Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Timby posted:

I don't think you're going to find very many people who like the second more than the first.

I worded that poorly. I meant I liked both ASM movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

Very little, presumably. According to leaks, Stark's only in the movie for about 15 - 20 minutes (though Happy's in it quite a bit more).

Potentially unfortunate, but maybe for the best. RDJ's Stark has been the star of the Marvel movies so far for me, and I'd have liked to see more of him growing as a character.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I loved ASM and saw it in theaters 5 times, and a few more after buying the bluray, but after I saw ASM2 in theaters opening night I haven't watched either since. I'm worried that if I watch ASM again it will just look worse but I might bite the bullet tonight just to see if 1 has gotten worse or 2 has gotten better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Timby posted:

Very little, presumably. According to leaks, Stark's only in the movie for about 15 - 20 minutes (though Happy's in it quite a bit more).

Do the leaks say if J.J. is in it and if he's still played by J.K. Simmons?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

Do the leaks say if J.J. is in it and if he's still played by J.K. Simmons?

he's too busy being buff jim gordon

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Oh I remember now, the biggest problem with the Amazing Spider-Man movies is wasting a really great cast on daddy issues that would make Batman say "woah dude take it easy"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I enjoyed both of them. ASM1 more than 2 but I'm way way in the minority on that opinion.

The thing that made it for me was Emma Stone was really good, I liked Garfiled better than Toby and the romance part didn't drag it down for a change. Their relationship and the tension between them generated by Peter being Spiderman felt real and earned. The costume in ASM2 is sheer perfection and that film had some tremendous action sequences amidst an admittedly over convoluted plot. I liked the cast better overall too, right down to the supporting members (Sheen, Field, Leary, Giamatti) and felt they all delivered great performances with a somewhat wobbly script and some janky editing.

ASM1 is my favorite Spiderman movie but I liked IM2 and MoS too so everyone knows I have lovely taste sometimes but I don't think anyone can rightly call Webb's movies absolute poo poo.

Man we disagree on some things but we are spot on with this, I enjoy both of the ASM's immensely and think 2 got unfairly maligned. Except I disagree on that last part about ASM1 being a favorite, mine is still S-M2, although AS-M1 might be the second spot. Have the same reasons for liking 2 as well (perfect costume, good action, Stone, Garfield being funnier and more Spidey-like than Toby, romance wasn't too bad, etc)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

y'know, sony has a new spider-man game coming here in the next year or so, and a vr device they'd probably love to advertise, I want to see them put the first person footage of swinging around they filmed for Amazing Spider-Man on there.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

y'know, sony has a new spider-man game coming here in the next year or so, and a vr device they'd probably love to advertise, I want to see them put the first person footage of swinging around they filmed for Amazing Spider-Man on there.

Yeah, then you can vomit from motion sickness while seeing the world the way Spider-Man does.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Amazing Spider-Man 2 is loving garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEz_zs67hwY

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pops Mgee posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is loving garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEz_zs67hwY

I've seen that movie, I watched the entirety of the clip, and I have no loving idea what it was meant to communicate

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Snowman_McK posted:

I've seen that movie, I watched the entirety of the clip, and I have no loving idea what it was meant to communicate

What is Roosevelt?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pops Mgee posted:

What is Roosevelt?

A clue to what happened to his dad (specifically the location of his secret lab).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Amazing Spider-Man 2 has some high highs and some extremely low lows.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snowman_McK posted:

Neither did Marc Webb. Marc Webb just plucked the structure of that sequence out from 500 Days of Summer (a film he also directed) and converted it to suit Spider-Man's needs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angNn9Pmk0s

Guess he needed to pad the runtime maybe?

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 14, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Reginald Hudlin, director of Boomerang and House Party and a writer of Black Panther comics, is directing the Shadowman movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he..._source=twitter

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The MSJ posted:

Reginald Hudlin, director of Boomerang and House Party and a bad writer of Black Panther comics, is directing the Shadowman movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I finally saw the new Power Rangers movie and I thought it was okay overall. A little bland, if that makes sense - it wasn't boring or anything. I really wanted to like it more than I did, but it certainly was nice seeing the power rangers' armor on the big screen again. It looked pretty dope and I liked the modern updates - the textures and the cool looking miniature universe in a chest piece thing.

I couldn't help but compare this movie with Chronicle, which was a far superior movie - it devoted more time to the actual characters experimenting and trying to come to terms with implications of their new abilities. The kids in Power Rangers were all right and had their own characterization but everything else - the power ranger parts - just felt loose and a little rushed.

I'll have to think on it a little more and figure out why it didn't click, but I'm not sure there's much else to think on about with the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

Eh I don't blame you, it's the second reboot in 5 years and they're again going for the "Peter is an awkward kid in high school just trying to figure things out" angle again. I am looking forward to some of the other elements aside from that (new MJ, Keaton, Ganke, integration into the greater MCU hopefully) but there is so much to the Spider-Man story that they just refuse to really utilize.

Also if we flash back to the Uncle Ben death my eyes are going to roll right out of my skull.

She's not playing MJ.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thrawn527 posted:

She's not playing MJ.

Or Gwen, for that matter. She's apparently playing an original character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pops Mgee posted:

What is Roosevelt?

Roosevelt Island, where Ben Parker's Batcave was.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Or Gwen, for that matter. She's apparently playing an original character.

