Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I haven't tried with a controller, but I'm sure it's fine.

Since your eyes are on the road and not the wheel, in sure you'll get used to it. I know many people swear by using the dual sense motion controls, which would be an option.

I used to play Star Wars Squadrons in VR and started doing the full setup on my racing rig and with a HOTAS to maximise the immersion. Eventually I got sick of all the setup needed, and the fact the HOTAS was much less accurate, and just would play on my office desk with a controller,

In that instance VR made me a much better pilot because I could track targets. I feel it's the same with driving games because I can look at the corners as I turn, and especially for the spatial awareness of cars around me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Any good sim-ish racing recommendations? I’ve always been a huge GT fan and getting a G29 has made GT7 much more enjoyable. I’ve been eyeing WRC, but I have no idea what else is on PS5/4. If it helps I love GT/FM (not particularly Forza Horizon), enjoyed Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa on PC, single player stuff preferably

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Isometric Bacon posted:

In that instance VR made me a much better pilot because I could track targets. I feel it's the same with driving games because I can look at the corners as I turn, and especially for the spatial awareness of cars around me
In 2D I played in bumper cam and rally sucked because of the fixed straight-ahead view, in VR I am a quite solid rally driver because I can actually look where I'm going.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah that's exactly why I am interested in the VR headset. I constantly find myself staring down directly in front of the car instead of looking farther ahead, and you can only look through the corner as much as the screen will show. Unfortunately I don't really have the space for a wheel/pedal setup at the moment, but maybe I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheapish VR2

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any good sim-ish racing recommendations? I’ve always been a huge GT fan and getting a G29 has made GT7 much more enjoyable. I’ve been eyeing WRC, but I have no idea what else is on PS5/4. If it helps I love GT/FM (not particularly Forza Horizon), enjoyed Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa on PC, single player stuff preferably

ACC is good and I am forever salty because those lazy assholes don't want to set up VR on the ps5

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mercedes posted:

ACC is good and I am forever salty because those lazy assholes don't want to set up VR on the ps5

ACC is a beast to get running well in VR even on a beefy PC. It’s doable but I doubt it would work on PS.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mercedes posted:

I keep wanting ACC but being locked into only GT3 like stuff seems kinda… eh?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I feel like 99% of SA people are older now and can appreciate family poo poo.

I finally took the Logitech G23 out of storage (yeah the PS3 one) and christ GT7 PSV2 feels shockingly even better. And eerie at how good they at anticipating how your hand will move. But obviously also hosed up if you're switching to alternative-handed drive.

I haven't done this before because my partner's lovely 9 year old is fascinated with VR, and I could just hide the kit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This GR. 1 weekly race sucks, I can’t figure out what combo of car and tires to use, the top 3 don’t pit so even running 1:38 laps in the Red Bull cheater car I got 4th by 20 seconds because I had to stop.

e: Beat it with the Mazda LM55 Gr1 with stock tuning and the additional turbo on medium tires, fuel 5 or 6 until the last couple laps. It's probably doable without the turbo and a higher fuel setting as well. If you're down for it you get a 6 star car coupon [I got a super formula :(]

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 1, 2024

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/DAL_Arusu00/status/1785345965022663074
Impressive physics break. Thought this kind of stuff only happens in iRacing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The space launch is a time honoured tradition of racing game physics.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Bentai posted:

https://twitter.com/DAL_Arusu00/status/1785345965022663074
Impressive physics break. Thought this kind of stuff only happens in iRacing.
Wow, if I didn't already love the RA272 enough, knowing it is the spiritual successor to the Gran Turismo 3 Escudo is just icing on the cake.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

crackhaed posted:

Wow, if I didn't already love the RA272 enough, knowing it is the spiritual successor to the Gran Turismo 3 Escudo is just icing on the cake.

hahah same thought, all we need now is the Seattle track.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I was able to roll the Renault R4 and keep going, which I feel is an accomplishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHf62dpv5a4

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Does anyone have advice for super formula races other than "git gud?" After the GR1 race at Road Atlanta a couple weeks ago I thought I had that track down but my best laps are 3 seconds off and there's no good way to take advantage of the ai pit strategies.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

qirex posted:

Does anyone have advice for super formula races other than "git gud?" After the GR1 race at Road Atlanta a couple weeks ago I thought I had that track down but my best laps are 3 seconds off and there's no good way to take advantage of the ai pit strategies.
Not exactly, but you can git gud by just learning how absolutely horrible the AI is at driving those cars. It'll gently caress you up horribly when you're trying to get through traffic because they brake for braking zones that don't even exist sometimes but it also makes for easy overtaking opportunities when its an area that you can take flat out or just with a lift.

