Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
That's pretty cheap, if you could get it for 700 I'd say you'd be pretty lucky.

Course this could impact your savings for my bike :(

PS Congrats Tsaven Nava on the Wee, getting with the bags for the low price is a nice deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Would I hate my life if I got a 70s or 80s BMW R-series and don't have a garage or shed or anything to work on it in?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jabs posted:

Would I be an idiot to not jump right the hell on this for ~$1000? (I've got ~$600 free today, and payday's Friday. I could probably show up with $700 cash in hand.)

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11789335&postcount=3391
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdhZXvvHc9A

I'd buy the jesus out of that. Of course, I'm the worst person to ask about these things.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

If the SV650 second gen Intiminators will work in the Strom (I have no idea), I've got a brand new set I'll sell you for $150 plus shipping (what I paid).

Different fork sizes, I don't think they would.

What's the Ricor shock going for, Tsaven? I think the Ohlins was up around a thou but I may be confusing that with the top-end shock for the KLR.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Endless Mike posted:

If the SV650 second gen Intiminators will work in the Strom (I have no idea), I've got a brand new set I'll sell you for $150 plus shipping (what I paid).

What he said ^^^, and they've got different part numbers on Ricor's site. That sucks though, I would have totally taken those from you if they'd have worked.

Phy, I'd probably go for this: http://store.ricorshocks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VS650-R-1001

The discount for ADVrider members isn't going to last much longer, but $550 isn't much more then a stock replacement, or a rebuild. Only guy I've found that rebuilds the stock shock is at $470 w/spring. I don't need much fancy, I'll just be using the bike for commuting and daily usage.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Would I hate my life if I got a 70s or 80s BMW R-series and don't have a garage or shed or anything to work on it in?

BMW R bikes are made for ease of maintenence, unlike the newer R series. Any bike is better for working on inside but basic normal airhead maintenence is simple stuff. Change oil, set valves, replace brake pads and fluids, ride, rinse repeat.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jabs posted:

Would I be an idiot to not jump right the hell on this for ~$1000? (I've got ~$600 free today, and payday's Friday. I could probably show up with $700 cash in hand.)

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11789335&postcount=3391
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdhZXvvHc9A

Would the "REBUILT FROM SALVAGE" designation on the new title (once you got through all that fuckery) negatively impact resale value? Obviously not a big deal if you plan on keeping/beating on it, but might be something to consider.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnomad posted:

BMW R bikes are made for ease of maintenence, unlike the newer R series. Any bike is better for working on inside but basic normal airhead maintenence is simple stuff. Change oil, set valves, replace brake pads and fluids, ride, rinse repeat.
Hm. Good to know. I ask, since searching through Craigslist brought these up:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1529873990.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1535421069.html

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Would the "REBUILT FROM SALVAGE" designation on the new title (once you got through all that fuckery) negatively impact resale value? Obviously not a big deal if you plan on keeping/beating on it, but might be something to consider.
There was some discussion here on that very subject last week.
Bottom line is that it does impact the perceived value of the bike, but if you do your homework, you can get a screamin' deal on purchasing a bike - then offer someone a screamin' deal on it when you sell it.

I'd be contacting the guy today and snapping that puppy up as a keeper, if Jendywo hadn't outright laughed at it when I showed it to her last night, with comments about it looking like an undersized, overtyred crotch-rocket-wannabe. I'm still tempted - by the thought that $700 + (some time and energy getting it titled) = $1200-1500 out in April.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A. You can't see it when you ride it.
B. Who cares what it looks like? You're riding a motorcycle in 20 pounds of cow and you have a helmet that makes you look like a bobble head. You're not gonna look cool, may as well give it up and go screaming across some country field or something.

If you buy it you're probably not going to want to sell it, btw.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Z3n posted:

B. Who cares what it looks like? You're riding a motorcycle in 20 pounds of cow and you have a helmet that makes you look like a bobble head. You're not gonna look cool, may as well give it up and go screaming across some country field or something.

I can't be the only person who's checked myself out in a store window while waiting at a light...

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Oakey posted:

I can't be the only person who's checked myself out in a store window while waiting at a light...

