Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt any court in the land would grant someone exclusive use of the word "eco."

see: apple v. everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

nm posted:

I really want everyone to get beyond turbos for "normal" cars. They fun in fun cars, but chasing boost leaks over 100k mi is annoying and replacing pistons sucks rear end.
The real world FE isn't even really all that much better.

How do you feel about supercharging?

Also I have a story filed under Horrible Mechanical Failures.

Friend of mine took his Miata in for maintenance at the dealership and after the shop put it back together they assembled it with the timing chain on incorrectly. They started it up and just demolished engine bits, all kinds of things are hosed. They are going to repair the damage but they are keeping the car until after Christmas because of parts they are missing.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Seems this is becoming a huge, common issue. GM has a serious problem with the 1.5L turbocharged 4 in some of their new cars, this is showing up as early as 20k miles. :stonk:

e: and here's a video of the obscene blowby you get when this happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JZzPz9nnW0

Turns out GM warranty procedure right now is to just slam another piston in and button it back up. Techs have got to be happy, they will get an assload of work out of replacing all the pistons one at a time, unsure what will happen when they start breaking the new pistons or the car goes out of warranty though.

I was just watching those videos last night and telling my coworker about it today. Seems GM is having a lot of trouble with their turbo motors. Is it affecting the 1.4T too because at work we have one in our fleet and it's a giant piece of poo poo that doesn't even have cruise control and it can't melt a piston/blow it's turbo soon enough.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BitBasher posted:

How do you feel about supercharging?

Also I have a story filed under Horrible Mechanical Failures.

Friend of mine took his Miata in for maintenance at the dealership and after the shop put it back together they assembled it with the timing chain on incorrectly. They started it up and just demolished engine bits, all kinds of things are hosed. They are going to repair the damage but they are keeping the car until after Christmas because of parts they are missing.

My favorite was the tuner who brought us their own shop car, because they couldn't get it to start after a rebuild. Swore up and down that the timing belt was on right, but after a few cranks I could tell it definitely wasn't. Bent half the valves, also there was something that had fallen in the cylinder (I don't remember what), headgaskets were coated in rtv, other poo poo hooked up wrong, it was just a complete clusterfuck that was going to blow up anyway.

That was the same shop that sent us another car for a rebuild, and asked us to take a look at the shifter because it was sitting funny. We REALLY should have looked closer before doing all the work because there was a crease/fold running all the way across the floor of the chassis, so the distance from the trans to the shifter mount was not as far.

They are still around somehow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

jamal posted:

there was a crease/fold running all the way across the floor of the chassis, so the distance from the trans to the shifter mount was not as far.

What?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

That was the same shop that sent us another car for a rebuild, and asked us to take a look at the shifter because it was sitting funny. We REALLY should have looked closer before doing all the work because there was a crease/fold running all the way across the floor of the chassis, so the distance from the trans to the shifter mount was not as far.

One of the local Miata guys bought an awesome-cheap US-titled NB, brought it in for an out of province inspection, pulled up the carpet to check for floorpan rust and found two different colours of paint.

Never seen anyone weld two different cars together before like that (front to rear, right in front of the seatbelt pillars). It was remarkable how straight the cuts were because they were also obviously done with a sawzall. We got a lot of really good parts off that thing and the owner surprisingly made his money back from parting it out.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 13, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of the local Miata guys bought an awesome-cheap US-titled NB, brought it in for an out of province inspection, pulled up the carpet to check for floorpan rust and found two different colours of paint.

Never seen anyone weld two different cars together before like that (front to rear, right in front of the seatbelt pillars). It was remarkable how straight the cuts were because they were also obviously done with a sawzall. We got a lot of really good parts off that thing and the owner surprisingly made his money back from parting it out.

A guy I work with bought a wrecked 2005 Saturn LE (?), cut the rear off, and welded another on.
Since then, he's put quite a lot of miles on it. A couple years ago he bought another parts car and swapped the engine, 6-spd manual transmission (old one was an auto) and the rear end.