You don't need to fundamentally get better to beat them, you can just learn how to drive that car somewhat properly on that track and probably be a lot lot faster.

edit: realized you're probably driving with the braking markers on, and they're not 100% trustworthy or exact in any car but in the SF cars they are fairly dogshit and part of why I think the AI is so bad with those cars. Those cars have the most downforce in the game and they like commitment, not hesitation. Try braking later and carrying more speed than you think you can through corners.

crackhaed fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 18, 2024

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Toe Rag posted:

I was able to roll the Renault R4 and keep going, which I feel is an accomplishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHf62dpv5a4

hell yeah brother

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

qirex posted:

When trail braking, you don't need to add a lot of steering input for the car to rotate. Brake hard, get the car to point and commit the slower you go the less braking power you need. Like Crackhaed said, this car wants speed.

Also, the Bugatti Gr1 is STUPID fast on this track. There are so many places it can go completely flat out that other cars just can't.

https://youtu.be/ZD3mUgQdPk4?si=hpaP6ef7GXDZVmyR

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 18, 2024

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

crackhaed posted:

Not exactly, but you can git gud by just learning how absolutely horrible the AI is at driving those cars. It'll gently caress you up horribly when you're trying to get through traffic because they brake for braking zones that don't even exist sometimes but it also makes for easy overtaking opportunities when its an area that you can take flat out or just with a lift.

You don't need to fundamentally get better to beat them, you can just learn how to drive that car somewhat properly on that track and probably be a lot lot faster.

edit: realized you're probably driving with the braking markers on, and they're not 100% trustworthy or exact in any car but in the SF cars they are fairly dogshit and part of why I think the AI is so bad with those cars. Those cars have the most downforce in the game and they like commitment, not hesitation. Try braking later and carrying more speed than you think you can through corners.

Don't listen to crackhead he doesn't know how to drive a SF.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Kirios posted:

Don't listen to crackhead he doesn't know how to drive a SF.
I still don't know how you were 2 seconds off my lap time at Suzuka

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Another six star car ticket if you finish the weekly challenges, if you want to cheese the 15 lap race just save fuel like a mofo and do only one pit stop.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qirex posted:

Another six star car ticket if you finish the weekly challenges, if you want to cheese the 15 lap race just save fuel like a mofo and do only one pit stop.

My old friend 787B / R92CP.

If they keep putting them in I am going to have to put a lot more credits in that loving Renault.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

in a well actually posted:

My old friend 787B / R92CP.

If they keep putting them in I am going to have to put a lot more credits in that loving Renault.

I use the newest Toyota gr1 car. Because of the detuning, the battery runs out around halfway through but I still end up lapping the entire field because of the single fuel stop for half a tank.

Pretty sure I ended up getting a VGT I don't give a poo poo about, but those are about the only non legends cars I have left to get at this point.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

And here I am just doing fuel 5 or 6 on a Gr3 car like a sucker. That race is pretty dull overall, since Fraga runs at cheater speed 30+ seconds faster than any other ai car you're just chasing him and the only exciting thing is how poorly the ai cars handle the last few turns at the top of the hill so you will probably get some front end damage to play with for a bit when the other cars brake to like 60 on a turn you can take at 100+.

e: look what's coming in this week's patch!

you'd better be able to swap a really stupid engine into it

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 29, 2024

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

qirex posted:

I really want to rip this thing around lake louise

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I hope someone has come up with a tweed jacket drivers suit, complete with leather elbow patches.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ugh, I made a mistake.

I bought Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 because I had fun with the original and my G27 on PC. Never actually raced, just drove around and used a bunch of mods. I jumped in and the wheel feels awful, but that was fixed with a quick google. Did some hot laps around Laguna Seca, like md that lapping actually gave progress so some rating or whatever. Screwed up a corner and saw the clean lap counter go back to 0/4. Welp not redoing all that again. Hopped into career mode and in the practice I screwed up the first lap, and I figured since it’s timed I’ll just restart. Pit limiter apparently wasn’t on for some reason even though I had it set to auto? Restart. Get a clean lap, screw up, restart, pit limiter somehow turned itself off again, restart, get a couple clean laps, mess up, decide to wait in the pits for the session to end. Session ends and now I have to wait like two and a half minutes extra for reasons? Game gives me the “you suck” set of assists and difficulty, I figure whatever. Next test is the same but in the rain. Was going super slow for some reason, until I realized TC was at max. Went to the controls and found the bind, realized a poo poo load of stuff is blank, figured that’s super weird since I’m on the most common wheel (g923) on a drat console. Did a couple laps, screwed up, went to the garage and thought maybe quit would just end the session automatically. Nope it just, well, quits.