I do this all the time.

The thought process always goes something along the lines of "drat I'm sexy" even though my combination of gear makes me look ludicrous, doubly so considering I ride one of if not the ugliest bike out there

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Oakey posted:

I have gone so far as to even pull into a specific lane just to do this. I think I'm riding for all the wrong reasons :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oakey posted:

I do it all the time...but I also understand that to 95% of the general population I'm automatically a moron for even climbing on a motorcycle, much less starting it up and riding it around.

Stupid general population, not understanding what's cool...:argh:

redscare posted:

I do this all the time.

The thought process always goes something along the lines of "drat I'm sexy" even though my combination of gear makes me look ludicrous, doubly so considering I ride one of if not the ugliest bike out there

Yeah but no one ever name dropped a ZZR1200 in a rap video...:haw:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

The first time I saw myself in the mirror wearing my helmet, I thought of that Vandals Song "Disproportionate Head". It didn't help that my mesh jacket was too small, either.

If you're in the Carolina's and looking for a DS, this older KLR650 with 11k looks like a pretty good deal at $1250 OBO. (Not very well advertised.) If this thing was in FL I'd be calling up a friend with a truck this afternoon.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/for/1536423142.html

The cool thing about the '96 and earlier KLR650's is you can add a kicker without too much hassle. Personally I'm not sure I'd really want an "adventure bike" that's electric start only.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

This is all truth in my eyes.

The second compelling argument against it is that Jendywo is more-or-less looking for an increase in horsepower. Gorky (the Maxim) gets sluggish on hills with 34 HP.
I'm not sure that 16 HP is moving in the right direction. =)

I'm tempted as hell to buy the drat thing anyway, and swap out the front rim and tires for a Supermoto setup. The wheelset would cost more than the bike, however.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Z3n posted:

I do it all the time...but I also understand that to 95% of the general population I'm automatically a moron for even climbing on a motorcycle, much less starting it up and riding it around.

Stupid general population, not understanding what's cool...:argh:

In my experience this is not true for attractive 20something women :smug:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Oakey posted:

I haven't found anything that is more effective as a first date then a motorcycle ride in the country. I almost feel dirty when I think back about how many girls I've uh, met, as a result of having the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oakey posted:

Gotta catch them before the MAN gets through to them and they become afraid of anything dangerous. :v: I've been dating my g/f for 5 years, she rides and wants a supermoto, I don't even bother looking anymore. Doesn't get any better than that. :smug:

Tsaven Nava posted:

I haven't found anything that is more effective as a first date then a motorcycle ride in the country. I almost feel dirty when I think back about how many girls I've uh, met, as a result of having the bike.

From reading your ride reports, it seems like just thinking backwards at all should make you feel dirty :xd:

Jabs posted:

This is all truth in my eyes.

The second compelling argument against it is that Jendywo is more-or-less looking for an increase in horsepower. Gorky (the Maxim) gets sluggish on hills with 34 HP.
I'm not sure that 16 HP is moving in the right direction. =)

I'm tempted as hell to buy the drat thing anyway, and swap out the front rim and tires for a Supermoto setup. The wheelset would cost more than the bike, however.

You should look up the crazy Japanese TW200s that have been modded out...they're kinda cult bikes out there. And that sumo conversion looks amazing...I'd ride that thing everywhere.

Just buy that and then as a consolation prize buy her an SV or something. :D

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Guy came to look at my Sportster tonight, and he agreed to come back Friday or Saturday with his truck to come get it. So, it's back to a sportbike for me.

Option 1: Buy my 636 back for less than I sold it to the guy for, and he's only put 1,600 miles on it

Option 2: Find another Hayabusa

Option 3: Buy an RC51 such as this one (and take my chances on a bike I haven't seen in person)

Option 4: ???

Option 5 would have been buy a 2004-ish 600RR or 1000RR because I think they look awesome as gently caress, but used RR prices are retarded.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Hm. Good to know. I ask, since searching through Craigslist brought these up:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1529873990.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1535421069.html

R65's are a bit underpowered and small framed, they are a "girls bike". The R80 sounds like a nice older BMW, it was well cared for and maintained. That's one advanatge to the BMW, the dealer will work on your bike no matter how old it is and can still get parts. It won't be cheap, but neither are payments on the newest and nicest Japanese fastasssumbeechee.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Guy came to look at my Sportster tonight, and he agreed to come back Friday or Saturday with his truck to come get it. So, it's back to a sportbike for me.

Option 1: Buy my 636 back for less than I sold it to the guy for, and he's only put 1,600 miles on it

Option 3: Buy an RC51 such as this one (and take my chances on a bike I haven't seen in person)

Option 5 would have been buy a 2004-ish 600RR or 1000RR because I think they look awesome as gently caress, but used RR prices are retarded.

600RRs are really cheap out here at the moment...there's a salvage title 07 (theft) for sale on barf for 4300$.

The "practical" side says 600/1000RR (which are fantastic bikes), but the heart says buy the RC51. Besides, you've already owned a supersport 600...may as well try something new :)

What else do you have in mind?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Z3n posted:

600RRs are really cheap out here at the moment...there's a salvage title 07 (theft) for sale on barf for 4300$.

The "practical" side says 600/1000RR (which are fantastic bikes), but the heart says buy the RC51. Besides, you've already owned a supersport 600...may as well try something new :)

What else do you have in mind?

That's my old bike.

Every RR I see around here for $5,000 has either been crashed (or 'knocked over in the driveway') or has 18,000 miles on it. Hell they still want $5-6,000 for a non-banana seat F4i!

I'm not really considering too many other bikes. I had a Haybusa which I really liked. I wasn't huge on how high the pegs were on the ZX6R. I had an FZ1 but didn't like the lack of a fairing on the highway. I've considered an R1 but I've been hosed by Yamaha's second gear before, same goes for an R6 I guess.

There's an 07 ZX6R for sale up here with 2-3,000 miles on it up here, but the 636 has a sizable power advantage over it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why is 18000 miles an issue? That's nothing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Why is 18000 miles an issue? That's nothing.

Engine wise, probably not. But everything else it is. Plus when I can get a bike with < 5,000 miles on it for the same price...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

I'm a somewhat experienced rider (grew up with dirt bikes, took the MSF) who is considering a bike to commute on with with some longer rides every once in awhile.

I've been trying to figure out what the lowest emission bikes are (with little success). I want to commute on something that not only gets better mileage but produces less emissions than my car. I've been watching e-bikes for awhile, but obviously they're not quite there yet. Price isn't that important. I was looking into scooters a bit but then read how some of the cheaper engines produce even more emissions than a car.

As emissions figures aren't typically released or discussed AFAIK, you'd probably be best advised to look for something designed with Euro IV compliance in mind - typically a cat or cats + bang up to date EFI system. I believe that Euro IV for motorcycles applies to production years _after_ 2006, so a 2007 or later bike IF running the same setup for European and US (49-state) bikes should presumably be the cleanest. Some earlier production models would have been euro iv compliant on release so as not to have to make massive changes halfway through a ~4 year product cycle. Once you're in that range, you're presumably also going to want to compare fuel consumption.

As already noted, you have to take into account lifecycle costs/impacts - is it better to run an existing motorcycle or build a new one? IIRC, research suggests for cars emobodied energy at the point of delivery to your local stealership can be as much as 25% of the energy the vehicle will use in fuel over its lifetime. There are obvious sustainability and emissions implications.

Comparing it to a car, you also have to also take into account its environmental footprint - the bike simply takes up a lot less space and requires a lot less infrastructure than another car. The energy requirements and environmental impact of the infrastructure required for your car, at least theoretically, are many times that of the bike, and probably bear some relation to the difference in size and the difference in weight of the two different vehicles (a multiple of 4 - 10 then?), but I don't know that anyone's bothered to quantify them.

If you aren't going too far and really want to reduce emissions, a bicycle is almost the only way to travel (other than running) without making a merely incremental difference. Obviously even if you work regular hours, for trips over 20 miles that can be a bit tricky to make fit in with work schedules unless you're Lance Armstrong.

BMW have been running cats and using bosch motronic EFI on their boxer twins (just like their cars) since the late 90s IIRC. So something like an R1150RT or even an R1100RT might tick all the boxes of commuting ability, minimising lifecycle costs (not too new), fuel efficiency (~50 uk mpg) and emissions. Good bikes too, though not "cool" unless you're over 40.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Ninja 250.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not really considering too many other bikes. I had a Haybusa which I really liked. I wasn't huge on how high the pegs were on the ZX6R. I had an FZ1 but didn't like the lack of a fairing on the highway. I've considered an R1 but I've been hosed by Yamaha's second gear before, same goes for an R6 I guess.

It seems like the best option 600 wise would be your old 636. If you want to go bigger, I'd buy one of Honda's baby literbikes...the 929 or the 954. Old enough to be found for cheap, very light, good power, relatively comfortable...great all arounders and very, very easy to ride fast. I sold mine cause I kept getting tickets on it. Great bikes and can be found for fairly cheap.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ninja 250.

How did I miss that suggestion. :xd:

Saga posted:

BMW have been running cats and using bosch motronic EFI on their boxer twins (just like their cars) since the late 90s IIRC. So something like an R1150RT or even an R1100RT might tick all the boxes of commuting ability, minimising lifecycle costs (not too new), fuel efficiency (~50 uk mpg) and emissions. Good bikes too, though not "cool" unless you're over 40.

They're also just completely awesome. They've got a unique feel and are just really, really good bikes. I could never justify the BMW cost, but they're really cool bikes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yes, absolutely. Here's my Salvage Title post:

quote:

1. Salvage vehicles' salvage title can never be laundered. This means that you'll always have one, and the resale value may suffer.

2. Salvage vehicles are vehicles that an insurance company or whomever have written off as a total loss. It could be that the vehicle just had enough cosmetic damage to make it not worth fixing, or it could mean that it got hit by a train. Most states require that the person retitling a salvage vehicle provide a list of what was repaired to get it road-worthy again and also pass an inspection.

What this means to you, is that you want to see this list of exactly what was fixed. This will give you a starting point of things to take a closer look at. Ask for receipts and pictures. If they can't provide them, proceed cautiously.

3. Having said that, there may be things that didn't get documented. Get a Carfax and take the thing to a 3rd party inspection. If the seller won't let you, walk away. They're pulling something.

4. Go in with your eyes open. You are buying a vehicle of questionable history, of questionable condition, and of questionable resale value. If you understand and don't care about all that, go ahead.

5. Goes with all vehicles, but double for salvage ones, if they don't have a clean rebuilt/salvage title in-hand, walk away. Pay attention to the title. The vehicle should already be good to go on the road.

Let me emphasize:

:siren: NEVER BUY ANYTHING THAT HAS AN OUT OF STATE SALVAGE TITLE AND/OR NEEDS TO BE INSPECTED. :siren:

You stand a non-trivial chance of not being able to title the vehicle in your state. If you can't, you are poo poo out of luck. Let the seller deal with the hassle of getting the vehicle road worthy, inspected, and titled, because it is a serious pain in the rear end.

Good luck!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

At least in CA, getting a salvage title vehicle inspected and dealt with isn't bad at all. You take it in, get a brake and light inspection done, and then take it to the CHP who check the VIN numbers, and you get a title. I've done it once before, and will be doing it again in a week or 2. Not difficult, as long as you know what needs to be done. I've bought a few bikes in the midpoint of a salvage inspection, and gotten hellacious deals as a result. A few hours of work and I've gotten good bikes for 1-2k lower than any other bike out there.

The other thing that I'd add to that post is:

There is a difference between "Salvage" and "Total Loss Salvage". Salvage means that the bike was totalled due to damage, and is repairable. Total Loss Salvage means the bike had some core component seriously damaged (usually only applied in cases of cracks to the frame), and is now no longer street registrable. The VIN is blacklisted and it can never be registered again.

Also, for clarity's sake, there is no such thing as a "clean" salvage title. The title is either clean, salvage, or total loss. What you do need to look out for is lienholders or something along those lines that could screw you over.

