Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the general 'best practice' when dealing with an aggressive boar is to keep it away from you, yeah. spears and spear-like implements are your best option because a braced spear can actually do substantial damage to a boar and even not braced if they lodge you then have a lever to manipulate the boar's momentum. boars are not exactly the most sure-footed or graceful creatures so even knocking them a few degrees off center can make them stumble and spill out, which is what you need to rescue an injured person or get away for real.

even this is super dangerous, and the real solution is to just let dudes with guns go solve the loving problem. there is not even an ecological argument to be made for boars in an ecosystem - they are hands down the most destructive megafauna on the planet because they eat pretty much everything and do not give a poo poo about anything. even a backward as poo poo government like the oklahoman state one doesn't gently caress around with boars; if there's more than one or two near anything matching the description of a village people with high powered rifles get called to exterminate them. spears are strictly a thing employed by ranchers and other super rural folks as a last resort if a 500 pound animal somehow sneaks up on you.

the real China thing in that video is that there are boars near an area that populated to begin with. even repressive military juntas like loving myanmar generally do a good job of keeping dangerous animals away from people, but nope, the CCP is too busy being massive douchenozzles and encouraging their populace to be even bigger douchenozzles to one another to do even that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

DJI did a photo contest, this was one of the selections:

A pile of mountain bikes at an athletic training center in Xiamen, China.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, boars will gently caress your poo poo up, bad. I thought the dude was just passed out, sad to hear he lost too much blood or had a heart attack or something :(

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009

dubzee posted:

Not really mountain bikes, this is a pile of those lovely dockless rental Ofo and whatever the blue brand are. I live and work in central Shanghai, and hate these bikes with a passion. They render huge stretches of already terrible sidewalks unusable because there are way too many of them.

Every time I go to work in the morning, I see guys unloading trucks/vans and filling up the sidewalks with the yellow ones.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fojar38 posted:

Since you can't really harm it without a gun

Boars aren't made of metal, dude. I mean yeah a gun is best nowadays but spears can kill them. I mean literally "boar spear" has been a thing since ancient times. Human beings have hunted boars with spears since before written history.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The goon who was doing boar control on a large rural property in North Carolina started hunting them with spears because he shot so many of them that using a gun got boring iirc. He also used drones with NV cameras to survey the property and track the boars.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

dubzee posted:

LOL “mountain bikes” at an “athletic training center”. That’s clearly a bunch of abandoned/discarded Ofo/Mobike/Bluegogo shared bicycles rounded up and impounded by the authorities. (Though to be fair the actual Chinese caption calls them shared bikes.)

I’m visiting a friend’s place over the weekend and a few people in the house have caught one of the 888 varieties of colds going around in China. The parents’ solution (bearing in mind that these are both college educated professors in STEM fields, not rural n*ngs) was to pour a bunch of vinegar into a wok and heat it to boiling for a while, then walk around the house carrying a flaming hot wok from room to room wafting foul vinegar fumes everywhere. So now a few people still have colds and the entire house reeks of vinegar.

This has been your weekly reminder of how China will rule the world in 2020 2035.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

The goon who was doing boar control on a large rural property in North Carolina started hunting them with spears because he shot so many of them that using a gun got boring iirc. He also used drones with NV cameras to survey the property and track the boars.

Pretty sure those were feral pigs though. Can still be dangerous but my understanding is that they’re less aggressive.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Chomp8645 posted:

Boars aren't made of metal, dude. I mean yeah a gun is best nowadays but spears can kill them. I mean literally "boar spear" has been a thing since ancient times. Human beings have hunted boars with spears since before written history.

Dude, boars are ridiculously thick-skinned. You would need to get to their side (or preferably get them knocked over to stab their underbelly). If a boar is facing you, you've got nothing to stab except its ugly thick head and boars have taken .30-06 rounds to their heads and survived. I've seen actual hunters with rifles get stuck up trees because they ran across angry boars and couldn't get rid of them.

There were people in ancient times who hunted boars, but they were always doing that in groups, often with dogs, sometimes on horseback (hell, in ancient Persia they used loving elephants for boar-hunting.) The ancient Greeks considered boar-hunting a massive badass endeavor (up there with killing a lion). Boars will gently caress your poo poo up and if you're by yourself, no matter what weapon you're carrying, you don't want run into one unexpectedly.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
This talk is just making me want to eat boar even more.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Pretty sure those were feral pigs though. Can still be dangerous but my understanding is that they’re less aggressive.

Oh, my bad then. I know they have actual boar some places in the Southeast.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Where's Asterix and Obelix when you need 'em?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

WarpedNaba posted:

Where's Asterix and Obelix when you need 'em?

haha... i was gonna post earlier about how all i need to know about boars, i learned from A&O (they're fighty, but also insanely delicious)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i will say, the last time i went down to Oklahoma to take advantage of a boar hunt that was on the tasty part definitely was true.

my kill wasn't even clean (i hosed up my shot and got him in the hips, he had to bleed out over the course of the next hour) and that was still some seriously good loving pork.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Cross posting:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Chomp8645 posted:

boars are tough as gently caress, medieval dudes got gored hunting them with spears constantly because they are incredibly hard for a person to kill

this isn't a case of like lions or bears only being dangerous because they are much much bigger than us with sharp claws and teeth, pigs are dangerous specifically because they are always angry, really strong, and living tanks

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 4, 2018

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Bajaj posted:

Cross posting:

ahhh kill the yuan ti

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did someone say hunting boars?

https://imgur.com/gallery/NpWRe

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My town has boars, sometimes there's city-wide announcements about boar culls (please wear bright colors when you're walking in the woods) and news about middle schoolers getting cornered on their way to school. :japan: They're mostly in the hills but there have also been sightings in neighborhoods on the coast.

