Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good day, guys. I'm thinking about spreading my wings, pedalboard-wise and use more than the 4 or 5 effects I normally have (Delay -> Tremolo -> Decimator -> OD). Tell me: Is it true that the MXR Micro Amp will help with potential loss of volume for something like a 10 stomp-box pedalboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Good day, guys. I'm thinking about spreading my wings, pedalboard-wise and use more than the 4 or 5 effects I normally have (Delay -> Tremolo -> Decimator -> OD). Tell me: Is it true that the MXR Micro Amp will help with potential loss of volume for something like a 10 stomp-box pedalboard?

Yes the MXR Micro Amp has a buffer that helps with signal loss. However you don't necessary need one. I'd recommend getting more pedals and then see if you actual lose any signal. At that point you can investigate buffers, there are several dedicated ones that are super cheap (Unless you just happen to want a micro amp, then by all means get one :D)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MXR Micro Amp is a clean boost so pretty much exactly for buffer issues.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fyodor posted:

MXR Micro Amp is a clean boost so pretty much exactly for buffer issues.

It's also a great way to level things out for different guitar/pickups if you leave it on all the time. Make the lowest setting the one you use for your hottest guitar and turn it up slightly for anything with weaker pickups. That way, you don't have to worry about changing the volumes on pedals downstream. :science:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Where do you guys put your JFET-based dirt boxes in your signal chain like this custom one that will be here in a couple weeks and maybe I'm excited:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Earlier in the chain the better for me. That art is super sick, I'll have to look at that builder.

Is anyone else excited for the Mooer Ocean Machine? Never owned a Mooer but I've been real into Devy lately and I wouldn't mind downsizing my T2+Supernatural+maybe the Afterneath but probably not that one into one pedal. I could possibly even shift my looper out since the OM has a solid one. It sounds silly to me but it may be my perfect holy grail delay/reverb after learning about how it works.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 23, 2017

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
the color of my socks affects my guitar tone - i am obnoxious

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah so that HM-2 was just ... a bit much. I also got rid of my MXR MicroAmp+ - that was actually a good pedal, but so clean and crispy to the extent it almost felt clinical and it didn't 'inspire me'.

Honestly the only things that have blown me out of the water consistently have been my Catalinbread Talisman and BOSS DM-2w: everything else has been a bit rubbish compared to the clean/dirty on my Friedman.

Maybe I should look in a different alley - SP Compressor, EP booster, etc. ? I used to be a huge fan of modulation and watching That Pedal Show on Youtube gets me excited about all kinds of wacky things: but they seem so situational. Maybe I need to write more of my own music to realise them beyond 'oh this is the wah bit of the solo'

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Southern Heel posted:

Yeah so that HM-2 was just ... a bit much. I also got rid of my MXR MicroAmp+ - that was actually a good pedal, but so clean and crispy to the extent it almost felt clinical and it didn't 'inspire me'.

Honestly the only things that have blown me out of the water consistently have been my Catalinbread Talisman and BOSS DM-2w: everything else has been a bit rubbish compared to the clean/dirty on my Friedman.

Maybe I should look in a different alley - SP Compressor, EP booster, etc. ? I used to be a huge fan of modulation and watching That Pedal Show on Youtube gets me excited about all kinds of wacky things: but they seem so situational. Maybe I need to write more of my own music to realise them beyond 'oh this is the wah bit of the solo'

Maybe you won't be as picky as I apparently am about compressors, but read up on the types a bit before pulling the trigger. I was all set to consider the SP until I asked lord Google why I hated the Dynacomp so much and found loads of info on the major types of compressors, how the circuits differ, how they behave, etc... Based on that I found out that I apparently can't stand Ross compressors, and went "optical with a bright dial and a blend", ergo the Pigtronix option and yep, I love the thing.

Trip report on Source Audio Lunar Phaser: the "classic" and "univibe" algorithms out of the box are worth the price of admission. I haven't even touched the editor. Set the classic at the right pulse tempo and it's like having a nice subtle wash over chords and a nice almost-wah over single note. Univbe is pretty much just for throwing shitloads of gain on and sounding like Hendrix... but it does it and it's fun as hell.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Alleric posted:

Maybe you won't be as picky as I apparently am about compressors, but read up on the types a bit before pulling the trigger. I was all set to consider the SP until I asked lord Google why I hated the Dynacomp so much and found loads of info on the major types of compressors, how the circuits differ, how they behave, etc... Based on that I found out that I apparently can't stand Ross compressors, and went "optical with a bright dial and a blend", ergo the Pigtronix option and yep, I love the thing.

