Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are you loving kidding me: http://faeit212communitynews.blogspot.ca/2015/05/tau-pinup-girl-showcase.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

US to everywhere is hosed, because the US congress is trying to bankrupt the US Postal Service so that they can sell it to the already higher priced courier companies and let them charge even more for less service, unimpeded, because free market libertarian bullshit

China to Europe is similarly overpriced to be fair. EU VAT and import taxes for non-EU countries are bullshit.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

parabolic posted:

Appears to be very similar bottles to P3 paints, at least.

Those are very generic pots and can't be used to identify manufacturer.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, that's totally not wysiwyg for Shadowsun.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Has anyone discussed the appropriateness of female minis in wargaming lately? I'd like to know just specifically what debauchery level meets, or exceeds, allowable socials norms.

The new AdMech stuff is pretty awesome though occasionally too bitsy. I like the stuff but it's a pretty pricey army per point.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 22, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

That derail is the purview of the other thread.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Doctor Borris posted:

Has anyone discussed the appropriateness of female minis in wargaming lately? I'd like to know just specifically what debauchery level meets, or exceeds, allowable socials norms.

See the GW Death Thread, pretty sure this has come up several times. Rest assured the appropriateness of female minis in wargaming is generally not good.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Pash posted:

See the GW Death Thread, pretty sure this has come up several times. Rest assured the appropriateness of female minis in wargaming is generally not good.

I am pretty sure if the appropriateness level was not good then many more minis would meet that requirements.

That shadowsun mini would look rad around the back of my marine command on bike. Maybe with some trashy tau trailerpark tattoos.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 22, 2015

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

"It's the most Tau flesh I have painted, so I was excited for the challenge."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

I had one guy trying to get me to paint that a couple weeks ago.

I told him that no matter the price, he's not paying me enough to touch that poo poo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Terrible Opinions posted:

China to Europe is similarly overpriced to be fair. EU VAT and import taxes for non-EU countries are bullshit.

China to me is free :v:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That a very ugly model. I'd give one of those to someone as a gag gift, but $20+ is not worth it.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

SpikeMcclane posted:

That a very ugly model. I'd give one of those to someone as a gag gift, but $20+ is not worth it.

I would buy it. Did you notice she is a pretty tau with the armor worn sexily? Also I would like to point out she is hold the pulse rifle in a way that is not conducive to firing, but instead it is almost suggestive but not too blatant. A really interesting detail of the model, and one I think a lot of people miss, is she is holding her weapon in a way to leave the observer wondering if she is wearing anything behind it or if perhaps she is naked. Anyway I hope this has cleared up some confusion. I don't think the paint job is good, it doesn't really catch her seductive curves correctly in my opinion.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dudes with Tempest- how's it look? Any cool new units? Army rules?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Slimnoid posted:

God dammit.

Edit: Also, Purgation Squads. They worth their points?

Not even a little. Luckily you can run them as Purifiers (4 weapons and all) and those are fabulous.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Had someone unironically post this as a good thing in a local gaming group on facebook that I'm a part of.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

it's not Malifeaux, so it's ok :commissar:

And I know 'Aceface' IRL, from the Youtube video :emo:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ted Theodore Logan posted:

I have a few questions about formations and how they work when building an army. I have the new eldar codex and it is the first 7th ed codex I have bothered to get (have not really played a game of 40k in about 2 years). From reading the codex chart it says that to play the aspect host or seer council I must have at least picked one of the guardian hosts first. Now if I have picked the windrider host and the seer council does that mean I combine the two together so I just add another farseer to it and the original farseer and warlocks from the windrider host become the seer council or would I end up with 3 farseers and 2 warlock conclaves? Is there any way to make a list so I do not have to play a 500 point tax to just get some other special rules? I love playing with aspect warriors but I hate vypers and each guardian hosts need at least 1.

Not quite.

Formations are things that can stand independently on their own without needing any other requirement, so you could potentially take just the Seer Council if you wanted- you don't need any other Eldar or even other models of any kind, theoretically. However, what you're talking about is slightly different- the Craftworld Warhost is a special "formation of formations" that has certain additional requirements (and additional benefits) for the units within it. If you wanted to take a Warhost, you need to take one Core choice (i.e. either the Guardians or Windriders indicated on the leftmost side of that page), which then unlocks other options that you can also take.

