Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

yep that poo poo's siloed. people wont get into the solar/battery/power biz unless they can lord the info over people from behind the curtain at a billion dollars an hour. CAPITALISM

there are several solutions but i dislike your fascism on drills so i dunno

ponder this

you don't have to blast a 3/4" hole for an NMO through visible metal, you just nip a couple screw holes in any body seam. If you're crafty you can just use one big existing body bolt if you got one in there.

other than that you need to bond to the car body via a very short and low inductance thing. so you're still looking at drilling a hole or using existing

i was thinking of running a strap or something to the roof rail bolts, under the rail. would that work, or is a few inches too long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

My main gripe with the thing is the volume knob, which is too small and too close to the antenna for my hamfists.

eh, i just reacharound the antenna with thumb and index finger for it from the left, works for me

its just to make room for the Acutal Real Working Squelch Control under the tuning dial, instead of the bullshit fake radio SQL=1-10 setting buried in a menu which is fuckin useless

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

eh, i just reacharound the antenna with thumb and index finger for it from the left, works for me

its just to make room for the Acutal Real Working Squelch Control under the tuning dial, instead of the bullshit fake radio SQL=1-10 setting buried in a menu which is fuckin useless

the squelch can be fixed with CHIRP now, but yea

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
either way, you arent gonna be programming it with CHIRP in the middle of a QSY where the noise floor changes or just spinning the dial

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

the Actual Real Working squelch on my 1900r doesn't work for poo poo. i mean i guess it does, but so much intermod around here :(. i gotta tone squelch everything i can. fire dept doesn't tho and neither do the calling freqs (obv).

not much i can do besides a band-pass filter, huh?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the one in your vehicle? Are you sure its not just alternator whine/other noise from your vehicle?

got any filtering on the DC leads?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

actually, maybe I can fabricate a mount that attaches between the roof and the rail. spacers all around so it doesn't gently caress things up.

time to find someone who does cnc machining~

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

either way, you arent gonna be programming it with CHIRP in the middle of a QSY where the noise floor changes or just spinning the dial

no you can redefine the levels to different values so you can actualyl have a functioning scale.

You would still need to go into the menu to change it but you can make it function

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

no you can redefine the levels to different values so you can actualyl have a functioning scale.

You would still need to go into the menu to change it but you can make it function

ahh, lol, so its even shittier than i thought

i was just offended by the fact that it wasnt a real squelch on a knob in the first place

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

ahh, lol, so its even shittier than i thought

i was just offended by the fact that it wasnt a real squelch on a knob in the first place

yeah from factory it's just half a bees dick and it opens, irregardless of the level.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

the one in your vehicle? Are you sure its not just alternator whine/other noise from your vehicle?

got any filtering on the DC leads?

yeah, that one. I guess it's possible. I do have a thingy on the dc leads... But i heard local pd mototrbo break through on the fire freq. my baofeng does that poo poo too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKP7MG this guy. it got rid of the obvious alternator whine that was coming out of the speakers even when the squelch was closed.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
So a few days ago my neighbor's dog went missing and we did a big loving search for it (getting out my trailing dog and everything) and I realized as I stomped through the woods that this would work way better if we had radios. This terrain is heavily wooded and features many hills and gorges. I went online and looked at the FRS radios and they all work like poo poo in the terrain I'm in. Then I looked at those bao feng radios.

TL;DR - With the appropriate licensing for me and my wife (who was studying for technician a few years back anyway) can I get some of those sweet looking baofeng china specials and use them as super walkies that might actually have enough juice to cut through the trees and bounce off the troposphere to keep contact down in gullies? I would assume doing that would entail finding a clear band, but is doing something like that con sidered a dick move?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Well, it's illegal for one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just get your licenses and use em on the regular bands. theres plenty of room and you wont bother anybody

you wont really get much bounce effect at those freqs, you want to be running shortwave between about 3.5 and 7 mhz for that, and you probably dont want to drag around a radio with a 132 foot antenna. but you will prob be pleasantly surprised at what a 5 watt vhf can do in the sticks

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
made it into the tupelo repeater tonight. their net is thursday at 7, heard some guys still ragchewin on my way back to the office 20 minutes or so ago. had to hold down moni cause i was driving and have rf squelch turned up (cause i have to). but thats good to know. our repeater has some really good range now that it got relocated too.

tomorrow, green building repeater.

