Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mordaedil posted:

It's fixed by reloading the game, by the way.

Is this one on the bingo card of excuses people make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I did the Human Error quest and killed everyone in Covenant only to realize that there's apparently no way to access a shop's inventory after the owner is dead :sigh: I wanted that unique shotgun Penny had.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

To be fair, I haven't tested it because I'm at work. It's possible that guy's just trolling everyone.
I suspect this. I can't set a core to hot-select and there's nothing selectable on the generator once you remove the core.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1. That junkie old chick who I built a chair for now refuses to get out of it, making it impossible for me to move her chair into the deluxe ultra fortress I just made.
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they got the old lady out of the chair by throwing a frag grenade at her.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can I kill the old junkie lady

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I may have missed a few of the tutorial messages since they pop up in the corner of the screen and seem to cycle rather quickly it seems. When in a settlement and you want to assign people to jobs, how many jobs are they to actually assign them to? I'm in sanctuary with the default 5 you get there and I think the wife of the couple is auto set to the crops but everyone else just seems to wonder around. I thought I could assign people to the wells so I could have water when I get back but I'm not sure that's how it works. Are the hand pumps only good as node to restore your health at essentially? You can bottle up some of that water?

Also, can you just put on some int boosting gear and then turn in a quest and get the extra xp from that?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 12, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I suspect this. I can't set a core to hot-select and there's nothing selectable on the generator once you remove the core.

In retrospect, it also doesn't make much sense, because the fusion cores were powering those generators--removing the core turns some things off.

Yeah, I'm going "almost definitely a troll" at the moment.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kirs posted:

This is so stupid that she can actually predict future. I'd like it was just a stupid hallucinations from too much Jet.

Not to mention, the worst VA ever. The voice acting in this game is terrible overall, but having this plot-important NPC sound like some 20 year old pretending to be old and wheezy is horrific. I actually mute my TV during the times I have to listen to the old woman.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Frankston posted:

Can I kill the old junkie lady

yea and you really should. its for the best, really

do it with a sandman if you don't want everyone else getting upset at you. or do it with a fat man launched point blank because its what she deserves

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
:aaaaa: whoa, well I'll still carry 20 with me everywhere I go anyways. I was just selling them haha that explains why they retain their value!

I went settlement crazy tonight, got the basic shelter/food/water/radio beacon/defense/scavenging/shop set up at like 7 locations right now, with my supply line covering 12 locations. It's really nice to just have everything everywhere. At a few of the farmy locations, I completely stuffed them full of food and now all of my settlements have hella food.

Now that I know it's possible to unlock poo poo like picket fences, I'm hoping there's more science-y ways to generate power/clean water/food/defend/sell

I just wanted to make her :catdrugs: more enjoyable.

I'm going to get rid of these soon because they take a lot of space, and "space", but it's cool if you wanna play baby castle.

I noticed that most of the threats to red rocket seem to come from the direction of the robot junkyard, so I did this. I watched it take on 2 suiciders and 3 normal super mutants and win in seconds. I'm kind of worried that they gave us heavy laser and missile turrets :ohdear:

I've only just started work on the river base, but I can already tell it's going to be my favorite one. You can fit the second teir water generator inside the boat garage! I also managed to stuff some lodging in shacks between the broken roof parts.

I hope we unlock more flags later

:ninja: Edit: I forgot to make my load bearing drywall joke, so there you go

conversation piece fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 12, 2015

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Broken Cog posted:

Just head to the fort and the quest should update. I had the same issue.

What fort? I was supposed to get on the Vertibird to strafe it from the air, I thought. Was it just going to give me a lift over there?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Settlement - building protip:

Give your settlers outfits to wear based on their job. Cheap, and makes the otherwise impossible task of determining who has a job and who doesn't simple.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Also, is there a way to get rid of the two bodies in front of the sanctuary bridge? I moved the bodies into the river but the next time I went back they had spookily reappeared in the same position.

Also I'm in a lecture and some guy just called fallout 4 visually beautiful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All the game's voice acting is bad enough that I just put the game volume down while listening to QI on a playlist in another window.

Sorry, guy who voices Mayor McDonough who sounds suspiciously like, but is actually not, Jeffrey Tambor.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Frankston posted:

Also, is there a way to get rid of the two bodies in front of the sanctuary bridge? I moved the bodies into the river but the next time I went back they had spookily reappeared in the same position.

Been wondering the same thing about all the bodies in all the settlements.

Otoh, I kind of want them to pile up :getin:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
not to mention every other character is voiced either by steve blum or garrus from mass effect

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The story for FO4 is balls and made worse by the fact that your character is voice acted and so the dialogue is more limited

Despite that I think people are going to look back at FO4 as an excellent game and a step forward

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well it's a step forward for Bethesda.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Had a weird bug where a vertibird showed up at prosperity, turned around in the air a bit, and then exploded :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3t-ZnGKhiE

Also:

(Entry denied. Typical)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

conversation piece posted:

Been wondering the same thing about all the bodies in all the settlements.

Otoh, I kind of want them to pile up :getin:
I left a huge pile of synthbots in the arcjet basement and came back after 2 or 3 in-game days and they'd all vanished except for their weapons which had been lying on the ground. Sure glad I looted all their ammo before I left the first time.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
"FORCE AVOID WOODS HELP GOONS TRACE PLACE OASIS TALKS TROOPS POSTS"

:ssh: It's a hidden message :tinfoil:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Funkmaster General posted:

Settlement - building protip:

Give your settlers outfits to wear based on their job. Cheap, and makes the otherwise impossible task of determining who has a job and who doesn't simple.

All my farmers wear pretty pretty dresses.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

coyo7e posted:

I left a huge pile of synthbots in the arcjet basement and came back after 2 or 3 in-game days and they'd all vanished except for their weapons which had been lying on the ground. Sure glad I looted all their ammo before I left the first time.

