Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Grabbed a pair of airpods at the store. Gal said they never make it to the shelves. I have the beatsx already. I gotta say they sound surprisingly good all things considered. The case and all that is really cool and I like the feel

They fit "ok." They're secure, but feel like they're constantly going to fall out. Just a firstworldproblem and all that.

Are they still impossible to find? Seems like there's a lot on ebay new being sold at cost + tax, am i missing something? People worried they're aftermarket or fell off the back of a truck?

They’re easy enough to find today that most sellers are just running out the stocks they built up for when they were selling them for $220-$300 per.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I gotta say I'm a little surprised that my beatsx didn't work on my 8+ after doing the restore from iCloud from my 7+. They were in listed in the Bluetooth section but they wouldn't connect.

I had to forget them and repair them. I figured it would just work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

MarcusSA posted:

I gotta say I'm a little surprised that my beatsx didn't work on my 8+ after doing the restore from iCloud from my 7+. They were in listed in the Bluetooth section but they wouldn't connect.

I had to forget them and repair them. I figured it would just work.

Huh? Was "forgetting" in the bluetooth settings and trying to re-connect not your first step at troubleshooting?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Huh? Was "forgetting" in the bluetooth settings and trying to re-connect not your first step at troubleshooting?

Well my first step was turning them on and seeing that they didn't connect then I checked in the Bluetooth settings and saw that they were listed but not connected.

Turned them off and on again and they still didn't connect so I did a forget and repair.

The weird thing with the beats is they remove the device from your iCloud account too when you do that.

They work fine now but I honestly thought they should have just worked without having to repair them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So something weird happened last night - I was at a concert, my iPhone 8+ rings, displays a name and location of Nashville, TN.

I don’t recognize the name, but would’ve declined it anyway. I look later, the name is definitely not in my contact list. Googling the number doesn’t link the name, but shows it’s listed as a mobile phone.

Is there a reason this would’ve happened? Is there some new stupid means of injecting caller ID or something?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Pivo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kilometers Davis posted:

It sucks that the AirPods are so overpriced ...
The weird thing about them is, they’re really not — when compared to other “true wireless” phones. They’re not the cheapest in the category (partly because others go on sale), but they’re surprisingly closer to the cheapest than I would expect an Apple product to be. A lot of other name brands seem to have an MSRP of $200-250.

Whether true wireless phones are overpriced is another matter.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol what a rip off losers paying that kind of cash

*buys $9 IPA of mud*

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Krakkles posted:

So something weird happened last night - I was at a concert, my iPhone 8+ rings, displays a name and location of Nashville, TN.

I don’t recognize the name, but would’ve declined it anyway. I look later, the name is definitely not in my contact list. Googling the number doesn’t link the name, but shows it’s listed as a mobile phone.

Is there a reason this would’ve happened? Is there some new stupid means of injecting caller ID or something?

Was the name listed as (Maybe) Firstname Lastname?

If so it's in your email somewhere.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The weird thing about them is, they’re really not — when compared to other “true wireless” phones. They’re not the cheapest in the category (partly because others go on sale), but they’re surprisingly closer to the cheapest than I would expect an Apple product to be. A lot of other name brands seem to have an MSRP of $200-250.

Whether true wireless phones are overpriced is another matter.

The ones that retail for $200 are $100+ IEMs with the wires cut off.
The Apple ones are $0/$20 bundled in-ears with the wires cut off.

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Are you on Verizon? They may have signed you up for a trial of their caller name ID thing. Check your text messages.

quote:

VZW FREE MSG: You're receiving a 10 day free trial of Verizon Caller Name ID. Msg & data rates apply. Learn more at…

CKyle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 25, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The way to tell if it's Verizon is if the name displays in ALL CAPS. The iPhone suggestions use normal capitalization.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kalman posted:

Was the name listed as (Maybe) Firstname Lastname?

If so it's in your email somewhere.
Nope, it’s:

[quote="“CKyle”" post="“476743781”"]Are you on Verizon? They may signed you up for a trial of their caller name ID thing. Check your text messages.[/quote]
[quote="“TheWevel”" post="“476744278”"]The way to tell if it’s Verizon is if the name displays in ALL CAPS. The iPhone suggestions use normal capitalization.[/quote]No text, nothing on my bill, and not all caps.

