Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

EpicNemesis posted:

Sometimes I feel like Apple begrudgingly capitulates to popular demand, and intentionally neuters those features as a final gently caress you.

Yes I know this is not the case. Just sometimes their decisions are confusing.

I think it definitely is after the whole 3rd party keyboards thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Updated to 2.0 last night, and now today my watch refuses to see my phone, shows unconnected all of the time. Beyond annoying. Any tips on how to possibly restore the connection?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there an alarm app, preferably one that works with nightstand mode, that lets you use music instead of the default alarm sound?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I was having trouble with the connection to my phone too - not complete disconnection, but complications failing to receive data and whatnot.

I unpaired and re-paired the phone last night and so far it seems to have taken care of it. Note, it was a long (but simple) process since it's basically the equivalent of wiping and reinstalling everything on the watch.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

smr posted:

Updated to 2.0 last night, and now today my watch refuses to see my phone, shows unconnected all of the time. Beyond annoying. Any tips on how to possibly restore the connection?
Have you tried unpairing the watch, maybe rebooting everything, then re-pairing?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I'm having major battery issues. I was running the GM, and then got the update notification two nights ago. Fully charged by my bedside at night, took it off the charger around 6:30 AM and got the 10% battery notification around noon. Not sure if having the beta installed at one point is the culprit, but I'll likely have to reset and repair to see if that fixes the issue.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The newest Dark Sky is just crashing on launch for me. Supposedly some people are experiencing this for all 3rd party native applications.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Dark Sky is in "Complications" on my phone's Watch app. :ohdear:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
one guy i follow said try reinstalling thebapp on your phone

also my inoperable apple watch is making me feel cool

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

gret posted:

The newest Dark Sky is just crashing on launch for me. Supposedly some people are experiencing this for all 3rd party native applications.

Other than an initial 'hey dark sky doesn't know my location until I uninstall/reinstall' my watchOS2 and 3rd party complication thing has been flawless, along with my battery life too.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
May have been mentioned, but darksky requires your phone to have all its boxes ticked in settings. Location, privacy blah blah.

Also, just saw on the Twitter that Fantastical is propagating and has a Complication.

(Edit) can I be that guy that bitches about Carrot weather? $4, then $2 a year for the complication? Just loving charge the six bucks. I hate IAP.

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 24, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

pipebomb posted:

Also, just saw on the Twitter that Fantastical is propagating and has a Complication.

EPIC! Best calendar app ever.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

pipebomb posted:

(Edit) can I be that guy that bitches about Carrot weather? $4, then $2 a year for the complication? Just loving charge the six bucks. I hate IAP.

Thank you for this. I was going to buy it, but not with subscription pricing. gently caress that noise.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

pipebomb posted:

May have been mentioned, but darksky requires your phone to have all its boxes ticked in settings. Location, privacy blah blah.

They (Carrot) also change the complication to the 'premium' wind speed one and you have to jump through a hoop or two to change it back since there is no obvious way to change it back to normal
(You have to tap the eye in the phone app, punch in a command string and then reload the app on your watch)

I do enjoy using it so far. I also have the app on my Mac at home for the updates you can get from that.

Looking forward to Fantastical though

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
what is complication

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

noirstronaut posted:

what is complication

Did you do even the slightest bit of research into the useless thing you have on your wrist before you bought it?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did you do even the slightest bit of research into the useless thing you have on your wrist before you bought it?

lol of course not

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Why'd you have to go and make things so complication?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

LMAO I can't believe they're really called complications by a company that claims their products are simple and "just work"

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Apple are retards for respecting horological language. Why can't they just dumb it down and call them Clock Widgets?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

power botton posted:

LMAO I can't believe they're really called complications by a company that claims their products are simple and "just work"
That's the term for the same thing on any watch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who is a big watch nerd that objected to calling them complications because the engineering of real complications was a lot harder. Yeah buddy, a doppler radar's readings are used to automatically predict when it will rain, and that information is then relayed through multiple servers before wirelessly ending up on my watch face to tell me of an impending storm. Nothing complicated about that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I can't find any info about it other than 9000 people quoting one vague line on Apple's site, but does anyone know if the 42mm model actually ended up having a measurably longer battery life than the 38mm?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
I had the 38 first, and now the 42. I can easily go a full 7a-11p day and have at least 50% left.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've found the 42 to have about another 60-90 min more of battery on average.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i was never an idiot so the 42mm is all i can give you details about

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

noirstronaut posted:

i was never an idiot

Until you posted that comment.

I bought a hand-me-down 38mm (lol idiot alert) and I actually see 42mm as too big on people's wrist?

Now that custom watch faces are a thing, it would be nice to have a larger screen to view photos on, but honestly, the watch is a notification machine on your wrist. It's ok if it's a few millimeters smaller.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
The battery life is great. I fell asleep with my watch on last night and it didn't need charging until late this afternoon. Pretty close to two days usage for me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

pipebomb posted:

I had the 38 first, and now the 42. I can easily go a full 7a-11p day and have at least 50% left.

monkeu posted:

The battery life is great. I fell asleep with my watch on last night and it didn't need charging until late this afternoon. Pretty close to two days usage for me.

Do you guys, or anyone else getting this kind of battery life, have any features turned off?

I asked the original question because I've had a 38mm sport for six days now, and under what I would consider light use I'm not seeing anything close to that -- in fact after 16 hours I'm seeing 10-20% battery life left, which is why I asked about the 42mm version because an extra hour would make for a good buffer (which I can't believe I just typed about a watch, but I digress).

