Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Background
PO of my 1996 XJ600 opened the stock mufflers, pulled out some baffling, and had them welded back. The bike runs fine, I've got the carbs tuned to the best possible performance. But the mufflers sound like rear end, they're loud and crackly and just... rear end. Lots of high-frequency to them, not a bit of nice rumble. I want to keep the current mufflers because replacement stockers are impossible to find and aftermarket ones are all too expensive or they're megaphones or loud or all three. I know what stock mufflers sound like, and I like them. Kind of deep and very quiet. At idle, the valves are louder.

Question
If I was to cut these open near the end of the can, how should I go about re-baffling them? Get some new inserts, wrap them with that fiberglass stuff, put them back in, and weld them up? I want them quiet, but if there was a way to get a little bit of a bass note, that would be cool. If not, that's ok, I just want them quiet.

Alternately, anyone got a pair of slip-on cans that are quiet?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just slam a baffle into the exhaust tip first. You can find them on ebay, that'll probably help more/be cheaper than tearing the cans apart.

(something liek this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-M...455d68a&vxp=mtr )

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Into the muffler or header? Like pull the cans and shove those in the end that attaches to the header?

edit:
Or like this?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 25, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Not that far! And the other way around!! That poor, poor bike. :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

KARMA! posted:

Not that far!

What?

quote:

And the other way around!!
Not gonna happen. There's all of two inches of pipe before it splits.

quote:

That poor, poor bike. :(
Thanks for a useful reply?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Into the muffler or header? Like pull the cans and shove those in the end that attaches to the header?

edit:
Or like this?

LOL

In the muffler outlet, narrow end in.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

First complete answer. Thanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It's something to try, but really doubt you are going to be happy with that. It should help, but it'll still sound pretty awful and while quieter, it'll be a far cry from quiet.

A quick search of ebay showed OEM cans from parted bikes in the $40-$50 range. Personally, I'd probably just bite the bullet and go that way.

e: I know shipping can increase prices pretty fast.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 25, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

slidebite posted:

It's something to try, but really doubt you are going to be happy with that. It should help, but it'll still sound pretty awful and while quieter, it'll be a far cry from quiet.

A quick search of ebay showed OEM cans from parted bikes in the $40-$50 range. Personally, I'd probably just bite the bullet and go that way.

e: I know shipping can increase prices pretty fast.

What search terms are you using? I don't find a single set of cans for under $100. There's a couple single ones that are in the $49+ range, but most of them are bashed on the outside.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

slidebite posted:

We put a Leo Vince on my wife's beemer and with the baffle in, it whistles. So bad.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Actually, I have the exact same question. I'd like to paint the DRZ.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R2.TR4.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdrz+plastic&_nkw=drz+400+plastic+kit&_sacat=0

Less than the cost of paint+clear+tape+time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

We put a Leo Vince on my wife's beemer and with the baffle in, it whistles. So bad.

Like this?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Only in the morning.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I still need to paint my gas tank because all the white ones I found are $250+.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Is it the whistle that Suzuki Savages make? Oh my god that is the most annoying exhaust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does it have flatslides? :huh:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is it the whistle that Suzuki Savages make? Oh my god that is the most annoying exhaust.

I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSgYtmCnyYw

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the big draw of the Duc 2v aircooled motors?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thanks for a useful reply?

Sorry about enjoying myself on motorcycle subforum on a comedy forum. It wasn't malicious, we can all be unfunny and/or informative here, I'm not obligated to respond the way you want me to, etc. :)

clutchpuck posted:

Mine does that too. I'd rather run with the baffle in but that drat whistle is too annoying. It makes my bike sound like the engine is made completely out of cymbals.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

KARMA! posted:

Sorry about enjoying myself on motorcycle subforum on a comedy forum. It wasn't malicious, we can all be unfunny and/or informative here, I'm not obligated to respond the way you want me to, etc. :)

:colbert: Everyone should post the way I want them to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the big draw of the Duc 2v aircooled motors?

They're usefully torquey and have 'character' and they're very light compared to a comparable liquid cooled engine. That's it AFAIK.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They sound better with the right pipes and are easier to work on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They sound better with the right pipes and are easier to work on.

I'm assuming you mean 'easier to work on in relation to a testastretta' and not 'easier to work on in relation to a comparable japanese engine'.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I didn't know there were any Japanese a/c v-twins left.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

I'm assuming you mean 'easier to work on in relation to a testastretta' and not 'easier to work on in relation to a comparable japanese engine'.

Eh, Ducati changed the valve maintenance interval to around 15k, which is comparable to a lot of Japanese motorcycles (from 10 years ago). I wouldn't put the difficulty much above working on something like a V-4 VFR from Honda, where the rear heads are sort of in "no man's land" and are still a relative pain to get to. Yes, the Desmo design is unorthodox and a relative pain to work on, but I'll forgive them for stretching it out to that long between intervals. It's much better than 7.5k and even better than some of the old Moto Guzzis I saw where it's somewhere around 3k (Rev feel free to correct me on this, my memory is literally that foggy).