:psyduck:

He likes Saturns.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

A guy I work with bought a wrecked 2005 Saturn LE (?), cut the rear off, and welded another on.
Since then, he's put quite a lot of miles on it. A couple years ago he bought another parts car and swapped the engine, 6-spd manual transmission (old one was an auto) and the rear end.

He likes Saturns.

"Clip jobs" are a real thing. Insurance companies will take the undamaged front half of one car and the back of another car and get a body shop to weld them together. They can then sell the car for some profit out of their two wrecks. Other times they'll "repair" a damaged vehicle that way and return it to the owner because it's cheaper than ordering all the component parts individually.

Example: http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/chi-rides-clipped-cars-1005oct05-story.html

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Deteriorata posted:

"Clip jobs" are a real thing.

"Liking Saturns", though?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Data Graham posted:

"Liking Saturns", though?

Apparently there is a saturn owners car club here, they're as terrible as you're thinking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think that's the last thing that should surprise you after seeing a lot of the cars that get love in AI

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jamal posted:

THAT WAS THE SAME SHOP THAT SENT US ANOTHER CAR FOR A REBUILD, AND ASKED US TO TAKE A LOOK AT THE SHIFTER BECAUSE IT WAS SITTING FUNNY. WE REALLY SHOULD HAVE LOOKED CLOSER BEFORE DOING ALL THE WORK BECAUSE THERE WAS A CREASE/FOLD RUNNING ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE FLOOR OF THE CHASSIS, SO THE DISTANCE FROM THE TRANS TO THE SHIFTER MOUNT WAS NOT AS FAR.

Maybe the car was t-boned and the car was hosed? I really don't know what's he 's getting at here.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

Not going to happen as anti-pollution standards get tighter for new cars

Kinda depends on the test cycle that gets used. It'll only take a slight alteration to the current Euro (or AU) cycle to erode almost all of the advantage small turbos currently have.

These are EPA numbers:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The crease went across the floor off the car, like the car was sandwiched in a rear end collision or something and was like 1/2" shorter. But nothing really obvious until I was under the back of the transmission trying to figure out why the shifter was in a funny spot, after we'd already rebuilt the engine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

TotalLossBrain posted:

He likes Saturns.

I also like real Saturns for some weird reason. I own a Saturn, but I don't consider it a real Saturn; I consider it a Chevy Cobalt with an interior that holds up better. Bonus is it doesn't get door dings.

The only Saturn model to start with an L was the L series, which came in an L200 or L300 (which are basically different trim levels).

They're essentially an Opel Vectra with the Saturn body dropped on. Ugly, but the L series is pretty reliable (especially with the manual). What the hell did he pull the 6 speed from though? They never sold them with one (the only manual offered was the Getrag F23, which is what's in my car - 5 speed - and it was only offered with the 4 cylinder, AFAIK); I'm sure you can play enough GM legos to get one, but I'm genuinely curious what it's out of.

fake edit: huh, looks like the G6, Cruze, Regal, and Verano offered a 6 speed FWD manual. Couple of Saabs too. Looks like it's the only FWD 6 speed GM has used so far, and appears to be surprisingly beefy. The F23 is pretty much at its limit behind a stock 2.2, while the F40 is rated to handle nearly 300 ft/lbs.

Wikipedia posted:

The GM MR6/F40 six-speed manual transaxle was first developed for Fiat, and use after by OPEL and Saab applications and is built in Rüssia. Originally a design developed for Fiat, Opel and Saab applications, the F40 (MT2) is a GM Powertrain - Europe six-speed manual transaxle built in Russelsheim, Germany. Its first use in a North American application was the Pontiac G6 for the 2006 model year. It is also used in some Saab 9-3 and 9-5 models.

