Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are just mindlessly defending nintendo tho. They have no stake or really any counterargument to speak of.

It's just cheerleading.
I'm sorry that thinking old games are still worth paying for is a controversial statement to you. Games don't get worse with age, and they still have value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Super No Vacancy posted:

I would be OK with the price of the virtual console titles IF they were linked to your nintendo account and not tied to your console

Oh now you've done it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Spellman posted:

Nintendo software is typically more expensive because that's what their brand is worth. You start selling a bunch of old Mario games for a buck, and then Mario becomes cheap. They've made games that are considered works of art, and aren't supposed to lose their value over time. They're not supposed to be priced in the same category as mobile games, or old Playstation games. They're like Disney movies coming out of the Disney Vault, and Nintendo prices them in a way that makes them (seem) high end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Super No Vacancy posted:

I would be OK with the price of the virtual console titles IF they were linked to your nintendo account and not tied to your console

Well, congrats, virtual console titles have been tied to your NNID for ages now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Super No Vacancy posted:

You cheeky gull.

homeless snail posted:

Games don't get worse with age

Uh, I don't have an opinion on your actual argument but this is the forum where "badly-aged" gets used to describe practically anything older than 4 years.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 2, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thank you for linking to the art.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Super No Vacancy posted:

:golfclap:

I wish it were at least easier to do a system transfer. I'd be way more open to buying one of those premium game tie-in 3DS models if it were feasible to just swap out SD Cards and like go through some kind of auth process if the hardware doesn't match any more. When I upgraded to New 3DS back when it came out, in order to be able to trade in my old model, I had to temporarily store my NNID on my girlfriend's 2DS, a week before release day, and then transfer it from there to the n3DS. Gamestop doesn't let you do that poo poo at the counter unless the cashier is like your actual friend.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mycot posted:

Uh, I don't have an opinion on your actual argument but this is the forum where "badly-aged" gets used to describe practically anything older than 4 years.

Old /=/ "badly-aged"

Most of Nintendo's old stuff holds up pretty drat well. I guess maybe Mario 64 aged the worst?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I'm sorry that thinking old games are still worth paying for is a controversial statement to you. Games don't get worse with age, and they still have value.

you're not wrong, but to a lot of people newness has substantial value and while the game's quality may not change over time, it becomes inherently less monetarily valuable with age to those people

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dmboogie posted:

Old /=/ "badly-aged"

Most of Nintendo's old stuff holds up pretty drat well. I guess maybe Mario 64 aged the worst?

Mario 64 has aged very well!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

you're not wrong, but to a lot of people newness has substantial value and while the game's quality may not change over time, it becomes inherently less monetarily valuable with age to those people
Yeah and, I hate to invoke jivjov on this one cause lmao jivjov, but that's why they cost $8 now instead of $50

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Yeah and, I hate to invoke jivjov on this one cause lmao jivjov, but that's why they cost $8 now instead of $50

well yeah lol at the difference between $8 and some other amount less than 10

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It'd be nice if VC games went on sale more often, but as is, they're :10bux: or less. I guess :20bux: or less if you count Wii games on eShop. That's a really good price on these games, especially the ones that are absurdly hard to find or the ones that go for really high prices second-hand. I mean, I could go on eBay and grab a copy of Paper Mario 64 for at least 40 bucks or I could just go to the eShop and get it from there for :10bux:; or I could go try to get a copy of Xenoblade Wii for >=$45 or I could just download it for :20bux:.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't imagine how some of you would freak out of something like The Criterion Collection happened for video games.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i don't have access to the VC on my 3DS, is there a game in particular people are complaining about

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't have access to the VC on my 3DS, is there a game in particular people are complaining about

No. People are just bitching that Nintendo doesn't give away their titles for nearly free.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't imagine how some of you would freak out of something like The Criterion Collection happened for video games.

those go on sale all the time though

is this just a psychological thing? would Nintendo's VC be more palatable if they had sales more than maybe twice a year?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Looper posted:

those go on sale all the time though

is this just a psychological thing? would Nintendo's VC be more palatable if they had sales more than maybe twice a year?