I don't recommend buying a salvage title bike until you've bought at least a few bikes before or you have a very experienced friend to go along with you. There's a lot of little things you should be looking for and aware of when it comes to salvaged bikes, and any one of those can be the difference between a screaming deal and just getting screwed.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
You don't even need to take it to the CHP. The DMV will do it themselves unless you're missing the frame, engine or emissions sticker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

It seems like the best option 600 wise would be your old 636. If you want to go bigger, I'd buy one of Honda's baby literbikes...the 929 or the 954.

954RR's seem to be rare, and guys still want $5,000 for 929RR's. Gimme a break.

There's an 04 Gixxer (1K) for $6,800 locally! Come on!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

You don't even need to take it to the CHP. The DMV will do it themselves unless you're missing the frame, engine or emissions sticker.

Maybe the DMV people here aren't qualified to check the numbers, who knows.

Stupid DMV. Either way, most of the hassle is getting the appointment sorted out.

Bob Morales posted:

954RR's seem to be rare, and guys still want $5,000 for 929RR's. Gimme a break.

There's an 04 Gixxer (1K) for $6,800 locally! Come on!

Where the christ do you live? I want to sell bikes there, drat.

I'm planning on listing my 06 ZX6R (salvage) for 4000$ish...At the prices in your area I should be able to ship it out and still make more profit :D

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Maybe the DMV people here aren't qualified to check the numbers, who knows.

Stupid DMV. Either way, most of the hassle is getting the appointment sorted out.

I just showed up one morning and got everything sorted in 30 minutes. Maybe your local DMV just sucks :haw:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

At least in CA, getting a salvage title vehicle inspected and dealt with isn't bad at all. You take it in, get a brake and light inspection done, and then take it to the CHP who check the VIN numbers, and you get a title. I've done it once before, and will be doing it again in a week or 2. Not difficult, as long as you know what needs to be done. I've bought a few bikes in the midpoint of a salvage inspection, and gotten hellacious deals as a result. A few hours of work and I've gotten good bikes for 1-2k lower than any other bike out there.

In Michigan, if you don't have an in-state title the inspectors are under no obligation to inspect the bike. Most of them won't because they don't feel like trying to chase down the other states records to ensure it's not stolen.

I guess what I was trying to get at was if there's any irregularities with the title at all, it complicates things to a factor of 10. It's bad enough with a non-salvage title, but when you throw on the salvage status, it gets really crazy.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Bob Morales posted:

There's an 07 ZX6R for sale up here with 2-3,000 miles on it up here, but the 636 has a sizable power advantage over it.

Triumph Daytona 675 should be in that neighborhood with the added bonus of not seeing yourself every time you ride.

Click here for the full 1280x1061 image.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

Where the christ do you live? I want to sell bikes there, drat.

I'm planning on listing my 06 ZX6R (salvage) for 4000$ish...At the prices in your area I should be able to ship it out and still make more profit :D

Michigan.

frozenphil posted:

Triumph Daytona 675 should be in that neighborhood with the added bonus of not seeing yourself every time you ride.

Click here for the full 1280x1061 image.

Wouldn't mind one, but seeing one for sale is just as rare as seeing one on the street.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

In Michigan, if you don't have an in-state title the inspectors are under no obligation to inspect the bike. Most of them won't because they don't feel like trying to chase down the other states records to ensure it's not stolen.

I guess what I was trying to get at was if there's any irregularities with the title at all, it complicates things to a factor of 10. It's bad enough with a non-salvage title, but when you throw on the salvage status, it gets really crazy.

Ahh, I see. Out here, the CHP does the inspections, so they've got a civic duty to get the job done. Which means 2 days of appointments a month. :haw:

redscare posted:

I just showed up one morning and got everything sorted in 30 minutes. Maybe your local DMV just sucks :haw:

Probably because you already owned the bike. I'm presently registering an out of state salvage frame to an in state engine, and that caused a fair bit of confusion at the DMV.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
IT IS MINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm surprised how much bigger it is than the Virago.