Also, if he really loves Saturns, he'd be pretty upset to find out that real Saturns stopped production at the end of the 2002 model year, and that mechanically, his car is more Opel than anything else. Anything that's not an SC, SL, or SW is a shared platform with another brand. My Ion, for example, is the same platform as the Chevy Cobalt, Chevy HHR, Pontiac G4, Pontiac G5, and Pontiac Pursuit, and mechanically identical (sans a few small parts - battery, clutch master cylinder, etc) to the Cobalt and Pontiacs. The HHR is the odd one out, it's a bit heavier and stretched a bit, but it's still the same platform, with a lot of the same mechanical parts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Deteriorata posted:

"Clip jobs" are a real thing.

They're called a "cut and shut" in Australia, and as long as it's done properly and comes with an engineer's certificate they're perfectly legal. Two statutory write-off cars become one with a new VIN.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pictured: A bad day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

"Clip jobs" are a real thing. Insurance companies will take the undamaged front half of one car and the back of another car and get a body shop to weld them together. They can then sell the car for some profit out of their two wrecks. Other times they'll "repair" a damaged vehicle that way and return it to the owner because it's cheaper than ordering all the component parts individually.

Example: http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/chi-rides-clipped-cars-1005oct05-story.html

I have never seen an estimate where you put two cars together. I don't even think most of the standardized estimating software has that as an option.

Insurance companies also don't sell cars.

What are the odds of finding a car with opposite damage as yours? This story is pure garbage. These jobs are done by shady folks who buy salvage cars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What are the odds of finding a car with opposite damage as yours?

In a two-car rear-end collision one gets the front hosed up and one gets the rear hosed up. I don't know how often in such crashes the not-easily-repaired damage passes the middle of the vehicle but I'd bet there are a lot of wrecks out there where either the front half or the rear half are basically fine.

Not commenting on how legitimate it is or how safe the result would be, but questioning the idea of finding a clean half that opposes your clean half seems silly. If your vehicle is reasonably common there are probably a bunch to choose from at any given time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I have never seen an estimate where you put two cars together. I don't even think most of the standardized estimating software has that as an option.

Insurance companies also don't sell cars.

What are the odds of finding a car with opposite damage as yours? This story is pure garbage. These jobs are done by shady folks who buy salvage cars.

The gist seems to be that it's not an "official" procedure but one body shops employ. Sometimes at the behest of an insurance company, sometimes on their own to cut corners.

And insurance companies most certainly do sell cars. When a car has been totaled, what do you think happens to it? The wreck then belongs to the insurance company, and they have to dispose of it somehow. They can recoup some costs by cobbling up a working vehicle out of the pieces. They will usually end up at an auction house.

I-CAR even offers a class on "Full Body Sectioning." The exact details of how and when it's done may be sketchy, but it's a real thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The odds of finding a same year make model that hasn't been picked apart by a salvage vendor is so low. They don't have half of cars just sitting there. Salvage vendors make their money by buying wrecked cars and repairing them or selling parts. They don't make any money have a car sitting there waiting for the hope someone needs the rear end from an 08 Alero.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The gist seems to be that it's not an "official" procedure but one body shops employ. Sometimes at the behest of an insurance company, sometimes on their own to cut corners.

And insurance companies most certainly do sell cars. When a car has been totaled, what do you think happens to it? The wreck then belongs to the insurance company, and they have to dispose of it somehow. They can recoup some costs by cobbling up a working vehicle out of the pieces. They will usually end up at an auction house.

I-CAR even offers a class on "Full Body Sectioning." The exact details of how and when it's done may be sketchy, but it's a real thing.

The context was that insurance has a functional car to sell. They don't. They sell the salvage. Selling it to a vendor who then does whatever they want gives an insulation layer. No insurance company is selling to the public because it's a potential lawsuit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, if you join assemblies along original joints between the panels, I can't say I have a huge issue with it, though I'd assume there will generally be a point where you have to deal with something like the floorpan, and make one out of two pieces. Even then, it's possible to do a good job.

It's not the inherent practice I have a problem with, rather that I assume it's going to be a bodge job.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I have a friend who drove a Special Edition maroon Miata that was composed of two Special Edition maroon Miatas; one rear-ender the other rear-endee. After it was done you couldn't tell by looking or driving except there was a bit of a weird spot on the inside door sills where the two cars were put together.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I totally believe that it's done (hell, VikingSkull used to see them hit the auction floor at his work...) but I would think either the shops would be doing it for the insurer if the customer was keeping the car, or the people buying salvage cars would be doing it.