I mean, I'd probably buy mor eof them but that's about it really.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

gog was this originally

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

A link to the past is pretty much the perfect portable game. Glad I don't have to bring my gba along anymore

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Slightly different price points doesn't seem like something people need to get angry about. Just decide whether or not the product is worth the amount asked for and then get on with your day. Different companies selling their different products at different prices isn't exactly some abhorrent affront to nature.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jivjov posted:

Certainly a subset of the sandwich category

Normally I'm in your corner, jivjov, but you're testing my goddamn patience.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
not sure why people are so upset when people are basically saying that 8-20 is beyond impulse purchases. Especially for something fairly antiquated and possibly not fun. That being said this wouldn't be an issue if we had subscriptions like Netflix that didn't cost laughable prices to play older games rather than steam selling everything for pennies on the dollar.

I got Mario Bros for five bucks and am happy with it. But I wouldn't get Mario land for 5 or however much gameboy games cost because other than Pokemon and Links Awakening most games for that system are just really really basic and probably are worth more as impulse buys for a dollar. That being said. Have no idea how the lesser quality NES and Gameboy games are doing sales wise but it probably is so incredibly cheap hosting wise that even if one person paid the five bucks for a first party game of NES Tennis it covers the cost for a while.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Houle posted:

That being said this wouldn't be an issue if we had subscriptions like Netflix that didn't cost laughable prices to play older games rather than steam selling everything for pennies on the dollar.

RIP Gametap. :smith:

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Slightly Toasted posted:

Except that's kind of a lovely example because it's a great game that was beautifully remastered in 3D making good use of it so that people like you that never played the original could enjoy a version that was more up to date? Not to mention that it's worth the price and people will pay it. You can't really compare any of their 3D rereleases to anything on the VC, all of the ones I've seen have been pretty solid.
I'm not comparing it to their VC games, and didn't mean to come across that way. Okay, the game was given attention and rereleased for the 3DS. What I am saying is that, in my opinion, here an now it is five years old and not worth the price of a brand new game anymore. I am less put off by lack of discounts on already low priced VC games, and moreso on games like SF643D is what I'm saying.

homeless snail posted:

If you aren't willing to pay what games are worth, maybe you should just emulate them on something else and not get upset about it.
That's where the argument lies. I don't want games for free, but I personally don't find a five year old port of a nearly twenty year old game to be worth the price of a brand new game released this year.

That said, the last page has been interesting as apparently people consider Nintendo products to be some sort of higher art versus, you know, video games. Apparently they do too so I guess that explains why they would keep the price high.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They should just unify your games across all platforms already. If you own it for Wii U, you shouldn't have to rebuy it for 3DS, or the Wii 3, or whatever comes next.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

jivjov posted:

Well, congrats, virtual console titles have been tied to your NNID for ages now.

I think he means "why can't I buy Earthbound and play it on both my Wii U and 3DS" which is a good question. I'd probably buy a lot more VC games if that were the case and I'm not remotely compelled to double-dip on the same game for 3DS and Wii U as it is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

Normally I'm in your corner, jivjov, but you're testing my goddamn patience.

I mean..a hotdog is clearly not the same thing as a turkey club...but it is still a food product surrounded by bread and meant to be eaten with the hands.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

jivjov posted:

I mean..a hotdog is clearly not the same thing as a turkey club...but it is still a food product surrounded by bread and meant to be eaten with the hands.