I know 99.9% of my complaining is me having continuous skill issues but it just wasn’t a pleasant experience. I know playing one of these takes time to get better, I just, I don’t know. I did buy it for more simulation-y stuff so I knew what I’d be getting into but I guess I didn’t realize I probably would be sacrificing a lot of fun. And I don’t want to go back to GT7 because I’ve done most of the stuff there. I’m legit just spinning my metaphorical wheels until the Gran Turismo 4 Spec II mod comes out and I can just relax and play that.

Sorry about the whole gaming depression post :(

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ugh, I made a mistake.

I bought Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 because I had fun with the original and my G27 on PC. Never actually raced, just drove around and used a bunch of mods. I jumped in and the wheel feels awful, but that was fixed with a quick google. Did some hot laps around Laguna Seca, like md that lapping actually gave progress so some rating or whatever. Screwed up a corner and saw the clean lap counter go back to 0/4. Welp not redoing all that again. Hopped into career mode and in the practice I screwed up the first lap, and I figured since it’s timed I’ll just restart. Pit limiter apparently wasn’t on for some reason even though I had it set to auto? Restart. Get a clean lap, screw up, restart, pit limiter somehow turned itself off again, restart, get a couple clean laps, mess up, decide to wait in the pits for the session to end. Session ends and now I have to wait like two and a half minutes extra for reasons? Game gives me the “you suck” set of assists and difficulty, I figure whatever. Next test is the same but in the rain. Was going super slow for some reason, until I realized TC was at max. Went to the controls and found the bind, realized a poo poo load of stuff is blank, figured that’s super weird since I’m on the most common wheel (g923) on a drat console. Did a couple laps, screwed up, went to the garage and thought maybe quit would just end the session automatically. Nope it just, well, quits.

I know 99.9% of my complaining is me having continuous skill issues but it just wasn’t a pleasant experience. I know playing one of these takes time to get better, I just, I don’t know. I did buy it for more simulation-y stuff so I knew what I’d be getting into but I guess I didn’t realize I probably would be sacrificing a lot of fun. And I don’t want to go back to GT7 because I’ve done most of the stuff there. I’m legit just spinning my metaphorical wheels until the Gran Turismo 4 Spec II mod comes out and I can just relax and play that.

Our group tried really hard to like ACC, but it's a buggy mess on Ps5 and offers no VR support either.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ugh, I made a mistake.

TBH ACC is really only good for multiplayer which on PS5 means finding a league as there's no LFM (low fuel motorsport) support. I liked it on PS5 but it does have a bunch of bugs around settings and profiles and the AI while fast is super predictable and not very good. I mean it's no worse than the standard GT7 AI which I find awful but still. One thing you can try since you've bought it is to totally ignore the challenges and career – those are ancient and are not fun imo - instead just create custom races with a grid of cars at the lower end of the AI and stay at the back of the pack for a few laps on a track you know well in clear weather. You'll get a better idea of how the game feels and whether it holds any promise for you. Oh, and setups/car choice is really important. For starters use the SAFE preset set-up and pick one of the more forgiving cars (Ferrari 296, M4, Aston Martin are all pretty stable). Don't jump into the 992 on aggressive and try to throw it around the track.

Scarf Ace
Jul 21, 2006

keep it clean

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ugh, I made a mistake.

If you're into rally at all I'd highly recommend the latest WRC or one of the Dirt Rally games, I assume they support most wheels

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks for the tips and stuff guys! I actually do have the newest WRC game, just hadn’t gotten around to playing it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Get a 3-month iRacing trial and you’ll see that no matter how bad you think you are, there’s a lot of people who are much worse with less self awareness.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

njsykora posted:

Get a 3-month iRacing trial and you’ll see that no matter how bad you think you are, there’s a lot of people who are much worse with less self awareness.

I mean this has been my experience in Race B this week in GT7.

And also last week. And every week. Like I can accept being slower than other people, but the lengths people go to to be actively destructive is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

qirex posted:

If you'd like an unpleasant crash course in modern car design, do a few laps in this (in cockpit view, if you don't normally), followed by a few in the v40 they also released this patch. Don't forget to look behind you!

:smithcloud: