Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Huge_Midget posted:

Mine was a Commodore 64. We old as gently caress.

I had a Leading Edge Model D. Dual 5.25" floppies. I couldn't afford the $500 20Mb hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Huge_Midget posted:

Mine was a Commodore 64. We old as gently caress.

I still have mine in the original box in my garage. Have a floppy drive for it too. Been meaning to dust it off and show the kids what I had instead of an iPad.

I really wish I'd kept my Apple IIe.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My first was a IIE. Had everything stored on drive b so my computer memories are all

BRUN choplifter
BRUN loderunner

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

From the era where you could say your car and your computer both had 'Turbo'

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

My first PC was an Amstrad 286. Was running Counterpoint, if anyone else has even heard of that one.

Holy poo poo, you are completely right. I had completely forgotten about the 286. I think my first 'PC' (intel/IBM based) was a 286/12? The 386/25 was my big upgrade when some friends opened a computer shop.

I'm so old I'm forgetting entire generations of computers now!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
286 12MHz with terrible DR-DOS 6.0 on it. It claimed to turn the tiny 10MB HDD into 20MB.
I once foolishly tried to install Wing Commander 2 on it. LOL. It was 'only' eight disks, but the decompression and subsequent OS-recompression took over 8 hours. The game wasn't playable on a 286, anyhow. What a waste of time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

286 12MHz with terrible DR-DOS 6.0 on it. It claimed to turn the tiny 10MB HDD into 20MB.
I once foolishly tried to install Wing Commander 2 on it. LOL. It was 'only' eight disks, but the decompression and subsequent OS-recompression took over 8 hours. The game wasn't playable on a 286, anyhow. What a waste of time.

I had one of the first 40mb hard drives made. It was so loving huge! I had to partition it into 2 drives because DOS couldn't support that much storage space in a single partition. At the time it seemed like I could never possibly fill that up!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

The Locator posted:

I had one of the first 40mb hard drives made. It was so loving huge! I had to partition it into 2 drives because DOS couldn't support that much storage space in a single partition. At the time it seemed like I could never possibly fill that up!

I had a monochrome 286 running sim cga to play Sierra games off 10mb Brunelli boards. It was a blast when you're 10 or so

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I was too young to remember it well, but when I was growing up in Poland, a radio station would transmit beep boops. You recorded the beep boops on tape, then you put it into your computer and had a game.

That's kind of rad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There was a late night tv program I remember that talked about computers and the latest amazing tech, they flashed a square of pixels in the corner, you could stick a special photocell thing in the corner of the tv and record a program. Young me thought that was magic, I think they advertised the photocell for like £100-ish

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKWcZ3NJdw0

Bridgestone video on manufacturing new tyres for the Jaguar XJ220. Pretty interesting, epecially if you like XJ220s.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I was too young to remember it well, but when I was growing up in Poland, a radio station would transmit beep boops. You recorded the beep boops on tape, then you put it into your computer and had a game.

That's kind of rad.
We had that on TV shows here. You were supposed to hook up your tape recorder to the TV audio.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I used to type in the programs from Compute! magazine into my C64.
Got some mad 10-key skills when they started using machine code.
https://arstechnica.com/staff/2012/12/first-encounter-compute-magazine-and-its-glorious-tedious-type-in-code/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I remember doing that for my BBC Master in 1988 or thereabouts. Played the gently caress out of some Chucky Egg and Dambusters.

We had a Commodore +4 before that, and I remember playing Transylvania on my mother's work computer, an Apple ][e

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
You guys and your modern first PC's.

My first one was a Commodore PC-1 with 512 KB of memory, 8086 CPU, 5.25" floppy drive and a 12" monochrome monitor.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Kidney Stone posted:

My first one was a Commodore PC-1 with 512 KB of memory, 8086 CPU, 5.25" floppy drive and a 12" monochrome monitor.

:corsair:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The first PC my parents owned was this:

The Amstrad Sega Mega PC. Could play (most) Megadrive games. It was fun.

I mostly played Stunts though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hKK4_gvOS0

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gently caress yes, get the indy car to 245 mph (stated top speed of 230) and hit a jump, and see how far the skybox extended.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh man, me and my friend played the hell out of that game. Well, I say played... Mostly we just tried to break the Indy car so it got stuck at max speed and tried to launch it into space.

LOL efb on that one!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My first rig was an XT with that hot new 3.5" floppy drive technology. It played prince of Persia like a boss.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Look at these guys and their fancy GUIs. Back in my day we used punch cards.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

Look at these guys and their fancy GUIs. Back in my day we used punch cards.

That's funny because my mom was a keypunch operator and was good enough that her company put one of those keypunch machines in our house so she could work from home.

She was the fastest typer/10 key operator I've ever seen, she would finish a section of her work and get up for a break and the machine would keep spitting out cards for several minutes.

She telecommuted before that was even a word I think.

Of course the work had to be shuttled back and forth via car. I carried so many cases of punch cards and paper to and from the car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

Of course the work had to be shuttled back and forth via car. I carried so many cases of punch cards and paper to and from the car.
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

While we're on the subject of old hardware:

The Beast of Turin was a 1911 FIAT S76, with a 28-liter inline 4 (yes, that's 7 liters per cylinder). It developed about 300 horsepower and set a land speed record of 135 mph. Also, only two-wheel braking, operated by hand.

It's been restored and took part in a vintage track day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnuevzsKTdc

"It's like wrestling a big, hairy gorilla."

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

InitialDave posted:

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway"

Yeah, but the latency is a motherfucker.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Q_res posted:

Yeah, but the latency is a motherfucker.

I dunno, these guys had a pretty good ping I bet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzdEc2-tms4&t=27s

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Kidney Stone posted:

Tandy 1000 TX
8MHz 80286
640k ram
720KB 3.5" Floppy
no hdd

With a Tandy CM-5 monitor, which had possibly the worst "Dot pitch" / pixel density ever in a PC monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH7w1Dz2S1U

They gave us Personal Deskmate 2 and Deskmate 3 disks to go with it when we bought it from radio shack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pagLJCcGEBE

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 10, 2017

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Deteriorata posted:

While we're on the subject of old hardware:

The Beast of Turin was a 1911 FIAT S76, with a 28-liter inline 4 (yes, that's 7 liters per cylinder). It developed about 300 horsepower and set a land speed record of 135 mph. Also, only two-wheel braking, operated by hand.

It's been restored and took part in a vintage track day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnuevzsKTdc

"It's like wrestling a big, hairy gorilla."

That's got a 7.3 in it?

Yeah.... oh, wait.. sorry... I mean 7.3 gallons. Yes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some photos from a rally I went to a few weeks ago:

More here: http://imgur.com/a/CfcvF

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My first computer was a Vic-20 :smith:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Snowy posted:

My first computer was a Vic-20 :smith:

Mine was a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark-8

Also played with a Altair 8800 and few other very early kit mini computers. (I was doing Amateur Radio at the time so got quite a few hands on days with various things)

The first one tht I didnt build was a Microbee 16K. Oh wait.... was it? Cant remember now. I think it still works tho.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Saw this in a Morrison's car park today.

Apparently it is a Fiat Impala and it has a 4 speed manual transmission. This is all I could tell.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

AirRaid posted:

Saw this in a Morrison's car park today.

Apparently it is a Fiat Impala and it has a 4 speed manual transmission. This is all I could tell.

:allears:

please tell me this is at least 25 years old so we can legally have a fiat here that isn't literally

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Thief posted:

please tell me this is at least 25 years old so we can legally have a fiat here that isn't literally

They are kit cars based on the original Fiat 500 or Fiat 146. They were made in the UK from about 1970-1974.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

My grandpa was always a giant tech guy. He was a diesel mechanic by trade, but he always had the weirdest poo poo. When I was a youngster ][e's were standard kit in schools, but the first computer I ever hosed around with was my grandpa's machine that used god damned physical tapes. I wish I knew the specs. The first computer I ever had at home was his hand-me-down first gen Mac. For reasons passing understanding, he bought a cd-i because he thought it was cool. I never once saw him use it, but I remember trying out the Zelda game he had and being super underwhelmed with it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eat This Glob posted:

My grandpa was always a giant tech guy. He was a diesel mechanic by trade, but he always had the weirdest poo poo. When I was a youngster ][e's were standard kit in schools, but the first computer I ever hosed around with was my grandpa's machine that used god damned physical tapes. I wish I knew the specs. The first computer I ever had at home was his hand-me-down first gen Mac. For reasons passing understanding, he bought a cd-i because he thought it was cool. I never once saw him use it, but I remember trying out the Zelda game he had and being super underwhelmed with it

Nintendo was originally working with Sony to develop a CD-based add-on for the Super Nintendo. Sony wasn't willing to bend as far as Nintendo felt they should and jumped ship to work with Phillips on their CD-I. The fruit of that whole ordeal is that we got some awful licensed Nintendo games on the CD-I and Sony developed the Playstation. People bring up stuff like the Virtual Boy being a bad move by Nintendo but I'd claim the Playstation is their absolute biggest mistake.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Thief posted:

The "J" at the end of the license plate means it's probably 1970/71 (or at least claims to be).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't care which thread this belongs in

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Needs airbrushing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm laughing to myself that the engine noise in this game is still better than most of the car games I've played in the past 5/6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
When your turbo's so oversize, you need to have it join you in the cabin:

From http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478429