Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We played with Children of Bodom once and as Alexi was walking off stage I held out my hand and said "hey great show" and he literally shoulder checked me like a bully in an 80s movie without saying a word.

That's my CoB story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

CoB hasn't written a good song in well over 10 years.

I like Vehemence a lot. Can I get suggestions for more good melodeath like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYNxqg8Nus

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Varg posted:

CoB hasn't written a good song in well over 10 years.

I like Vehemence a lot. Can I get suggestions for more good melodeath like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYNxqg8Nus

To me that sounds a lot like Dimension Zero (side project of the guitarists from noted Linkin Park tribute band In Flames).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gnumonic posted:

To me that sounds a lot like Dimension Zero (side project of the guitarists from noted Linkin Park tribute band In Flames).

A little I guess, but dimension zero is pretty fun anyways and worth checking out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd4SJQuvr8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NMEF-oN_uo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1gsmeDB5o

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Henchman of Santa posted:

The hideous hybrid of Neurosis’ two lead singers

new amenra is good tho

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

COOL CORN posted:

We played with Children of Bodom once and as Alexi was walking off stage I held out my hand and said "hey great show" and he literally shoulder checked me like a bully in an 80s movie without saying a word.

That's my CoB story.

:lol: what a oval office. It seems appropriately Alexi though.

symbolic posted:

Them's fighting words.

I will die for my beautiful Finnish boyfriend

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

COOL CORN posted:

That's my CoB story.
I literally banged on the door of his bus and he came and hung out for awhile and signed my guitar, but that was over a decade ago

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Slipknot is at their best right now & Corey Taylor is still doing the most in metal. I am now waiting for the inevitable slide into bad behavior, compilation albums, major lineup changes, etc

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
?!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A3th3r posted:

Slipknot is at their best right now & Corey Taylor is still doing the most in metal. I am now waiting for the inevitable slide into bad behavior, compilation albums, major lineup changes, etc

Thank you.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

I don't know about best, but this one makes me laugh every time I see it:

Every Powerwolf album is like that.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Who knew it stood for literally “powerful wolf” and in some cases the power the wolf has is social/religious

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Vargatron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwGIy9sI2ls

Thanks YouTube I was looking for 80s Thrash metal worship.

Edit: Also I did not realize the ubiquity of "thrash" puns in album titles.

Damnit this is good but is not on their bandcamp.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Albums of the year for me:

Death metal:
Entrails - World Inferno is Swedish death metal at its best. It's got that ragged, bloody aggression of Massive Killing Capacity-era Dismember and a thick, meaty guitar tone that makes you just want to bang your head right the gently caress off.

I'm torn on a tech death pick here, because Suffocation's ...Of the Dark Light is the easy pick that nobody will really argue with, because it's Suffocation and they're loving amazing as usual, but there has so much good poo poo this year that just catching up on it is taking me some time. Some tech albums I'm liking so far:

Sutrah - Dunes. Wow. This Quebecois trio packed a lot into their full-length debut. Crazy polyrhythms, aggressive blastbeats and tight, fast riffing abound, for sure, and these guys have some really cool stuff going on creatively. It sounds like Lykathea Aflame and Gorguts had a baby and Nile delivered it.

I'm actually gonna leave it at Dunes and ...Of the Dark Light because if I dive into all the tech that's come out in the past 11 months I may never see daylight again.

Black metal: hooooo boy this is a tough one.

Falls of Rauros - Vigilance Perennial is just loving beautiful. It's Falls of Rauros doing what they do best. Clean guitar melodies, meandering solos, and synth somehow create an atmosphere that is neither cheesy nor overwrought. Give me more of this please.

Old school Norwegian black metal? Taake's Kong Vinter is looking like it's gonna be pretty good. The only song available on Bandcamp right now is Inntrenger; the album is up for preorder and it releases in 8 days. A decent amount of it is Hoest doing his thing with the buzzsaw guitars, blastbeats, and shrieking (of course), but there's a catchy melody and some slower grooves that I'm really digging. I'm excited to hear the full album. It's classic Taake but not.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 16, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Entrails - World Inferno is Swedish death metal at its best. It's got that ragged, bloody aggression of Massive Killing Capacity-era Dismember and a thick, meaty guitar tone that makes you just want to bang your head right the gently caress off.

I just listened to this again yesterday, I don't know if it will make my top 10 for this year just because there's been so much good stuff, but it is a lot of fun.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

il_cornuto posted:

I just listened to this again yesterday, I don't know if it will make my top 10 for this year just because there's been so much good stuff, but it is a lot of fun.

I'm gonna be hard-pressed to come up with an actual top ten at the end of the year because there is just so much good stuff. World Inferno scratches an itch, for sure.

e: Slipknot is still a thing? Next you're gonna tell me Limp Bizkit are still recording new albums.

e2: holy poo poo, they are.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 16, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Old school Norwegian black metal? Taake's Kong Vinter is looking like it's gonna be pretty good. The only song available on Bandcamp right now is Inntrenger; the album is up for preorder and it releases in 8 days. A decent amount of it is Hoest doing his thing with the buzzsaw guitars, blastbeats, and shrieking (of course), but there's a catchy melody and some slower grooves that I'm really digging. I'm excited to hear the full album. It's classic Taake but not.