If you do take, say, a Windrider Host and a Seer Council, the Seer Council will function as its own unit that cannot break apart (as per its own rules.) All of the units within the Windrider Host, however, will act just like they normally would- so you would have a second Warlock Conclave unit that is separate from the one you get in the Seer Council as well as another Farseer that is allowed to join or leave units as he pleases.

Also note that you don't have to take the Craftworld Warhost if you don't want to- you can still use the "old" Force Organization Chart as presented in the rulebook and add in a Seer Council as well if you want to. The "special" detachments presented in codices aren't required to play a faction- they're just an alternate way of doing things.

Slimnoid posted:

God dammit.

Edit: Also, Purgation Squads. They worth their points?

They're not great, but they're not awful. Inside a transport they do alright, and if you ally your GK with someone else that can get Drop Pods for them to ride in (i.e. BA/SW right now) they can be fairly dangerous with all of those Incinerators.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

raverrn posted:

Not even a little. Luckily you can run them as Purifiers (4 weapons and all) and those are fabulous.

How do you figure? They can only take 2 special weapons per 5-man squad, and to get 4 I'd have to bump them up to 10.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Right, lovely battlereport:

I had an Ork tide - 3 mobs of 30, one with a warboss and painboy. All sluggas. Then two units of Lootas, 2 of mek guns and a unit of tnak bustas. - I found out that Lootas are now heavy support so went unbound. I like unbound.

The first time my army has been entirely painted and based I believe. Good times.

Eldar:
two seer councils (one with Eldrad), a windrider council with jetbike farseer and 3 units of bikes with 5 scatter lasers.

Eldar had gone all in on psychic shenanigans. He then proceeded to roll 1 fortune power between all 5 farseers/warlocks. He did, however, get two Eldritch Storms.

I then proceeded to roll a 6 to seize.

Warlocks and Farseers without fortune are squishy.

Orks 1
I charged forwards with the Boyz. Between the Lootas and lucky rolls with the small blasts from the Kannon I took out 6 walocks, the jet-bike warlocks and leave 2 more farseers with one wound. I kinda thought that was the game.
2VPs for holding Objective 5 and for holding objective 1.

Eldar 1
For some reason he moved forwards with both the seer councils. The guy still had 25 dice for psychic powers after the losses turn 1. He proceeded to cast 2 Eldritch storms at apocalypse blast size. Fortunately it was on my Boyz squad with a painboy. Still killed half of them! My Boyz squad in the middle saw 50% of their number dead between the Eldritch Storm, the bikes and the Viper. 30 Boyz dead

end of turn 1

Orks 2
My Boyz ran forward again. My lootas kill 4 jetbikes including 3 Scatter lasers and my Kannons whiff on killing Eldrad. They put one wound on the psychic dick. I call a Waagh but after low dice for my runs I require two sets of 6 to get into assault with Eldrad's unit. My Boyz on the left flank manage to get into assault with the seer council hugging the long board edge. A few Boyz die in exchange for wiping out the 2 farseers and warlocks there.
2 VPs for Assassinate and Ascendancy

Eldar2
My opponent realises he made a mistake leaving one council in assault range. He has lost power dice! Everything retreats and Eldrad proceeds to cast Eldritch storm on perils, fucker kills 10, my Painboy and drops my Warboss to one wound. Between the remaining shooting and another Eldritch storm he kills another 10 Boyz from other squads. My Warboss' squad fail leadership on a 10 and run away.
He scores 2 VP for Assassinate and holding objective 2

end of turn 2

Orks 3
I fail to rally the Warboss and he continues to make haste towards my board edge. I shoot the lootas and kannons at Eldrad. The guy steps up and makes 17 saves. - Fortune is a bitch. My tankbustas have moved forward to try to destroy the Viper. They glance but fail to blow it up.
1 VP for hold the line

Eldrad, furthest forward and zero fucks given.

Eldar 3
The Jetbikes move back out of range from the Kannon and Lootas. Eldrad, fresh from dodging bullets like Neo blows up the Tankbustas with an Eldritch Storm killing all 12. The rest are polished off by the Viper and remaining scatter laser Jetbikes. The middle Boyz squad eats a large blast template Eldritch Storm from the Jet Seer and is dropped to the Nob on one wound.
1 VP for wiping out a unit in the shooting phase.

