Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

knox_harrington posted:

A Golf GTI makes that much nowadays

Yeah I think this was about 2010 or so.
So at that point I think v6s we're mostly in the 250-300 hp range and a few turbo fours like the MS3 were around there.

Re: rev chat, I never had an issue with revving anything unless it was broken and I needed to deliberately take it easy.

Getting on the highway? Floor that poo poo!
Going up a hill? Drop a gear or two and floor that poo poo!
And so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My wife is not happy with her Gladiator and wants to get in a Grand Cherokee which is fine, but all the sudden dealers won’t take FCA affiliate pricing for cars on the lot.

Don’t they get a kick back from the manufacture on that?

I’m not talking crazy marked up stuff either. Starting point was MSRP.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

I recall several years ago there was a goon in AI who was all like "yeah I won't drive anything less than like 300hp because its just UNSAFE trying to get up to highway speeds".

I told him he was either just trying to wave his dick around or he was the biggest pussy ever.

It's possible he lived in northern California

For whatever reason, people in northern California treat on ramps as surface street roads and only start accelerating when the dividing line disappears. It's loving bizarre. In Texas most people exceed the speed of traffic, then slow down once merged

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

"Keep the revs low" was advice from the 70s and 80s to maximize fuel economy. Cars even came with upshift lights to tell when to upshift, which kicked on about 2500 RPM.

Inevitably, it morphed into "you should never rev your engine for any reason," as people focused on the behavior rather than the reason for it.

Better engine controls and improved engineering eventually obviated the value of upshift lights, but the attitude remained.

I drove a new rental Aygo that had a shift indicator, and, like every singe one I've seen before, it suggesed upshifting way too early. That said the manufactuers aren't idiots and it's probably based on the best brake-specific fuel consumption which is usually at high load between 1500-2500 rpm like this

It practice I don't think it makes much sense though, as it required making like 80% of max torque, so you'd be basically flooring it. At which point the system thinks you're trying to accelerate faster, and will not show you the shift indicator.

Explosionface posted:

In my old 2000 Suzuki Esteem, if you revved the engine all the way, a cable (I don't know if it was the oem throttle cable or the aftermarket cruise control) would get caught on the throttle, causing about 10-15% power to be added to your idle state. I had to teach myself to never full rev to get around it, because I sure wasn't fixing it/paying someone else to fix it as a college student.

That car was so terrible and I'm glad it's dead.
We had this issue with a repaird throttle cable in my parents' car, causing it to get stuck at wide open throttle. Not fun!

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah I think this was about 2010 or so.
So at that point I think v6s we're mostly in the 250-300 hp range and a few turbo fours like the MS3 were around there.

Re: rev chat, I never had an issue with revving anything unless it was broken and I needed to deliberately take it easy.

Getting on the highway? Floor that poo poo!
Going up a hill? Drop a gear or two and floor that poo poo!
And so on.
The abovementioned Fit starts to vibrate in weird ways within about 1000rpm of redline, so I don't go into that danger zone. But otherwise yeah every last bit of power gets used :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Those vibrations are just speed buzz, it's your reward for a job well done.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Better engine controls and improved engineering eventually obviated the value of upshift lights, but the attitude remained.

They're still not completely gone. I'd wager they disappeared from most vehicles mostly because automatics are everywhere, but at least Mazda is still using them - albeit in a more complicated numeric form that recommends skip shifts too:

It was one of those fun bullshit EPA "cheats". If you put a shift light in the car, it is assumed the driver will follow it perfectly and so the emissions / fuel economy tests were run following it exactly. I can't find anything saying that those shift points are still treated as gospel which may be why some manufacturers ditched the light.

edit: My favorite fuel economy / emissions bodge is still the skip shift on Corvettes, Camaros, GTOs, and Firebirds. An easily-defeated solenoid that will force a 1-4 upshift under certain throttle conditions so that the car doesn't get hit with an extra gas guzzler tax.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 31, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I was gonna say my nd Miata had a shift light lol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

It's possible he lived in northern California

For whatever reason, people in northern California treat on ramps as surface street roads and only start accelerating when the dividing line disappears. It's loving bizarre. In Texas most people exceed the speed of traffic, then slow down once merged

Because they went back and added metered onramps to all of them to help with the horrific traffic they get, so people get used to going up the onramp slowly because they might have to stop.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I was gonna say my nd Miata had a shift light lol

I drove my sister-in-law's ~2014ish Mazda3 a few times and remember seeing it there, but was surprised that the first hit on Google for "mazda3 shift light" was that ND cluster.

KillHour posted:

Because they went back and added metered onramps to all of them to help with the horrific traffic they get, so people get used to going up the onramp slowly because they might have to stop.

I know the answer is "drivers are bad" but even in California, land of absolutely horrible onramps, every time I've seen a meter there's been a light ahead of it flashing saying there's a meter ahead.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

Oh, gently caress, you're probably right

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

IOwnCalculus posted:

I know the answer is "drivers are bad" but even in California, land of absolutely horrible onramps, every time I've seen a meter there's been a light ahead of it flashing saying there's a meter ahead.

Yeah, and I noticed idiots driving like that long before metering ramps became a common thing.

I grew up at a time where everything was dog-slow, so using every possible bit of HP during a freeway merge is baked into my psyche and toodling along going 45 in a 300hp crossover on an on-ramp where traffic is going 65 drives me loving nuts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'll also go slow on the on ramp lead up before the final turn and/or solid line turns to dotted if the person in front of me instills no confidence that they know what the gas pedal is so I can accelerate to highway speed normally and get into a center or passing lane to avoid the traffic snarl in the exit lane they just caused.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think I’m gonna trade my 86 for a minivan and another Miata

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A MIRACLE posted:

I think I’m gonna trade my 86 for a minivan and another Miata

Good choice!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/coryzapatka/status/1508920149243576330?s=21&t=ssjxL84A1JQ3mfodO5YqPA

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

39 thousand United States dollars for a god drat HRV holy hell

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Guinness posted:

The street price on the integra is going to be ridiculous.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guinness posted:

i'd consider long and hard whether i wanted a HRV for free

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i'd consider long and hard whether i wanted a HRV for free

I'm not sure if it's US consumers or Honda executives that are to blame for them replacing the beloved Fit with the HRV of all things.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm not sure if it's US consumers or Honda executives that are to blame for them replacing the beloved Fit with the HRV of all things.

Typically don't have an opinion on cars but that is a travesty.

Semi-related: the 2022 Rav4 is basically ok right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

bit of both: US consumers prefer the HRV to the Fit, Honda execs like making money and the HRV is higher margin so why would they cannibalize its sales?

last year, Honda sold 120,000 HRVs in the US :stare:
Best year on record for the Fit was 80k in an overall bigger sales year in 08.

I thought the HRV would beat out marginally, but drat that is not even close.

edit: typical AI style post: if the Fit was so god drat beloved how come nobody bought one?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Well I’m minus one 2022 Gladiator Rubicon and plus one 2022 Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4.

It’s really nice.

The night vision / animal detection worked as advertised as a family of deer crossed the road.

I don’t hate the heads up display but I’m slightly to tall for it.

I tried to talk my wife into an Alfa Stelvio but she wanted something bigger.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Typically don't have an opinion on cars but that is a travesty.

Semi-related: the 2022 Rav4 is basically ok right?

My mother in law has the hybrid model with top end trim and it's gutless, but otherwise really nice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davecrazy posted:

I don’t hate the heads up display but I’m slightly to tall for it.

I assume you've adjusted the HUD as much as possible - most of them you can adjust the position of the projection but it's not necessarily intuitive to do and requires messing around in menus.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

My mother in law has the hybrid model with top end trim and it's gutless, but otherwise really nice

Interesting thanks. The hybrid model is hard to get right now sadly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

Interesting thanks. The hybrid model is hard to get right now sadly.

If you're looking for an alternative, the CR-V Hybrid is quite good.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume you've adjusted the HUD as much as possible - most of them you can adjust the position of the projection but it's not necessarily intuitive to do and requires messing around in menus.

I fiddled with the settings today and was able to adjust it. Once I was able to fine tune it I like it a lot. It's not distracting when driving normally and its nice to not have to glace all the way down or to the bottom right to see turn directions from the nav or the speedo.

In sport mode the v8 feels like it (though not nearly as loud as the Durango). It pulls hard and easy.

I played around with the driver assist. It easily took gentle curves on the highway at 65 with no issues. Kinda freaky when the car is driving itself with no feet on the pedals and hands barley touching the wheel.

It's a really nice SUV.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

davecrazy posted:

I fiddled with the settings today and was able to adjust it. Once I was able to fine tune it I like it a lot. It's not distracting when driving normally and its nice to not have to glace all the way down or to the bottom right to see turn directions from the nav or the speedo.

In sport mode the v8 feels like it (though not nearly as loud as the Durango). It pulls hard and easy.

I played around with the driver assist. It easily took gentle curves on the highway at 65 with no issues. Kinda freaky when the car is driving itself with no feet on the pedals and hands barley touching the wheel.

It's a really nice SUV.

The Grand Cherokee is a really nice one, probably the best American SUV that we have outside of luxo marquees. Enjoy it!

Maybe I missed but what's the biggest thing that took you away from the Gladiator, or you just didn't like it so it got traded in?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davecrazy posted:

It's a really nice SUV.

Yeah HUD with speed limits and turn-by-turn is really pretty awesome. I was skeptical at first but it's a great feature. Not at all obtrusive and very convenient to use. I don't think I'd actively seek it out as a must have, but as a $1K option or something like that I would be tempted.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Inner Light posted:

The Grand Cherokee is a really nice one, probably the best American SUV that we have outside of luxo marquees. Enjoy it!

Maybe I missed but what's the biggest thing that took you away from the Gladiator, or you just didn't like it so it got traded in?

My wife had a '16 Wrangler when we got together and I had my '03 Mach 1. By the time baby 4 was on the way she got rid of the Wrangler and we got a Traverse to fit all the kids. The Traverse was fine, but it bored me to tears. Eventually I got rid of the Mustang and got a Durango SRT which made the Traverse expendable. Since my wife sacrificed the Wrangler for the sake of the family we agreed the Durango would be the load all the kids up car (I have an '18 Ford Fusion from my job for general commuting) and she could get a new Wrangler. She went to the dealer and fell in love with the Gladiator instead so she got that.

3 months of living with that she decided she didn't like it.

Her main complaints were the cramped cabin (she's 5'1" and not a large person at all so I don't get that one), the length, the lack of creature comforts she got used to in the Traverse such as 360 camera, ventilated seats, etc. The Rubicon trim was pretty full featured and the Uconnect 4c didn't suck, but it still was not as good as the Uconnect 5 in my Durango. The floatiness at highway speeds. The cabin noise even with the hard top with the optional sound proofing. Then her job started wanted people to come back into the office and all the sudden the stick shift wasn't as fun anymore. All of this was a concern of mine before she bought it, but happy wife happy life and she had her heart set on it.

I hated it because it wasn't quite a pickup and not quite a top off go to the beach car, lack of full time 4wd (on account of it being a manual), awful gas mileage for a v6. It got12mpg, that I chalked up to leaving it in 3rd or 4th most of the time and not bothering with 5th or 6th since the throttle response was obviously trash in the overdrive gears. I hated the size as well, drat thing was a foot or so longer then my Durango which is 200" long, but at least could fit the entire family with room for the dog or a suitcase.

If we actually went anywhere even unpaved then maybe it would of been useful but neither of us are into off roading or even going to out of the way wilderness spots on unpaved roads, the whole utility of the car was wasted.

She didn't have to twist my arm to get rid of it. The Grand Cherokee is a poo poo ton of fun.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 2, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Was it this thread where people were talking about custom fit window-shades all around a car? Was it Weathertech or some other brand that made ones that fit really well?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We had a Heatshield for my wife's i3 that was baller.

Problem was it was kind if rigid and large so it didn't stow well. But a heck of a good shade.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Corla Plankun posted:

Was it this thread where people were talking about custom fit window-shades all around a car? Was it Weathertech or some other brand that made ones that fit really well?

We have a set of Weathertech that perfectly fit every window in our 4Runner and they're great. We usually only use the windshield one, but the all arounds have been good for car camping road trips.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Apologies for a basic question, but when you pick up a car from a dealer should you keep the initial drive short? Or is a multi-hour drive ok, with some potential pit stops if necessary to allow the car to cool off etc?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

Apologies for a basic question, but when you pick up a car from a dealer should you keep the initial drive short? Or is a multi-hour drive ok, with some potential pit stops if necessary to allow the car to cool off etc?

Are you asking if a modern mass production car needs a break in period?

No. They do not.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Only if you're buying a Nissan Leaf and fast charging it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Are you asking if a modern mass production car needs a break in period?

No. They do not.

The minor addendum to that is some very high performance cars do have a break in period. But even those that do are more about varying your speed and not romping on it than about short drives.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The affinities here mean even if there was a break in period, the long steady drive is probably going to be better for it. Temperature or any general duty cycling etc. is the stressful part.

The more practical concern is before new car smell kicks in there's actually newest car smell, which was usually given a chance to vent somewhere in the supply chain or shakedowns and test drives but is getting more obnoxious in the hand to mouth nature of buying cars at the moment. It's extra awful plasticizer and glue organic smells. But unless you're sensitive already to it the normal air venting of your car is going to keep it from being noxious.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

The minor addendum to that is some very high performance cars do have a break in period. But even those that do are more about varying your speed and not romping on it than about short drives.

And that’s more “the turbo won’t apply full pressure until it’s ok to do so” so you can’t hurt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

And that’s more “the turbo won’t apply full pressure until it’s ok to do so” so you can’t hurt it.

People have tested the new M3 on a dyno from the factory and after the break in service, and that car, at least doesn't do anything to stop you from launching it repeatedly at mile 0.

Edit: This clearly doesn't apply to "regular" cars and if you're going to buy a car like that, you (presumably) know what you're getting into.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 5, 2022