Not entirely original. She was in the comics under a different name, and Sam Raimi wanted to use her in Spider-Man 4.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Drifter posted:

I finally saw the new Power Rangers movie and I thought it was okay overall. A little bland, if that makes sense - it wasn't boring or anything. I really wanted to like it more than I did, but it certainly was nice seeing the power rangers' armor on the big screen again. It looked pretty dope and I liked the modern updates - the textures and the cool looking miniature universe in a chest piece thing.

I couldn't help but compare this movie with Chronicle, which was a far superior movie - it devoted more time to the actual characters experimenting and trying to come to terms with implications of their new abilities. The kids in Power Rangers were all right and had their own characterization but everything else - the power ranger parts - just felt loose and a little rushed.

I'll have to think on it a little more and figure out why it didn't click, but I'm not sure there's much else to think on about with the movie.

You're pretty much there.

It had a ton of character work for characters that never really did anything. Add an extra fight scene or two earlier than 3/4ths of the way through the movie, include more than just the Red Ranger fighting on the ground during the climax, and suddenly the whole thing opens up.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I got killed by that in Bloodborne.

Darkeater Midir from the last Dark Souls 3 DLC has an incredibly similar move where his flame breath (something pretty much every dragon enemy in the series has) will suddenly change into a laser beam of darkness and cause explosions everywhere. It's very unexpected the first time you encounter that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The bizarre idea that Peter Parker should have secret agent corporate espionage parents still baffles me. IIRC they brought back his parents in ASM 400 and it was for a weak sauce story that was quickly forgotten. There was no indication that anyone gave a poo poo about that idea, no great arc from the comics that was still discussed, nothing. They just invented a franchise element out of whole cloth and shoved it into the movie and IMO it was massively detrimental and you can feel the energy just drain out of the screen whenever it's happening.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Movies get too hung up on superhero origin stories sometimes. It's a big part of what killed all the Fantastic Four movies.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The bizarre idea that Peter Parker should have secret agent corporate espionage parents still baffles me. IIRC they brought back his parents in ASM 400 and it was for a weak sauce story that was quickly forgotten. There was no indication that anyone gave a poo poo about that idea, no great arc from the comics that was still discussed, nothing. They just invented a franchise element out of whole cloth and shoved it into the movie and IMO it was massively detrimental and you can feel the energy just drain out of the screen whenever it's happening.

i vaguely recall it being a thing from ultimate spider-man

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

dont even fink about it posted:

Movies get too hung up on superhero origin stories sometimes. It's a big part of what killed all the Fantastic Four movies.

Yeah, I wish more would handle them like the Ed Norton Hulk (however you feel about the rest of that movie). A montage over the opening credits of what we already know, and we're off for movie we actually want to tell.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I wish more would handle them like the Ed Norton Hulk (however you feel about the rest of that movie). A montage over the opening credits of what we already know, and we're off for movie we actually want to tell.

I wish Hollywood would give us more movies that involve Edward Norton or Tom Cruise furiously running.

Waiting two years for the next Mission Impossible movie doesn't cut it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Brother Entropy posted:

That's good info, thank you. I've never heard anyone utter a peep about it so I assume it was the same nothingburger of a story no matter what media they tried it in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just gave away an issue from the late 80s/90s I think where Redskull reveals he knows the truth of Peters parents and their covert lives and even as a kid who got that issue as a hand me down I knew it was a trash idea that did not belong in spider-man.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

Neither did Marc Webb. Marc Webb just plucked the structure of that sequence out from 500 Days of Summer (a film he also directed) and converted it to suit Spider-Man's needs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angNn9Pmk0s

Guess he needed to pad the runtime maybe?

"Character puts a bunch of random, seemingly unconnected stuff up on a wall and tries to figure out the connection" isn't exactly a sequence pioneered by (500) Days of Summer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Brother Entropy posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man wasn't the same thing. There were some similarities, though.

In Ultimate Spider-Man, Peter's dad is a scientist who invents the symbiote suit to cure cancer and left documents behind about the webbing compound.

He dies in a plane crash, but he isn't a secret agent.

(They have an aged clone of Peter who pretends to be his Dad that is a secret agent.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think the "parents being secret agents" angle could work if it was a fakeout.

Have it be about Peter getting obsessed with legacy or something and believes since he doesn't know his parents or because they were boring, he sucks too.

Then he find out they were secret agents and he gets kinda cocky from it.

In the end he learns that they were just average people that died in a freak accident and that he can't rely on the past or legacy when looking toward the future.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It seems in bad taste to me, if only because "they're actually secret agents" is such a childlike rationalization for absentee parents.

It sends such a strange message. There are a lot of children who's parents aren't around, but Peter Parker isn't like those people.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 14, 2017

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It was a nice narrative tool but is there anything clone related in Spider-Man that isn't garbage? Carnage-Gwen doesn't count

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aces High posted:

It was a nice narrative tool but is there anything clone related in Spider-Man loving anything that isn't garbage?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aces High posted:

It was a nice narrative tool but is there anything clone related in Spider-Man that isn't garbage? Carnage-Gwen doesn't count

Kaine is a really great character now. Really.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Clone High?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Schwarzwald posted:

It seems in bad taste to me, if only because "they're actually secret agents" is such a childlike rationalization for absentee parents.

It sends such a strange message. There are a lot of children who's parents aren't around, but Peter Parker isn't like those people.

Exactly why they should do a fakeout. At the end show that Peter Parker and those people are the same - children making up stories to cope with a loss.

But in the end, he reconciles with the past and realizes the family he has in the present is all he needs.

• Locked thread