Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Jesus christ go buy 1 dollar of kerosene and never worry about catching your cleaning rag in a spinning chain again. Work smarter and don't lose fingats in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
if you are dumb enough to stick your fingers in a spinning chain and sprocket i dont think you were smart enough to deserve fingers in the first place

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

EX250 Type R posted:

It is a great way to clean the chain.
Also a great way to lose fingat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
One of our customers lost a fingat that way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It's not sticking your finger in somewhere, it's having your shirt, rag, whatever snagged by the chain and taking it for a ride.

That said, letting the bike idle in first isn't the same as "going through the gears"

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
FINGATGATT

Man, if I tossed in a can of Whiskey Dog 20+20, this would quickly escalate from low grade slap fight to all out brawl.

Not that I've used the stuff on a chain. Recently.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Marv Hushman posted:

FINGATGATT

Man, if I tossed in a can of Whiskey Dog 20+20, this would quickly escalate from low grade slap fight to all out brawl.

Not that I've used the stuff on a chain. Recently.

Is Whiskey Dog 20+20 as good as Mad Dog 20/20? I need to know for future reference.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ripoff posted:

Is Whiskey Dog 20+20 as good as Mad Dog 20/20? I need to know for future reference.

Sounds like you need to do a taste test and let us all know.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

My point being that if you can take a rag and pour a little kerosene on it and then lay said rag on the chain and maybe move it left and right just a bit it will magically take off all that gunk without you doing a single ounce of real work. It's really the best method for goons. Works on wheels too.

The best part is you don't even need the key in the ignition for this one weird trick!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
WD-40 vs kerosene vs yamahondalube vs etc. Guaranteed to bring out the Wikichemists, though generally not on the same scale as a motor oil debate.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Is there a part of my statement you find to be insufficient? I have my PhD in Wikichemistry.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Baller Witness Bro posted:

My point being that if you can take a rag and pour a little kerosene on it and then lay said rag on the chain and maybe move it left and right just a bit it will magically take off all that gunk without you doing a single ounce of real work. It's really the best method for goons. Works on wheels too.

The best part is you don't even need the key in the ignition for this one weird trick!

You can even be really really lazy and put the kerosene in a spray bottle. Soak the chain and rub with a rag. It's a good way to degrease other parts of the bike too.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I don't like to spray a bunch of solvent on the o-rings though. Forcing out the grease/lube inside the rings is bad news and hard to get back in there. Rubbing the rag on the outside plates is good enough for me to have a shiny gold chain again while keeping my paranoia about shredding the o-rings intact.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

I don't like to spray a bunch of solvent on the o-rings though. Forcing out the grease/lube inside the rings is bad news and hard to get back in there. Rubbing the rag on the outside plates is good enough for me to have a shiny gold chain again while keeping my paranoia about shredding the o-rings intact.

I just use a sprayer that used to be full of simplegreen. It doesn't have enough force to make me worry about it.

E: It's literally a mister.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 27, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I just use my car's used motor oil when I replace my bike's oil. It's fine, right? Motorcycles are smaller, so don't need as clean oil.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, that should work. Remember, a bike engine isn't under a hood like a car, so it will be naturally cooler as well. The oil isn't quite as necessary to keep it cool.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Add some sand for a natural scrubbing action

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Add some sand for a natural scrubbing action

"What you doing with all that sand bro?"
"Exfoliating."

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Slavvy posted:

"What you doing with all that sand bro?"
"Exfoliating."

Well I figure that the detergents they put in gasoline help keep the engine clean so I also put some detergents (I've found Tide works best) in the oil to replace the ones the car has used.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SquadronROE posted:

Well I figure that the detergents they put in gasoline help keep the engine clean so I also put some detergents (I've found Tide works best) in the oil to replace the ones the car has used.

u moran, you have to use zitrionic detergents like CHAPSO if you're putting it in the oil. Tide (I prefer ajax because it' stronger, but w/e) is only for mixing with your gas (70/30 unless you're using diesel then it's 60/40 to counteract the extra dirtening power of diesel).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

Before you go tearing into the clutch make sure it's not just a couple pieces of metal rubbing on each other outside of the motor. Or a squeaky spring or something.

This. Especially on a Buell.

My little squeak is endearing though. I like it, it stays.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

builds character posted:

u moran, you have to use zitrionic detergents like CHAPSO if you're putting it in the oil. Tide (I prefer ajax because it' stronger, but w/e) is only for mixing with your gas (70/30 unless you're using diesel then it's 60/40 to counteract the extra dirtening power of diesel).

Did you mean to say zwitterionic?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

SquadronROE posted:

You know this sounds like made up sarcasm, but given your bike choices you seem dumb enough to be trying some or all of the things you've been talking about.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been using the z3n method of a drop of oil per link and never cleaning anything. Have gotten nearly 25k out of this chain and have only adjusted it once. The last chain I got about 30k.

As for oil...
Well, I prefer it in my engine but my Suzuki prefers it on the ground. It doesn't seem to have a preference so I put in whatever I get for free at work which has been 0W-40 Porsche spec Mobil 1 for the past few years. Used to be Rotella synthetic. Both seem to do the same thing (leak).
The Yamaha doesn't leak at all thankfully.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pirelli Rosso Corsa

I've been through a bunch of sets of multicompound tires in the past, though these are my first Pirellis. Why is the compound switchover curved? Is that even the compound switchover?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Eh, probably just a minor variation in how the rubber was introduced to the mold.

Otherwise, looks p normal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Eh, probably just a minor variation in how the rubber was introduced to the mold.

Normal? I know the colour change is a bit weird but i'd be much more concerned about that graining on the shoulders. Are you sure you've got the pressure right BlackM4? Or do you just ride particularly hard?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I figured as much but I'd seen tire wear patterns that slope like that between sipes and I wasn't sure if there was some suspension fuckery afoot. Also, I went through a bottle of fluid while bleeding today because I couldn't get a solid lever... until I read the goddamn service manual that points out that the little bolt in the master res is also a bleed valve. :allears:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Normal? I know the colour change is a bit weird but i'd be much more concerned about that graining on the shoulders. Are you sure you've got the pressure right BlackM4? Or do you just ride particularly hard?

I'm pretty slow. Pressures are right. :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 29, 2014

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Did you mean to say zwitterionic?

sonofabitch

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Graining is a sign that the rubber is being worked hard. That's right in the zone where you're dialing in a lot of throttle + lean angle, so the tire is a bit more stressed there, and I'd expect to see some graining. I've also seen that sort of wear in non-track tires run on the track. As it's a Rosso Corsa, not a Supercorsa or similar, I'd expect to see a bit of that because the compound isn't 100% designed for track use, and the rubber isn't soft enough to scrub away at the rate that it's used up, causing a bit of graining/surface distortion.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Looking at picking up new tires and was just looking at motorcycle-superstore.

They want 291.98 free shipping for Pilot Roads 2 and 327.18 free shipping for the Roads 3.

How much of a difference are there in the tires? Road 3's worth the upgrade to over the road 2's?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was hoping the front 3 would be quieter than the front 2 but it was about the same. I can't really tell the difference between the two sets.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rotaryfun posted:

Looking at picking up new tires and was just looking at motorcycle-superstore.

They want 291.98 free shipping for Pilot Roads 2 and 327.18 free shipping for the Roads 3.

How much of a difference are there in the tires? Road 3's worth the upgrade to over the road 2's?

In the dry the difference is slight, but in the wet the PR3's feel like they're light years ahead. They're also supposed to last longer, but your mileage may vary.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just so I'm straight, is motorcycle-superstore the place to get tires or is there somewhere else/new you guys suggest. It's the only place I've ever bought tires so I know they're quick.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Amazon is great, especially with prime, motorcycle superstore has been good in my experience as well.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

n8r posted:

You know this sounds like made up sarcasm, but given your bike choices you seem dumb enough to be trying some or all of the things you've been talking about.

You're a peach, never change.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah back up off a brother n8; it's not like he literally bought the bike everyone recommends in jest.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I'm looking forward to what I can do with it next. It'll be nice to have a nice, leaky ottoman.

To ask an actual question in the questions thread, what do you guys generally check before you ride? I pretty much do a pre-flight check: lights, turn signals, brakes, horn, oil level, tire pressure, tread depth. I know that's overkill though.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 29, 2014

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I look at it in the morning and if it looks the same as it did the day before I start it up and go. That's probably not the right answer but I commute almost every day so I hope I'd notice if something was out of whack pretty quickly. I'll lube the chain and check tire pressure every couple weeks (and check tires more frequently once it gets cold), but no real pre-ride check every time I ride it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

I look at it in the morning and if it looks the same as it did the day before I start it up and go. That's probably not the right answer but I commute almost every day so I hope I'd notice if something was out of whack pretty quickly.

Yeah same here, I just check the brake light/brake function before every ride (because the brake quick connect once disconnected somehow) but that's about it. Tire pressure and oil once every two weeks, though I do that quick temp check with my hand on the tires after most rides. Chain lube every drat week in the summer when I was doing like 600 miles weekly, though.