Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Where was that [Nova Prime icon whatever] even mentioned? I know an announcement came up a bit earlier in the thread, but where did TeslaCoil actually make the announcement?

But yeah, big whoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Anyone with an Axon 7 Mini?

Pulling at straws a bit before pulling the trigger on a Pixel. I want a smaller phone and the 5X sounds like it is in its death throws :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Where was that [Nova Prime icon whatever] even mentioned? I know an announcement came up a bit earlier in the thread, but where did TeslaCoil actually make the announcement?

But yeah, big whoop.

https://plus.google.com/+CliffWade/posts/Wbrvhsf5X97?sfc=true

and the Reddit thread full of disappointment

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

monster on a stick posted:

Anyone with an Axon 7 Mini?

Pulling at straws a bit before pulling the trigger on a Pixel. I want a smaller phone and the 5X sounds like it is in its death throws :(

How small are we talking here? The Xperia X Compact is smaller and has a newer processor than the mini, and it's getting Android 7.0 soon (or already has it, if you live in certain countries). The only thing you'd be giving up would be an OLED screen. And you'd be stuck with 32GB of storage.

It looks like the Pixel is pretty narrow so it's great for one handing or smaller hands though!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How small are we talking here? The Xperia X Compact is smaller and has a newer processor than the mini, and it's getting Android 7.0 soon (or already has it, if you live in certain countries). The only thing you'd be giving up would be an OLED screen. And you'd be stuck with 32GB of storage.

It looks like the Pixel is pretty narrow so it's great for one handing or smaller hands though!

Small enough to fit comfortably in my pocketses and one-hand use. I was looking at the X Compact which seems like a nice phone, and 32GB of storage is actually fine for what I use it for. If it wasn't $100 more than the regular X :sigh:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

vyst posted:

Does anyone have a Pixel and wish they had gotten an XL or vice versa? Trying to decide between the Pixel and XL. I haven't had one of those larger screen phones so I'm curious how people that have it enjoy it for daily usage. The specs of the XL are alluring but I'm so used to the smaller screens.

*I know i'm being a baby

I prefer smaller phones and think the Pixel is great. I don't know which specs you're referring to, they're identical short of the screen and battery. You might get an extra 40-60 minutes of life in the real world during heavy usage according to some tests with the XL. 1080p resolution is prefectly great on a 5" phone. The pixel density on the XL is slightly higher, I'm not sure I would be able to see the difference.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Lker posted:

Best Buy just got the same $10/month for 24 month deal on Pixel today. I got to keep my Verizon plan (my unlimited) and walked out with one.

You have to trade in a phone though, right? I live my S7 Edge and I just got it a few months ago but dang I want a Pixel.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

vulturesrow posted:

You have to trade in a phone though, right? I live my S7 Edge and I just got it a few months ago but dang I want a Pixel.

At Verizon, it doesn't take a trade in. I'd assume best buy is the same, but can't find that deal on their website.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Upgraded from a Galaxy S4 this weekend to a Galaxy S7.

Wow this camera is freaking insane. Had no idea smart phone cameras got so good.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Is the Pixel's front-facing camera any good? I've never seen an Android camera with a good front-facing camera, they all look like mid-2000s webcams.

The only thing that might be better than any other phone for Front Facing is the HTC 10. It I believe is the only phone with Hardware Optical Image Stabilization and it can take some stupid good Selfie shots and video even when you're doing something like riding a bike. (which one tester for the device I know did while he was in China lol, couldn't tell he wasn't using a gimbal or something.)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

arisu posted:

Upgraded from a Galaxy S4 this weekend to a Galaxy S7.

Wow this camera is freaking insane. Had no idea smart phone cameras got so good.

Just wait until you return the S7 for a Pixel.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I doubt I'm gonna upgrade anytime soon, I would probably still be rocking my S4 if the power button didn't fritz out on me.

Aside from the new camera, to me nearly everything else is "it is a smart phone". It does phone calls, messages, email, internet, and uses the same apps I've been using for 7 years now. Plus I like micro SD storage.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Get a load of this guy with his reasonable expectations and needs

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Hey man, having a volume button that can withstand 20 tons of force without budging is just on some people's "must have" lists

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does it matter what kind of USB A-to-C cable I use to charger my Nexus 5X?

I forgot both my charger and my micro-USB adapter at home and I'm not going back there for two weeks. Phone's gonna die in a couple of hours. Obviously, I need to get something to charge it in the mean time and it looks like I can only buy either an expensive Apple charger or a cheap Insignia cable from Best Buy. I'm assuming I won't be pushing enough amps for the cable to matter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It matters, a lot.

I think a lot of the insignia cables fell into the "use and you might cause damage to your device" category. Though, I think a lot of the ones they tested simply failed to work out of the box.

The Belkin cables at the Apple store are about as top tier as you can get and really aren't sold anywhere else for cheaper.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think Monoprice cables are confirmed to be non damaging ones

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I need it tonight and don't have an Apple store to drive to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, but if they have to be bought locally, that's pretty much the only choice.

Could actually go to a Verizon store and just buy a C charger. The ones that are Verizon branded are confirmed good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

poo poo. I figured that the charger just wouldn't put out enough amps to matter, but guess that's wrong. Really don't have the money to be blowing on chargers right now. Stupid Uthor's forgetful brain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The phone is what sets the current rate. Without the 56k ohm resister, it thinks it's connected to a c spec charger and may try to draw more current than the charger will deliver. A good charger will just say "lol no" and output at its normal 1-2 amp output. A not so great charger may actually try to deliver 3A and fail, sometimes spectacularly, possibly burning up the charger or sending out of spec power to the phone, damaging it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mad dash to Verizon and I got there with like two minutes to spare. Thanks, thread!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
It won't help you now, but Choetech and some others on eBay make safe Micro-B->C keyring adapters. Put one on your house keys.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

bull3964 posted:

The phone is what sets the current rate. Without the 56k ohm resister, it thinks it's connected to a c spec charger and may try to draw more current than the charger will deliver. A good charger will just say "lol no" and output at its normal 1-2 amp output. A not so great charger may actually try to deliver 3A and fail, sometimes spectacularly, possibly burning up the charger or sending out of spec power to the phone, damaging it.