(also, dallas has the best skyline)

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

Jonny 290 posted:

just get your licenses and use em on the regular bands. theres plenty of room and you wont bother anybody

my understanding (based on Amazon reviews so maybe not the most informed) is that the China specials aren't licensed for that even though they are more than capable. is there a man portable set more suitable? Sorry to poo poo up your cool + good thread.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Rigel posted:

my understanding (based on Amazon reviews so maybe not the most informed) is that the China specials aren't licensed for that even though they are more than capable. is there a man portable set more suitable? Sorry to poo poo up your cool + good thread.

the amateur radio service does not need type-accepted devices, unlike every other radio service in this country. you can build your own radio from chewing gum and paperclips if you want. As long as you stay on frequencies you're authorized to use you'll be good. Also, you'll learn about this, but there are 'gentlemen's agreements' inside of the bands you're allowed to use, so that simplex (radio to radio) is over here, while repeaters are over there and digital is on these freqs etc etc. It's not illegal to not follow these plans, but it's kind of a dick move.

check out hamstudy.org. if all you want is to talk on ur baofeng all you need is your tech. it's ezpz. if you think you might be interested in this as an actual hobby instead of a way to talk to ur wife in the woods, get the general. it's not much harder.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

the amateur radio service does not need type-accepted devices, unlike every other radio service in this country.

and that's why you need two different radios if you want both 10m and CB in your car :mad:

e: i wonder if there's a market for an amateur mobile transceiver with a slot for a separate cb radio what's controlled with the same electronics and so on.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

and that's why you need two different radios if you want both 10m and CB in your car :mad:

e: i wonder if there's a market for an amateur mobile transceiver with a slot for a separate cb radio what's controlled with the same electronics and so on.

cb is basically fyad in the states, so no, not really. except maybe the prepper market, but its not like they care about having a type accepted 11m rig anyway

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
my old-rear end apartment has a shitload of interference that has prevented me from using my end fed antenna. we are talking s9 noise across all hf bands. because i am an idiot and have no idea how to do things is there something i should be trying or is there even a better kind of antenna for my living situation?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Freshwater Louie posted:

my old-rear end apartment has a shitload of interference that has prevented me from using my end fed antenna. we are talking s9 noise across all hf bands. because i am an idiot and have no idea how to do things is there something i should be trying or is there even a better kind of antenna for my living situation?

is the antenna outside or inside? how high up?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

fcc will never until the end of forever approve a device for both CB and any other use whatsoever. they had to fight hard to get weather band RX approval.

however this has not always been so

there was a brief but intense war in the seventies. a dark age. with much hollering and grumbling.
CB was *huge* and so was HF ham radio and they built radios that could operate both on 11meter CB and 10/15/20/40/80 ham bands.

indeed, the FT-301SD that i am repairing for sniep is one of these storied Conflict Radios. turn a switch to a particular position and there you are on twenty seven dot three eight fuckin five. from the factory

interesting note, 11 meters used to be a ham band so it has a back and forth history almost

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

PuTTY riot posted:

is the antenna outside or inside? how high up?

there is a tree that allows me to hang it pretty much straight horizontally from a window around 12 feet in the air or so

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm def not an expert but a portable AM radio should help you find whats causing all the noise. not that it means you can fix any of it. :shrug: getting it outside and up is step 1, and it sounds like you did that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

fcc will never until the end of forever approve a device for both CB and any other use whatsoever. they had to fight hard to get weather band RX approval.

i'm talkin' about a ham radio that, by complete coincidence, has a slot that'll accept a cb radio module tho