I learned something new, though! I see the Maybe ones at work all the time, figured that’s what that was, but I didn’t know you could get Caller ID names from Verizon.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lolin' at all the hosed up quote characters in this thread today. iOS has finally caught up to MS Office's text mangling capabilities

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Been seeing a lot of people doing „quotes like this” a lot more on the English Internet too, which makes me think that's iOS taking their locale settings too. Still haven't seen 《 these 》tho

tbh proper quotes are the way to go, if you want ascii only input, the text field should specify!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For those of you have already received your 8 or 8+ can you check to see if the back is naturally magnetic to mounts similar to this one?

I currently use those in my car (3M sticky to the perfect spot on my dashboard) with the plate stuck to the back of my 6S and absolutely love just throwing my phone on it without having to fiddle with getting it into a cradle or clamp. With the wireless charging, I'm HOPING that it's not naturally magnetic as I'm sure the plate will block the wireless charging or be forced to put the plate into a less than ideal location on the back of the phone.

This article seems to make me believe that it's naturally magnetic: https://www.cultofmac.com/502944/scosche-magicmount-charge/

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Krakkles posted:

Nope, it’s:

No text, nothing on my bill, and not all caps.

I learned something new, though! I see the Maybe ones at work all the time, figured that’s what that was, but I didn’t know you could get Caller ID names from Verizon.

You can also use apps to provide caller information, but at least in iOS 10 you had to explicitly allow it in Settings since it means you're passing every phone number that calls you to the app to identify. I use the feature with the TrueCaller app to identify telemarketer/spam calls.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fordan posted:

You can also use apps to provide caller information, but at least in iOS 10 you had to explicitly allow it in Settings since it means you're passing every phone number that calls you to the app to identify. I use the feature with the TrueCaller app to identify telemarketer/spam calls.
Interesting, but unless this got added to another app, I definitely don't have any of these installed. I've got Google Voice and No VM installed, and that's about all I can find that's "phone related".

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Krakkles posted:

Interesting, but unless this got added to another app, I definitely don't have any of these installed. I've got Google Voice and No VM installed, and that's about all I can find that's "phone related".

LinkedIn does it too

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

LinkedIn does it too
Yet another reason not to use it.

I do have that one installed, I don't have any contacts by that name and can't find anyone who matches. So ... maybe? Deleting it, in any case.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just following up, I picked up some airpods thanks to this thread. I can confirm, all the positive things that have been said about them are true.

These things are amazing, game changer for me. I've always hated how Apple's EarPods felt in my ears (I have small canals) and thought they sounded like poo poo.

The AirPods feel great, I don't notice they're there unless I think about them, comfortable enough to leave in all day. I'm used to using high end IEMs, but I feel like the sound in the pods is perfectly fine. Volume is just high enough for my abused hearing.

The real selling point for me is how well integrated they are with the phone. I've had other bluetooth headsets and they can be frustrating to connect and annoying when they drop connection. I like that these know when they're in your ear and just automatically turn on with no fiddling. I think it's a perfect example of a very thoughtfully designed "just works" Apple product.

I don't know how much I'll use my IEMs in the future. Probably just for flying when I need a lot of noise isolation.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else finding (at least anecdotally) that you go to open App Store > Updates, and have to swipe down to see new updates, and there are never any that stealth updated since you last did that? (Since iOS11)

And yes, the auto update setting is on in Settings...

Weird.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Pivo posted:

Been seeing a lot of people doing „quotes like this” a lot more on the English Internet too, which makes me think that's iOS taking their locale settings too. Still haven't seen 《 these 》tho

tbh proper quotes are the way to go, if you want ascii only input, the text field should specify!

I occasionally use «» even in English, since they're the standard quotation marks in most Scandinavian countries. Dunno how you got those weird huge ones.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Yet another reason not to use it.

I do have that one installed, I don't have any contacts by that name and can't find anyone who matches. So ... maybe? Deleting it, in any case.

You have to opt in to that behavior, which is done from Settings>Phone. You may not like the feature, but this is hardly a “gently caress LinkedIn” point.

I never understood why CallerID wasn’t available on mobile with names as it was on landlines in the nineties.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ulvir posted:

I occasionally use «» even in English, since they're the standard quotation marks in most Scandinavian countries. Dunno how you got those weird huge ones.

I'm on Windows atm with a US keyboard, didn't want to look up alt-codes or look through character map so... I copy-pasted from Wikipedia like a proper lazy person.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

You have to opt in to that behavior, which is done from Settings>Phone. You may not like the feature, but this is hardly a “gently caress LinkedIn” point.

