Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Falken posted:

On the last page there is a video of it with the engine running. It is something to be heard.

As someone who built a peripheral port 13B, I can confirm that the microphone is clipping hard a bunch. It's almost impossible to record these things in their full glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

One David Sutton posted:

“I’m painful about detail,” he says. “I mean, when I buy a car, I literally take it apart and put it back together again, so that everything is right. Even on this car, someone put the wrong cable ties in it, so I went back and researched what the right cable ties were. I bought them from the US and put them on so they matched the original cable ties that Mazda Europe used in the day.”

This is what I call an automotive enthusiast

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

...aaaand there's the paint scheme for my '79 RX-7 when I re paint it. Wouldn't mind those wide but not too wide fenders, either.

Edit: just noticed that it has Michelin TRX metric tires, too. Wow.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 2, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

thechalkoutline posted:

This is what I call an automotive enthusiast

That's what I call a problem.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Never cared about RX-7s till just now :stonk: So purdy!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's sad how much dust is on the dash buttons and switches.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

um excuse me posted:

It's sad how much dust is on the dash buttons and switches.

:agreed:

Cars are for driving

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
V8 VW Rabbit built buy a guy and his pal who'd never done poo poo like this before. Inspiring stuff!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Terrible Robot posted:

:agreed:

Cars are for driving
In fairness, driving a rally car "properly" can should get dust everywhere.

VW Golf posted:

the 3.5-litre Rover V8
Ohhhh poo poo son...

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 2, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Ohhhh poo poo son...

Yeah, all that work and they went for a limp-dick rover motor :chloe:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Raluek posted:

Yeah, all that work and they went for a limp-dick rover buick motor :chloe:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I will never forgive the auto industry for failing to give us cars that you get into like an x-wing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Yeah, all that work and they went for a limp-dick rover motor :chloe:
About the only good thing about them is they're cheap and common, and don't weigh too much.

I've always felt their popularity is a serious emperor's new clothes situation.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's because of cost and availability over here yeah.
My crate LS setup was getting on for £10k and used stuff you know nothing about is still about half that.
Rover V8s from scrappies go for a song.
It's a shame cause if I could get LS gear here for pennies I'd chuck one in the back of my R27.

Anyway. Summer feeling good so far. Doing North Coast 500 in a couple of weeks. Cannot wait!

Yay

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 3, 2017

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Bape Culture posted:

My crate LS setup was getting on for £10k and used stuff you know nothing about is still about half that.
It's a shame cause if I could get LS gear here for pennies I'd chuck one in the back of my R27.

Anyway. Summer feeling good so far. Doing North Coast 500 in a couple of weeks. Cannot wait!

Yay

That's a familiar photo ;)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

Yay

Why the gently caress do I live in the US, more specifically, Arizona?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There's no reason for anyone to live in Arizona, minus a couple of nice pockets.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have three good tracks in a 3.5hr radius and CoL is cheap with a decent tech sector. Other than that, I think I could move somewhere with four seasons and not want to kill myself. Actually, I want to live somewhere overgrown and smaller, but with access to tracks.

On a side note, the Alfa Giulia is soooooo loving nice looking, too bad it would probably be a dumpster fire to own.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BlackMK4 posted:

You don't have to shovel snow here. Or.. be cold really at all.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

Scorpions

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Northern plateau region of Arizona get proper cold in the winter.

The elevation drop along I-40 as you approach California can pretty neat, 32 degrees at the top and north of 70 by the time you bottom out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Locator posted:

Every day looks the same so time slips

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

Northern plateau region of Arizona get proper cold in the winter.

The elevation drop along I-40 as you approach California can pretty neat, 32 degrees at the top and north of 70 by the time you bottom out.

[ask] me about getting up in the morning at 9000 feet in the sierra nevada where it's near-freezing and rainy and riding two hours down the mountain to the central valley where it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Have an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV at the moment. It's every bit as good as you've heard. Plenty of annoying foibles but you just don't care because it's so much better than the sum of its parts. I'd pick one over an M3 or C63 AMG every time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BlackMK4 posted:

SBCs being cheap as gently caress?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bape Culture posted:

I'd agree, but V8s from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus etc are also not uncommon scrapyard fodder, and pretty much all of them are better.

If I wanted to put a :britain: V8 in something, I'd probably use a Rolls Royce/Bentley 6-3/4.

I can sort of get Rover V8s in stuff that's "meant" to have them, or if it really is a cheap project.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also whem poo poo goes south you could probably find parts for it for pennies.
Unlike an sbc.

Honestly tho swaps are more dependent on where you are than what you want.
For example the dream spot for any toyota landcruiser v8 swap is the middle east. I wanna get my hands on a 3UR, put it in a e92 3 series then boost it to high gently caress.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 3, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I was born here, scorpions don't really bother me at all.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I was on a podcast with Mr Regular today here at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle. I confess to being star struck enough that I sounded like more of an idiot than normal. I gave him a beer and he gave me a hug. It's been a good day.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Which podcast?

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 3, 2017

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

He did 5 from Carlisle, not sure when they'll be up.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'd like to drive my polo over this, where in the UK is it?

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Have an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV at the moment. It's every bit as good as you've heard. Plenty of annoying foibles but you just don't care because it's so much better than the sum of its parts. I'd pick one over an M3 or C63 AMG every time.

Have you tried refilling wiper fluid yet?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

I'd like to drive my polo over this, where in the UK is it?
The NC500 is a route around the coast of Scotland.

Because I'm a totally sad bastard, I can also tell you that that specific picture is the Kylesku bridge at Loch Cairnbawn.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

helstein posted:

Is it a bumper-off job? :D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Locator posted:

I was born here, scorpions don't really bother me at all.

If I didn't have to see the sting, I'd take a scorpion over a bee any day.

helstein posted:

Oh, I have to hear this.:lol:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh, I have to hear this.:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a-sRR6ULOY

That's.... certainly a thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bape Culture posted:

An LS3 E-rod crate is more than $8k here, so that's actually pretty competitive.

InitialDave posted:

I'd agree, but V8s from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus etc are also not uncommon scrapyard fodder, and pretty much all of them are better.

If I wanted to put a :britain: V8 in something, I'd probably use a Rolls Royce/Bentley 6-3/4.

I can sort of get Rover V8s in stuff that's "meant" to have them, or if it really is a cheap project.

Agreed, even a Windsor SBF would make more power and be cheaper for aftermarket stuff. Ford is big over there, innit?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also whem poo poo goes south you could probably find parts for it for pennies.
Unlike an sbc.

You'll definitely need those spares, too, if CSB's Rover V8 experience has taught me anything. Those motors just don't put out above-stock power for any amount of time. Domestic stuff can at least hold a steady 350HP without a whole lot of sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure how they are better though. DHOC V8s are so huge it's hard to fit them in much. A junkyard 5.3 is so loving cheap and with a junkyard turbo is talking pretty big numbers. (Also an aluminum sbc is so unreal light).