Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I mean they’re made in China, but surely Apple wouldn’t let them sell iPhones: Original Brand For I15 Pro Max Smartphone 6.7 Inch Full Screen Face ID 16GB+1TB Mobile Phones Global Version 4G 5G Cell Phone
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOuJevg
Just a similar knock-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I mean, the description says it's Android 12, and has a "Dimensity 9000" processor which will "Broden your vison".

Edit: It also has 108 million HD rear cameras.

I like that the "default" option is just headphones for $30 too, you need to switch to an actual phone to see the real, $60 price. Mediatek make that Dimensity 9000 sound pretty good on their product page but I know from experience they make terrible processors.

Charles Ford fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 17, 2023

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Good to know, my 2 AM brain was suitably confused and not about to read the fine print (no, I wasn’t actually going to order one)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There are also ones where they take iphone x guts and transplant them into a case that looks like the current model

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Charles Ford posted:

I mean, the description says it's Android 12, and has a "Dimensity 9000" processor which will "Broden your vison".

Edit: It also has 108 million HD rear cameras.

I like that the "default" option is just headphones for $30 too, you need to switch to an actual phone to see the real, $60 price. Mediatek make that Dimensity 9000 sound pretty good on their product page but I know from experience they make terrible processors.

Nah Mediatek makes very competent Soc now. Their low and mid end are as good as Qualcomm and cheaper. High end is cheaper and maybe 1 year behind at most. They are outselling Qualcomm in volume in last 2? years. You can actually buy phone models variants that are the same in everything but only different in Qualcomm/Mediatek flagship soc. Price difference is about $100.

Both Qualcomm and Mediatek (and UNISOC) just license ARM designs and put other 4G 5G components together and pay TSMC to fab the soc anyway. Qualcomm doesn't have some technology stranglehold.

This phone definitely doesn't have a real Dimensity 9000 because you just search dimensity 9000 and you can see all of the other phone model cost in the 400 ballpark.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 17, 2023

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Charles Ford posted:

108 million HD rear cameras

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ante posted:

You won't actually get that Alibaba price if you're ordering less than several hundred though. The seller will just refuse.

That's Taobao, they will sell one but you have to sort out shipping probably with a freight forwarder

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I was looking for a "third hand" for soldering and such tasks. I used to have a basic one like this:

, but looking at the listings, I found this model:

, with an LED light, a tip cleaning jar, more "hands", and a magnifying glass
, so that's what I ordered.

I just received it, and have already planned some tinkering projects where it'll come in useful.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I was looking for a "third hand" for soldering and such tasks. I used to have a basic one like this:

I just received it, and have already planned some tinkering projects where it'll come in useful.

what the hell? is that a gorillapod for soldering? please update on how useful it actually is because that thing looks almost too good to be true

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

dang that looks awesome, is the base nice and heavy?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

what the hell? is that a gorillapod for soldering? please update on how useful it actually is because that thing looks almost too good to be true

The "arms" are very much the same principle as in a gorillapod, yes. I will let you know how it performs, although my first projects are not soldering, but using the multiple arms along with suction cups I also got in the same combined shipment to hold various small items up for photography purposes.

ekuNNN posted:

dang that looks awesome, is the base nice and heavy?

Yes, it is milled aluminum.

As you can see from the listing, the device is also available with clamp and magnet bases.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I have a set of helping hands that has a steel base and magnetic arms. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081MZX8Q8

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I have a set of helping hands that has a steel base and magnetic arms. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081MZX8Q8

This is similar to the one I have and it's extremely useful. Those older style ones with the screws and steel rods never worked as well for me.

I only use this and a pcb holder for all my soldering now. PCB holder/vice is better for microsoldering under a scope, the arms for normal soldering.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

These sex toys are getting very complex.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do they sell a large version I can strap to my back?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dick Fontaine posted:

We have set ups like that here and they're pretty good. The one I use the most is a big metal plate and the arms like in the picture are mounted magnetically so you can move them where you need to.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can get loc line up to at least 2.5", maybe larger.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Good soldering skills:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Got my N100 box today! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005234874016.html

• The fan seems to be always on but at idle I can't hear it over the ambient noise in the room.

Could you use a sound meter app to let me know what that "ambient noise" level is? Also, what are the thermal readings under load, around that 47° C mark?

I'm interested in getting a box like this to replace my Raspberry Pi 3 based emulation box, but I'm sensitive to fan noise, so I'm a bit worried. Alternatively, if you know of a fanless/passive cooled N100 box, please link! I tried searching, but all I could find were boxes meant for router builds.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Could you use a sound meter app to let me know what that "ambient noise" level is? Also, what are the thermal readings under load, around that 47° C mark?

I'm interested in getting a box like this to replace my Raspberry Pi 3 based emulation box, but I'm sensitive to fan noise, so I'm a bit worried. Alternatively, if you know of a fanless/passive cooled N100 box, please link! I tried searching, but all I could find were boxes meant for router builds.

I have a few rpi 3b+ units just lying around and I haven't done anything with them in a while, but I never thought to try emulation on them. how's the performance using a pi for that?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

VictualSquid posted:

Good soldering skills:

Still better than the usual fingerprint removal technique you see in ads!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

hark posted:

I have a few rpi 3b+ units just lying around and I haven't done anything with them in a while, but I never thought to try emulation on them. how's the performance using a pi for that?

For anything up to the PS1, it's very good! Check out https://retropie.org.uk, that's what I use.

I mainly want to upgrade because with a beefy PC, I'd get new machines available, like the DreamCast and the PS2.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Could you use a sound meter app to let me know what that "ambient noise" level is?
On an iphone such an app can be more or less tuned by the developer against known hardware. On android results can deviate as much as 18dB between devices easily and as such the results will be useless. You can only calibrate those apps against a known good meter.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

stephenthinkpad posted:

Let me guess, your friends call you Liv

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Flipperwaldt posted:

On an iphone such an app can be more or less tuned by the developer against known hardware. On android results can deviate as much as 18dB between devices easily and as such the results will be useless. You can only calibrate those apps against a known good meter.

So long as it is consistent could you use it as a comparison? "This thing reads 50, and normal speech at 1m distance reads as 65" would at least give you an idea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Sure, I'll can try that later. I don't have an actual sound meter so the phone readings from will be questionable but why not :) You can check this guy's review, that's how I found the box and he does have sound level measurements with comparisons. It's not the quietest of them but as I mentioned it's not obtrusive even under load if it's not immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrQB1ElwoXA

I'm not super into emulation but I got a few games running since it's the HTPC, and Wii and Switch seems to run fine. At least in the handheld mode, docked is getting close but not full speed.

There's a fanless N100/N200 that isn't a router: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005853241227.html
The N200 should be better for emulation with but with limited thermal it's probably a wash. Maybe it could be modded with a bigger heatsink or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-BMqHGyv2o

Gromit posted:

So long as it is consistent could you use it as a comparison? "This thing reads 50, and normal speech at 1m distance reads as 65" would at least give you an idea.
Sure if you can somehow calibrate it like that, but it will be making the measurements and HELLOMYNAMEIS___ trying to interpret them :)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A broken clock is right twice a day, and if you buy a whole heap of them that's as good as a real working one probably

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I had to go look that up, but it looks like that price only gets you one broken watch at random

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ante posted:

I had to go look that up, but it looks like that price only gets you one broken watch at random

I was gonna say a whole heap of watches for that price isn’t a bad deal.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

I'd figure that it's not second hand, but is a factory error that they're trying to sell off instead of toss out.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

of course it's not second hand

it's hour and minute hand too

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure if you can somehow calibrate it like that, but it will be making the measurements and HELLOMYNAMEIS___ trying to interpret them :)

Somehow? Stand 1m away from it and speak. Then all someone needs to do is think about how loud normal speech is and will know it's less loud than that. My point is that so long as it is a consistent reading, you just need to compare it to something the reader would know.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Good old fashioned "just eyeball it" advice

I'd be amazed if you get a margin of error of less than 10db if you just tell random people to speak at a normal volume

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Depending on what systems you emulate, you might want to just get an emulation handheld with HDMI out and bluetooth.

See here for a a quick example of the RGB30, which coincidentally is on sale at the moment.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gromit posted:

Somehow? Stand 1m away from it and speak. Then all someone needs to do is think about how loud normal speech is and will know it's less loud than that. My point is that so long as it is a consistent reading, you just need to compare it to something the reader would know.
No it's fair that you don't need an absolute calibration if you can produce a common reference. It's just a really big, difficult if. Maybe with a pair of identical smoke alarms on a fresh battery or something.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Alternatively, if you know of a fanless/passive cooled N100 box, please link! I tried searching, but all I could find were boxes meant for router builds.
Asus PN42 is what I got, but I paid actual computer money, not aliexpress trinket money.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 20, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

of course it's not second hand

it's hour and minute hand too

I appreciate this

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rearranged my office, I have one of these and wondering what sort of cheap poo poo can I buy to mount it under my desk?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

3M strips? Otherwise adhesive Velcro strips work well too.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you have a wood desk, just use metal L brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
If it’s made of ferrous/magnetic metal you could screw/superglue two rows of neodymium magnets to the underside of your desk.