I never understood why CallerID wasn’t available on mobile with names as it was on landlines in the nineties.
Agreed, it was not a jump, merely another tick in the direction of my extant opinion on LinkedIn.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

Anyone else finding (at least anecdotally) that you go to open App Store > Updates, and have to swipe down to see new updates, and there are never any that stealth updated since you last did that? (Since iOS11)

And yes, the auto update setting is on in Settings...

Weird.

Yep, same here, 6s+

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

illcendiary posted:

Do you do this just for nostalgia's sake? Why wouldn't you use the 5W that comes with new phones?

Long story short it's a very specific problem with the outlet placement and furniture being right in front of it. My ancient charger is 2 ports and relatively flush with the wall. The standard one and cable is perpendicular to the wall and wouldn't really fit.

If I cared I could do any number of things to improve the situation but I also only need to charge 2 things and I don't care how long it takes as long as it's less than 7 hours so I leave it alone.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep, same here, 6s+

Oh well I was wondering what happened to my updates. Same issue here too on a 7.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's been happening to me on and off, the update thing. I noticed it back in beta when I felt that I had to manually update everything, then one day I checked my iPad after leaving it alone for a few days and a bunch of things had updated the day before. I'm not sure if it waits before auto-updating now or does it once a week or what the deal is, but I haven't been able to pin down the behaviour any more than "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't". Except I don't have to pull down to see new updates, they're just there waiting for me to click them.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Auto app updating has never worked right for me. Sometimes I'll have 12 updates and maybe 5 of them get updated overnight? Other times all the updates will happen right as I'm trying to read my email first thing in the morning. Last night, all of my apps updated correctly. :iiam:

edit: my phone is plugged in and on wifi every night

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Probably had to be plugged in, on WiFi, while the moon is waxing crescent directly overhead.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So if I erased my phone and restored from backup and I STILL have like 5GB of "Other"... what do I do?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TraderStav posted:

For those of you have already received your 8 or 8+ can you check to see if the back is naturally magnetic to mounts similar to this one?

I currently use those in my car (3M sticky to the perfect spot on my dashboard) with the plate stuck to the back of my 6S and absolutely love just throwing my phone on it without having to fiddle with getting it into a cradle or clamp. With the wireless charging, I'm HOPING that it's not naturally magnetic as I'm sure the plate will block the wireless charging or be forced to put the plate into a less than ideal location on the back of the phone.

This article seems to make me believe that it's naturally magnetic: https://www.cultofmac.com/502944/scosche-magicmount-charge/

Curious as well. From what I've surmised via google if a metal plate or something physically touches the phone, it probably won't wirelessly charge. It looks like there's magnetic wireless car chargers too, but I use CarPlay wired

The magnetic car mounts are game chargers. I use it coupled with a magnetic wallet case and I really don't want to lose both for wireless charging. Gonna get one and just try it probably but yeah

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

So if I erased my phone and restored from backup and I STILL have like 5GB of "Other"... what do I do?

iTunes music will show up as "other" until you've signed into the music store. Or some other app you have installed has some crap it backed up.

So if you really want to kill every last shred of data, you might have to do a wipe and start fresh.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Can't stand the new iOS control center music player. I don't have that fat of fingers and I keep accidentally skipping forwards or backwards on podcast instead of pausing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

xzzy posted:

iTunes music will show up as "other" until you've signed into the music store. Or some other app you have installed has some crap it backed up.

So if you really want to kill every last shred of data, you might have to do a wipe and start fresh.

Downloaded music: 0KB in iTunes settings. I'm definitely signed in because iCloud Music Library is working, I think? gently caress :\

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GoldfishStew posted:

Can't stand the new iOS control center music player. I don't have that fat of fingers and I keep accidentally skipping forwards or backwards on podcast instead of pausing.

3D Touch the playback controls to make them bigger.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

I am looking for an apple watch charging dock that also has a Qi wireless charging pad for my new 8 plus. Some amazon searching isnt really pulling anything up that seems legit. Does anyone have a dock that meets that criteria they would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

What I find weird is the duplication of these controls in the new Notification Center during playback.

Like, these are the size controls I want but why is it in the Notification Center?

Edit:

shootforit posted:

I am looking for an apple watch charging dock that also has a Qi wireless charging pad for my new 8 plus. Some amazon searching isnt really pulling anything up that seems legit. Does anyone have a dock that meets that criteria they would recommend?

Sounds like you'll want Apple's AirPower product once it's out next year.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 25, 2017