Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Crilluminatisp!

Also Space Raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Heathens

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

JFairfax posted:

Ahahah, those are definitely not my crisps, just popped up when I googled lobster crisps.

Personally these are my favourites:

Ham & Pickle, you heatheninfidel!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Seabrooks have never been the same since they lost their quotation marks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seabrooks are still pretty nice though, chunky and flavorful.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm living in Scotland now and its all just loving Mackies if you want fancy crisps. Problem is they're shite.
Scot food is otherwise great, (moderately) better quality, (much) better portions, Haggis is delicious and they will make you a cheese sandwich in this country only the bread is burgers and its deep fried so they can almost do no wrong culinarily as far as I'm concerned. Mackie's crisps are poo poo though, sorry. Icecream is alright though.

Also Scots don't seem to eat Cod but I don't know if thats just because they're extinct now but I am firmly in favour of the superiority of the white race as long as it applies only to battered fish.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Also Scots don't seem to eat Cod but I don't know if thats just because they're extinct now but I am firmly in favour of the superiority of the white race as long as it applies only to battered fish.

Cod is a flavourless bottom-feeding fish. Why would you even bother when its delicious friend "haddock" exists?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Bunch of fat fucks talking about crisps itt. Stop putting money in the pockets of multinational conglomerates, buy a locally sourced in-season fruit as a tasty treat instead.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

nopantsjack posted:

Because we have cheap and plentiful haddock, and why would you take cod over it's objectively superior comrade?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Seabrooks are still pretty nice though, chunky and flavorful.

Seabrooks are made with the cheapest possible ingredients and are absolutely vile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

Bunch of fat fucks talking about crisps itt. Stop putting money in the pockets of multinational conglomerates, buy a locally sourced in-season fruit as a tasty treat instead.

Pretty sure fruit doesn't come in prawn cocktail flavor.

Jedit posted:

Seabrooks are made with the cheapest possible ingredients and are absolutely vile.

Look I basically just want crunchy salt that makes your breath smell so it's fine for me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Where are the variants for bread, boat and pissflaps chat?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
gently caress.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I've never eaten monster munch.

could be worse: the scottish thread seems to have long terrible pissflaps derails every week

generally caused by that guy that has him on his ignore list yet replies to everything he posts anyway

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Oh god don't start him off ffs

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

gently caress.

How's the restraining order coming along?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Pretty sure fruit doesn't come in prawn cocktail flavor.

That's what GM is for. Strawberries with the taste of cream built in, literal beefsteak tomatoes and Brussels sprouts that eat themselves so we don't have to.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Because we have cheap and plentiful haddock, and why would you take cod over it's objectively superior comrade?

Haddock smoked or in Cullen Skink is a fine fish indeed. Battered, however? Preposterous.

As a vague attempt to avoid foodchat: What do you all reckon will come first: A) the complete sale of the state and social services or B) WW3? As an optimistic new years prediction I reckon WW3 will get us before G4S buys the moon.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Cod is better than haddock.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

nopantsjack posted:

As a vague attempt to avoid foodchat: What do you all reckon will come first: A) the complete sale of the state and social services or B) WW3? As an optimistic new years prediction I reckon WW3 will get us before G4S buys the moon.

I don't think the situation in Russia will get much worse, but then I really didn't expect them annexing a bunch of poo poo and having a severe lurch into even more severe nationalism at this point last year so I'm gonna go with the ruble is gonna slide again in the new year with oil prices and putey pute will be forced to either pull out, double down or try another landgrab somewhere before the cash reserve dry up and the business/state interests he represents coup him.

Not WW3, but certainly the chance of an accidental chain-fuckup frying us all alive rose a bit over the last year, so things can't be all that bad!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TinTower posted:

gently caress.

All right, spill the beans. Is he trying to sell you one of his famous investment opportunities?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
coley is the best fish for fish and chips, thanks

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
2015 Predictions:

GE

Labour minority government w/ loose coalition with SNP / Lib votes
Extremely dysfunctional parliament
Libs get ritually slaughtered a la Apocalypto
Lots of angry bloo bloo blooing about English representation
UKIP takes 3-4 million GE votes

Economy

Continued anaemic growth 1-2%
Cuts
Probably no Euro crisis unless major world crisis occurs with China's economy or similar

Foreign Policy

Labour is forced into standoffish policy with Europe, increasing our contemptible appearance in Europe
Ed will be a massive soft touch and probably get slammed for making GBS threads up the 'special relationship' and being soft on Russia/Islamic Terror/whatever else is next

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nopantsjack posted:

WW3 will be the clash of corporation-states, like WW1 was the clash of empires.

Which board of directors will you be pressured into the meat grinder by? I can hardly wait! :sun:

(Service guarantees services! Enlist today for healthcare, post, and education!)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like random Vietnamese sewer fish vaguely describe as 'white fish'.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Disinterested posted:

Probably no Euro crisis unless major world crisis occurs with China's economy or similar

Your timing is interesting here given that Greece just blew up again.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

I fully expect things like that to happen, but I don't think it will lead to a generalised European crisis. The Greek economy is doomed to loving limp on in a zombie state for as long as it's in the Euro.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
You'd probably need both Spain and Italy to go to really poo poo up the EZ, and the only chance they do that at the same time is if someone manages to blow them up at the same time. There's far too much at stake for the EZ to be allowed to actually die and not just get wound down as right-wing rejection of them becomes major political capital. Everyone's going to be on life support so the Germans can get rich, the French can farm, and we can moan.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

"Blew up" might be overstating it, but it's interesting to see how hysterically the money markets have reacted to the vaguest possibility that Greece might not be willing to feed a whole generation into the austerity grinder.

If nothing else it's very revealing of how nothing has actually been addressed or fixed in the wake of the Horrendous Debt Kablooie - indeed how we're probably in a worse position than we were in 2008, because we completely pissed away the chance to fix things along with the ability to do so with our "solution" to the last one. If Greece really do rebel and take the nuclear option (leave the Euro, devalue the new Drachma, and ride it out for five years) then that's probably the end of the Euro. It'll hurt them, and hurt them badly, but at this point perma-austerity is probably hurting them worse.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If Greece really do rebel and take the nuclear option (leave the Euro, devalue the new Drachma, and ride it out for five years) then that's probably the end of the Euro. It'll hurt them, and hurt them badly, but at this point perma-austerity is probably hurting them worse.

Unfortunately this has become a right-left issue in European politics, rather than a technical question about economics. As a result, Greece is taking one squarely in the rear end for the team.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
As far as Eurozone left wing parties go, Syriza are quite interesting. Not sure they can influence the likes of the IMF and the ECB though.

The markets panicking today isn't that big of a deal really, I'd be more worried if they didn't.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Unfortunately this has become a right-left issue in European politics, rather than a technical question about economics. As a result, Greece is taking one squarely in the rear end for the team.

I don't think it's as clear-cut as right-left (as always with European matters). Obviously the Right are broadly pro-Euro as it's a) good for business and b) a handy way of beating up proles. The Left don't really have a clear angle of attack on it because most of them end up in BLOODY FOREIGNERS territory really quickly. However we're now seeing a radical Rightist movement across Europe (from Golden Dawn to UKIP) that are vehemently and virulently anti-Europe, perhaps unsurprisingly given the pain the Euro has undoubtedly caused in poorer nations.

So instead you're getting this weird, fragmented series of strange bedfellows both nationally and internationally, and to be honest that worries me more than straight-up Neo-Nazi stuff because there's all sorts of unintended consequences likely to fall out of it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think it's as clear-cut as right-left (as always with European matters). Obviously the Right are broadly pro-Euro as it's a) good for business and b) a handy way of beating up proles. The Left don't really have a clear angle of attack on it because most of them end up in BLOODY FOREIGNERS territory really quickly. However we're now seeing a radical Rightist movement across Europe (from Golden Dawn to UKIP) that are vehemently and virulently anti-Europe, perhaps unsurprisingly given the pain the Euro has undoubtedly caused in poorer nations.

So instead you're getting this weird, fragmented series of strange bedfellows both nationally and internationally, and to be honest that worries me more than straight-up Neo-Nazi stuff because there's all sorts of unintended consequences likely to fall out of it.

What I really mean is that it's actually fairly hard to find a pro-Europe anti-Euro platform in some European states, and extra hard to find a left platform of that type. And a lot of people will call you a xenophobe or something idiotic like that, not that it matters.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Which board of directors will you be pressured into the meat grinder by? I can hardly wait! :sun:

(Service guarantees services! Enlist today for healthcare, post, and education!)

I'm siding with disney their futuristic armour will have iron man branding

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

See, this is actually okay, because it means rainy cyberpunk dystopian cities filled with neon skyscrapers and titanic arcologies will happen.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If nothing else it's very revealing of how nothing has actually been addressed or fixed in the wake of the Horrendous Debt Kablooie - indeed how we're probably in a worse position than we were in 2008, because we completely pissed away the chance to fix things along with the ability to do so with our "solution" to the last one.

No no, we've had six years to shore up the European banking system and harden it against the potential fallout, so there shouldn't be any problem...

[Deutsche Bank's] leverage ratio, on a fully loaded basis according to CRR/CRD4, increased to 3.4% as of 30 June 2014 compared to 2.4% as of 31 December 2013.

Société Générale’s ... leverage ratio, which compares capital to total assets, was at 3.5% at the end of [2013]

...oh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

See, this is actually okay, because it means rainy cyberpunk dystopian cities filled with neon skyscrapers and titanic arcologies will happen.

Apart from the arcologies, exactly what reality are you living in where this isn't already the case?

Disinterested posted:

What I really mean is that it's actually fairly hard to find a pro-Europe anti-Euro platform in some European states, and extra hard to find a left platform of that type. And a lot of people will call you a xenophobe or something idiotic like that, not that it matters.

To be honest a pro-Europe (in the current free movement of people and capital) anti-Euro (or more widely anti-centralised/federalist) platform would be self-contradictory for a leftist party, because it exposes the non-capitalist classes to massive exploitation while removing one of the strongest barriers to that exploitation (a centralised currency, or rather the more unified political control it represents, is one of the few ways to reverse the upward transfer of wealth the current situation causes, even if right now that control is being used for the opposite outcome).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apart from the arcologies, exactly what reality are you living in where this isn't already the case?

I don't have robot limbs yet. I didn't sign up for the boring story driven cyberpunk future. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't have robot limbs yet. I didn't sign up for the boring story driven cyberpunk future. :colbert:

Well that's your own fault for not signing up for Afghanistan and Iraq. Just think of IEDs as cyborg augmentation opportunities.

• Locked thread