The enhanced maintenance intervals is principally why I'm saving up for a Monster 1200 at this point - you get the pretty of Italy and maintenance intervals of a Japanese machine, but you keep the random fires and electrical issues that makes Ducati so Ducati.

I can't wait for my first break-down. :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was meaning a 'comparable' engine like the SV650 compared to the midsized monsters, for example. I've never worked on a ducati so maybe all the claims of them being terrible are exagerrated? I really don't know.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The 999 is very well designed, and pretty simple to work on. Belts are about 30 minutes once you do it a few times. Haven't done a desmo valve adjust yet so no comment there, but the Testrastretta is much easier to work on than the 916 series desmoquattros. The shock design, tank mounts, etc, are are super simple and rather brilliant in terms of ease of working on.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Valve adjustments/checks really aren't a big deal. I dropped some cash on some stupid nice machined valve retainers and a shim kit and of course, the adjustment hasn't budged since. They're just sitting around collecting dust on a shelf now. I think I got the valve check down to about 2 hours by my second try.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 27, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm also getting the MBP retainers when the time comes for me to do a valve adjust... I fear blowing this one up.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A very rational and healthy fear for you.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The 2v Ducatis are not hard to do valves on compared to a DOHC 4v system like an SV650. Provided you have the thing you need to measure the magic shims. I've never done valves on a 4v Ducati.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

Eh, Ducati changed the valve maintenance interval to around 15k, which is comparable to a lot of Japanese motorcycles (from 10 years ago). I wouldn't put the difficulty much above working on something like a V-4 VFR from Honda, where the rear heads are sort of in "no man's land" and are still a relative pain to get to. Yes, the Desmo design is unorthodox and a relative pain to work on, but I'll forgive them for stretching it out to that long between intervals. It's much better than 7.5k and even better than some of the old Moto Guzzis I saw where it's somewhere around 3k (Rev feel free to correct me on this, my memory is literally that foggy).

The enhanced maintenance intervals is principally why I'm saving up for a Monster 1200 at this point - you get the pretty of Italy and maintenance intervals of a Japanese machine, but you keep the random fires and electrical issues that makes Ducati so Ducati.

I can't wait for my first break-down. :allears:

Yeah, but you can do the Guzzi valves while sitting on the bike, which changes the equation a bit.

FWIW Aprilia do 12k service intervals with valve clearances done every other service on all their big bikes including the V4s. Unfortunately for all the many words you can use to describe the Tuono "pretty" definitely isn't one of them - although having said that the new-gen Monsters look a shitload more like the Shiver (designed by the same guy who did the OG Monster) than they do the old air-cooled Monsters - they're good looking but again not exactly pretty.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
GS500 started getting stuck while starting. I'll hit the starter and it'll just sound like its jammed up. I'll roll it down the hill and let the clutch out and it will clunk and then the starter will work fine. The bike seems fine after that. It only happens when it hasn't been running for a day or so.

Any ideas what I can check on?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Starter Solenoid or Starter clutch are not that unusual on a GS500.

It starts from a roll correct?

Have you checked the simplest things first like the battery? Do you get any clicks at all? Is the voltage high enough to actually turn over the bike. I had a similar issue with a battery with a bad cell. I replaced it with a Scorpion AGM battery and haven't had an issue starting since.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Minkee posted:

Starter Solenoid or Starter clutch are not that unusual on a GS500.

It starts from a roll correct?

Have you checked the simplest things first like the battery? Do you get any clicks at all? Is the voltage high enough to actually turn over the bike. I had a similar issue with a battery with a bad cell. I replaced it with a Scorpion AGM battery and haven't had an issue starting since.

Well, it stopped doing it, so I cant keep after it until it starts again.

Got another dumb question:

Is there an easy way to fix this, or at least keep it from getting worse?

EDIT: Oops, sorry, tables!

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 1, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Plastex or ABS welding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On the 'keep it from getting worse front' you can drill a hole at the very end of the crack to prevent it propagating further.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Bike acts like it has warped rotors but as soon as I sand the pads lightly on a flatblock the brakes go perfectly smooth. If I track the bike the brakes are smooth. If I ride the bike hard the brakes are smooth. If I commute the brakes act warped after a few days. Wtf?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Are you running reasonably aggressive track pads? If track pads don't get hot enough, they start to deposit pad material unevenly and you get a "warped" feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm not sure what pads are in it. Presumably something stock since the bike has about 15k on it, but they could be something more track oriented since someone already adjusted the geometry to the usual 20mm above / 285 eye-to-eye before I bought it. Just confuses me that sanding the pads fixes the issue.