Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Covok posted:

Free food? I don't work in the big four anymore. I don't get free food anymore. I think it's just because of stress induced eating and the fact that I'm not able to exercise as much. Can't even sneak it in the middle of the day because I have a client facing job now.

That’s rough. I’m eating like trash and barely exercising and trying to keep weight off, but at least I’m not paying to eat like trash I guess. At least there’s just two weeks to the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

That’s rough. I’m eating like trash and barely exercising and trying to keep weight off, but at least I’m not paying to eat like trash I guess. At least there’s just two weeks to the deadline.

I think it's really just a big 4 that does the free dinner stuff. I've literally never seen that after leaving. We do get a free my lunch once a month.

I usually just go home to my parents for dinner though. So that's fine. The last two weeks have been rough because they've been in Italy. So I've been eating like crap.

It's worth noting I'm usually out of work by 8 and often out before then. Because, when you're out of the big four, your hours do get a little bit more normal.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Covok posted:

Am I the only person who puts on a lot of weight during busy season?
Apparently, no. This year-end was rough. I didn't gain weight over the last 3, but I worked 3.5mo in 2mo this year, so, yeah. Lots of dinners and lunches provided by work, stuck at my desk for 12hr+... Oh and I'm getting old, so I'm sure my metabolism is slowing down... It's time to get back into the gym.

We aren't big4, but we worked a fuckton and management was 1,000% aware my teammate and I were the reason why the two sets of financials got released on time and without errors. A few hundred bucks in food was a small cost to buy more time from us and hopefully incentivize us to not quit. We also both got large raises and bonuses, and my teammate got a well deserved promotion. They're pretty well aware that we likely could go out into the market and get paid similar (likely not more, according to a recruiter friend + glassdoor, I may even be overpaid) for less work...but...I'm still enjoying this, despite my pages of bitching about poo poo lol.

Covok posted:

I think it's really just a big 4 that does the free dinner stuff. I've literally never seen that after leaving. We do get a free my lunch once a month.

I usually just go home to my parents for dinner though. So that's fine. The last two weeks have been rough because they've been in Italy. So I've been eating like crap.

It's worth noting I'm usually out of work by 8 and often out before then. Because, when you're out of the big four, your hours do get a little bit more normal.
My team is the only one that pays for dinner, generally. We do the consolidated reporting, and almost everyone in our side of the management chain is ex-big4.

Our big4 folks work ~0800~20-2200 depending. Often they leave after dinner. It depends if the partner is in town or not, ha.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 2, 2019

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Tax season makes me fat too :saddowns::hf::saddowns:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Haha small firms work more reasonable hours.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lol for breakfast I had a gigantic baguette, like 100g of cream cheese, left over beef, and four chocolate bars.

Yes I stress eat and gain weight why do you ask?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jokes on you, I lost 10 pounds my last Big 4 busy season because I was so stressed I could barely eat

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Haha small firms work more reasonable hours.

Depends on the firm. My last firm was unbelievably stressful and we were often constantly working late. My current firm is a lot easier and, for example, I left at 6:40 today. Because I was my last appointment and my parents just came home from vacation. And I was actually pretty caught up with my work.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
My boss is doing comp time in place of overtime and is a sole proprietor. Probably a good idea to address that, no?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Democratic Pirate posted:

Jokes on you, I lost 10 pounds my last Big 4 busy season because I was so stressed I could barely eat

Being a functional alcoholic is usually enough to push the scales back to the weight gain side. Have you tried that

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Covok posted:

Depends on the firm. My last firm was unbelievably stressful and we were often constantly working late. My current firm is a lot easier and, for example, I left at 6:40 today. Because I was my last appointment and my parents just came home from vacation. And I was actually pretty caught up with my work.

I forgot the sarcasm tags.

The perfect busy season diet consists of Adderall and energy drinks.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I usually dont drink after work but i def do in march and april, tonite its champagne cheers friends 11 days left

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I quit drinking in December and I swear it’s like I’ve had an anxiety disorder without even knowing it

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I quit drinking in December and I swear it’s like I’ve had an anxiety disorder without even knowing it

Alcohol oftentimes masks anxiety disorders which leads to further alcoholism the more you know

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Audax posted:

Alcohol oftentimes masks anxiety disorders which leads to further alcoholism the more you know

Oh I’m well aware, p sure I was dealing with things fairly unhealthily. Just really noticing the anxiety way more this year. Going home at 9 and sitting on my couch sweating because I’m worried I left too early then getting sent more work at 11 that needs to be done tonight for some reason. Looks like we are just about past that now, partnerships need to be wrapped by 3/31 for the most part.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Ah gotcha. Just remember man, it'll be ok. It's just taxes - we're not surgeons - no one is going to die because a workpaper wasn't done today. People in public accounting really like to make you think otherwise.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Audax posted:

Ah gotcha. Just remember man, it'll be ok. It's just taxes - we're not surgeons - no one is going to die because a workpaper wasn't done today. People in public accounting really like to make you think otherwise.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Audax posted:

Clearly this specimen is not manager or principal material

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Audax posted:

loving a. My OCD doesn't really allow me to do that, but I try to enforce the idea upon people.

I have to write a short memo to the CAO and VP today but I got a project done by staying late last night (10hr, not bad). The dept who's work this is quoted 6mo with a dedicated FTE, CAO said no loving way. It took me around 7-10 days (3wks, but only 4 days full time, others were around a half day or less). And that was with me doing all the system processing work too vs having another dept do it because they're over worked as gently caress as it is, twice, once in test and then again in production.

Only took 3yrs to get this thing done. Others just let it go, and burned time making the outcome right. That was a really painful process vs fixing the underlying data. My time was surely less time burn than over the last 12 quarter ends.

I also changed all the related data requests so I don't have to re work all of the data to build the financial statement disclosures. Holy poo poo. How did my predecessors not do this? It took a couple conversations and it was done... loving hell.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Pharohman777 posted:

How should I go about finding an entry level accounting job? I've been floundering for for the past 2 years after I got my bachelors in accounting because I can't get work on LinkedIn and I don't know how else to look for a job

I have no job experience, and I like accounting, but its really depressing and I have almost completely stooped searching for jobs out of frustration and ennui.

I had no luck leaving my last job until I started working with a staffing agency. l was able to get a job through them in about two weeks that checked all my boxes. As long as you are honest about what you need and don’t pick obviously terrible positions you should be ok. The agency I worked with was very up front about what was out there and what they were willing to pay.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
This feels like the right place to post about quarter end financial reporting

What's even the point of having senior colleagues, when I started I thought I would be able to learn from them and they would help me develop and grow but instead I explain the same things to them over and over and over and over

This is my last quarter where I had no clue what was happening last year so my historic knowledge of our gently caress ups quarter over quarter is fairly complete, but it pains me to no end when I point out a problem with our 1Q processes and the people who taught me how to press the button in the workbooks at that point ask me what we did to address the issue last year

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoshi posted:

This feels like the right place to post about quarter end financial reporting

What's even the point of having senior colleagues, when I started I thought I would be able to learn from them and they would help me develop and grow but instead I explain the same things to them over and over and over and over

This is my last quarter where I had no clue what was happening last year so my historic knowledge of our gently caress ups quarter over quarter is fairly complete, but it pains me to no end when I point out a problem with our 1Q processes and the people who taught me how to press the button in the workbooks at that point ask me what we did to address the issue last year
Sounds familiar... We have a lot of highly compensated drones and a very small amount of people who can use their brains.

E: There are plenty of changes coming in my dept. We're outsourcing a bunch of functions and then installing a new ERP which will streamline a massive amount of things - procurement, AP, AR, accounting, line of business reporting, GAAP and NAIC reporting. Its a little funny that we're doing the outsourcing first. The project team thinks the order is backward as the ERP replaces many of the outsourced functions anyway, but Sr Mgr (read: CEO, not CAO) wants it done like this. My now-old manager was promoted into one of the two directors of overhaul (title: director, Corp actg - lol) and it sounds like I'll be moving to the project team ~2.5mo a quarter starting later this quarter.

New project came down from, get this, the CEO & Sr VP HR. Please figure out how people sign up for post retirement benefits. Why doesn't the Sr VP HR go to his goddamn VP Benefits? Because he doesn't trust them to get decent answers being that whole dept is fuckig worthless? Yes. Goddamn.

The consultants for the outsourcing and ERP (who also think we're doing it backward) were very surprised to learn how many HR functions are handled by Finance... Things largely related to EE hours tracking, payroll, and benefits.

/rant. Its time to go face the idiots again!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 10, 2019

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Reading cynically, it’d be good for you to be in the project team because I bet a number of those highly compensated drones won’t be compensated after their old processes get replaced with a new ERP.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
As a highly compensated drone I am appalled at your characterization of me and my work flow. I'm only on SA 10% of my time. Reddit is the other 90%.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Democratic Pirate posted:

Reading cynically, it’d be good for you to be in the project team because I bet a number of those highly compensated drones won’t be compensated after their old processes get replaced with a new ERP.
Winter is coming. Word has it that they'll be laid off before then. I'm pretty happy for that. I think I'll be moving up a pay grade and changing titles, my old manager, now project director, and my new manager both mentioned it separately to me today. We'll see.

rant:

I asked one of those drones for a real brief description of a large amount of accounts that they reconcile. These descriptions are supposed to be on every loving account per the reconciling rules. A month later, I got descriptions for 11 of 300 accounts. ELEVEN! Dude's manager was equally unresponsive...

That whole team has really soured toward my team since we took all of their audited footnotes away at year-end, because we had 100% re-do them every quarter in the past forever. Same issues. Every quarter. And then when we started requesting updates on the status of some of the divisional entries that this team books (why the gently caress doesn't the division post the formatted JE workbook themselves? Job creation...till this fall!) because the CAO wants his status reports just like always (we just didn't do it for Jan close because holy gently caress we were busy with the two consolidated audits and unconsolidated broker-dealer audits...), the manager has been flipping poo poo about being rushed. Um. No.

/rant

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Moral of the story, industry is the worst?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Moral of the story, industry is the worst?
Tradeoffs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm looking to get my CPA and trying to pick a study course. As someone who learns best just reading a textbook and gets nothing out of lectures, which would you recommend? All the reviews I've found aren't very in-depth and all appear to be sponsored.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

ItBreathes posted:

I'm looking to get my CPA and trying to pick a study course. As someone who learns best just reading a textbook and gets nothing out of lectures, which would you recommend? All the reviews I've found aren't very in-depth and all appear to be sponsored.

I used Gleim and Ninja (way back when it was still relatively small). My results, Lowest score was far-77 best was reg -92, never had to retake any. I am pretty bad at test taking in general. Results may vary.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'd say Ninja. It costs $67/month, has books/notes/MCQ, pretty much everything but the lectures.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

As a former Gleim Publications editorial assistant, gotta go Gleim. Becker doesn’t also provide the opportunity to learn to fly a plane.

Also the videos aren’t great and the writing and MCQs are pretty good, so it’s not a bad system.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I’m currently working through the exam with roger for lectures and supplementing with ninja mcq, if you aren’t a lecture person ninja should be fine to use on its own.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The Gleim mcqs were super hard compared to the real test, so I appreciated feeling like I had cheat codes on while sitting the CPA exam. If you get passing scores on the Gleim practice tests, you are probably overprepared.

If Dean Passard is still doing the videos for Gleim, I also recommend that. The Jamaican accent helps the dry material go down a little easier.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 13, 2019

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Simpsons Reference posted:

I'd say Ninja. It costs $67/month, has books/notes/MCQ, pretty much everything but the lectures.
I used Roger and then Ninja. Ninja got me over the hump and done.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I'm a Gleim man too, helped me pass all my exams in the first run through. Also, the access till you pass is legit. I bought the program 2 years before I started taking exams and they honored it all the way through.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

One more day, fellow tax friends! We can do it wooooo!

Covok
May 27, 2013

kill me

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

You did it, boys (and girls), you'll never pay for your own drink in this town again

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Covok posted:

kill me

Me first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm gonna drink so much wine in like 3 hours. My list is done. I'm here for last minute extensions that come in.

I used Ninja to pass. I wish I'd failed and I'd still be an EA at the lovely accounting firm around the corner that's so slow people get weekends off.

Even if you go with another study group at least get the ninja notes and copy them by hand twice each section. It's magic.