Orks 4
I rally the Warboss and run away with what's left of my Boyz. Its getting closer on VP so I need to deny the Eldar the Warlord kill! I move the unit to capture Obj. 5 but put my Warboss at the back. I shoot all my Kannons and a squad of Lootas at Eldrad again. He continues to tank like a boss and takes 1 wound so is now down to 1. The remaining lootas blow up the Viper.
1VP for hold objective 5

Eldar 4
Seeking to stay alive the remaining council run around the building to hide themselves from most of my gunz and to get line of sight to my Warboss' unit. Jetbikes move up the flank, hiding behind the building and seeking to ready themselves for a linebreaker dash. The decisive moment comes when I nullify the Fortune cast by rolling 3 sixes! The Eldritch Storm from Eldrad kills all but two Boyz and the Boss from my Warboss' unit - I pass the leadership test. poo poo is tense.

End of turn 4

Orks 5
I move forward with Lootas and Kannon to get snapshots at the Eldar hiding around the building. Without fortune I manage to kill Eldrad, theJetseer and a Warlock. - The game is called here.
4 VP for slay the Warlord, assassinate, overwhelming firepower & supremacy

Final score Orks 10VP
Eldar 3 VP

A bloody game. The guy went all in on psychic powers and hosed himself by only getting 1 fortune. In spite of all the damage I did when I seized, the game went to turn 5. If I had not denied fortune I doubt my snapshots would have been enough and my opponent had a good chance of getting 4VPs. If my opponent had not left a seer council in charge range he also would have had enough dice to reliably have thrown down two apocalypse sized templates a turn.

Eldrad both tanked my army's shooting and killed 15 Boyz a turn with Eldritch Storm. gently caress that guy and gently caress Eldritch Storm.

My Boyz' job was to be a meatshield for my shooting. They delivered.

Edit:

Cowardly hiding Eldar

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 23, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah ok, I'm definitely starting Orks next.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Man I've loving had it with Forgeworld. I've let this primarch soak overnight, and I've hand scrubbed it with a toothbrush multiple times and paint still won't take. I wouldn't be as upset, but this is the same problem I had with the Warhound and the Decimator. How do these rotten fucks get away with charging this much money for such a poo poo product?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man I've loving had it with Forgeworld. I've let this primarch soak overnight, and I've hand scrubbed it with a toothbrush multiple times and paint still won't take. I wouldn't be as upset, but this is the same problem I had with the Warhound and the Decimator. How do these rotten fucks get away with charging this much money for such a poo poo product?

huh?

Are you priming it with actual primer?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

OhDearGodNo posted:

huh?

Are you priming it with actual primer?

Yes I'm priming it with actual, Games Workshop black primer. The way I know there's a problem is when I go to paint over the primer and a light tap of the paintbrush is enough to cause the primer to slide off the model.

Here, let me run through the process on this goddamn model with you:

- Let model soak in soapy water overnight
- Scrub model with toothbrush + soapy water
- Let model dry
- Repeat process
- Prime model
- Watch paint slide off
- Snap paintbrush in half
- Throw $100 primarch in garbage
- Seethe with rage
- Post on internet
- Have someone ask you if you bothered to prime it

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 23, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's another reason I never buy direct. Some models have so much release agent they look like they have a gloss coat.

You might need to soak the son of a bitch in degreaser, but the actual issue is that the resin has absorbed so much release agent that it sweats it. You might try warming up some water in a pot and throwing your primarch into it for a good long while. This will likely deform the gently caress out of your model though, so I'd probably just write Forgeworld an email saying that you're upset and this is unacceptable.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

It's another reason I never buy direct. Some models have so much release agent they look like they have a gloss coat.

You might need to soak the son of a bitch in degreaser, but the actual issue is that the resin has absorbed so much release agent that it sweats it. You might try warming up some water in a pot and throwing your primarch into it for a good long while. This will likely deform the gently caress out of your model though, so I'd probably just write Forgeworld an email saying that you're upset and this is unacceptable.

