Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

https://imgur.com/RMljOXV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Booley posted:

Toxic 30k PNW krew played some tactical strike yesterday. I let everyone down by having one half-painted terrain piece, otherwise everything was painted.

https://imgur.com/a/hB5q9

this is so toxic just looking at this is making me vomit

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

Are you sure? Or is it a doubles format?

Is there a download somewhere?

I mean I was there and made my list and played so yeah I'm pretty sure. It does work for multiple players on each side. I don't think we have a download of our updated rules and the original rulebook would be :files:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

What's the format for this? I've still got 10 Mk III and 10 Mk IV on sprue, and while I don't want to do a 2500 point HH army, something 500-750 points is much more doable.
Victory is Vengeance/Tactical Strike. Originally in book III, forums poster BULBASAUR's been working on an edited ruleset for a while with input from other 30k hams. It was originally intended to represent the survivors of the Dropsite Massacre and their hunters operating in small warbands. FW's system is good, but has a couple of issues which are what BULBASAUR was trying to address. A typical game allots 150 points for characters, including sergeants, and about 300 points to spend on other models. Models are bought on an individual basis and players can form ad hoc squads out of what they've brought. Characters can spend action points (typically generated by the overall leader who is assigned a thematic role) for re-rolls or temporary special rules which carry over to their attached squad.

It's a neat system with a lot of potential. FW just left it a little half-baked, as they do.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

lmao

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Booley posted:

I mean I was there and made my list and played so yeah I'm pretty sure. It does work for multiple players on each side. I don't think we have a download of our updated rules and the original rulebook would be :files:

OK, it's just one picture has Typhon and Eidolon in with a bunch of termis so I immediately think it's at least 1000 points.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I just started playing (I've played 3 games), and just finished painting my first patch of models to a sort of acceptable level (or I thought), until I saw what people have posted here. I'm a terrible painter.

I chose Admech as my army to start with. I got the Get Started kit. I've already ordered a Cawl, and a Kastelan Robots. I'm probably going to add at least 1 more Dunecrawler and another squad of Vanguard.

What other units should I get to make decent army? Should I get a Knight? Ironstriders?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

OK, it's just one picture has Typhon and Eidolon in with a bunch of termis so I immediately think it's at least 1000 points.

It had sergeants who happened to look suspiciously like typhon and eidolon. We also had a boxdread that looked suspiciously like a Contemptor.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

EvilBeard posted:

I just started playing (I've played 3 games), and just finished painting my first patch of models to a sort of acceptable level (or I thought), until I saw what people have posted here. I'm a terrible painter.

I chose Admech as my army to start with. I got the Get Started kit. I've already ordered a Cawl, and a Kastelan Robots. I'm probably going to add at least 1 more Dunecrawler and another squad of Vanguard.

What other units should I get to make decent army? Should I get a Knight? Ironstriders?

I'm sure your painting is great. The 30k players are just bizarrely good at painting. Post stuff and people will give you tips.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I mean, isnt this a good thing

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Remember the ABC's of 30k.

A L W A Y S

B E

C H E A T I N G

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

EvilBeard posted:

Avoid Electropriests and Breachers. They're terribly overcosted for what little pretty much anyone else can do.

Dragoons are a good way to get some flanking speed into your otherwise ponderous cogboys, Ironstriders are shockingly cost-effective, just keep them away from everything bigger than a Grot or they'll keel over hard. Destroyers are meh but can be decent with a babysitting Magos.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, isnt this a good thing

loving hell yeah it is

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
FAQ confirmed ready but held off to not gently caress up the tourney, tourney results being used to improve FAQ, Good Workshop continues to deliver

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Remember the ABC's of 30k.

A L W A Y S

B E

C H E A T I N G

Panascope attempted to move his reavers 4 times in one movement phase. Then 2 of them died to my unkillable centurion and they ran straight off the board.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booley posted:

Panascope attempted to move his reavers 4 times in one movement phase. Then 2 of them died to my unkillable centurion and they ran straight off the board.

Does being blind drunk count as cheating though.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

That owns but it's weird that they didn't catch that already.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booyah- posted:

The secret game developers dont want you to know, is that game developers are bad at games

(TBF hive tyrants were being overshadowed complaints-wise for a while by shield-cap'ns)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Are they sure they played the design team? I thought it was only the Community hosts that were taking part.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

I'm sure your painting is great. The 30k players are just bizarrely good at painting. Post stuff and people will give you tips.

You'd be wrong. I learned a lot about how to build models and units, and there's a lot I'll do differently on my second try. I already broke my TP Dominus and a little piece off the Crawler being clumsy. My lgs just started selling Warhammer, so they didn't even have all the colors I needed. I improvised and kinda did my own thing with the colors.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Booley posted:

Hmm not sure if this checks out seeing as how he was extremely killed by my Delegatus

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ijyt posted:

Does being blind drunk count as cheating though.

i didn't go blind until later actually

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

This is extremely funny.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Booley posted:

A centurion has 2 lascannons and hurricane bolters! Of course it should be able to kill 2 primaris skullboys. Not sure why Panascope moved them off the board, though.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

You'd be wrong. I learned a lot about how to build models and units, and there's a lot I'll do differently on my second try. I already broke my TP Dominus and a little piece off the Crawler being clumsy. My lgs just started selling Warhammer, so they didn't even have all the colors I needed. I improvised and kinda did my own thing with the colors.

They look good to me, are those your first minis ever? You'll notice huge improvements the more you paint, and that's already a good starting point.

