Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Capt.Whorebags posted:

So Scromo has just announced that we're receiving 4 million extra Pfizer doses from UK in the next month. Along with the 0.5m from Singapore, maybe the odds are in fact shortening for an election in the next couple of months. He will go with a narrative of "on track for re-opening" or similar with the usual "don't change horses now" crap.

There's a trip to Washington for defence meetings in either Oct/Nov so that may be a factor in possible times for a poll.

He'll "open the country up" then quickly roll an election to ride the sudden high as boomers and tradies are allowed to slam pints of tooheys and have bets on "the dogs" in the sports bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
so what do we do when in two (or six) months when the vaccines have worn off? the stuff coming out of israel seems to indicate that this 'well, screw it, open it up' plan will just kick us in the teeth soon anyway. the lockdown sucks and i'm losing my mind but i don't think this is the right way forward. do we just keep getting boosters every 2-3 months? do vulnerable people who can't get vaccinated or have lung issues or whatever just have to kind of deal with it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/infections-up-but-hospitalisations-down-britain-s-post-vax-hopes-20210831-p58nnd.html

UK is a guide to what's coming if it'd open it all up. Deaths and hospitalisations are way down sure because of 80% vaccination rate of all eligible but still got 100 people dying a day. Thats..... twice a bad flu season maybe for the UK?

Also factor into this that AstroZenica looks like reduces efficacy very slowly if at all and within two months is in fact better than Pfizer long term and the UK was mostly AZ

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 3, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
it's fine I'm sure we'll build extra capacity into our health system to deal with it so there will be no flow on effects

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

so what do we do when in two (or six) months when the vaccines have worn off? the stuff coming out of israel seems to indicate that this 'well, screw it, open it up' plan will just kick us in the teeth soon anyway. the lockdown sucks and i'm losing my mind but i don't think this is the right way forward. do we just keep getting boosters every 2-3 months? do vulnerable people who can't get vaccinated or have lung issues or whatever just have to kind of deal with it?

This is my biggest concern- By the time "everyone" is vaxxed, what about those (like myself) who were in the first intake? We're gonna be forever chasing this thing round and round playing catch up.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

StrangeThing posted:

I agree.

I have my own thoughts about that which is: ideally, zero deaths. That isn't realistic though. So, is the next realistic outcome to have a CMR on par with previous flu outbreaks in Australia?

That isn't ideal, but it seems realistic to me. Open to other thoughts.

Low levels? Sure.

curious as to why zero deaths is unrealistic when states outside of nsw and vic seem to be handling it just fine?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The things is, the problem is, and bear with me here, but, the issue is really that all these questions are too hard and I think I speak for all of us here when I say we all want to leave the house, and also I don't loving care about the edge cases like the immunocompromised, children, waning immunity, etc because, and I'm going to tie this back into where I began, because all that's just too hard to deal with.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

curious as to why zero deaths is unrealistic when states outside of nsw and vic seem to be handling it just fine?

Two-week quarantines to cross state borders is not a realistic long-term solution.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

They (probably) don't "wear off" entirely - the recent studies suggest Pfizer's protection against symptomatic illness wears down, but they should still be effective at largely preventing hospitalisation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/infections-up-but-hospitalisations-down-britain-s-post-vax-hopes-20210831-p58nnd.html

UK is a guide to what's coming if it'd open it all up. Deaths and hospitalisations are way down sure because of 80% vaccination rate of all eligible but still got 100 people dying a day. Thats..... twice a bad flu season maybe for the UK?

Pretty much bang on - UK averages about 40-something flu deaths per year if you smooth it out across the whole year.

But flu deaths don't happen smoothly across the year, they're largely clustered in winter, and the fact that the UK is recording this many deaths at what should be the safest time of year doesn't bode well for four months' time.

CelestialScribe posted:

Two-week quarantines to cross state borders is not a realistic long-term solution.

Not just two week quarantines, but constant snap lockdowns whenever a case trickles through, which will happen more and more frequently once NSW and Victoria open up and start seeing much higher case numbers.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

freebooter posted:

But flu deaths don't happen smoothly across the year, they're largely clustered in winter, and the fact that the UK is recording this many deaths at what should be the safest time of year doesn't bode well for four months' time.

Hopefully this might one thing in our favor - a slightly seasonal aspect coming into summer may slightly curtail spread and buy us time to vaccinate before next winter.

Not a race though.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

freebooter posted:

They (probably) don't "wear off" entirely - the recent studies suggest Pfizer's protection against symptomatic illness wears down, but they should still be effective at largely preventing hospitalisation.

what's the definition of symptomatic illness? there's so much crap to wade through online that it's hard to find stuff that isn't being pushed by weird q-types. the stuff i'm curious about is how it relates to the weird issues one can get from covid. the brain and organ symptoms, etc. sure, people might not be ending up in hospital, but if everyone's wandering around asymptomatically while carrying something that might still mess you up for a very long time in unexpected ways, that you might carry unknowingly (or over-confidently) to vulnerable friends and family, well...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Horizon Burning posted:

what's the definition of symptomatic illness?
like illness with symptoms? coughing sneezing etc

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Odds for a 2021 election is a 4 to 1 bet.

FYI Scomo winning the leadership spill was a 10 to 1 bet versus Dutton, Bishop.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Good Crikey piece on the division between the locked down states and the free states:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/09/03/two-counries-border-closures/

Horizon Burning posted:

what's the definition of symptomatic illness? there's so much crap to wade through online that it's hard to find stuff that isn't being pushed by weird q-types. the stuff i'm curious about is how it relates to the weird issues one can get from covid. the brain and organ symptoms, etc. sure, people might not be ending up in hospital, but if everyone's wandering around asymptomatically while carrying something that might still mess you up for a very long time in unexpected ways, that you might carry unknowingly (or over-confidently) to vulnerable friends and family, well...

You're not going to get long COVID unless you also get symptomatic illness, I think. And it's unusual in the first place.

I agree that it's not ideal. I don't want to catch the loving thing whether I'm vaccinated or not. Unfortunately in the long run it doesn't seem like we'll have a choice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

thatbastardken posted:

The only possible way that can happen is extreme lockdowns at the mere hint of an infection and a worldwide eradication of Covid. Which - in this case use VIC as an example rather than the clusterfuck of NSW and just LOLNO to worldwide eradication - still may not work because Delta is proven to be pretty good at escaping and wont be acceptable once a large proportion of the population is vaccinated.

Zero deaths wont happen

quote:

what's the definition of symptomatic illness?

Quick and not exactly great definition - illness that affects the person with detectable symptoms.

quote:

they should still be effective at largely preventing hospitalisation.

So far I'm not aware of any real evidence effectiveness in keeping people out of hospital wanes to any real degree. Pfizer and AstroZenica are both over 90% efficacy for that. For being vaccinated I suspect the real issue would be long covid and so far.... doesnt really look like thats a thing for vaccinated people?

quote:

I agree that it's not ideal. I don't want to catch the loving thing whether I'm vaccinated or not. Unfortunately in the long run it doesn't seem like we'll have a choice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 3, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

StrangeThing posted:

Sure. But it's unrealistic, and will decimate the tourism industry. That's a real thing to consider.

Mate, two words: plague resorts.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

why not? it works to protect people, if you've got an urgent need to cross (or are an elite footballer lol) you can get an exemption. it's inconvenient for travel but there's nothing stopping that being the new normal.

why is it always that the new normal involves the vulnerable dying rather than an inconvenience to the wealthy?

:thunk:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Interstate commerce is mostly either train or truck.

Just have them switch the engine/cab at the border with no human interaction with the incoming people.

Then the drivers who were bringing goods in turn around and leave, while the "clean" drivers take the goods the rest of the way. Or to the next border, where the process occurs again.

EDIT: and, of course, the leaving drivers take the poo poo which was being delivered into their state so they aren't just driving back without a load.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 3, 2021

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Freight by giant cable car networks

No humans required.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
just launch the freight out of a cannon from one city to the next samurai pizza cats style

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

just launch the freight out of a cannon from one city to the next samurai pizza cats style

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Let's get some Elon hyperloops in AU ayy

thatbastardken posted:

I would like to visit my family in WA as a fully vacced Victorian over Christmas without having to quarantine

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

And I'm pretty sure this is exactly what will happen. It doesn't matter what was "agreed to" at national cabinet, none of that's binding. The states have acted independently all throughout the pandemic and that's not about to change now.

Yeah. That agreement was made as a bragging point for Scotty at the time he was backslapping Gladys for refusing to lockdown Sydney, a stance which had already aged like milk within a couple of weeks of the meeting.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

why is it always that the new normal involves the vulnerable dying

*polkadot man voice* god i hope we do

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

hanyolo posted:

I would like to visit my family in WA as a fully vacced Victorian over Christmas without having to quarantine

ok, how many dead people is that visit worth? 1? 10? 100?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Interstate commerce is mostly either train or truck.

Just have them switch the engine/cab at the border with no human interaction with the incoming people.

Then the drivers who were bringing goods in turn around and leave, while the "clean" drivers take the goods the rest of the way. Or to the next border, where the process occurs again.

EDIT: and, of course, the leaving drivers take the poo poo which was being delivered into their state so they aren't just driving back without a load.

That would be incredibly impractical to try and organize at scale unfortunately for a whole bunch of reasons.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
What if we created a city out of garbage in the middle of the outback and put all the unvaccinated people there?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Periphery posted:

What if we created a city out of garbage in the middle of the outback and put all the unvaccinated people there?

ah, mr deputy pm. welcome to the forums.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

No need. We already have facilities built on a number of neighbouring islands.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

thatbastardken posted:

why not? it works to protect people, if you've got an urgent need to cross (or are an elite footballer lol) you can get an exemption. it's inconvenient for travel but there's nothing stopping that being the new normal.

why is it always that the new normal involves the vulnerable dying rather than an inconvenience to the wealthy?

The many cross border communities might have a different perspective on this?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

thatbastardken posted:

ok, how many dead people is that visit worth? 1? 10? 100?

When everyone has had the opportunity to vaccinate, then whatever the number ends up being among the unvaccinated.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hanyolo posted:

When everyone has had the opportunity to vaccinate, then whatever the number ends up being among the unvaccinated.

So that includes people who cant vaccinate for valid medical reasons?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

NPR Journalizard posted:

So that includes people who cant vaccinate for valid medical reasons?

Seems like that will be the case. A fully vaxxed person has done everything they can before they travel interstate. Testing on departure and arrival is fine too.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Bill Posters posted:

The many cross border communities might have a different perspective on this?

they can pick a side and stick with it

hanyolo posted:

Seems like that will be the case. A fully vaxxed person has done everything they can before they travel interstate. Testing on departure and arrival is fine too.

estimates are ~5% of the population are immunosuppressed at any given time (mostly cancer patients). why do they deserve to die for your family holiday?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also factor into this that AstroZenica looks like reduces efficacy very slowly if at all and within two months is in fact better than Pfizer long term and the UK was mostly AZ

My AZ blood is so thick delta can't break through.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

they can pick a side and stick with it

estimates are ~5% of the population are immunosuppressed at any given time (mostly cancer patients). why do they deserve to die for your family holiday?

That's how we do it for all other things we vaccinate against? Should WA close their border everytime they detect someone with the flu, hepatitis, etc?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Periphery posted:

And that's why it's important that people ask the politicians what level of death is acceptable.

start with the federal and nsw cabinets

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hanyolo posted:

That's how we do it for all other things we vaccinate against? Should WA close their border everytime they detect someone with the flu, hepatitis, etc?

yes

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

hanyolo posted:

those things aren't as contagious as covid, and hell, maybe they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

That would be incredibly impractical to try and organize at scale unfortunately for a whole bunch of reasons.

no similar argument against giant cannon, i note