Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
imo they should make more fun or at least useful items and less bad items like dataminer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i think they should make even more items that actively try to make you barf imo

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I want power creep.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I want more game breaking items and less game crashing items.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Now that I got dead god I'm just eyeing these workshop mods. ooo modified boss armor.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

welcome posted:

I want power creep.

i would prefer items being well balanced over bosses having absurd health pools and armor

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

PostNouveau posted:

Now that I got dead god I'm just eyeing these workshop mods. ooo modified boss armor.

Good luck installing it. It either works for you straight away or it crashes the game on starting a new run and nobody has any idea why the latter happens.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

watho posted:

i would prefer items being well balanced over bosses having absurd health pools and armor

i agree... delirium is a lovely boss

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

in defense of the poor single dev who's working on this with how insanely large and complicated this game has gotten it's probably a massive headache to do basically anything at this point. the number of edge cases you need to check for everything is mind boggling

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

remove trisagion

alternative: make it so it doesn't consistently cause crashes and isn't garbo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I finally did it. I cleared out the Tainted Lost's notecard. Man that character is absolutely *heartbreaking* sometimes

I now can fully appreciate this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBr3qfF4vE

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Put 80 hours into Rebirth on 3DS years ago and I'm hyped as hell for this Switch release. I skipped Afterbirth entirely after reading some early criticism so I'm excited to see how much the game has changed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Decided to try out tainted Jacob with Greedier mode. What the actual gently caress. How? How!?!? How is this possible?? Someone explain this to me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Reroll until you get something good in the item room and eraser in the store, make your way through basement somehow, erase Esau on floor 2 before starting the waves, proceed normally

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 26, 2021

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

When does this game release on Switch? I keep reading Q3 but uhh it's Q4 now and nothing. I put off getting it on the PC because I prefer it on console.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Axetrain posted:

When does this game release on Switch? I keep reading Q3 but uhh it's Q4 now and nothing. I put off getting it on the PC because I prefer it on console.

Supposedly November 4th

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Decided to try out tainted Jacob with Greedier mode. What the actual gently caress. How? How!?!? How is this possible?? Someone explain this to me

My guess is restart for half an hour until you find a floor 1 gnawed leaf. It might take an hour but angry ghost buddy should be able to take everything out for you, right?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Tainted Jacob is a huge piece of poo poo and success is only possible with three items.

1) The blue hourglass;
2) The eraser; or
3) The meat cleaver.

For the blue hourglass, you're gonna want to kill Tainted Jacob and run through a door before he explodes, turning you into a ghost. Once you're turned into a ghost in the new room, hit the blue hourglass and you'll be reset to your normal form with no Tainted Jacob. He'll be gone for the rest of the floor.

For the eraser, you need to calculate how much health Tainted Jacob has, what your damage is, and hit him enough times you get him under 15 health before throwing the eraser at him. He'll be gone forever.

For the cleaver, just use it as soon as he appears and kill the two babies. They also hurt each other. He'll be gone for the rest of the floor.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Axetrain posted:

The Xbox store has repentance showing up as Nov 4th so its likely all console versions are out that day

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I've swapped the q and spacebar keys and Tainted Jacob has gone from plain impossible to just extremely challenging. I'm at -15 and managed to get to Greedier once. I think I can do this. I had a run where I stumbled on the eraser but unfortunately had wisps which hosed up my count and I killed him instead of erasing him.

Just want to sanity check myself: for determining how many hits it will take to kill him I just take his HP and divide it by my damage on the UI, right? Then subtract one or two shots as a buffer, as long as it gets me within 15 HP, and fire away? This is assuming that I don't have anything weird going on like Blood Clot, spiders/flies, etc.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've been working my way through Afterbirth+ for awhile now and I was getting nostalgic for OG Isaac so I loaded up WotL and I had forgotten how hard it was by comparison. I died on the first try to Widow because the pattern was so different from Afterbirth+. I got really lucky on the second try because I got Skeleton Key and I Can See Forever. I still barely beat Mom and it was only because I racked up some coins and went for the Arcade and got a full Halo of Flies before facing Mom.

I know a lot of it is because of starting WotL with nothing unlocked. It made me appreciate the newer games though because of all the QOL things that have been added. The biggest thing for me was Secret Rooms staying open after discovery. Having all the extra HUD info in later games is nice but there was some charm in just having to know or guess what was going on.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The older games seemed more like survival horror and the new ones seem to give you a choice of whether to explore everything and get overpowered or skip the exploration and survive on your skills alone.

Sorry if this observation has been made before. I've never posted about Isaac anywhere before.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Repentance buffed a bunch of enemies and bosses, especially Widow, and changed hard mode to be more like the old version by increasing enemy shot speed. This is kind of compensated for by buffing a ton of the previously worthless/underpowered items.