What I'm calling light use would be this typical day:

Mostly black watch face
Wrist twist detection on
Heart rate monitor on
Logging a 20 minute workout.
~ 20 email notifications
~ 15 app notifications
5 uses of Siri
3-4 timers in the 10-20 minute range (using Siri, but not included in the above 5)
2 uses of Apple Pay
Using maybe 15 Glances per day, not counting the swipes between them

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Do you guys, or anyone else getting this kind of battery life, have any features turned off?

I asked the original question because I've had a 38mm sport for six days now, and under what I would consider light use I'm not seeing anything close to that -- in fact after 16 hours I'm seeing 10-20% battery life left, which is why I asked about the 42mm version because an extra hour would make for a good buffer (which I can't believe I just typed about a watch, but I digress).

What I'm calling light use would be this typical day:

Mostly black watch face
Wrist twist detection on
Heart rate monitor on
Logging a 20 minute workout.
~ 20 email notifications
~ 15 app notifications
5 uses of Siri
3-4 timers in the 10-20 minute range (using Siri, but not included in the above 5)
2 uses of Apple Pay
Using maybe 15 Glances per day, not counting the swipes between them

My usage is about the same, but I use runkeeper for my exercise and not the built in exercise app. I think the Apple exercise app has the heart rate monitor running 100% of the time when you're using it so maybe that's what's doing it?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Might be New Gadget Syndrome. It's new and you're playing around a lot with it unconsciously. I don't use Glances as much but even when I do, I typically get 40%-50% charge remaining on a 8-10 day with my 38mm. I typically have 30-40 minute workouts, a few timers, iMessage notifications, farting around with watch faces, Siri, answering messages... no features turned off except notifications for most apps. The battery emptied fast the day after the 2.0 update but other than that it was fine. If you like the way 42mm looks on your wrist and can afford it, go for it. It's unlikely the battery life is gonna be worse.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Found out what a complication was.

What's the best dock for this thing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I wear mine from 8AM to 7AM every day. Overnight it tracks sleep. At 7AM when I plug it in it typically has 30-50% battery life depending on whether I exercised that day or not. 42mm model.

If your phone is hitting the 10-20% range in just one day, you can try unpairing and repairing it. This seems to help some folks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

noirstronaut posted:

Found out what a complication was.

What's the best dock for this thing.

I got this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0109I9W24?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Ten bucks. No frills. Just how I like it.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So i just got a 38mm black sport as a early/super late christmas gift. (Mom had no idea what to get me, so she just got me one of these.) Seems like a neat piece of tech. Hopefully I wear it, I have other watchs that I don't wear anymore because I'm digging through server racks now and don't want to scratch them up.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Just bang it against your desk and scratch it up a little, then you won't give a poo poo anymore.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Has anyone tried a JeTech loop band from Amazon? I have their link bracelet which is ok. I'm wondering about a black milanese on a space gray. I'm worried it will be too big for me, the Apple one was just about at its minimum size to fit properly. Also curious if their colored leather loops are decent quality, they look identical to the Apple one in pictures.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Mattavist posted:

Just bang it against your desk and scratch it up a little, then you won't give a poo poo anymore.

Door jambs and shopping carts work for this too.

Eago: get the AppleCare. You will stop worrying as much.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Only twice since I've got my watch (42mm) in May have I come even remotely close to having low battery power. Both times were times that my charging brick (a large multi port unit) had come unloosed from the wall and wasn't delivering power and I didn't notice when I put my watch on the dock. In each of these instances I had 11% battery life left after having taken it off the charger in the morning of the previous day, so I basically got 2 days battery life out of it.

When I bother to check the battery at the end of a day, which is almost never its such a non issue, its around 55-60%. Right now its at 57% and I've had it on and used it all day, which is going on ~16 hours at this point and since today is Saturday I probably use it a little bit more than on weekdays. I even enabled the longer life screen duration on tap in watchos2 and its not making a dent but its probably because I frequently cover the watch with my hand to turn off the screen when I finish doing something beyond a wrist raise with it.

I have wrist detection turned on, alert notifications mirroring my iphone, prominent haptic, sound muted, 70 second screen duration on tap, heart rate and fitness tracking enabled. I don't log any workouts or use fitness apps because there isn't one for being a dad who has a small energizer bunny for a son.

Things I do in order of frequency frequently
1: Multiple times per hour - I use the modular face so I check time, weather (Dark Sky) and calendar constantly since they are all complications on the face. I live and die by my Exchange calendar at work, so seeing what meetings are coming up, in what conference room, call in number, etc
2: 60-200 emails, mainly work related. Being able to glance at the emails I get a work day can help my strategic ignoring process. Being able to quickly glance and file it away as important/not important is handy
3: 15-20 text messages and frequently respond (about 50/50 canned custom text and voice dictation)
4: 4-6 timers (via complication) a day
5: Phone call alerts, I swear to god with the phone in my pocket on vibrate I don't notice 80% of my calls. Occasionally I answer from the watch
6: 1-3 times a day - reference some note I just dropped in OneNote on my PC about some phone number, server address, to-do/shopping list, etc
Occasionally I pull up the full app for dark sky, calendar, email/text messages but I mainly just deal with those by responding as they come in.

Based on bits I've seen from people complaining about poor battery life, workouts always seems to be a common theme. I'm guessing workout apps near constant use of the heart rate sensor and motion/etc really suck down the battery. The other thing I've noticed is people who use one of the complicated, graphics rich watch faces. Long ago I settled on Modular in all white, which has the least amount of graphics to render, emits the least light and in the most efficient color for OLEDs. I don't think the blue/green of mail/message notifications are up long enough to use a sizable amount of power, but if you were checking your watch frequently and you had the animated, high color Motion face with the butterfly or whatever it probably sucks down a bit more power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I used my Watch all day and got to around 65%

• Locked thread