Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still waiting on my Master Grade 1/100 scale sears air conditioner.

ANOTHER SCORCHER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

One of the things that makes the original Gundam and (to a lesser extent) Zeta distinct from their predecessors in mech anime was that they took place in a wider context. It wasn't about a handful of plucky young people winning a war pretty much solo. It was about wider tides of history, and people in position to nudge them a bit.

ZZ, the Gundam Team is basically the only thing opposing Neo Zeon, with any of these barely trained teens being able to overcome armies of opposition.

(ZZ actually feels like where a bunch of Gundam cliches started settling in. You've got the protagonists all being unstoppable because they're Newtypes, the kids falling into the cockpit and being unstoppable without Amuro or Kamille's extensive plot justification, the protagonists are basically rebels against The Man rather than The Man sucking, but still being necessary... I'm not saying that it's bad, but in a lot of ways, it feels like the Gundam people complaining about Gundam are thinking of.)

Amuro didn't really have a lot of justification for why he was so good straight off the bat honestly. He was just a really talented individual. The show did make sure to emphasize that he put in a lot of training, but compared to Kamille who is set up straight away as a mini-mobile suit award winner with an interest in other related sports like Homo-Avis (flying machines), that he was the son of an engineer who designed suits himself etc. it's really not much. If anything, I'd say Judau has more justification off the bat than Amuro since he works with mini-mobile suits at his job, so he'd have some familiarity with the working of a mobile suit.

Then again, I don't really agree that Zeta is about the protagonists are part of a wider context to nearly the same degree as in 0079. AEUG feels like a really small group for much of the show, and Kamille directly confronts and kills the person he holds as singularly responsible for perpetuating the conflict he's mired in and who we as an audience know is in control of the Titans at that point, with the direct help of Newtype spirits. It makes it all feel very small and personal. Meanwhile, Amuro never even met any of the Zabis properly and never got close to Gihren. Who was already dead before Amuro even set foot in A Baoa Qu. Which he assaulted as part of one of the two largest fleet engagements in the show, in which almost everyone gets shot down, including Amuro, in a slog to push through Zeon's defences.

I might even say that ZZ feels less like the plucky heroes won the war solo, since AEUG were pretty useless against the colony drop and couldn't even save Mineva only a few episodes before the show's finale and the main reason that AEUG won out is because Neo Zeon tore itself apart in a civil war on the cusp of victory, with Haman and Glemy destroying much of each other's forces and leaving them so impoverished that Judau and his friends could destroy the remnants. Judau was against the main while the man sucked, but the crux of the show is also that Judau was eventually so embittered by the man that he opted to just up and leave the entire system behind because his plucky attitude wasn't enough to make any significant changes on it's own. It could allow him to breeze through his own life while deflecting the man, but the man still hosed everyone else regardless.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zeta strikes a weird balance where it feels very personal, but there is clearly some thing's going on in the background. When Wang is introduced and you see the Raidish introduced for the first time, it's clear that the AEUG is a bigger operation than just the Argama, and then you get all the stuff with Blex and the Feddie assembly showing how much the conflict really is a civil war. But it cuts it's own legs out from under it when Blex is killed and nearly all the important shot callers in the AEUG end up on the Argama. I suppose it makes for a more focused show, but it loses a lot of scope. By the time you get to the final battle of Gryps Argama basically is AEUG, which makes the whole thing either feel kind of small

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Judau is easily my favorite of the UC protagonists, and a lot of that stems from his reactions to the overall setting. His ending is one of the better, if not the best ending you could ask for after a UC series. Amuro's story is pretty good too, ending aside. Sorry you got stuck with that weirdo Char, bud.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, I didn't mention it since we were already doing the Tomino hype thing, but Turn A's fights are pretty good.

They also had a big edge over G-Reco's fights in that they usually felt like they had a point in the narrative. G-Reco's got some amazing moments in its fight scenes (I'd make a point of saying this one is my favorite if it wasn't everyone's favorite.) but often, the fights felt like they were filling a quota. They didn't really advance the plot. They just interrupted it. It was a thematic point that everyone was flailing, sure, but it wasn't well integrated. Meanwhile, when similar things happened in Turn A, it did influence the plot, with attacks on peace treaties throwing them into disarray, destroyed towns being brought up repeatedly as the plot continued, and Poe's repeated failures forming the center of her character arc. You generally understood people's reasons for their actions, even when they were really stupid reasons.

Speaking of stupid, Beecha. I assumed seeing more of ZZ Gundam would make the Neo Zeon war make more sense. Not really!

One of the things that makes the original Gundam and (to a lesser extent) Zeta distinct from their predecessors in mech anime was that they took place in a wider context. It wasn't about a handful of plucky young people winning a war pretty much solo. It was about wider tides of history, and people in position to nudge them a bit.

