.

The brimstone attack from the first phase homes toward you the longer it's on the screen, but dogma switches which side it's firing on when you cross like a 45-degree axis from Dogma, so you can bounce from one side of that axis to another and have the laser not get all that close to you.

For the frisbee attack, you just need to run in a circle around the outside edge of the arena. You will have to modulate your speed a bit to avoid feathers, but if you're going in a circle, it should be firing those feathers from the maximum distance it can be away from you, making a lot of space between them by the time they get to you. This technique takes a little practice but becomes second nature fast. Eventually, your main problem with this attack will be that it offers very little opportunity to damage Dogma.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

zokie posted:

Both parts require a certain amount of ‘feel’ to get used to that will only come with practice. I recommend watching a play through on youtube so you can see all of their patterns in a less stressful environment so you can take it in.

Keep in mind that the brimstone attack will only come out in north/south east/west directions and then curve towards you until you cross their 45 degree point where it will switch. it’s sort of hard to describe but once you watch a video of it itll make more sense. once you figure that out it becomes much easier to dodge. still not 100% because there will always be ambiguity as to where the beam will start but it’ll make things much more manageable

the frisbee phase is mostly determined by whether or not you have enough speed, which you almost always should. i mostly just run in a large circle around the room and that’s enough to stay away from the fly bys. after a while you’ll get a ‘feel’ for its rhythm and you’ll know when to cut perpendicular from its attack vector right as its coming in. if this phase had an element of random timing to it it’d be *way* harder but fortunately that’s not the case

like all the other bosses that felt impossible until they weren’t- it’ll come with practice. don’t give up!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just landed the killing blow on Mega Satan and hit the R Key, but didn't get the completion mark. How far into the death animation does the boss have to get before it counts?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
For Mega Satan it's either when the ending cutscene starts playing or the void portal spawns.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yup. All the way. He and The Beast don’t count until the cut scene plays. With Mega Satan you can get lucky if the void portal appears

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
After a megasatan+delirium kill I feltconfident and started a Tainted Lost run, apparently I picked up Eden’s Blessing because I started with BLANK FUCKIN CARD!!!

Still died before even killing mom though :emo:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Needed to unlock T Beth, which is weird because I swear I'd done that
Whatever, Beth run, cool
Find a Telepathy for dummies on basement 1 and get bookworm. Hell yes, 2 room charge, bitchin wisps, let's fuckin go
Basement 2 shop has an eraser for 7c. "Alright self, you can erase spiders real quick and just take out a big annoyance, worth the 7 cents"

And then I find that Beth can just... use the eraser over and over for just half a soul heart. And summon wisps that I think eraser on contact? Hell yes.

Aaaaaaaaaand then I forgot to drop a trinket on my way down.
Still a pretty bitchin beast clear, at least.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to find enough Gulp pills in a single run to unlock Marbles. Or a Placebo to copy a Gulp pill.

At one point I managed to find an R Key in the void, restarted the run, and then trapped myself in an alternate Mom fight room after using a reversed Emperor card. I didn't know that could happen and it was disappointing. Lesson learned: do not use reversed Emperor in Mines/Ashpit 2.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
No shame at rewinding with the console when shot like that happens

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My last post-it mark is tainted laz the Beast This is the worst tainted laz post-it because you have to use both on The Beast fight. Anyway, I've got Purgatory and apparently there is a crash bug with purgatory and tainted laz. I got all the way to the Beast with a loving atrocious build (I swear I saw 5 cycles of Pestilence. It was like a 15 minute fight.) Game does the purgatory crash on The Beast, restarting sends me back to before I beat Dogma.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh so any news on a patch or console version of Repentance? They said "Summer 2021" and that's almost over.

EDIT: I guess like everything this year it's been delayed

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/1437889365523402752?s=20

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Does anyone else have a multi-monitor setup and run into the bug where if you click ANYTHING after launching the game but before it's done fully starting up it causes it to display totally wrong? I'm wondering if there's any fix for it. It's just a mild annoyance because the workaround is 'just don't touch anything for a few seconds while it launches' but it's annoying

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They must have done something. I had a steam download for Isaac the other day, and there are a bunch of new champion enemies on the ascent. They're much less tanky than the OG ascent champs (which are still there but less prevalent).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Does anyone else have a multi-monitor setup and run into the bug where if you click ANYTHING after launching the game but before it's done fully starting up it causes it to display totally wrong? I'm wondering if there's any fix for it. It's just a mild annoyance because the workaround is 'just don't touch anything for a few seconds while it launches' but it's annoying

Yes, and it's pretty simple actually! If you have default keyboard keybinds just hit F to toggle fullscreen off/on. Turning it off and on again will fix it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

My greatest gaming accomplishment. I probably could have learned to play a musical instrument really well with all the time I've sunk into this game.