Trip report on Source Audio Lunar Phaser: the "classic" and "univibe" algorithms out of the box are worth the price of admission. I haven't even touched the editor. Set the classic at the right pulse tempo and it's like having a nice subtle wash over chords and a nice almost-wah over single note. Univbe is pretty much just for throwing shitloads of gain on and sounding like Hendrix... but it does it and it's fun as hell.

Source audio makes good poo poo. I've always loved toying with them.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Does anyone here have a TC Electronic Mimiq? I've been looking at this thing and it sounds fantastic in demos, and I'm pretty sure I'll pick one up because gently caress it, instant double tracking for demos? Sweet as.

I have one question for anyone that has it though. Are you able to set it to 2 dubs and set it to be completely wet such that your dry signal goes in and from the output (in stereo) you get only two individual wet tracks? I'm thinking that would mean you could take two DI tracks, "reamp" it straight back in and get six total tracks that mesh from only two working takes. Then you can reamp for real and experiment and stuff. I just like the idea of having a bunch of tracks so effortlessly, especially since just noodling I like to do at least two tracks to get an idea of the sound I'm going for.

Edit: Although now I'm thinking I'd run into some phase issues at least when going mono. Any thoughts or advice?

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 2, 2017

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
really considerign getting a uverbia and mounting it on teh back of my amp

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Guys whats a nice cheap n easy compressor out there these days? Mostly looking for that RnB sound, play single coils through Fender amps.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Otis Reddit posted:

Guys whats a nice cheap n easy compressor out there these days? Mostly looking for that RnB sound, play single coils through Fender amps.

EH do one that is nice for the price:

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/electro-...Cb9fBoCs3Pw_wcB

Apart from that I have Wampler thing that is more expensive but seems good. I'm still learning it though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Any dyna comp clone. Biyang do a decent one.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Seriously, pop survey - how many modulation pedals do you all have, and how often do you use them? I'm really honestly trying to find a reason for a permanent modulation effect on my board like a Phase 90 or Electric Mistress or whatever, but really they seem SO situational.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Southern Heel posted:

Seriously, pop survey - how many modulation pedals do you all have, and how often do you use them? I'm really honestly trying to find a reason for a permanent modulation effect on my board like a Phase 90 or Electric Mistress or whatever, but really they seem SO situational.

about 5 and alot

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Southern Heel posted:

Two dedicated ones and two with ability.

MXR234: Purchased on crazy sale from Musician's Friend last year on the notion of "hrm... I should have SOME kind of mod on the board". It's incredible. I use very, very slight amounts, and never too much depth at all. The tone stack on the modulated signal is AWESOME. Overall the thing is lush as hell and is so far beyond what I expected. It just sounds so drat good. It let's you do everything from 80's pop, metal cleans, leslie'ish stuff. It is very situational, yes, but at low settings it's a great way to pull all of the low end right out and make a snappy, percussive tone.

Source Audio Lunar Phaser: Christmas present from my family. This thing is just jaw-drop good, and I haven't even waded into the editor. You can Gilmour all day on the classic setting and Hendrix all night on the Univibe setting. The poly-phaser setting is too much for me. You can change the shape of the modulation wave from sin to square to suit your fancy too.

The last one is actually both of my environmental pedals: TC Hall of Fame and TC Flashback. Each of them have an algorithm labelled "mod", and have the ability in their editors to bring in a bit of modulation into their respective effects. On the HoF, I almost never use it, on the Flashback it lets me have my TonePrint spot loaded up with an Andy Summers EchoPlex setting, and I love it. So much so that I figure one of these days I'll ditch the Flashback and go with somebody else's analog tape echo pedal, or a modern carbon copy with modulation.

I figure the Mistress is going to make you sound like Andy Summers all day every day. As much as I love the sound, that's why I didn't get one. I can cheese almost the same sound with the MXR234 and do so many other things. But, alas... I don't play out, I don't gig, I don't jam, so I can only talk about the quality of the ones I have, not their usage pattern. I would think for classic rock, gainy stuff a phase 90 and calling it good would do you?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Have: shitloads. Use: 2-3. I generally have a Red Witch Moon Phaser on all the time with a dummy plus in the second output jack, makes it a lot more subtle. Usually an MXR 134 chorus or the old one with its own power cable, or a JC-77. Recently added an EQD Depths, sounds really good sandwiched between drive and fuzz. I like vibey phasers and pretty choruses, and am pretty indifferent to flangers.

Just to be different, last practice I played straight into the amp, which I never do, but it worked out well.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Gorgar posted:

Have: shitloads. Use: 2-3. I generally have a Red Witch Moon Phaser on all the time with a dummy plus in the second output jack, makes it a lot more subtle. Usually an MXR 134 chorus or the old one with its own power cable, or a JC-77. Recently added an EQD Depths, sounds really good sandwiched between drive and fuzz. I like vibey phasers and pretty choruses, and am pretty indifferent to flangers.

