Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i miss john candy so much

John Candy was Mr. Mambo's spirit animal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMo_XWtlfkE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What should I write on my resignation paper?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SMDFTB

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Booblord Zagats posted:

Also, in dad news, after the little guy passed out lastnight the little lady put on Blues Brothers because she wanted to watch a movie about music and hadn't seen it before. She ended up loving it, now I gotta start ring shopping I guess

should have put a ring on it when you put a baby in it :colbert:

Woof Blitzer posted:

What should I write on my resignation paper?

"I've accepted a new position at <x> my last day will be <y>," and then some praise about where you're leaving/your current boss so you don't burn any bridges and can use them as a reference in the future. Also ask for a letter of recommendation :dings:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

should have put a ring on it when you put a baby in it :colbert:

gently caress that noise, do you know how loving great her benefits are for being a single mother in terms of FAFSA, school poo poo and WIC? If we were married it would be financially retarded. I already pay 48k in taxes every year, might as well put some of that poo poo to work buying formula and making her degree substantially cheaper

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just send them your offer letter for your new place.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I wrote mine stating that I was resigning from the company and what my last day was. It's simply a formality.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I need a tv. Like a 32 or 40 inch tv I guess. I have amazon prime but not netflix or whatever. Streaming is such a nightmare because every service has its own ridiculous rules and rotating content.

Do I need a smart tv that connects to wifi and whatever? Can I just plug my laptop into an hdmi port and watch whatever I can play on my laptop? No comment on where the content is coming from.

Is there a better way? I haven't owned a tv in years so gently caress me I guess.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I use my PS4 for streaming via HDMI. SmartTVs have wifi and all your favorite streaming services downloadable. If there is an HDMI port (which all modern tvs have) you can plug your laptop into it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Get any decently priced, well-reviewed Samsung TV and a chrome stick/roku/apple tv.

Or better yet a PlayStation 4 for a few hundred bucks

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have a Samsung smart tv c. 2014 and the smart tv features are loving atrocious.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Get any decently priced, well-reviewed Samsung TV and a chrome stick/roku/apple tv.

Or better yet a PlayStation 4 for a few hundred bucks

This.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

newer TVs have decent smart features these days that are more than usable. May have a poor app selection, though.

Samsung KS8000 is a pretty dope TV. I think right now is when the new year TVs start dropping so there should be some decent deals out there

https://www.slickdeals.net is a good source

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Get a Chromecast and plug that into your TV. You can stream drat near anything to it from your phone or computer.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

Get a Chromecast and plug that into your TV. You can stream drat near anything to it from your phone or computer.

So can anyone on your network.

Which can lead to some funny jokes.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

Does chromecast actually work now because in 2013 / 2014 it was hot garbage that regularly stopped working

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hacked firestick is also dope too if you're a bit tech savvy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Plex is a good idea too

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Two Finger posted:

Plex is a good idea too

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
i bought a 46" roku tv for like $300 and it's been great. It's a TCL, nice picture and the roku OS is p easy to work with.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Zeris posted:

I need a tv. Like a 32 or 40 inch tv I guess. I have amazon prime but not netflix or whatever. Streaming is such a nightmare because every service has its own ridiculous rules and rotating content.

Do I need a smart tv that connects to wifi and whatever? Can I just plug my laptop into an hdmi port and watch whatever I can play on my laptop? No comment on where the content is coming from.

You can do this if your laptop has an hdmi port sure.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chromecast can stream EVERYTHING except Amazon because lmao why would it be able to :shepicide:

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Zeris posted:

Is there a better way? I haven't owned a tv in years so gently caress me I guess.

I'd say avoid a smart tv if possible because the lack of updates.
Then add an Nvidia shield. It has the amazon app. Then you can add SPMC or Kodi and be set with something that's actually supported and receives updates.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Smart TV is pretty much standard these days. You'd probably end up paying more trying to get a TV with equivalent features without the smart aspects, unless it's a pos 720p $250 TV

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Smart TV is pretty much standard these days. You'd probably end up paying more trying to get a TV with equivalent features without the smart aspects, unless it's a pos 720p $250 TV

Point still stands the UI on smart tvs suck compared to something like the shield that is supported beyond one or two updates.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Actually a POS 720p tv is severely my poo poo, I don't care I just want big screen watch tv, I don't need some magical a/v experience

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stop buying lovely streaming boxes and just plug a loving laptop into your TV

I swear, I've gotten 100x the mileage out of my $500 hunk-a-junk than I got out of my Roku, Chromecast, Fire box, etc. etc. etc.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

Buca di Bepis posted:

I swear, I've gotten 100x the mileage out of my $500 hunk-a-junk than I got out of my Roku, Chromecast, Fire box, etc. etc. etc.

All those boxes you mentioned suck.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Buca di Bepis posted:

yeah for me my xbone does the trick just fine plus if i wanna play xcom or whatev it's already there and ready to go

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMXCBE7RkM

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm planning on spending my tax return on a giant 4k tv. I do what I want.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZEUcLRVNmM&t=4s

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm planning on spending my tax return on a giant 4k tv. I do what I want.

what's giant these days. i remember 55" was but now that seems standard

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what's giant these days. i remember 55" was but now that seems standard
I'm thinking at least 65", that's about the point that 4k actually makes sense.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Prices increase so marginally with screen size, as compared to like 5-10 years ago; there's no reason not to go big if you have the space

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I like my new 65" Sony HDTV. Does streaming just fine.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

orange juche posted:

Chromecast can stream EVERYTHING except Amazon because lmao why would it be able to :shepicide:

Yeah, you can totally stream Amazon to your Chromecast with a PC. Just not natively.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Carteret posted:

Yeah, you can totally stream Amazon to your Chromecast with a PC. Just not natively.

Well yes but that kind of undoes the point of a Chromecast if you have to play the thing on the PC and then mirror it to the TV instead of the app natively supporting it.

I guess you get out of having to hook your PC to your TV, but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really like my Xbox one and my Fire TV box.

I don't really miss much between Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu.

• Locked thread