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm talkin' about a ham radio that, by complete coincidence, has a slot that'll accept a cb radio module tho

it sounds like you're talking about it going thru the same finals to the same antenna tho

the only way it would work is if it was a remote head that had two leads to two different radios and two antennas entirely

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
on all my newer Icoms i just leave the squelch on auto and i've never had any problems with FM

the Kirisun DMR even has a noise gate (that seems to be operated by a noise squelch type filter) on the FM rx so there's very little to no noise when the carrier drops and it gates when the carrier's unmodulated
--

delta loop parts are all here and i'm just waiting on a dog delivery and i can drive out to the house to set up my sweet 80m full wave NVIS (hopefully multi band) loop today/tomorrow
weather's a bit terrible too which is always a good sign

i should have around 15-20 meters of antenna wire left over to build something fun later too, exactly what will depend on how well the loop works across the range of bands

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I FOUND A HOLE

The V70 has, under a little compartment cover that can be pulled up, an air extractor vent. I can run coax through it and fasten a covered jack under the car.

Sniep posted:

it sounds like you're talking about it going thru the same finals to the same antenna tho

the only way it would work is if it was a remote head that had two leads to two different radios and two antennas entirely

i was talking basically a self-contained radio with its own antenna jack that happens to fit inside a slot and can be controlled by the ham radio

this is a moot discussion though :shrug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

you get an ear and brain for it. pretty much just immersion therapy. put the headphones on, listen. try to copy as much as you can.

before you know it you'll be picking out the sounds of words like "that" and "radio" and "antenna" and if you can predict those, it gives you a good second or two to write the word out and then wait for next.

for now my routine is:

go home, get on 20 meters, try to listen in for QRS (slow speed) guys. as the evening wears on, pop down to 40 meters where the old school straight key guys hang out around 7120 khz. They aren't picky with who they talk to and are pretty much just "try it out!" CW evangelists. Nail a QSO, talk to a dude. Then spend a little while just listening to guys chatting at a speed higher than I can copy. to end it out i have a big speed practice where I just get on the code practice oscillator, turn the speed up to about 25 words per minute, load up a couple of tickets in the Jira from work and use the ticket notes as my practice text.

cool as hell and sounds like a good training technique

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the subtler joke is that you're supposed to practice with text that you've never looked at before :haw:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

the subtler joke is that you're supposed to practice with text that you've never looked at before :haw:

l

o

l

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
talked to a dude on the repeater on top of the green building. 1000 feet up dude said. awesome. also saw a magmount on a truck and then noticed ham plates lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
he must've moved or smth cause Texas is still fiveland.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cali import yeah

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the dude I talked to sounded more country than anyone in oxford. and my parents' neighbors ($$$ 'hood) have a confederate flag attached to their fence. wtf lol.

but yeah done with radio stuff I guess since its a family trip. maybe I'll turn the radio back on at commute time

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
got the loop stretched out about 1 meter above ground for tonight, tunes up readily on all bands and seems to have good sensitivity on most bands, 40-20 meters are blowing up with activity, but 80 is pretty quiet

tomorrow i'll put up the mounts i brought to get it up to around 5 meters and shorten the ladder line feed to reduce the tuning losses a bit

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

KI6 is the new 415

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

why is it that the only ham radio manufacturers that really seem to be innovating are like... yaesu and loving Wouxun

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

lol

2015 newest good design 50W high power radio!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
what innovations are they coming out with specifically?

yaesu seems to have done a lot of decent work in the past with things like APRS integration and porting some commercial features like automatic range transponders which is presumably useful for emergency communications.
their digital mode however seems fairly simplistic really, modulation-wise it's similar to DMR and the user/application layer is a fairly natural evolution over D-Star with faster data

making a cheap repeater (two mobile rigs in a rack) was brilliant, Icom D-Star repeaters are stupidly expensive and complicated in comparison

wouxun... have they done anything other than making a decentish HT with full duplex (a feature a lot of radios had 20 years ago but then lost for some reason)?

• Locked thread