Is the resistor in the cable or the charger? Or to put it another way, can I use the A to C cable that came with the Pixel with a not so great charger and be Ok?

From reading that chart made by those guys on Google plus, it seems that the only good chargers are from Google, Apple, or maybe Belkin. And the links on the spreadsheet seem to just show cables, not chargers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The resistor is in the cable. The A to C cable that comes with the pixel is one of the best out there and should be safe to use with A chargers (assuming they aren't utter crap with any device.)

Chargers are on another tab in the sheet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

crack mayor posted:

Is the resistor in the cable or the charger? Or to put it another way, can I use the A to C cable that came with the Pixel with a not so great charger and be Ok?

From reading that chart made by those guys on Google plus, it seems that the only good chargers are from Google, Apple, or maybe Belkin. And the links on the spreadsheet seem to just show cables, not chargers.

I'd love to get ahold of the specifications they use. I'm sure there are more cables out there that are acceptable, you just have to make sure they meet or exceed the Google specifications.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. Had no idea there was another tab haha.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They are pretty open about their testing methodology, so one could replicate it.

Unfortunately, you can't rely on spec sheets for the cables and chargers. Even known good manufacturers got things wrong on occasion (Anker had to recall cables.)

The closest thing you can get is getting cables that are USB-IF certified. Those SHOULD be fine unless someone dodgy did the certification.

What I did to endure this whole transition period is to buy a few good A-C cables and put one in the glove box of both cars, one in my work computer bag, and one with my portable batteries. That way, I should always have a cable I can use to charge with common chargers close at hand.

I also picked up two C to microUSB cables so that I had something to take with me when traveling to charge portable battery packs without having to bring an A charger with me.

I found this to be a great travel charger for a few reasons.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/verizon-usb-type-c-wall-charger-with-fast-charge-technology/

It gets high marks from the testing guys even though it does include proprietary QC 3.0. The prongs fold. It's also a 24W adapter so it does USB-PD at 12V/2A. That means it can charge something like the Pixel C at full speed. It's basically a catch all adapter. When you pair it to the C->microUSB cable, it can even charge QC compatible microUSB devices at full speed.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 20, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

It won't help you now, but Choetech and some others on eBay make safe Micro-B->C keyring adapters. Put one on your house keys.

I bought two Anker micro-USB to USB-C adapters, one to leave at home and one to keep in my bag. When I looked in my bag, it wasn't there. Last I used it was in the car with my old car charger, so I looked in there and it wasn't there. I then remembered that I took it out of the car to put back in my bag, but just left it on my coffee table. So, I left two adapters and my regular charger all at home. Dumbass.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Is the pixel ever coming to At&t? My S6 Edge has been upgradable for like 5 months now and the battery is getting worse by the day it seems. I'd buy one from Google and pop in my sim, but my phones are free through work, so I'd rather just get it from At&t directly and not try to put in a expense report for it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

thebushcommander posted:

Is the pixel ever coming to At&t? My S6 Edge has been upgradable for like 5 months now and the battery is getting worse by the day it seems. I'd buy one from Google and pop in my sim, but my phones are free through work, so I'd rather just get it from At&t directly and not try to put in a expense report for it.

No

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Well that sucks. Guess I gotta drop some coin on the play-store then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

"Upgrade" to the most expensive Att phone, and sell it. There, you have your Pixel money.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

bull3964 posted:

"Upgrade" to the most expensive Att phone, and sell it. There, you have your Pixel money.

Well my company plan is one of those At&t next 18 plans or whatever, but I see your point. I actually outright own both of the S6 Edge phones on my account right now. So technically I could just sell those anyway. Either way I bit the bullet and bought 2 new shiny Pixels that should be arriving tomorrow through the playstore. If the wife doesn't like it I'll be selling one here (unless they will take it back and give me a refund..)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

thebushcommander posted:

2 new shiny Pixels that should be arriving tomorrow through the playstore

Wizardry? I thought Google's inventory was backlogged to hell.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

thebushcommander posted:

Well my company plan is one of those At&t next 18 plans or whatever, but I see your point. I actually outright own both of the S6 Edge phones on my account right now. So technically I could just sell those anyway. Either way I bit the bullet and bought 2 new shiny Pixels that should be arriving tomorrow through the playstore. If the wife doesn't like it I'll be selling one here (unless they will take it back and give me a refund..)

The only way she won't like a 5" Pixel is if she doesn't like nice things.

Everyone that gets their hand on a Pixel around here so far almost instantly notices how it is near precognitivly fast and how good the camera is.

nimper posted:

My guess that is only the XL's.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

My guess that is only the XL's.

The XLs are showing out of stock, so yeah.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

nimper posted:

Uhm, I don't know it told me in an email it would be here tomorrow, didn't say out of stock on the play store either... the XL 128 and Pixel 64GB are out of stock I think..

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

thebushcommander posted:

Uhm, I don't know it told me in an email it would be here tomorrow, didn't say out of stock on the play store either... the XL 128 and Pixel 64GB are out of stock I think..

They don't make a 64G Pixel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID