Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Holy poo poo that's boss as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Having the App Store poo poo and Stickers poo poo BELOW the Message box is seriously loving stupid.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Alec Eiffel posted:

Having the App Store poo poo and Stickers poo poo BELOW the Message box is seriously loving stupid.

just 3d touch it and make it go away

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

[quote="“Endless Mike”" post="“476625281”"]
It does, yes. It’s not as useful as showing in the status bar or with one swipe, sadly.
[/quote]

It didn’t for me when I touched the 3 half circles.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

just 3d touch it and make it go away

I have a 6. I long-press and it just makes it larger. What do you mean?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Alec Eiffel posted:

Oh sorry, your phone basically sucks this iOS update.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Alec Eiffel posted:

There is no 3D Touch to get rid of this. Just tap the AppStore icon next to the camera icon. That should make the bar below the message box disappear.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, for both the pods and the case.

But, my airpods are currently connected to my phone and they’re in their case. On my phone, the battery levels show up, but on my iPad the airpods don’t show up at all until I flip open the case. Which seems reasonable.

Are you referring to the White overlay that shows individual AirPod battery levels as well as the case? Because that I get, if I'm opening the case up while in that screen. But if I'm using my AirPods and want to see the current battery level it only shows up in my widgets.

It is weird that Apple couldn't find a more elegant solution. We've got a headphone icon already there doing almost nothing. Even something like fading it out as the batteries fade would at least give you an approximate idea without having to unlock your phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dugong posted:

Is anyone missing the options to follow other Apple Music users? I've go to For You, clicked on my image on the top right and it's not there.

It's there for me, but when I look at the list of friends, it just has "INVITE" for everyone. Tapping that asks me to send something. I don't know if this just means no one uses Apple Music or if I have to send a thing via iMessage or whatever.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
[quote="“Dugong”" post="“476625540”"]
Is anyone missing the options to follow other Apple Music users? I’ve go to For You, clicked on my image on the top right and it’s not there.
[/quote]

Go to restrictions in settings and turn "Music profiles and posts" back on. Like me you probably turned it off two OS' ago to hide connect.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Doesn't work on my 6+. Man.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

After the iOS 11 update in my 6s I can't change ringer volume. The side volume button only does Media volume, even if no media is open.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

ManSedan posted:

Go to restrictions in settings and turn "Music profiles and posts" back on. Like me you probably turned it off two OS' ago to hide connect.

This solved it, thank you!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

illcendiary posted:

No, that's exactly the problem, it plays the ring now when you use the volume buttons, even when your phone is on silent/vibrate. Before it only previewed the sound when you used the slider on the touchscreen.

Hah, that's hilarious --- it only previews when you're on that Settings page.

OK so if you go to Settings -> Sounds you can flip the switch to revert to the 'change Ringer with buttons if nothing is playing' behaviour, and it does preview your ringer - but only on that screen. I just tested, on iOS 11, if you flip the switch and get OUT of that settings page, your ringer does not preview ... and the volume buttons do change your ringer.

BUT when you flip the switch and use the buttons while on that page in Settings.app, it will preview your ringtone. Because Apple.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

also my ringer is apparently Jay Z going NOW TUNED TO THE MOTHERFUCKIN' GREATEST and I forgot since I had my phone muted for so drat long

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

After the iOS 11 update in my 6s I can't change ringer volume. The side volume button only does Media volume, even if no media is open.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Thanks. What an odd feature to add.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That has been around for a long time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Thanks. What an odd feature to add.

I like it. I've accidentally turned down my ringer so many times. And since I'm occasionally on call, that would be a bad thing. I usually have it on silent and vibrate is enough, but when I'm sleeping max volume on the ring tone and alarm clock.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't think it's been a default setting though until now. I know I didn't know about it until people started bitching about it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yes, but the new default is inverted.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Holy poo poo I thought I had been sleeping thru / snoozing my wake up alarm but no, iOS11 just removed my custom sound / ringtones with no warning. Jesus loving christ.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Oneiros posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I had been sleeping thru / snoozing my wake up alarm but no, iOS11 just removed my custom sound / ringtones with no warning. Jesus loving christ.

This should fix that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just visited the Tones store and oh my goodness what the gently caress is this poo poo

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

This should fix that.

I should clarify that the actual files are still in place and usable as ringtones and regular alarms. The special Bedtime alarm, though, appears to have been restricted to the builtin "Wake Up Sound"s. Interestingly, if I look at the Bedtime Options screen my custom sound still shows as active but if I try to change it it shows as "None".

So to get a custom morning alarm tone I have to use the regular alarm system and not the purpose-built Bedtime one even though it worked perfectly fine before :shrug:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pivo posted:

also my ringer is apparently Jay Z going NOW TUNED TO THE MOTHERFUCKIN' GREATEST and I forgot since I had my phone muted for so drat long

You feelin' like a nuisance? Yea, go on, turn your ringer off
Notifications is poo poo, too, go on, turn your speakers off

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

This should fix that.

Thanks for this. Had to go digging around an old computer to even find the drat .m4r that I was missing but I now have a copy of my now probably extremely rare clip from https://vimeo.com/35873217 back and working again whenever people call.

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom
Quick question for tomorrow’s iPhone 8 launch: I have an appointment for an in-store pick up for an iPhone 8 but I might be a hour late. Anyone have any experience as to what they might do to my reservation? How long do they usually hold it before they sell it to someone else?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pole of Mars posted:

Quick question for tomorrow’s iPhone 8 launch: I have an appointment for an in-store pick up for an iPhone 8 but I might be a hour late. Anyone have any experience as to what they might do to my reservation? How long do they usually hold it before they sell it to someone else?

Did you pay for it? Then it's yours.

Also, you can always call the store and ask.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
drat, control center remote confirmed not to work on 3rd gen Apple TVs :(
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201664

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
So, the location services arrow is stuck on for everyone? Not sure if it was on from the get-go with iOS 11, but I was playing with privacy settings and certainly toggled it on, but now isn't going away after turning it off.

Also, I used to be able to pull down notification center using Reachability by pulling down in the hunk of blank space but that appears to be gone. :(

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Spectracide posted:

So, the location services arrow is stuck on for everyone? Not sure if it was on from the get-go with iOS 11, but I was playing with privacy settings and certainly toggled it on, but now isn't going away after turning it off.

Also, I used to be able to pull down notification center using Reachability by pulling down in the hunk of blank space but that appears to be gone. :(

Mine is always white, as well as the Bluetooth icon, which used to be grayed out when not actually connected to anything.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Minidust posted:

drat, control center remote confirmed not to work on 3rd gen Apple TVs :(
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201664

lovely! It worked before... at least Remote.app did. I'm not buying a newer Apple TV gently caress Off Tim.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Oh thank god. Losing this is literally worse than the new app headers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fourwood posted:

Oh thank god. Losing this is literally worse than the new app headers.
You know what's better than this?

Double-tapping the home button

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Nah

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Josh Lyman posted:

laff look at this scrub

(The thumb is usually, like, 2" or whatever and usually a hand adjustment away from the home button, but as a filthy southpaw my thumb is almost always in prime position for the 3D Touch task switcher. Pretty sure it's easier to trigger right-handed, too... but maybe I'm #holdingitwrong)

fourwood fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 22, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You probably are if the home button is 2 inches away from the home button.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I assumed everyone held the phone on the bottom half with pinky support under the bottom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I assumed everyone held the phone on the bottom half with pinky support under the bottom.

My right hand pinky muscles have developed into massive tumours ever since I got the 6S+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I barely use Messages.app as it is thanks to FB messenger but gently caress whatever stupid oval office deicded that god drat sticker bar should be there ALL THE TIME.

also why is the bluetooth icon in th system tray always 'on' now? when you turn it off and on again it flashes like its connecting to something too, then it just stays on again? how the gently caress am I supposed to know if I actually have something connected to my device without going into settings?

The 'totally customisable but not at all' control center is poo poo too. I cant make the changes I want, and the previous layout was significantly better.

There is a lot of absolutely ridiculous styling changes for change sake in this release and none of them are an improvement over how things were.