Did not realize there was going to be a secret final boss called Redemption Isn't In Any Item Pools.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

redemption is in pools, you get it from self sacrifice rooms if you have taken a devil deal. i think there’s other similar ways to get it but overall not super hard to get. c-section is the one that you have to super force

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

My greatest gaming accomplishment. I probably could have learned to play a musical instrument really well with all the time I've sunk into this game.

Did not realize there was going to be a secret final boss called Redemption Isn't In Any Item Pools.

Grats, man. I've got about 80 achievements left

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

redemption is in pools, you get it from self sacrifice rooms if you have taken a devil deal. i think there’s other similar ways to get it but overall not super hard to get. c-section is the one that you have to super force

Yeah, I got it from the self sacrifice method.

Thankfully I must have gotten C section from an Eden or Eden's Blessing or something because that didn't come up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RatHat posted:

Uh so any news on a patch or console version of Repentance? They said "Summer 2021" and that's almost over.

EDIT: I guess like everything this year it's been delayed

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/1437889365523402752?s=20

Are you sure they were targeting summer? I'm waiting on the playstation version, but in my head it was already the vague "autumn 2021" (with the assumption that its realistically going to be like february next year).

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Wow, I’m never taking Mars again it just cost me the beast as Lazarus

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
One more for the pile.

Tainted Lazarus sucks rear end. I got good enough where Tainted Lost was fun but god drat Tainted Laz never stopped sucking rear end.

If it weren't for tainted laz and tainted jacob, it would have been a pretty fun expansion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 19, 2021

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I don't know about you guys but I purposely avoided unlocking poo poo like dad's lost coin and bag of marbles until I was ready to 100 percent the game because I didn't want them stinking up my boss pool.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Marbles is great though, it's like every blood machine/ devil beggar/ sacrifice room becomes a free trinket slot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bossy lady posted:

I don't know about you guys but I purposely avoided unlocking poo poo like dad's lost coin and bag of marbles until I was ready to 100 percent the game because I didn't want them stinking up my boss pool.

Not getting dad's coun is a smart move for sure. Marbles can be good but I generally agree with you. There's just so many worthless trinkets that it's usually a wanted item.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been trying to unlock Bag of Marbles, but I can never find enough Gulp pills in one run to make it happen. I learned that swallowing two trinkets at once (thanks to Mom's Purse) only counts as a single Gulp pill use towards the unlock, which I'm not happy about.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Amorphous Abode posted:

Marbles is great though, it's like every blood machine/ devil beggar/ sacrifice room becomes a free trinket slot.

I wish it would trigger more often than 5 percent. I've had runs where I dump like 16 full red hearts into a blood bank or demon beggar and never gulp anything.

Also I think marbles is an OK item, just disappointing to see as a reward for defeating a boss.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

IMJack posted:

I've been trying to unlock Bag of Marbles, but I can never find enough Gulp pills in one run to make it happen. I learned that swallowing two trinkets at once (thanks to Mom's Purse) only counts as a single Gulp pill use towards the unlock, which I'm not happy about.

I loving gave up and just consoled a pill bottle and a pile of mega batteries and reset until gulp showed up in the pool

It still took me like eight restarts

gently caress that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

bossy lady posted:

Also I think marbles is an OK item, just disappointing to see as a reward for defeating a boss.

Bag of Marbles is several free cracked keys on the ascent! :eng101:

Having your pick of three different trinkets is kind of a poor boss reward, but occasionally it spawns something good... Or something golden. A tear charm from a boss on floor 3 will pay dividends by the time you reach the lower floors.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Well, I just had the easiest Beast fight ever. It turns out Bethany getting the Unicorn Horn on Basement 1 is kind of ridiculously good, especially with an early Relic feeding it. I think I took less than half a dozen hits that entire run, killed every single boss and the entire boss rush by ramming my face straight into them, and the Beast went down in under a minute.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1441108365476651009

PC update still in the works. I saw some random person on Reddit or Steam or something saying that they only have one person working on Repentance right now, which would explain some things.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm no BOI expert by any stretch, but I ended up finding Tech X in a crawlspace in like the third room of my very first Suicide King attempt ever. I feel like I'd heard a lot about this particular challenge, and how frustrating it could be.

I'm surprised there's no notes about it specifically in the Suicide King Challenge page on the wiki, since it seems to completely invalidate the whole point of the Suicide King challenge; unlike (some of?) the other Techs, it retains Ipecac's explosive effect...so you've basically got an explosive ring of death that will happily march clear across rooms, regardless of their size.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

It is wild how easy a lot of the challenges have become with Repentance. Blue Bomber and Computer Savvy are basically a free wins now and High Brow starts with the poo poo transformation, so you can regen red hearts easily. Head Trauma is also much less poo poo with the reworked tiny planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

On the other hand challenges like Ultra Hard are now even harder because there's so many more champion enemies