Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the "everybody basically has the same levy composition" issue could have been addressed by varying what unit types you get more dramatically based on terrain, which is something CK3 kind of already supports with it having a lot of terrain-specific building types, where CK2 had identical holdings no matter where they were + one unique cultural building.
You could also additionally vary it based on cultures and tech. So you might want to keep this or that culture happy because their levy composition compliments your primary culture's well, but as you tech and take different doctrines (and those can be weighted based on terrain and culture) your levy composition might shift a little towards what you're specializing in or whatever. You might additionally be able to spark reform events by reaching some critical mass in social organization or fighting against other cultures (so you might, say, have Hellenic powers start trying to incorporate some Roman-style military doctrines and troop formations because Rome is doing really well, Carthage really wanting to keep its Numidian populations happy because they produce quality cavalry that gives them a bit of an edge, a centralizing Gaulish state instituting a more centralized and regimented military, etc. etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

forkis posted:

Invictus is good if you're looking for a vanilla+ experience! Otherwise, idk, the LOTR mod unexpectedly rose from the dead a few months ago despite the modding team moving over to work on CK3, so maybe that's worth a shot?

There might be other gems hiding on the workshop too, but those are the two mods I've spent the most time messing around with in the past.

Thanks, Invictus seems like a good one

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Honestly, I wouldn't say that having player input into army composition in CK2/CK3 ever worked particularly well. There was never really any interesting decision-making involved, the effects were obscure unless you read the wiki, and it mostly just served to let the player punch way above their weight against AIs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only reason they ever added it was because how mad the players got when they originally had very little control over their army. The game in general would be much better if you never had anything more than influence over anything but the most personal decisions.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Nah, the trade system isn't great. Probably my least favourite mechanic left in the game? It's a whole bunch of clicking- like, nightmare levels of clicking if you decide you want to do more that just get your cap bonuses. And the routes keep breaking because of wars and rebellions so you need to keep redoing everything, There's very little actual decision making in it, too- at most you might need to think about what your priorities for those cap bonuses are but that doesn't change much run to run. The click to decision ratio here is off the charts.

There are other things I don't like about it, like, external trade is a lot more valuable than external trade? So you want to keep a lot of minors around so you can run trade routes with them, like some sort of weird accounting shell game. And it falls hard into that traditional Paradox problem where a region's economic potential is inappropriately coupled to the number of arbitrary divisions it's been partitioned into. Worst, in my mind, is the fact that all trades are direct from producer to consumer, so production and trade aren't really separable axes of income. If you're rich in land then you're going to be rich in trade, and if you're poor in land you're going to be similarly poor in trade. There's no opportunity for man-in-the-middle profits. I don't even know if that's appropriate to the period or not, I just know it has a flattening effect on the game's economy.

Production is... alright? Again, I don't like the way it couples tile density to economic value, but the way the system works drives a lot of moment-to-moment gameplay in a way that's... satisfying to execute on, even if I don't think it amounts to what Radia would call an interesting decision. Lots of "Oh, there's honey here. I want to build a city on that.", or "This province has three grain tiles in it. I should slap farms on them and move a bunch of slaves there."
Thanks for the thorough reply. This is precisely why I asked, because what sounds good in a DD might not be so hot when you get your hands on it.

Gaius Marius posted:

The only reason they ever added it was because how mad the players got when they originally had very little control over their army. The game in general would be much better if you never had anything more than influence over anything but the most personal decisions.
Army composition out, actual dress-up minigame in.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know why they didn't try and combine it with more personalized interactions. Like "Horse Archers loving slap and I have a big campaign coming up, Imma butter up this leader of nomads in my realm so I can bring his horse archers along" or something.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
so apparently some crypto coin launched using the name Paradox which led to this classic exchange

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1593584875428368390

https://twitter.com/Lakesguy89/status/1593680891422949383

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Lum_ posted:

so apparently some crypto coin launched using the name Paradox which led to this classic exchange

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1593584875428368390

https://twitter.com/Lakesguy89/status/1593680891422949383

It goes without saying by now, but in case anyone had any doubt, the other Paradox is an outright scam and their """triple-A""" game is largely slapped together from Unreal's defaults

