Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

winegums posted:

So I'm looking for some help, regarding memes. I'm trying to explain pictorial memes to a group of people who know gently caress all about the internet, Twitter etc.

I'm trying to find a good example of an image meme which everyone who understands it gets it, but which might be fairly opaque from the outside. Ones like Leo pointing at the screen or the roll safe meme aren't ideal as they kinda suggest something from the image itself.

Something like that picture of Baddiel in blackface people post whenever he decides he's the racism understander is probably a good example. But I'm looking for an example that's less contentious. Can anyone think of one?

How about one of those "don't believe everything you read on the internet' - Will Shakespeare" type memes, also carries a message internet newbies would do well to learn!

Not exactly what you might be after in terms of opaqueness but they might need to think about it a bit, it's the kind of thing you read nod then a while later go "wait a minute'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sadly I was wrong to make that decision; usenet merely called me a noob.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Do you have any other cultural touchstones you can use?
Like the Simpsons or Star Trek have had lots of memes made from them. Can you use them as an example?

Homer-hedge.gif

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Distracted boyfriend memes worth a look
But probably not this one though some older comrades do have a problem with internet stuff.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 29, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This one for sure.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This one for sure.

Yeah, I've never understood that one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, I've never understood that one.

It was meant to be a non-sequitur comic, the original in full being this:

The point was meant to mock people who are in obviously untenable scenarios just assuming things will turn out okay. KC Green even explicitly made a response to the failure to grasp this meaning, which I only am not posting right now so people can appreciate the original in context without the apparently-needed rebuttal.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

It was meant to be a non-sequitur comic, the original in full being this:

The point was meant to mock people who are in obviously untenable scenarios just assuming things will turn out okay. KC Green even explicitly made a response to the failure to grasp this meaning, which I only am not posting right now so people can appreciate the original in context without the apparently-needed rebuttal.

There's another way to read this???

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

^^^ when in context as in the whole strip yes I see Just a dog in a yellow bar no I didn't see.

Ok I get it now.
Definitely an insider meme!

Meanwhile

CAA are busy getting the Big Lie showings cancelled. It's McCarthyism. I wonder how much of venues complying is just taking their word for it that it's an antiSemitism-denial film and how much is fear of being smeared themselves.

I find myself deleting replies on twitter unsent lest they go for me (though I'm a nobody with a handful of followers - I don't know why people bang on about how many followers someone has when you can just buy loads of followers as Dave Gorman showed but I digress).

Wish they'd put it on a few platforms so we can see it and decide for ourselves.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 29, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

There's another way to read this???

Some people unironically post the first two panels. It got so bad that KC Green made this rebuttal:

please support the official release https://thenib.com/this-is-not-fine/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I go to the one resource that could give me the answer: the most historically online community.
the goatman, his ███ wide

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've also noticed that Twitter has become flooded with really lovely, low quality adverts. Musk scrambling for revenue from whatever sources he can find, I guess.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've also noticed that Twitter has become flooded with really lovely, low quality adverts. Musk scrambling for revenue from whatever sources he can find, I guess.
I actually screenshotted the time I got consecutive ads for "a financial app that turns financial life for Muslims from skating on thin ice into a way of 'ibada" and "Catholic daily reflections". Doing well on the targeting there, Boer Boy.

I've also had ads for the benefits of lithium-7 over lithium-6 in boosted clean secondaries, how to spot Respirable Crystalline Silica exposure, a new confocal for time-resolved fluorescence methodologies, an explanation for heterogeneity in statin responses, and the Pratt & Whitney F135 jet engine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ok I get it now.
Definitely an insider meme!

Josep Maria García’s brother-in-law

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd rather if they could Bend any of the other three elements, since humans aren't primarily composed out of Fire

It would be the most useful for me. I wouldn't need a forge or messing with propane or coke.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

winegums posted:

So I'm looking for some help, regarding memes. I'm trying to explain pictorial memes to a group of people who know gently caress all about the internet, Twitter etc.

I'm trying to find a good example of an image meme which everyone who understands it gets it, but which might be fairly opaque from the outside. Ones like Leo pointing at the screen or the roll safe meme aren't ideal as they kinda suggest something from the image itself.

Something like that picture of Baddiel in blackface people post whenever he decides he's the racism understander is probably a good example. But I'm looking for an example that's less contentious. Can anyone think of one?

How about this:

(For context it’s the “ok then, keep your secrets” meme but with the text cut off - idea is it’s recognisable to someone who knows the meme but not others)

There’s a lot in Google scholar about memes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pistol_Pete posted:

aye I have seen dozens of variations on random 4 letters followed by "shop" all hawking alibaba bullshit

a few weeks ago it was all very specific biotechnology lab equipment

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just link them to Know Your Meme

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Red Oktober posted:

(For context it’s the “ok then, keep your secrets” meme but with the text cut off - idea is it’s recognisable to someone who knows the meme but not others)

similarly,

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There has to be a PYF meme thread but I can't find it

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Do goatse!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Microplastics posted:

There has to be a PYF meme thread but I can't find it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813092&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

But I think these are very online memes

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Edit: surely everyone here knows this one?

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 29, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Meanwhile - here’s the husband of one of Keith’s top lieutenants just launching a cosy podcast with his pal the Austerity Chancellor

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pistol_Pete posted:

It keeps recommending me a mail-order telescoping baton which I'm pretty sure is illegal to even own in the UK.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Edit: surely everyone here knows this one?

No you've lost me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No that would be

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

You say lovely, I say amazing after these two I got back-to-back

https://twitter.com/noxvillewy/status/1671197460633403393?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Explain memes to boomers using only boomer era memes

Oct 4, 2005

Just this week twitter started recommending me the sketchiest poo poo. Streets brawls, racism, right wing boomer memes.

I swear I only this this rear end website to follow indie game devs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Meanwhile - here’s the husband of one of Keith’s top lieutenants just launching a cosy podcast with his pal the Austerity Chancellor

Mate Alastair Campbell has a podcast where he whines about dishonesty in politics, nothing matters any more.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

1965917 posted:

I swear I only this this rear end website to follow indie game devs.

Even my love of cricket is not enough to keep me on twitter.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

How about this:

There’s a lot in Google scholar about memes.

Another similar example:

Where the original has the subtitle "... the Irish Reunification of 2024." People have been posting it for the last few years since Brexit, especially with the increase in support for nationalist parties. I've started seeing it without the subtitle or with a close zoom on Data's face in the last few months.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1674330728069300224

:toot:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

smellmycheese posted:

Politicians spend the evening getting pissed together on subsidized alcohol. Any pretence that each side of the bench hate each other is theatre.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 29, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why the gently caress would you have an economics podcast with two people with little understanding of economics? Ed Balls studied PPE, sure, but Osborne? He studied Modern History and then proceeded to colosally gently caress the economy so badly we're still in the shitter.

And frankly the only thing I've seen from people studying PPE is that they are functionally illiterate about every topic.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dabir posted:

No you've lost me

Brendan memes are probably one of the few reasons worth staying on Twitter

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Why the gently caress would you have an economics podcast with two people with little understanding of economics?

Same as Farage, complete armchair captain hindsight criticisms with no solutions offered.
The brain wormed will lap it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
To explain memes, simply show the entire Darmok and Jalad TNG episode