Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pick posted:

you light the candle, drift off, and the candle rapes you

this must be why my mom never wanted me to leave candles lit when I went to sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea correct me if I'm wrong but I assume the majority of jobs in the science, like most every one, involve lab work and poo poo, and it's just a small chunk that are actually the dudes constantly outside doing poo poo?

Like, I'd assume most of the work gets done by studying bugs in labs and poo poo instead of just catching them.

entomology, in general, has a very high incidence of field work even compared to other biological sciences

it also depends on the swing of things, some biologies got hosed up the bumbum by old farts being really excited by COMPUTERS

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that is, why go see a giraffe in the wild when you could have a tiny tissue sample and then gently caress around wit it on a COMPUTER!!

wow i am learning so much about giraffes

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Wildlife Analysis posted:

this must be why my mom never wanted me to leave candles lit when I went to sleep

Well what happens when I do that is I notice the next morning that one of my cats has a few less whiskers.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea correct me if I'm wrong but I assume the majority of jobs in the science, like most every one, involve lab work and poo poo, and it's just a small chunk that are actually the dudes constantly outside doing poo poo?

Like, I'd assume most of the work gets done by studying bugs in labs and poo poo instead of just catching them.

it's pretty hard to model many ecological management methods in a lab.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
In geology you get to go outside pretty frequently when you're still a newbie. You get to help set up all the dohickeys you need to use to like sense poo poo in the ground. Unless you work for the oil industry, which is pretty much the only job you'll be able to find outside of academia.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
yeah, if you veer strong ag, welcome to a hell of cage experiments

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pick posted:

I might go anyway since I can double that with asking why I get so much colder than all my coworkers. Not just like "I am personally troubled by how cold it is" and more "my fingers are stiff from cold and don't work, why is no one else having this problem". I only realized it wasn't something everyone else was dealing with yesterday when I was passing off a box to someone else in the lab and they were like jfc is that a human hand

Has a doctor ever mentioned Raynaud's to you? It's something to look into possibly depending on your medical history, but I'm getting uncomfortably close to my personal Internet doctoring line here. What you describe should lead to a few investigations though as it could be a lot of things so I shouldn't really speculate. Some medications in particular cause weird circulation issues as well, so it might be an external thing, but Internet doctoring isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's definitely worth getting checked out properly though.

Pick posted:

that is, why go see a giraffe in the wild when you could have a tiny tissue sample and then gently caress around wit it on a COMPUTER!!

wow i am learning so much about giraffes

I saw a giraffe in the wild and fed it leaves and its tongue was disgusting and I got giraffe slobber on me. I bet computer giraffes don't slobber on you :colbert:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 7, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Enfys posted:

I saw a giraffe in the wild and fed it leaves and its tongue was disgusting and I got giraffe slobber on me. I bet computer giraffes don't slobber on you :colbert:

don't worry, if we continue the way we're going all animals will be computer generated in the future

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The National are going to be on Saturday Night Live this weekend! I haven't watched the show in forever, is it good or terrible these days?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

Has a doctor ever mentioned Reynaud's to you? It's something to look into possibly depending on your medical history, but I'm getting uncomfortably close to my personal Internet doctoring line here. What you describe should lead to a few investigations though as it could be a lot of things so I shouldn't really speculate. Some medications in particular cause weird circulation issues as well, so it might be an external thing, but Internet doctoring isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's definitely worth getting checked out properly though.
I definitely will since I think it's one reason I have such a hard time in Minnesota.

haha the wiki page has one of those heat signature images. weird story but the portland zoo has a "how does a snake see YOU?" display and i didn't show up almost at all, in my mind this is a superpower that makes me immune to reticulated pythons

also i am ariel sharon, a ghost, who haunts avshalom

quote:

I have played with many a giraffe in my time but no wild ones :( you lucky skunk

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Crow Jane posted:

The National are going to be on Saturday Night Live this weekend! I haven't watched the show in forever, is it good or terrible these days?

it's bad, but The National are good

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

it's bad, but The National are good

They're really good, I see them every time they tour. I'm afraid seeing them on TV will make me sad, especially if the show they're on is bad

Lena Dunham is hosting

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Say Lena Dunham in the bathroom mirror 3 times and angry goons appear. It works with 3 Olives, too.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Crow Jane posted:

They're really good, I see them every time they tour. I'm afraid seeing them on TV will make me sad, especially if the show they're on is bad

Lena Dunham is hosting

It should be tolerable. Also I missed them when they came to Red Rocks here, but I'm going to see St. Vincent this month so it all evens out.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It should be tolerable. Also I missed them when they came to Red Rocks here, but I'm going to see St. Vincent this month so it all evens out.

Lucky. I have such a crush on Annie

I'm fulfilling my lifelong dream of seeing Nick Cave this summer, I seriously expect to be catatonic after the show

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crow Jane posted:

The terrible secret of SNL is that it has maintained a consistent level of quality from the very beginning.

You just think it used to be better because you only remember the good sketches.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

boom boom boom posted:

The terrible secret of SNL is that it has maintained a consistent level of quality from the very beginning.

You just think it used to be better because you only remember the good sketches.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
no irony, no backhanded compliment, I really do agree with that

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

boom boom boom posted:

Remember goat boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Love the new av, Sabel. Crazy Eyes owns

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
drat sable that avatar what

My community gardening club meeting went okay

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

candles are notorious sex criminals

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Crow Jane posted:

Love the new av, Sabel. Crazy Eyes owns
Thx. Lip gloss yuri was getting old.

----------------

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Pick posted:

haha the wiki page has one of those heat signature images. weird story but the portland zoo has a "how does a snake see YOU?" display and i didn't show up almost at all, in my mind this is a superpower that makes me immune to reticulated pythons

poo poo, I have Raynaud's and always wondered why reptiles seem to hate me even though I love them. This suddenly makes sense.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Chernobyl Princess posted:

poo poo, I have Raynaud's and always wondered why reptiles seem to hate me even though I love them. This suddenly makes sense.

you were born to hunt snakes

----------------

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I learned a lot about science ITT.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

you were born to hunt snakes

Yesss it's good to have purpose in life

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 4, 2014

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Enfys posted:

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I'm deliberately not going to make a proper LP out of my sims shenanigans because then it'd make me feel obligated to do something and potentially sap out all of the fun

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
how many dogs do i have in whatever town i am in
is it a lot

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Enfys posted:

Sometimes random little games do spring up between coworkers just because you are all slowly going insane and doing pretty much anything possible to make life bearable.

"Guess the BAL."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

amarantinesky posted:

WOW that's a disgusting tongue.

I dunno...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

i own webcomrmiks

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
You can't mock anyone for reading superhero comics

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

You can't mock anyone for reading superhero comics

feel free to tell me why any of those are bad and i will happily ignore your opinion :D

• Locked thread