Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Geburan posted:

I don’t really get the skills at all. I’m still in Kingsmouth and the quests are really engaging, but combat is just something that I need to do to get around. Running Trickster and using Chaos for crowds and Pistols for single target. Everything melts pretty quick, but there is no real emotional engagement in the combat. Maybe I’m just over MMOs.

And what's even worse is this is the exact complaint most of the changes to the combat system were intended to solve, at least if you believe the official story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Geburan posted:

I don’t really get the skills at all. I’m still in Kingsmouth and the quests are really engaging, but combat is just something that I need to do to get around. Running Trickster and using Chaos for crowds and Pistols for single target. Everything melts pretty quick, but there is no real emotional engagement in the combat. Maybe I’m just over MMOs.

Combat used to be more involved and required a bit more thought into the builds. But that was removed in favor of the "everything works!" newbie friendly stuff to try to keep people from rage quitting after 3 days.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
My experience with the first iteration of this game was that all 3 magic weapons felt just fine, all 3 melee weapons felt just fine, but all 3 firearms were just incredibly awkward to use. They didn't feel like actual guns due to their cooldowns/buildups and their energy pips were stored on the guy you were fighting instead of on your character. Firing point blank range at the guy that's biting your face off just didn't seem to work right in Secret World. I have zero interest in any of the firearm sets in this game.

My advice would be to try out a melee/magic build and see if you have a better time with it. I hear that Elementalism & Blade are in really bad shape atm, so maybe avoid those two for now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TracerM17 posted:

Combat used to be more involved and required a bit more thought into the builds. But that was removed in favor of the "everything works!" newbie friendly stuff to try to keep people from rage quitting after 3 days.

To be fair "everything works!" is a lot better than "research weird esoteric build using mechanics you don't understand to avoid sucking, also grind out the skills from 15 different branches".

You shouldn't be fighting your build or the controls. Should fighting boss mechanics and such instead.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Making your own build in original TSW without just looking up something from a website to copy usually ended up like:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The number of traps you could fall into while making a build in old TSW was nuts. There was so much cruft that could have been (and eventually was, when they did their big skills rework) trimmed from the system without issue.

(also you could cobble together a passable build on your own that would give you no trouble up until you hit a certain point in the game and then BAM you realised it wasn't good enough to move forward with but OOPS now you have no AP and can't unfuck your build without grinding the poo poo out of something)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Personally, I found the old version infuriating and only made it a few inches into Savage Coast before it was just too frustrating to be worth it. I absolutely hated the wheel and everything about it. I actually play the game now, largely because of the changes to combat.

I get that some people don't feel the same way, but that's my personal story, thank you for your time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Original TSW was the ultimate expression of a skill tree being complex without actually being deep or flexible.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I didn't hate the skill wheel, but I also didn't start seriously playing TSW until pretty late in it's lifespan so I guess it might have gone through a bunch of reworks by that point? That or I just got very lucky with my skill selections :shrug:

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
My experience with the TSW ability wheel was clinging to the premade decks like they were life-preservers and just shrugging whenever my friend (who had been playing the game since near launch) would tell me that there were better builds out there. It got me through pre-Manufactory Kaidan, at which point I didn't want to deal with the AEGIS grind and stopped, so I never found out if I would been utterly useless in endgame content.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Personally, I found the old version infuriating and only made it a few inches into Savage Coast before it was just too frustrating to be worth it. I absolutely hated the wheel and everything about it. I actually play the game now, largely because of the changes to combat.

I get that some people don't feel the same way, but that's my personal story, thank you for your time.

I enjoyed the synergies that could be created but I don't at all disagree that it was a hot mess in its execution. I managed to get to Tokyo in TSW where it became more an issue of not having weapons leveled to match whatever new build I'd need. I outright quit instead of going through a second gear grind and theory craft marathon.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Space Skeleton posted:

Making your own build in original TSW without just looking up something from a website to copy usually ended up like:

This is absolutely correct. At times I wanted to shake things up and try something new. So I would just stare the ability wheel and mix and match things for an hour and finally come up with something that was good and synergized well together. But then realized my playstyle would also have to completely change, and that was a deal breaker. So I would just revert back to my tried and true build. :suicide:

Good, good times.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 4, 2017

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The main thing I hated about old TSW was that you needed like 300 AP investments to reach X skill in the outer rings. AP was easier to get to be sure but still. Also, there were a bunch of skill types which had about one passive interaction making it all feel kind of pointless.

Appreciated having a bunch of different normal attacks though. It wasn't particularly good but that Chaos skill that had you spin around throwing knives was fun to look at.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Space Skeleton posted:

That's pretty much how I felt with the old skill wheel. I did like the freedom for possibilities but sweet God upon High it was so easy to make a less optimal choice that would take what felt like forever to rectify. I was doing an AR/Elementalism combo on my main that was fine at the first stage of Kingsmouth but sucked sweaty balls in Savage Coast. I ended up switching to one of the basic decks to just have something playable but it still was still a lot of grinding to build up enough points to at least hit the requisite skills for a viable build. I like the changes made so you've got something workable right out of the gate and can work towards something different. With my Templar who's Hammer/Sword, while's mostly fine, I started working towards AR as a side option where range just works out better than melee like with the issue of melee crits in the catgod fight. Even with a level 2 green AR with barely any points in AR, I was still able to plink away while moving around like some mishmash of the hokey-pokey and the Time Warp and critting enough to complete the fight.

I also like the crafting changes since my bank was pretty much solid crafting mats even after condensing them down to as far as they could go.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Oh yeah on a stream they showed off an upcoming system where once you get past level 20 you can allocate your stats between attack/defense/heal which adjusts the distribution of your talisman stats.

Glyphs, Signets, and Special Effects are unchanged. This lets you have one single set of gear and adjust your main stat however you want.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
That's really cool. it means if you have dedicated tank or heal gear you won't really suffer for general content. People with DPS gear can easily switch over to heals too, if they have the relevant abilities.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Scenarios aren't going to be absolutely painful anymore. Too bad that's still not actual content worth signing back in for.

I'm going to be so far behind the discord goons by the time new content actually comes out

Len fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 5, 2017

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Len posted:

Scenarios aren't going to be absolutely painful anymore. Too bad that's still not actual content worth signing back in for

Same patch is also adding 2 extra rewards to scenario chests. It can be any two of weapon distil, talisman distil, signet distil, or a signet bag which can have any signet.

Last boss of all dungeons is getting the same treatment, as are lair chests.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 5, 2017

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Oh and I should mention that you will be able to use levelled up talismans/weapons to empower others for 40% of the invested XP. So if you have been levelling multiple sets which would be redundant/unwanted in the upcoming system you can recoup 40% of that xp.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So what I'm hearing is the does set I had to build up to purple in order to do scenarios to level my glyphs is now redundant only gently caress you you aren't getting that xp back. Oh and there's still no actual content HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Len posted:

So what I'm hearing is the does set I had to build up to purple in order to do scenarios to level my glyphs is now redundant only gently caress you you aren't getting that xp back. Oh and there's still no actual content HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What, no, you can transfer 40% of that xp to your existing gear, or I believe 100% if it's matching.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

theflyingorc posted:

What, no, you can transfer 40% of that xp to your existing gear, or I believe 100% if it's matching.

I dumped so many cache distillates into that gear 40% is not a fair trade :colbert:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Len posted:

I dumped so many cache distillates into that gear 40% is not a fair trade :colbert:

Pretty sure it's 100% if it's matching, and lots should match after the patch (I don't know the details, didn't work on this feature)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd forgotten what beautiful bastards Said and Nassir were. :allears:

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
New update today with the biggest change being that there is only one type of talisman per slot. No more Damage/Health/Healing types, so that empowering any same-slot talisman will get you the 2.5X bonus. There's also the Anima Allocation system in which you can change the stats for Damage, Survivability (Health and Protection), and Healing. Patch notes here.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
This patch is cool and good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does it solve the lack of content issue?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Len posted:

Does it solve the lack of content issue?

All the content issues from original Secret World are free for TSW players

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Capntastic posted:

All the content issues from original Secret World are free for TSW players

And if I've done all of that in both the old and new game?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Len posted:

And if I've done all of that in both the old and new game?

You hardly play any more Evil so why do you caaaare?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

You hardly play any more Evil so why do you caaaare?

I would if there was content! I just don't care about grinding the same dungeons over and over to get to the next tier so I can repeat the process until e10.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The patch notes mention two of the Blajini vendors in Agartha are missing...

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Did they ever add the Illuminati gas masks back in?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Propagandist posted:

This is an important question.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
New story content coming in Q1 2018 based on latest financial report: http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2017/Funcom_3Q17_report.pdf

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Propagandist posted:

I have them on my level 50 character at least.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

I have them on my level 50 character at least.

I got it using the character transfer, so I guess it's a TSW item? Anyway, I'm back in, hopefully I can make it pass blue mountain for once with the gameplay changes, everything is a gently caress ton easier now for sure.

I am high enough level for Polaris apparently, not sure how I feel about jumping into that.

E: Question, is there any way to get the deck outfits like Fixer and Bodyguard, the decks that didn't make the cut?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

E: Question, is there any way to get the deck outfits like Fixer and Bodyguard, the decks that didn't make the cut?
Nope. In theory they're going to be added with higher faction ranks (tied to the apparently now non-existent agent system), but who knows.

Needless to say, I am a very sad space fixer.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Anyone have an idea where any of the event lore is? I'm using the loretracker mod and it's not pinging anything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Look it up on tswdb. All of it is at the same locations as whenever the last Krampusnacht was. Also loretracker need to be updated by its creator to include new lore.