ZZ, the Gundam Team is basically the only thing opposing Neo Zeon, with any of these barely trained teens being able to overcome armies of opposition.

(ZZ actually feels like where a bunch of Gundam cliches started settling in. You've got the protagonists all being unstoppable because they're Newtypes, the kids falling into the cockpit and being unstoppable without Amuro or Kamille's extensive plot justification, the protagonists are basically rebels against The Man rather than The Man sucking, but still being necessary... I'm not saying that it's bad, but in a lot of ways, it feels like the Gundam people complaining about Gundam are thinking of.)

Oh, and if we're spilling where we got started for Gundam, I started with Turn A, but IBO was the first Gundam I watched week to week.

To be fair the only reason they're able to win in ZZ is because Neo-Zeon ends up tearing itself apart

Gaius Marius posted:

God I remember looking at all the cool lineart on Gundam official over dialup for the first time, and whenever they'd add a new section I'd sit and wait for the images to load to see what cool new mech there was.

ZZ and Victory were this bizarre creation stuck in Japan that you could only get small glimpses of, the line Victory on Gundamofficial was a single sentence about Zanscare I believe.

Discovering MAHQ for the first time was a revelation, I spent Days pouring over all these weird new Mobile suits I'd never seen, in strange manga's that will never be translated. I kinda miss the discovery of it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJ60JkPXsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8zUqP8yu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJLVEC-Rx84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxQUvFC1HOg

Lord I used to spend as much free time as possible on MAHQ back in middle and high school

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seabook and Uso seem like they had a decent time of it. I mean for the circumstances

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam pilots either die young or live long enough to say "gently caress it" and move to Jupiter.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Define "young" in Gundam terms. Cause I mean, Amuro was pretty old when he died, at least compared to other pilots in UC, but Judau was still one of the youngest pilots around when he said "screw it" and absconded to Jupiter. Most AU Gundam pilots have a pretty good track record too. Flit and Setsuna definitely got a good run, at the very least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When 29 is old, that's some real anime scale

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm 20 episodes in to Seed and wow, I really forgot how crazy Flay got.

Like Flay has some serious Single White Female/Hand that Rocks the Cradle vibes.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 4, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sjs00 posted:

I also find that I am lot less critical than this thread on most of the big issues, and again I watched these shows a while ago and mainly for the designs.
And poo poo the political intrigue of the past Tomino is kinda outdone by todays Isayama and that's where I have focused my anime modern relevance braincells

Oh gently caress I didn't know people still read AoT

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xarbala posted:

Oh gently caress I didn't know people still read AoT

I only ever read the first few chapters, but I thought the anime/manga was pretty well liked all along despite hearing something about a basement that dragged on; did opinion turn on it at some point?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I only ever read the first few chapters, but I thought the anime/manga was pretty well liked all along despite hearing something about a basement that dragged on?

Tenth best selling manga of 2020 (pretty impressive for a monthly) and the most popular show on American TV for a while in 2021.

As for the basement, Eren, the protagonist, was given a key to the family basement by his dad in chapter 1.

Eren didn't manage to reach the basement until chapter 85, released seven years later.

It was a bit of a running gag in anime communities how long it was taking. (Then the reveal came, and it was clear why the manga took so long to show its hand. Things in the manga got kinda crazy after that, in a good way.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
AoT literally ends in like a week (9th April is the final chapter)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Literally everything after the timeskip is better, both plotwise and in world-building, than everything that came before but it doesn't seem to have hardcore stans like other big properties, or to carry the sort of long-tail meaty discussion that you find in stuff that has a lot of cultural staying power.

It's honestly kind of weird!

This is literally the first time since the pandemic started that I've stumbled onto anybody ever mentioning Isayama outside of a thread, channel, or forum specifically talking about AoT. Much less mentioning him in the same breath as Legendary Notorious Weirdo, Tomino.

Sometimes I wonder if the latter portion of AoT was just too daring and different to really sustain the same level of mass appeal the early story did.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
aot trends super hard evertime an episode airs. It's not a niche anime, or died down in discussion.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

isnt aot about nazis getting their just rewards tho

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ramadu posted:

isnt aot about nazis getting their just rewards tho

not unless you're already trying to read it that way and stop the moment you feel like that reading has been justified

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

actually even then "getting their just rewards" i don't think fits with even a fairly superficial reading. you could say the story justifies fascism, at which point there's a conversation to be had about why someone holds that belief and why i think it's dumb as bricks, but there definitely isn't anything i can think of under that reading that would really qualify as "and then good things happened to the nazi characters." it's pretty plainly a story where only bad things happen to its cast

i guess if you hold that the primary viewpoint characters are nazis, they do participate in a successful government coup, though the presentation of that event i still wouldn't exactly call "getting their just rewards"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 4, 2021

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ninjewtsu posted:

actually even then "getting their just rewards" i don't think fits with even a fairly superficial reading. you could say the story justifies fascism, at which point there's a conversation to be had about why someone holds that belief and why i think it's dumb as bricks, but there definitely isn't anything i can think of under that reading that would really qualify as "and then good things happened to the nazi characters." it's pretty plainly a story where only bad things happen to its cast

"Just rewards" can mean "loving wiped out"

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

AOT is pretty much this century's 0079.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GimmickMan posted:

A revolutionary series that broke with the tropes of the super genitalless giant genre and singlehandedly created the "real genitalless giant" genre

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I can see that.