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the Napoleon's Leg nft

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm the Napoleon's Leg nft

Four more and you win the game instantly

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kaza42 posted:

Four more and you win the game instantly

be warned that the robespierre counter exists, flooding your deck with so many heads that drawing napoleon's becomes tricky

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A crypt coin event in CK3 would be funny.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Victoria 3 covers a period of all sorts of terrible economic ideas. I'm picturing some sort of proposal to switch off of the gold standard and instead use a currency backed by rooms full of computers (i.e, women manually performing calculations, professionalized in the early 1900's)

The whole thing collapses with the invention of the thermionic valve (vacuum tube transistor) with one engineer acquiring 99% of the compu-coin market.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

V for Vegas posted:

A crypt coin event in CK3 would be funny.

My Steward GET.STEWARD.NAME has stormed into the throne room with a manic grin on his face. He claims to have invented a new system for our currency, inspired by "wise men from the East." Instead of something real like silver or gold pieces, he has suggested our money instead be parchment with a number on it!

* I should have known better than trust this lunatic with the treasury! [GET.STEWARD.NAME is fired as Steward. RULER gains trait Temperate. REALM gains Fiscally Prudent (+1% tax income) for 10 years]

* So long as my face can be on the parchment too! [RULER gains trait Proud. GET.STEWARD.NAME will have permission to implement his idea...]

* Parchment will go To The Heavens! [-1000 gold from treasury to purchase parchment. RULER gains trait Greedy. REALM will go long on parchment, which might pay off...]

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

The Narrator posted:

My Steward GET.STEWARD.NAME has stormed into the throne room with a manic grin on his face. He claims to have invented a new system for our currency, inspired by "wise men from the East." Instead of something real like silver or gold pieces, he has suggested our money instead be parchment with a number on it!

* I should have known better than trust this lunatic with the treasury! [GET.STEWARD.NAME is fired as Steward. RULER gains trait Temperate. REALM gains Fiscally Prudent (+1% tax income) for 10 years]

* So long as my face can be on the parchment too! [RULER gains trait Proud. GET.STEWARD.NAME will have permission to implement his idea...]

* Parchment will go To The Heavens! [-1000 gold from treasury to purchase parchment. RULER gains trait Greedy. REALM will go long on parchment, which might pay off...]

You can only get this event once and every time someone else goes long everyone else who went long gets a share of the money they put in

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

“You all don’t get it. You can dye up to three faces with a single syrup.” (You have this option because you have the scholar trait)

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 21, 2022

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
man, paradox threads have really been dead lately, haven't they?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This was basically the victoria and new games thread and then we got victoria 3

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Victoria 3 thread seems decently active, the Stellaris one gets some posts a day but will likely speed up once the upcoming First Contact DLC drops.

feller posted:

This was basically the victoria and new games thread and then we got victoria 3

turns out the demand for Darkest Hour discourse in 2023 is a little limited

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 15, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Popoto posted:

I feel like they're in a bit of a weird lull. CK3 hasn't had new content in forever, EU4 continues to shamble despite all the creaking, V3 exists but seems to have been a Good, Not Great but Good sort of thing (I haven't played it I dunno).

Nothing much to escape the regular threads.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

The Victoria 3 thread seems decently active, the Stellaris one gets some posts a day but will likely speed up once the upcoming First Contact DLC drops.

turns out the demand for Darkest Hour discourse in 2023 is a little limited

what about Arsenal of Democracy discourse?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've spent some more time with Arsenal of Democracy over the week, and here's a trip report:

- as I've mentioned, development actually did resume with a new team, and the game has been patched as recently as July of 2020

- at top of mind is that this new dev team completely re-did the rendering engine for the game, such that it supports windowed mode natively without having to switch your monitor display back to 16-bit color

- they added per-province air mission orders, which was previously a Darkest-Hour-only feature

- they also added infinite-duration air and naval mission orders, again another DH-only feature

- they added an entirely new 1936 campaign, named Vanguard, with a modded AI and manpower/resource/production layout to provide a harder challenge. It's still the same map, though.

So far I've played through to 1939 and the conquest of Poland. Denmark has fallen in October of 1939, and I'm now preparing for Case Yellow.