If you wanted to add anything to them, I'd recommend a spot color, something like bright blue on the lenses, ranger eyes, weapons etc.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A centurion has 2 lascannons and hurricane bolters! Of course it should be able to kill 2 primaris skullboys. Not sure why Panascope moved them off the board, though.

Oh, you scamp.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Toxic 30k PNW krew played some tactical strike yesterday. I let everyone down by having one half-painted terrain piece, otherwise everything was painted.

https://imgur.com/a/hB5q9

Y'all suck gently caress you

(These are awesome, the standard of painting is hilariously high)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

They look good to me, are those your first minis ever? You'll notice huge improvements the more you paint, and that's already a good starting point.

If you wanted to add anything to them, I'd recommend a spot color, something like bright blue on the lenses, ranger eyes, weapons etc.

These are my first ever minis. They only had a small selection of paints. The store owner is ordering a huge paint display full since we've had a pretty big interest in it. I'm going to add things like fluid to the Dominus, and lens eyes. I made it harder on myself this time. I assembled them and glued them to the bases, then painted. Getting inside the robes was a huge pain in the rear end. Next time, I'll assemble them, paint them inside, then mount them on their bases. I just struggle with the little things, like the emblems on their breastplate. I just made them black, because attempting the black/white split on such a small piece wasn't something I could do.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I put up all of my photos from adepticon here https://combinedarmspodcast.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/adepticon-2018-the-sights/

It was cool meeting the goons I did get to meet and me and d i h k had a fun game Saturday night. Hopefully next year we can arrange a bigger goon meet where we actually play a big game or something.

Regarding 40K and 30k I did have a lot of problems with playing against custodies in my 40K narrative event. It wasn't fun at all in the guy didn't even take three of the commander ones just one.

I did hear that in the 30k tournament some guy took a warhound Titan on top of a landing pad that was protected by a shield generator, lol.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Booyah- posted:

They don't actually know too much about how to balance the game. This just shows that they would have been willing to put out FAQs without really understanding what's going on with the game. I don't necessarily blame them, it's a lot to take in and GW really ought to hire a full sized design team, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 26, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

S.J. posted:

They don't actually know too much about how to balance the game. This just shows that they would have been willing to put out FAQs without really understanding what's going on with the game. I don't necessarily blame them, it's a lot to take in and GW really ought to hire a full sized design team, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

They really need to develop a better system for getting feedback. They've taken vast strides with the Community page and actually showing up to events, but Flyrants have been winning big UK events held basically on GW's doorstep and they had no idea about it. That's pretty telling.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

On the other hand, their community page actively hides negative comments. They aren't really being more open with information, they're just talking. New GW still doesn't pay too much attention to how people play their games.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

S.J. posted:

On the other hand, their community page actively hides negative comments. They aren't really being more open with information, they're just talking. New GW still doesn't pay too much attention to how people play their games.

Trust me, about 1% of said comments are in any way constructive.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

S.J. posted:

I mean, I read the comments because I'm an idiot and there's plenty of people furiously whining on rhere basically every time they post. Usually they respond and engage as best they can. What are you seeing them hide (I know that's oxymoronic) that you think is inappropriate?

Agree that they're still not really in touch with how the game is developing, or when things are 'strong' vs. 'overpowered.'

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

I'm well aware, that's kind of beside the point though. I'm not talking about abusive comments or anything. Obviously that would be fine to get rid of. GW just doesn't pay that much attention to the way their games are played. That hasn't really changed and I don't see that changing even in light of the kind of stuff that happened at Adepticon.

Corrode posted:

What are you seeing them hide (I know that's oxymoronic) that you think is inappropriate?

I don't necessarily think it's inappropriate for the PR person who runs their community stuff to hide anything, it's just a page for them to put a good show on. But like the AMA from a little bit ago said, GW is being more communicative but no more honest or forthcoming than before. They're talking more, but they aren't really saying much.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 26, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

wHeRe r My PlAsTiC sIsTeRs lol

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

SteelMentor posted:

Yeah I don't get why people think its a bad thing to detox a comments section.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

S.J. posted:

I don't necessarily think it's inappropriate for the PR person who runs their community stuff to hide anything, it's just a page for them to put a good show on. But like the AMA from a little bit ago said, GW is being more communicative but no more honest or forthcoming than before. They're talking more, but they aren't really saying much.

What do you want from them, specifically? Because that's some profoundly vague criticism.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Thanqol posted:

What do you want from them, specifically? Because that's some profoundly vague criticism.

They don't actually tell you anything of substance the vast majority of the time. They still don't release any information on anything until 2 weeks before books hit shelves. Lots of companies do a lot better than that, and give actual hard dates and timelines for product releases, public playtesting, etc. There's nothing really vague about saying 'they aren't really telling you anything'. They aren't and they don't. They just have someone who chats with people on their FB page. That's fine, but they could be a lot more active with their communities and that kind of thing would help prevent, like, releasing erratas and FAQs that don't address problems with the game :v:

I'm actually hoping that they'll listen to feedback with the sisters release. That could end up being a turning point, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
The AMA link I think sj is talking about

https://www.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/86v2kc/hi_im_rob_of_the_honest_wargamer_formerly_of_whtv/dw82tkf

Imo he's spot on

And to further what sj is saying, the GW presentation at adepticon was cool but a lot of it came with no info just like cryptic pictures and videos. A lot of the answers to questions were you'll have to wait or I can't say anything or post on the Facebook group and ask about that which we know what will happen. It's kind of shity
It was funny when they said that they'll actually keep people in the loop in the plastic sisters development... You know like any other gaming company

muggins fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 26, 2018