Just to be different, last practice I played straight into the amp, which I never do, but it worked out well.

Is the red witch the one that's based on the small stone?

Never found something I really liked more than my 70s small stone that no longer exists.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fyodor posted:

Where do you guys put your JFET-based dirt boxes in your signal chain like this custom one that will be here in a couple weeks and maybe I'm excited:

Finally got this beast in and holy moly if you ever wanted to sound like Sleep-era Matt Pike this is it. What confuses me is that I have other JFET-based pedals and some of them happily gobble up an 18v input for added headroom whilst the Dunn Apostle, shown above, is also JFET but can only handle a 9v input.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Not that many really, but...
EH Stereo Pulsar trem pedal, I use this most. You can get all the sounds you'd expect and also it's good just as a shimmer on longer gainier chords.
Digitech Ventura Vibe - I got this to try and make noises a bit like Black Hole Sun and it does it, sort of, but everything has a chorus type sound to it, I dunno, if you for instance use the suggested settings for say Lucy In The Sky then it kind of sounds like it, but more like a dude playing it on a cheap keyboard. I'm selling it and going back to plan A which is a Mesa Rotosphere.
EH Memory Toy - Does exactly what I want which is a simple but clean delay and then I get it to feedback and make mad Hawkwind woosh noises which is cool and fun.
That's it! Does a wah count? I dunno.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I run danelectro vibe and trem, a bad stone, and a visual sound chorus on my current board (I use an electric mistress and a boss chorus in addition when recording) most have specific uses for rhythm and noise parts but what I've found much more useful is having something subtle on when playing lead or soloing. A little phase or vibe thickens the heck out of the tone and gives some extra movement and interest. Wouldn't have a board without some kind of whoosh pedal on it even though I very rarely use actual whooshing now.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

hanales posted:

Is the red witch the one that's based on the small stone?

Never found something I really liked more than my 70s small stone that no longer exists.

Not that I know of. It's got a few settings with tremolo added, like their Medusa chorus. I use it on a sort of univibey setting.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
thank u friends

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I have a Joyo Phaser (which I insist sounds better than the actual Phase 90, especially if you tweak the internal trim pot a little) and I just got a Malekko Chorus to replace my Ibanez Chorus. I use them pretty frequently, although often I'll just have one on my board at a time to save space depending on which I feel like that day. I also run both of them before my dirt pedals, which I think is somewhat counter to conventional wisdom but I think they sound way better that way, especially the phaser.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I don't play guitar so take w/ a grain of salt but...

There's some sounds effects are essential for, like lots of synth stuff you NEED chorus on or eg anything that you use a flanger for. But then they can ruin other sounds too.

For me the rule of thumb is if you're not sure you need it, you don't need it. The other one is flange the god-damned hats/breaks/rimshots/etc.

Who else is using pedals on non-string stuff?

Been having a blast with my cheap BF-2, DS-1, and drum machine into a Mackie. I'm curious about drive stuff too - I'm hunting a klon clone cause people seem to only use those on guitars, and I ordered a Muff kit to start getting into DIY.

I had a dream (I think?) I saw a youtube demo of a TR-909 kick drum going through a Boss AC-3 acoustic simulator pedal and it made the weirdest, rawest techno kick sounds but I have not been able to track down the demo I dreamt/imagined since so I have no idea if I'm on to something or just hallucinating after too many reverb pages.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

Who else is using pedals on non-string stuff?

Been having a blast with my cheap BF-2, DS-1, and drum machine into a Mackie. I'm curious about drive stuff too - I'm hunting a klon clone cause people seem to only use those on guitars, and I ordered a Muff kit to start getting into DIY.

I often run my drum machine into a Sansamp Bass DI. Adds some crunch and gives it a fatter sound.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have a Joyo Phaser (which I insist sounds better than the actual Phase 90, especially if you tweak the internal trim pot a little) and I just got a Malekko Chorus to replace my Ibanez Chorus. I use them pretty frequently, although often I'll just have one on my board at a time to save space depending on which I feel like that day. I also run both of them before my dirt pedals, which I think is somewhat counter to conventional wisdom but I think they sound way better that way, especially the phaser.