I haven't thought about turkey clubs in almost a decade and now I'm suddenly craving one, what the gently caress

EDIT: With some exceptions, I've stayed away from Virtual Console games because the lack of cross-buy is exhausting and buying Super Mario World three times is enough for me. I doubt the NX will allow you to transfer old VC games to it, but at the very least I'd like it to have its own VC library that includes all currently-available VC games from Gameboy to Wii. That'd be pretty neat.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 2, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Different companies selling their different products at different prices isn't exactly some abhorrent affront to nature.
capitalism is just that, actually.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
VC games would benefit from sales by making people who care about price more likely to buy. I am an adult babyboy and can't wait for anything so I buy VC games I want as soon as they come out. I am not the person Nintendo needs to market to. But Nintendo is also a conservative Japanese company and change takes forever there.

On a semi-related note I got a used PS Vita yesterday solely to play PS One games on it, they all seem pretty comparable price wise to me.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

On a semi-related note I got a used PS Vita yesterday solely to play PS One games on it, they all seem pretty comparable price wise to me.

Your Ps one classics can also be used on your ps3 and psp at no additional charge. That's what makes Sony's offer more appealing.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Ice Climber is in absolutely no way worth $5, that's my hot take

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Death Priest posted:

Your Ps one classics can also be used on your ps3 and psp at no additional charge. That's what makes Sony's offer more appealing.

I am hoping for cloud saves and transferring with the next Nintendo systems but I am also aware that hoping is really dumb.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I see all this and I wonder if any of the complainers have iphones or macs. Because that is really something to complain about. Odds are some of you do, and you are stupid as gently caress if you are okay with Apple but not with Nintendo.

Also, for the most part, this isn't crap that is maintaining value. They are things that actually do have demand and value as a result. Just because PC poo poo gets heavily discounted all the time doesn't mean Nintendo stuff should, as well. The PC poo poo gets discounted when people stop buying it and they try to wring every last penny out of it. The Nintendo stuff sells and sells and sells.

Iphones are sold at a higher markup now than when they were first made. Just think about that. Now look at your phone. Is it an iphone? You are stupid as gently caress.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Worst Bear posted:

My main issue with Nintendo is more with games like Star Fox 64 3D. The original came out in the 90s and the port was released in 2011, yet the game is still $40 on the eshop with cart prices being even more hilarious. It rarely goes on sale and when it does it basically just goes down to a more sensible baseline price. As someone who has never played a Star Fox game and has no investment in the series, this puts me off of ever bothering to purchase it. I feel there are a number of titles like this, which is more than a little disappointing. That said, while I personally feel anything over $5 is too much for some of the VC games that are 20-30 years old and running on pure nostalgia, the price point is still low enough that I pay for them without regret. That's my story. :v:

Nintendo's chosen people, the Europeans, did get a price cut for Starfox.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Is there any compelling reason not to buy the 3DS version of Zero Time Dilemma? It's awesome that it's on Steam and all, but it'd just feel weird to not play the series on my DS at this point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm getting it on my Vita for the improved graphics and the trophies and the better sound.

Or, you can wait a few months and buy it on steam at a discounted rate!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I see all this and I wonder if any of the complainers have iphones or macs. Because that is really something to complain about. Odds are some of you do, and you are stupid as gently caress if you are okay with Apple but not with Nintendo.

Also, for the most part, this isn't crap that is maintaining value. They are things that actually do have demand and value as a result. Just because PC poo poo gets heavily discounted all the time doesn't mean Nintendo stuff should, as well. The PC poo poo gets discounted when people stop buying it and they try to wring every last penny out of it. The Nintendo stuff sells and sells and sells.

Iphones are sold at a higher markup now than when they were first made. Just think about that. Now look at your phone. Is it an iphone? You are stupid as gently caress.

cum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm getting it on my Vita for the improved graphics and the trophies and the better sound.

Or, you can wait a few months and buy it on steam at a discounted rate!

I don't have a Vita, so. :v:

Also I am 100% buying it the day it comes out because I am not risking having any of it spoiled for me. I guess it'd look better on Steam, but my computer also kinda sucks, and I'd rather not risk any weird performance issues when I could just play it in bed on my 3DS instead.