Is there banjo on the album? This is make or break for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Albums of the year for me:

Death metal:

I've been listening to this again the last couple days and it's really great. It might make my final list.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I wasn't sure if I should ask this here or in the guitar thread, but let's give it a shot. Does anyone know how Portal achieves their signature sound? Aside from the thick as gently caress distortion (layered distortion pedals?), there's a warbly pitch thing they do that sounds like a jet engine powering up. Maybe it's a pick sliding up the strings?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

I wasn't sure if I should ask this here or in the guitar thread, but let's give it a shot. Does anyone know how Portal achieves their signature sound? Aside from the thick as gently caress distortion (layered distortion pedals?), there's a warbly pitch thing they do that sounds like a jet engine powering up. Maybe it's a pick sliding up the strings?
horror illogium posted this on some random metal guitar message board a few years back. im sure there is a ton of technique involved too to get that sound like you said

quote:

Each album has had different equipment used for our tone.

Swarth - Bogner Triple Giant thru Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 (ABY Pedal) mixed with a Peavey 6505. I like to have the mids & highs of the Bogner at around 1 or 2 O'clock, and the Lows at 1 O'clock, exclusively thru the Sharp Gain channel. The 6505 was used to fill out the tone with more dirt and fatness.

Outre' - I used a Digitech Valve FX preamp thru an Alesis reference power amp.

Seepia - An old Digitech Processor GSP 2101 or something through Peavey Revolution head.

Pre 2002 demos etc - I used the distortion from the Peavey Revolution head.

Lately when we have to travel and can't take our rigs we use the T.C. Electronic Nova Gain pedals.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've gotten a similar sound using a dissonant chord (e.g. if "2-4" or "3-5" etc in tabs is a power chord, do "2-5" or "2-6" or however wide you can stretch), tremelo picking it, and bending the strings slowly up and down.

Sounds p good to me. I could probably record a sample later if I can fish out my recording stuff.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Very cool. Now to try to sound like Portal. I'm sure my wife will love hearing this...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm okay with recreating the spooky scary drony sounds, I'm just godawful when it starts getting fast. I never could pick up playing grind.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

I'm okay with recreating the spooky scary drony sounds, I'm just godawful when it starts getting fast. I never could pick up playing grind.

lots and lots of furious masturbation

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

COOL CORN posted:

Get a metronome that goes above 280 and keep building up speed in your new hyperbolic tempo chamber.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Do y'all still like speed metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guGaaxEcKp4

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tote up a bags posted:

Who knew it stood for literally “powerful wolf” and in some cases the power the wolf has is social/religious

It's more the combination of the crown with the hilariously-posed burning Van Helsing cross, but thanks for guys for making sure I knew what Powerwolf was. Do you think they do power metal? Not sure.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I saw Ne Obliviscaris last night and somebody proposed during the local opener’s set

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

This song owns, but these guys have been around ten years and released literally four songs. What the gently caress

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
GODFLESH is the heaviest band on the planet and the new album, Post Self owns.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Just stumbled on Khonsu's 2016 release, The Xun Protectorate. Pretty neat album that sort of straddles the line between Arcturus's The Sham Mirrors and later ...And Oceans (specifically A.M.G.O.D. and Cypher). Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILgTcylqsrQ

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

GODFLESH is the heaviest band on the planet and the new album, Post Self owns.

New album?! gently caress

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is Sabaton pretty good live? They've going to be in Atlanta on my birthday and I'm digging what I'm hearing from them so far.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

New album?! gently caress

yeah it's more on the early swans worship side of things

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Vargatron posted:

Is Sabaton pretty good live? They've going to be in Atlanta on my birthday and I'm digging what I'm hearing from them so far.

I think they are better live than in the studio.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Vargatron posted:

I went with my son (who is a super fan) and I didn't think I was going to enjoy them all that much but it turned out to be one of the best shows I've been to in recent memory. It probably helped that the crowd was totally bananas about this band. It was a really cool scene and they sounded awesome.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I'm not much into power metal generally and never listened to much Sabaton, but I saw them opening for Amon Amarth a couple years ago and they were a lot of fun.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Big name power metal bands are usually pretty good live shows if only because the crowds are usually super into them.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah I'm not much into power metal generally and never listened to much Sabaton, but I saw them opening for Amon Amarth a couple years ago and they were a lot of fun.

That's the same tour where I first saw them. The lead singer even brought up a like, 10 year old kid, and gave him his sunglasses. It was adorable as hell.

And there was one guy in the crowd right up front who had flags for every country that Sabaton's war songs were based on. Like 7 songs into the set, the singer mentioned this and said he must be pretty familiar with their set list. He changed it on the spot, throwing in a song that they hadn't yet performed on that tour. The dude had a flag for it, and everyone went loving NUTS, including the singer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
Sabaton is loving terrible