I noticed other encounters also completely reverting back to normal after enough time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eonwe posted:

The story for FO4 is balls and made worse by the fact that your character is voice acted and so the dialogue is more limited

Despite that I think people are going to look back at FO4 as an excellent game and a step forward

I think it really just comes down to what you want out of an open-world RPG.

If you want a compelling story with well-designed quests that react to your choices and have different outcomes based on them, a Bethesda game is never going to deliver. I feel foolish for even hoping that this one would, even a tiny bit. That kind of game is just not what they're interested in making.

If you want a wide world where you can roam around and find poo poo and shoot motherfuckers and you don't give a drat whether you have any real freedom to "roleplay" your character, Bethesda's got you covered. That said, I think Fallout 4 fails a bit on this front because the perk system is surprisingly limiting. Even shifting things around, I can think of maybe three "builds": melee, guns and power armor, and sneaking-with-silenced-guns. And even then, the last two are far from mutually exclusive. I doubt I'm ever going to replay Fallout 4 on a different character because my SPECIAL stats and perks don't really open up new options for me in combat or dialog. I'd just be doing the same thing again.

(For what it's worth, I'm not categorically against ditching skills in favor of just perks. I just think it wasn't done well here. Probably better than Skyrim, but that's not saying much.)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mayor for life Scarecrow addresses his adoring public from the stand

(And is also savaged by imgur compression)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Am I rmis-remembering, or do you start with fewer SPECIAL points this time around than before? Not that it seems to matter with the new leveling system, you can just round off your stats in the first few hours.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Am I rmis-remembering, or do you start with fewer SPECIAL points this time around than before? Not that it seems to matter with the new leveling system, you can just round off your stats in the first few hours.

You start with much fewer. In New Vegas you start with 5 in each stat base and then 5 extra points to spend, adding up to a total of 40 points. You have 1 in each stat in Fallout 4 with 21 (+1 for the You're SPECIAL book) to spend, for a total of 28/29.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Son of Rodney posted:

Had a weird bug where a vertibird showed up at prosperity, turned around in the air a bit, and then exploded :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3t-ZnGKhiE

That is normal behavior for an osprey

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm having some issues with my settlements: I assign a no-job settler to run a supply line to another settlement and suddenly all my food goes to 0 and my defense drops rapidly. What gives? Is there a mechanic I am missing?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

You start with much fewer. In New Vegas you start with 5 in each stat base and then 5 extra points to spend, adding up to a total of 40 points. You have 1 in each stat in Fallout 4 with 21 (+1 for the You're SPECIAL book) to spend, for a total of 28/29.
What's this? I read the book in the baby's room but it didn't seem to do jack.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Go pick it up when you head home, should be lying on the floor somewhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

coyo7e posted:

Go take a second look at it now that the world went and blew up. It's under the dresser.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

Mayor for life Scarecrow addresses his adoring public from the stand

I've been saving all of my sacks for a single settlement, I haven't decided which one is gonna be the cult yet though

I wish more goons would take pictures of their settlements and cross-dressed warrior-farmer settlers :swoon:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I made one of these tacticool weapons, a pistol with a scope and 12 bullets. It shots as fast I can pull the trigger. Its kinda good.

Then I entered a place full packed with wild ghouls and sneaked around killing them all. I will probably play the whole game this way, sneaking.

Then I received from a npc a nice laser rifle that I enhanced with a scope, and now most of my shots disintegrate stuff. It sounds like if the game is turning too easy it would make sense to increase the difficulty to get even better weapons.

Another thing I noticed is that my VATS give me a option to target friendly units. Pretty often this is ultraconfusing because the world is not truly frozen and they are in the mid of combat. I like if that option where hidden (like if you had to force something to turn friendlies in hostiles before vats started targeting them).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think part of the reason I'm so disappointed in Fallout 4 is that I'm well aware I'm in the minority in what I want from an open-world RPG. If a game's got to have a smaller world with fewer random things to find by going out and exploring aimlessly, I'm fine with that, as long as it means it's going to have branching quests and more impactful narrative and roleplaying choices. (Y'know, the New Vegas method.)

But that's clearly not what sells well or what reviews well, so I guess I have to resign myself to hoping Kickstarted games deliver on that front. (Where I'm also kind of boned. I couldn't get into Pillars of Eternity because I just really don't like real-time-with-pause combat. :smith:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Did you read it in the opening? You have to do it after the apocalypse happens (it's under a dresser in the baby's room). It brings up a menu where you pick a SPECIAL stat and boosts whichever one you picked by 1.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
i know for a fact paladin danse is not voiced by george clooney. i refuse to believe my own brain. paladin danse is voiced by george clooney.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
I don't understand how people can make such conclusive statements about such a game when they've barely even put 20 hours into it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also if any of you goons haven't figured it out/seen somewhere yet, if you wanna get better pretty princess shots, throw TFC 1 into console and it'll pause the world and give you free camera movement, then throw in tm and it'll hide the UI. Obviously then just re-enter those same after you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How long do crops take to grow back? So far for me the answer seems to be "after you come back from a long tour" but I'd like to have a number attached.

Also I made a Classic Blunder. While exploring the Corvega plant, I of course picked up all the connecting rods and piston heads and etc. that you find on the various production lines. However I eventually was like 200 pounds over weight and didn't have Dog with me because I parked him in the bathroom at the beginning because he kept getting killed by Molotovs. Unfortunately I could not find my way back to the entrance to give him the parts to carry, so I just stashed them in some random box in the basement. Now I don't remember how to get back to the basement I was in or which box it was.

:rip: 180 pounds of good quality steel resources

• Locked thread