I've always felt the flash version had a slower pace despite the faster enemies, because there weren't any shovel/boss rush/hush timers to beat. More time to walk around, less stuff to find.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Repentance buffed a bunch of enemies and bosses, especially Widow, and changed hard mode to be more like the old version by increasing enemy shot speed. This is kind of compensated for by buffing a ton of the previously worthless/underpowered items.

I've always felt the flash version had a slower pace despite the faster enemies, because there weren't any shovel/boss rush/hush timers to beat. More time to walk around, less stuff to find.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the reply!

I got into a challenge room in WotL and had 4 fat flies instantly shoot me from all directions in a way I would never expect from Afterbirth+. I want to play Repentance but I want to get everything out of Afterbirth+ before I move on.

I introduced my son to Isaac and he was the one who had to tell me about Boss Rush because I had never played fast enough to discover it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edmund Sparkler posted:

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the reply!

I got into a challenge room in WotL and had 4 fat flies instantly shoot me from all directions in a way I would never expect from Afterbirth+. I want to play Repentance but I want to get everything out of Afterbirth+ before I move on.

I introduced my son to Isaac and he was the one who had to tell me about Boss Rush because I had never played fast enough to discover it.

There is a timed gate in the Womb II as well Maybe you can blow his mind with it

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

There is a timed gate in the Womb II as well Maybe you can blow his mind with it

Of course. I know the one. He's a Gen Z kid so I know he knows all about it. I'm stuck in the days of retsuprae and hating every YouTube thumbnail where the dude's looking really shocked about something.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Went on a date and we were talking about our favorite games and I listed Isaac towards the top and her response was “you seem like the type of person who wants to be hurt during sex”

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Hahaha, queued up the Lost for a single run and ended up getting the Boss Rush/Hush/Delirium trifecta, bullshit bosses eat your heart out! Obviously hit the item jackpot with ghost pepper, eye of the abyss, max tears, blanket, and Guppy + mulligan, and an I'm Drowsy pill for Hush, but drat if that doesn't feel great. Also I lost perfection by completing the boss rush, deciding not pick up Ipecac, and flying right into a red poop on the way to the door. Thank goodness for dead cat, I would have had an aneurysm otherwise. Now the only things standing between me and Godhead are Mega Satan, Mother, and Ultra Greedier.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Sockser posted:

Went on a date and we were talking about our favorite games and I listed Isaac towards the top and her response was “you seem like the type of person who wants to be hurt during sex”

this is a funny-rear end post.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sockser posted:

keeper

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sockser posted:

lmao

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sockser posted:

Lmao

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Console release confirmed

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1455624247548604418?s=20

It’s the current PC version so console players can experience Psy Fly before it’s nerfed I guess

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1455634480849317888?s=20

EDIT: Apparently the PS5 version is only available in a full bundle and you can’t upgrade the PS4 version to it…but it doesn’t really matter since it’s not like the PS4 and 5 versions are going to be any different

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 3, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Been playing the Link's Awakening remaster and I'm stupefied by how much BoI copied from those old designs. I never really played the 2D Zeldas and now it's got me jonesing for Repentance

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I just managed to beat boss rush & Hush as Tainted Jacob. gently caress this character is stressful. I managed to swing some damage ups + brimstone as my first devil deal. In Hush's shop I found red stew and started thinking I might have this. I forgot my damage was amped and wasn't careful to avoid hitting Esau- I killed him right as Hush emerged. I realized that using anima sola to break up Hush's continuum attack would keep me alive long enough to get enough damage in. It came down to the absolute wire as he had me pinned in a corner while spamming continuum and my cube of meat sealed the mvp by blocking three drat shots in a row, long enough for me to get the killing blow in.

It took me way less runs and time to get this far as this character vs. Tainted Lost but jeeeeeeeze louise is Tainted Jacob WAY more stressful.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
update on Switch seems to have broken quick restart it seems?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
What's a guy gotta do to get 5 GULP pills in one run? I never get placebo, vurps or endless when I have a run with them in the pool

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fingerless Gloves posted:

What's a guy gotta do to get 5 GULP pills in one run? I never get placebo, vurps or endless when I have a run with them in the pool

In AB+, Placebo used to be one of the more common items you'd see in Greed mode, so you could hold R until it was in your shop and then hope for a gulp later in the run. I don't know if Repentance has made that harder to do. I think that was how I did the huge growth achievement.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah both placebo and blank card were *way* more common in the previous version. Not only were they made way more rare but they were both nerfed pretty hard too. Back then I just remained aware of both the huge growth and gulp achievements and made a mental note to take advantage of it whenever I happened to stumble upon the right ingredients. The same strategy can work now but it won't be nearly as easy as it was before.

Fun fact: one of the last achievements for me to get in the previous version was baby bender. Because why would I ever hold on to a magician card when I already have homing shots?? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
what are the suggested mods for UI?

First time playing, I already got one that gives a more detailed description of items effects. Figuring them out on my own got old pretty fast.