I got given a Joyo clean boost pedal from Christmas and I'm not going to lie it is better than my T C Spark, they make great stuff these days

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
For the most part circuits are circuits the only difference is quality control of the company. I had a joyo chorus doa so never messed with them after that

Even the nicer pedals you are posting for "quality parts" which that usually means they test the tolerances closer not there are "magical diodes" bs

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I run my theremin through my pedals on occasion. Usually just a delay but running it through my old DOD Deathmetal really beefs up the tone. Wah on theremin is cool too but sometimes it's too many limbs moving at once.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

As far as modulation goes I don't actually own any pedals, despite having four (six if you count the amp channels) kinds of dirt. I love, love, love phasers though. Flangers are pretty cool, but if I were to get one I'd get one that does both flanger and chorus. I am not a fan of wah. Like, at all. I admire those who get cool sounds but I don't like it for myself.

The rest are really effects I'd like to have but would use so rarely. Vibe, trem, etc. Phaser is really one of the only modulation sounds (I'm not counting delay and reverb in modulation) I feel I regularly use or need.

On another note, this may be a longshot but does anyone have experience with the Jet City Shockwave distortion pedal? I've had it for years now, but I swear it's dying or something. Bypassed it's bypassed, but when I kick it on it actually drops my volume, even with the volume knob maxed. It's super evident when I use my interface and AmpliTube because it actually drops the distorted sound lower than my clean sound, which is weird. Not just in perception either, I've seen the dB peaks and it's definitely quieter.

It was getting kicked off my board when I needed space anyway but I swear it used to have unity and volume boost. Anyone else? I'm obviously not going to send it somewhere for repair when I can get a new one for AUD$65.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

As far as modulation goes I don't actually own any pedals, despite having four (six if you count the amp channels) kinds of dirt. I love, love, love phasers though. Flangers are pretty cool, but if I were to get one I'd get one that does both flanger and chorus. I am not a fan of wah. Like, at all. I admire those who get cool sounds but I don't like it for myself.

The rest are really effects I'd like to have but would use so rarely. Vibe, trem, etc. Phaser is really one of the only modulation sounds (I'm not counting delay and reverb in modulation) I feel I regularly use or need.

Yeah I don't care for flanger or wah. Some people can use wah pedals in a cool way I guess, but it's not for me.

I didn't realize tremolo counted as a modulation effect, I've got a trem pedal I use pretty frequently in like a very overt rhythmic way, usually that's an effect that when I use I have to kind of build the whole song around it (a la Mission of Burma).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I use wah in two songs, one is one slow sweep of the wah while sliding up an octave on one note, twice in the song, the other time is more traditional but it's a slightly faster wah sound on one riff twice. I tend to do that with effects, just now and then will do for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I used to have one of those Ibanez synth bass pedals that had an auto wah function, and sometimes setting an auto wah/envelope filter (I don't really know the difference) to an ultra slow speed is kinda cool, gives it like a very trebly phaser sound, kinda like in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CWPgD35_Xs

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

A thing which got me thinking about effects differently was an interview I read with Andy Summers, where he talked about how his playing ethos was an attempt to get away from what he saw as "gig rock guitar cliches" at the time. So instead he played as minimally as possible and used ambient effects to fill out the space.

I was stuck in the muso mindset of "good players dont need effects, effects are just the icing on the cake, if you cant play without effects you are a scrub blah blah", so I treated modulations as an extra thing on top of my already busy playing - Which made them pointless at best and obnoxious at worst. But the whole point of his playing is that it doesn't sound right without the effects, because the part was written around it. The sound effect and the guitar part are a cohesive whole.

If you don't need an effect, don't use one. If you have an effect you like the sound of, embrace it and write a part that uses it to the fullest. But don't "try to find reasons to use it" by cramming it in somewhere.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 6, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean Andy Summers got tons of mileage out of chorus pedals so hey

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Anyone ever build their own pedal board? I just had a massive gear sell off and in turn bought a bunch of effects pedals. Haven't had any sort of effects board since 2012 or something like that. I bought a plank of 1/2" baltic birch from home depot and started getting to designing. I ordered a power plug and jacks so I can mount them on the side and am going to solder some cables and all that.

Here's what I have so far, trying to find some pedal dimensions online is a chore so I kind of winged some of them

Trying a three tier with a cutout for a couple expression pedals. I always run with my diamond comp on so that's stuffed in the back behind the volume pedals.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
You should account for the cables, pedals aren't going to sit flush next to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Pokey Araya posted:

You should account for the cables, pedals aren't going to sit flush next to each other.

Yeah, also power is going to go all over the place so plan for that as well.

http://pedalboardplanner.com This site, while pedaltrain specific, can help you estimate sizes and spacing.

Don't buy george L cables.

Are you going to gig? Because the worst thing about a custom board is a good case that doesn't rip your arm out of your socket. I used to have a heavy duty wood board with a wood case, drat thing weighed more than my amp.