There's also probably a terminology confusion here, I can call a local junkyard and ask for "a front cut" and they assume they need to sawzall the car across the front floorpan and A pillars/windshield, giving me everything from the dash forward, basically, or I can ask for a quarter of a car etc. Any skilled/reputable bodywork person is going to cut 6 inches past the first undamaged panel covering what they need, get it back to the shop, drill all the spotwelds out, drill the spotwelds holding the busted poo poo into their chassis, and carefully combine the two, but I can see a lovely backwater shop getting out the sawzall and then MIGing the two halves together, resulting in a car that's going to break in half easily at the seam if they welded badly, prepped badly, did a bad job reapplying corrosion prevention/seamsealer, missed rejoining inner layers of a structural member (easy to do if they just line two halves up), etc etc etc.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
There is, somewhere floating around the internet, a series of cars, pictures and videos where this was done and some of them the overlapping panels were joined with the glues that the OEMs use for attaching door skins, fenders, and other panels at the factory. Some were joined with liquid nail!

This is basically the same processes used to make most limousines. Scary stuff.

On another note...

"peekaboo"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is basically the same processes used to make most limousines. Scary stuff.
I spend a lot of time trying not to think about how limousines are made.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I spend a lot of time trying not to think about how limousines are made.
Laws and sausages, man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The bank end of limos is usually built super strong so it doesn't sag.

The driver is getting super duper squished in a fender bender though. "how sausages are made" is actually a pretty good descriptor for a couple reasons.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

The odds of finding a same year make model that hasn't been picked apart by a salvage vendor is so low. They don't have half of cars just sitting there. Salvage vendors make their money by buying wrecked cars and repairing them or selling parts. They don't make any money have a car sitting there waiting for the hope someone needs the rear end from an 08 Alero.

When I was a kid my grandpa did it with two Ford Pintos. One with front end and one with rear end damage. He riveted them together right behind the door down the middle of the body panel, with exposed rivets. My grandma drove the car for years. The front half was gold and the back was mustard yellow. The whole family called it Zipperbutt.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BitBasher posted:

When I was a kid my grandpa did it with two Ford Pintos. One with front end and one with rear end damage. He riveted them together right behind the door down the middle of the body panel, with exposed rivets. My grandma drove the car for years. The front half was gold and the back was mustard yellow. The whole family called it Zipperbutt.

Just when you thought a regular Pinto was unsafe...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You Am I posted:

Just when you thought a regular Pinto was unsafe...

This one is safe because in an accident the halves separate and the front seat passengers are safe from that dangerous fuel tank.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Platystemon posted:

This one is safe because in an accident the halves separate and the front seat passengers are safe from that dangerous fuel tank.

Grandpa insisted that was all bullshit and someone should light Ralph Nader on fire if I remember correctly. My immediate family had at least 3 at the same time. Grandpa, my mom, and her sister.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Grandpa insisted that was all bullshit and someone should light Ralph Nader on fire if I remember correctly. My immediate family had at least 3 at the same time. Grandpa, my mom, and her sister.

My wife's family had one. They put a bumper sticker on it:

IF YOU CAN READ THIS
You are in grave danger

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Vitamin J posted:

I have a friend who drove a Special Edition maroon Miata that was composed of two Special Edition maroon Miatas; one rear-ender the other rear-endee. After it was done you couldn't tell by looking or driving except there was a bit of a weird spot on the inside door sills where the two cars were put together.

It would be super special if those two Miatas had rear-ended each other only to be then joined in that unholy matrimony. Sort of like cell division in reverse if you will.

vv Perfect, thanks! vv

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 14, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Miatosis, surely.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Data Graham posted:

Miatosis, surely.
:golfclap:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BitBasher posted:

Reminds me of when the auto industry also tried to villify safety belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Miatosis, surely.
This is fantastic.