Moving back to Gundam, though, I found something kind of interesting for IBO poking through tech specs.

Apparently, the Schwalbe Graze is capable of atmospheric flight. I'd kind of assumed Gjallarhorn didn't use air capable mobile suits on Earth due to a lack of capacity, but apparently it was just lack of need.

PD continues to be surprisingly advanced for a setting where hereditary nobles smack people to death with oversized axes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, but you have to greet each other and spend five minutes before each fight making ritualized "let me axe you a question" jokes before each fight, or you don't get invited to the Seven Stars' parties anymore.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean when poo poo gets extremely real they've got railguns, everything else is just formality and commentary.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Air superiority wasn't much of a factor when their typical opponent couldn't even field Mobile Suits. Grazes were pretty solid workhorses for squashing most pirates and upstart rebels underfoot until Tekkadan started an arms race across the solar system.

Xarbala posted:

I mean when poo poo gets extremely real they've got railguns, everything else is just formality and commentary.

Nah, the railguns specifically were due to Tekkadan and McGillis and Rustal using them, I think, s a countermeasure to the Flauros? They would normally be quite off the table as a conventional option.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 4, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The only people who actually used Dainsleifs were Iok's splinter fleet against the Turbines, Rustal's Arianhrod fleet against McGillis's rebel fleet(and later against the protagonists), and the Flauros, which fired precisely one Dainsleif, the only one that Tekkadan had, during the suicide run on Rustal's flagship.

McGillis actually never used Dainsleifs. The one member of the McGillis faction that supposedly fired one was a false flag plant that Rustal snuck in to provide a plausible justification for him to deploy them en masse to wipe out McGillis's rebels with minimal casualties to Arianhrod - since Dainsleifs were an illegal taboo weapon, he needed an excuse to say "look at the perfidious rebels deploying these forbidden superweapons, we had no choice but to defend ourselves in kind".

I suspect that McGillis might not have liked the idea of using Dainsleifs even if he had them, because their very nature as a weapon runs directly against his fairy tale perception of individual power and skill being the ultimate deciding factor in combat.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 4, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait, they're called Turbines, not Turbans?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait, they're called Turbines, not Turbans?

Correct. Naze's name is Naze Turbine, and all of the members of his organization are formally adopted into his family for various reasons(typically through marriage), so they're all Turbines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do they use the long I or short I in the Japanese audio track? In English it's all turban rather than Turb-Eye-Ne.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 4, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do they use the long I or short I in the Japanese audio track? In English it's all turban rather than Turb-Eye-Ne.

Tur-bean iirc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So that just makes me wonder what the hell happened in the recording booth to make it come out as Turban. I thought we'd be past that kind of weird pronunciation nowadays. I still shudder at 0083 pronouncing Kycillia as Kshyriya because they didn't account for anglicising the name.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 4, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Look up persona 5 dub pronouncing sakamoto and that was mandated by the Japanese producers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll never understand that need to micromanage. It seems pathological.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So that just makes me wonder what the hell happened in the recording booth to make it come out as Turban. I thought we'd be past that kind of weird pronunciation nowadays. I still shudder at 0083 pronouncing Kycillia as Kshyriya because they didn't account for anglicising the name.

Turbine has two acceptable english pronunciations: long i or short i (turb-in).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still weird to me. I've only ever heard the long I variant because of confusion with Turban. English, you weird language.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's accents in the US that pronounce Turbine the same as Turban, maybe they just got one of those guys

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still weird to me. I've only ever heard the long I variant because of confusion with Turban. English, you weird language.

I grew up hearing it both ways. You can usually tell from context even if your power plant is 100% staffed by Sikh men. "Fully Sikh," you might say.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aren't pretty much all new anime shows dubbed over in New York or Texas? Ocean Group hasn't dubbed anything for Gundam in years so I haven't gotten my Canuck dubbing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ninjewtsu posted:

i guess if you hold that the primary viewpoint characters are nazis, they do participate in a successful government coup, though the presentation of that event i still wouldn't exactly call "getting their just rewards"

i mostly just meant that the main town were the nazis and the titans were the former jews or whatever fantasy world equivelent and coming to gently caress them up forever for how horrible they were as revenge . at least thats what i thought i heard the story eventually went with, ive never seen or read it at all