The game still plays and feels like HOI2, and it's a little difficult to suss out the subtle differences in combat resolution besides the fact that Tactical Bombers are no longer division-vaporizing death stars, but the game does play well, and I've not encountered any crashes so far, but the modernized windowed mode alone is, IMO, worth the price of admission, especially now when it's like 2.50 USD on Steam.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
is DH Kaiserreich cross-compatible? Probably too much to hope for, but that remains the definitive KR edition imho

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Maybe this thread can become EU4 thread for sickos who don't play Anbennar.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ilitarist posted:

Maybe this thread can become EU4 thread for sickos who don't play Anbennar.

Expelling regular EU4 players from the thread is worth the admin efficiency hit, IMHO.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Popoto posted:

They haven't made a good game since EU4

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Popoto posted:

They haven't made a good game since CK2

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Popoto posted:

They haven't made a good game since EU2 (FALALALA)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't think CK3 is worse than CK2. It's just that I already played a billion hours of CK2 and 3 is just more and more polished 2.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's easier CK2 with less content.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mantis42 posted:

It's easier CK2 with less content.

My biggest issue with CK3 is its insistence on being some sort of meme generator.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

GrossMurpel posted:

I’ve actually been itching to go back and play it. I wonder how it compares to current ck3. Anyone has numbers of players of both games, just as a curiosity? I know sometimes steam allows to see those numbers.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I don't get these comparisons. CK3 is much more complex than CK2, but the functioning UI makes it easier to play and not having loads of dumb events makes it less memetic. It's still not the complex strategy game I want it to be, and it's still in early access (the game lets you play past 1300 up until 1453 but you're clearly not supposed to) but there's no criticism I can aim at it that wouldn't be much more noticeable in CK2.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Popoto posted:

I’ve actually been itching to go back and play it. I wonder how it compares to current ck3. Anyone has numbers of players of both games, just as a curiosity? I know sometimes steam allows to see those numbers.

Steamcharts lets you directly compare games.

CK2 still getting 3-4k concurrent players consistently kind of blows my mind.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 15, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Rynoto posted:

CK2 still getting 3-4k concurrent players consistently kind of blows my mind.
well, the base game is free

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Popoto posted:

Development has been slow, at least for CK3. Also the last DLCs have been kinda underwhelming too, imo

ilitarist posted:

I don't get these comparisons. CK3 is much more complex than CK2, but the functioning UI makes it easier to play and not having loads of dumb events makes it less memetic. It's still not the complex strategy game I want it to be, and it's still in early access (the game lets you play past 1300 up until 1453 but you're clearly not supposed to) but there's no criticism I can aim at it that wouldn't be much more noticeable in CK2.

The game was released more than 2 years ago. And it is easier, and not only because of the UI. MaA are terribly unbalanced and makes war trivial with just a bit of knowledge of how they work. Lifestyle perks are unbalanced too, often too OP, and specially make keeping vassals happy/scared trivial too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 15, 2023

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

CK3 is not a hard game to play but it has nothing on CK2. It might take a longer time to realize how to powergame it, but I think it's mostly because of UI and obfuscation of the mechanics. Once CK2 clicks and you realize how to use bloodlines, societies etc to turn your characters into monsters it becomes very trivial.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have like 100x more hours in CK2 than I have in CK3 and still my CK2 games were a lot more challenging in every way (war, internal politics, character health, eugenics)

Maybe is just that I never became a power gamer in CK2. It seems like a did in CK3, though, without trying and after a fraction of time Ive spent on CK2. Seems like the game is easier to me

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Maybe I'm wrong since it's been a while since I played CK2, but I remember Intrigue being more fun as well.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

OK, there's little point in arguing about the difficulty in a game like this, when a lot of the appeal comes from the immersion. I can see how in CK2 it's easier to get into a non-power-gaming mindset. There's no suggestion alert saying that you know, right now you could be someone in any of the societies getting cheap powerful boons, or that you have enough piety to get CB on that poorly defended kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My hot take is that 3D character models were a mistake and completely mismatch the paradox aesthetic. I don't mind them too much but there's just something about them that makes me feel completely unexcited in a way 2D portraits didn't.

ilitarist posted:

and it's still in early access

I cannot imagine a more damning statement for a game that's been out for 2 years.