The babies are crazy stupid cute.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cry Havoc posted:

would you rather fight a boar or a bear

Depends on the bear bro some of em are pussies

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Bajaj posted:

Cross posting:

SHLA, HEAD SHLA

Nani ga okite mo ki bun wa henoheno kappa ♪

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bajaj posted:

Cross posting:

What planet is she from?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

My town has boars, sometimes there's city-wide announcements about boar culls (please wear bright colors when you're walking in the woods) and news about middle schoolers getting cornered on their way to school. :japan: They're mostly in the hills but there have also been sightings in neighborhoods on the coast.

The babies are crazy stupid cute.

Supposedly Japan is having more and more problems with wildlife because there aren’t enough hunters anymore to control the population. The licensing is expensive and difficult for most people to deal with these days.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bajaj posted:

Cross posting:

Thing is she’s probably normally attractive. Craziness is a trip.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

bring back old gbs posted:

It looks like he dies of shock or a heart attack or something, all the attacks were to the lower body. he's moving around consistently until 1:35 when his leg just sorta slumps over. :smith:

Maybe getting beaten with the shovel by accident messed him up

LimburgLimbo posted:

Thing is she’s probably normally attractive. Craziness is a trip.

I mentioned a while back but looking like Grey Man has been a desired trait for years

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ADVENT propaganda is really good.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It's the snakes that got tits, not the sectoids.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Given a spear or running I am going to try the spear first if I can keep my nerves. The whole thing with spears is if you have a charging animal you don't try to stab it, you let the animals own momentum so it spears itself. If it backs off you can retreat in good order. Of all melee weapons spears/pole arms are the easiest to use that's why everyone got one back then from the peasant to the Phalanxes. It goes without saying don't do this with Rhinos, elephants, etc because what's wrong with you.

Not sure how true it is but flaming boars were against elephants to scare the poo poo out of them so they would run away preferably through their own lines.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Is there any part of a five piece suit that's useful against boar attacks?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The codpiece. Tusks are murder on the groin.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Given a spear or running I am going to try the spear first if I can keep my nerves. The whole thing with spears is if you have a charging animal you don't try to stab it, you let the animals own momentum so it spears itself. If it backs off you can retreat in good order. Of all melee weapons spears/pole arms are the easiest to use that's why everyone got one back then from the peasant to the Phalanxes. It goes without saying don't do this with Rhinos, elephants, etc because what's wrong with you.

Not sure how true it is but flaming boars were against elephants to scare the poo poo out of them so they would run away preferably through their own lines.

Supposedly it was their squeals that unnerved them. Who knows. A boar can't really hurt an elephant, it's just to big.

Humans are very privileged to be tech monsters, could imagine fistfighting even something like a goat? It'd gently caress you right up.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

To be fair, the squealing wouldn't be so great on my nerves either.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Baronjutter posted:

I feel bad that dude got killed by a boar. I thought he was just generally knocked down and playing dead until his useless friends/family rescued him.

He was probably playing dead, but his useless pals thought he was actually dead, so he actually died. :rip:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

Supposedly Japan is having more and more problems with wildlife because there aren’t enough hunters anymore to control the population. The licensing is expensive and difficult for most people to deal with these days.
Sweden has the same problem with boar. Too many of them, not enough people hunting them, and they don't have any natural predators of significance.

While we have a relatively large amount of hunters, a lot of them don't bother with boar because the meat isn't that good compared to deer or moose. Also boar here can carry trichinella so if you kill one you need to send a sample of the meat off for analysis before it can be sold or eaten. The analysis is free, but it's still an annoying step to have to take.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

oohhboy posted:

Then you’re an idiot who would end up dead or heavily scarred. As mentioned earlier, if a boar is coming at you there isn’t really any target area available to you that isn’t it’s stupid-thick skull. If you’re trying to rely on it’s own momentum that’s even worse because after your spear glances off it’s cheek or forehead you’ve now got a 200+ pound pork tank moving at full speed and too close for you to try and spear again or run away from.

LentThem posted:

Maybe getting beaten with the shovel by accident messed him up

Dude probably got one of those major leg arteries cut. That’ll end things pretty quickly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

My hanzo steel katana will cut any boar in half

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
clearly china needs to corporate spy some of the west's boar killing technology, judging from all the boarkillologists itt

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jeoh posted:

My hanzo steel katana will cut any boar in half

while you were busy stabbing boats with spears, I studied the blade

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Boiled Water posted:

while you were busy stabbing boats with spears,
No, only a boat can stand against boat, that's a fact known by all stalwart front line defenders of the Middle Kingdom's omni-sovreignity of the South China Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Boiled Water posted:

while you were busy stabbing boats with spears, I studied the blade

Should have studied a real weapon, like a spear.

• Locked thread