At this point I don't even want a replacement. Like, this poo poo sucks so bad I just don't feel like painting anything now. Too much work and too much money for this horse poo poo.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm a bit late on the Dreamforge chat but I ordered a pair of 1/100 scale Leviathan Crusaders with multiple weapon arms (each one has the rotary cannon and sword plus a HEL Cannon and a Nova Cannon) and these kits are, as the kids say, sick as gently caress. Very poseable, good amount of detailing (I can put the armor plates on or leave them off and I'm thinking of doing that with some pieces as I'm using these as Dreadknights) and the weapons look badass. I'm really happy with these and already looking at buying the other weapon options.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I still don't understand why the adeptus mechanicus players have to buy two codexes. I just looked up 'cult mechanicus' and 'skitarii' on google image search and i'm pretty sure this is the same drat army right here.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes I'm priming it with actual, Games Workshop black primer. The way I know there's a problem is when I go to paint over the primer and a light tap of the paintbrush is enough to cause the primer to slide off the model.

Here, let me run through the process on this goddamn model with you:

- Let model dry
- Repeat process
- Prime model
- Watch paint slide off
- Snap paintbrush in half
- Throw $100 primarch in garbage
- Seethe with rage
- Post on internet
- Have someone ask you if you bothered to prime it

I second the suggestion for degreaser.

Also gently caress GW primer. Get rustoleum like the rest of us pleabs.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

so I have some killa kans. how bad are killa kans?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

I still don't understand why the adeptus mechanicus players have to buy two codexes. I just looked up 'cult mechanicus' and 'skitarii' on google image search and i'm pretty sure this is the same drat army right here.

Each book is like half the army. So imagine you had one codex for Grots, Killa Kans, Big Gunz, and Weirdboyz, and one codex for everything else. It's loving strange. There's a persistent rumor that they'll get a third book that lets you take both, but I think it's more wishful thinking than anything else. It'd still be useful if you wanted to take pure Skitarii or Cult forces to get the separate smaller books, like the Miltarum Tempestus codex that's separate from the main IG codex, but it's still frustrating.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Omar al-Bishie posted:

They are useable but really awful for the points. Kans suffer from being the jack of all trades and master of none.

Consider that a unit of 6 with Rokkits costs 300pts. For that you could have 12 Buggies with TL-Rokkits or, more relevantly, 15 Kannon with 10 Ammo-runts! The Kannon will be just as tough, will have more firepower with the re-rolls and also have the small blast template to deal with grouped models. Mek Guns are incredible and Kans can't compete with their firepower. If you want assault you are also better off with using other units.

Kans pay a stupid premium for the off-chance that they will be able to assault anything. GW has a weird point scheme for walkers.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 23, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Guys. I need help with my life. At midnight at my local games club, I had finished painting the beforementioned Kataphron, and was about halfway through my Kastelan, and I said I would go home with I had finished with my Kastelan. It.... it escalated abit... :smith:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
My friend has a nicely converted kan horde. They're just so loving bad. Seeing as tons of units now carry Krak grenades and probably have a better initiative than 2, even if they get into combat with 2HP there's a recent chance they won't even swing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Not good. The best you can do with them are the grotzooka / scrap launcher / whatever the template thingies are called. Maybe massed big shootas as well? Just don't mix and match weapons on them or they will hella underperform for shooting.

Loosing the S10 in close combat kind of killed their utility as anti-vehicle. Rokkits are HORRIBLE on them, it is just other units (buggies / koptas) run rokkits better and generally cheaper.

Yup, running them up front as a shield with scrap launchers and threaten 2+ armor units / light vehicles in melee is about the best you can do with them I imagine. They are usable, just don't expect them to last the entire game.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Anyone got any links to good Kastelan robot conversions?

Datasmith needs no changes, but I'm interested to see what people have done with the robots, though paint the whole head black and gloss it looks ok.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Let model dry
- Repeat process
- Prime model

Between scrub and let it dry there's a "rinse off the soapy residue", right? :ohdear:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Servicable, as long as you take nothing but grotzookas. Use them to blow the crap out of infantry, and be a menace to armored infantry in melee, but don't expect anything piloted by a gretchin to be spectacular. Their main boon is that your opponent will probably need to divert some anti-armor firepower to deal with them, so they'll be more valuable if there's a few other vehicles in your army. Also keep in mind that you can take them in units of 1, which is a good size to use as an opportunistic nuisance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ijyt posted:

Between scrub and let it dry there's a "rinse off the soapy residue", right? :ohdear:

Might be the problem!

I've had some greasy as hell resin models before and I just rinsed the gently caress out of them in a bowl in the sink for like 5-10 minutes and the paint stuck just fine.

• Locked thread