Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Can I hate the wheels? Because those ugly bastards kinda spoil it.

If the form is driven by function, and it functions well, it's gorgeous IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also WHERE'S THE GRILL? Someone at Aston had a seizure when they saw it missing on this, guaranteed.
I didn't think about this until you said this but they actually did a really good job of implying the traditional Aston grille on this design.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

donut posted:

I didn't think about this until you said this but they actually did a really good job of implying the traditional Aston grille on this design.

You can put lipstick on a pig...

(ok, it's a fast as gently caress pig, but still)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Come to my birthday party thread and post some awesome AI car poo poo there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826635

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iospace posted:

You can put lipstick on a pig...

(ok, it's a fast as gently caress pig, but still)

Car is loving beautiful. gently caress the haters.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

MrYenko posted:

Car is loving beautiful. gently caress the haters.

I concur.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This was probably posted around here when it was first published earlier in the year, but I just stumbled on it and wanted to (re)post it because I just love the 90's nonchalantness of the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93CjrQDC0Ic

"Well, that was pretty quick"
"I need more revs please"
"Why would I need a suit?"

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

xzzy posted:

If weight/thickness is that big a deal, why not just paint it on the body and bury it under the clearcoat they're certainly layering over everything?

Paint is heavy!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/04/global-mazda-mx-5-cup-car-built/

quote:

LRR is set up similar to a Mazda dealer and receives cars in the same manner. In its testing, LRR found the single-stage white cars were 15-pounds lighter than the multi-stage colors, so it decide to use only white cars.

(I know that's for a whole car not a badge)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Old German race cars were unpainted for the same reason

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"Old german race car" is nearly slanderous when you're talking about anything Auto Union. It's like calling a Miura an "old Italian car."

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I'm pretty sure silver was the official color of german race cars in that era, while italian were red and GB green. (hence british racing green)

hackbunny posted:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

Paint is heavy!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/04/global-mazda-mx-5-cup-car-built/

(I know that's for a whole car not a badge)

american airlines saves a bunch of money with their polished aluminum planes due to less paint weight being flown around

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

donut posted:

Well gently caress.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Double posting because this is actually great.

http://englishrussia.com/2015/06/28/wolfen-dragon-car/

It appears to have been made a few years ago for some Russian Circus type thing.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

dee eight posted:

I'm pretty sure silver was the official color of german race cars in that era

It was white, in fact, but as soon as they found out how much the paint weighed, they went with bare metal

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

"Old german race car" is nearly slanderous when you're talking about anything Auto Union. It's like calling a Miura an "old Italian car."

I wanted to post more than just interwar grand prix cars, but I couldn't find good photos of unpainted Porsche T64s and so I gave up :shobon:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 13, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Double posting because this is actually great.

http://englishrussia.com/2015/06/28/wolfen-dragon-car/

It appears to have been made a few years ago for some Russian Circus type thing.

Found my car for when I settle in.

That appears to be a GAZ/YAZ frame based off the hangars/splitrearend/hub lockouts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dee eight posted:

I'm pretty sure silver was the official color of german race cars in that era, while italian were red and GB green. (hence british racing green)
Technically we pinched green from the Irish, both to commemorate the relevant 1903 race being held there, and because all our flag's constituent colours had been claimed by someone else.

Actually, red was originally America's colour.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

hackbunny posted:

It was white, in fact, but as soon as they found out how much the paint weighed, they went with bare metal

In the period the Grand Prix cars had maximum weight limit, IIRC 750 kg. The version of the paint story I've heard is that before the first race they found out the cars was slightly overweight. Be leaving out the paint they stayed within the regulations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Technically we pinched green from the Irish, both to commemorate the relevant 1903 race being held there, and because all our flag's constituent colours had been claimed by someone else.

Actually, red was originally America's colour.

Yeah, then we got stuck with dark blue with white stripes and the italians took our glorious red. You thought us invading them first in ww2 was some big tactical thing? Nah, we just wanted to kick their rear end for taking red race cars from us.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

DoLittle posted:

In the period the Grand Prix cars had maximum weight limit, IIRC 750 kg. The version of the paint story I've heard is that before the first race they found out the cars was slightly overweight. Be leaving out the paint they stayed within the regulations.

Yup. Cars were getting too powerful and the organizers thought a maximum weight limit would stop people building even bigger engines.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hackbunny posted:

As were American bombers toward the end of WWII, after we had total air supremacy over the Luftwaffe/IJAA. The paint that weighs fifteen pounds on a car adds up to several hundred pounds on a B-17 or B-29, enough to carry one or two more bombs if you don't paint the plane. Kinda surprised unpainted is so rare in airline liveries -- pretty sure American was the only airline that stuck with (half) polished aluminum into the jet age.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

As were American bombers toward the end of WWII, after we had total air supremacy over the Luftwaffe/IJAA. The paint that weighs fifteen pounds on a car adds up to several hundred pounds on a B-17 or B-29, enough to carry one or two more bombs if you don't paint the plane. Kinda surprised unpainted is so rare in airline liveries -- pretty sure American was the only airline that stuck with (half) polished aluminum into the jet age.

Keeping the polish up is more labour and materials expensive. Someone probably did some math. And now it's redundant anyway because airplanes are made of plastic, so they paint them grey.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Keeping the polish up is more labour and materials expensive. Someone probably did some math. And now it's redundant anyway because airplanes are made of plastic, so they paint them grey.

most modern planes are still aluminum skinned

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Finger Prince posted:

Fair play for airliners, I guess, but the point stands for bombers.

BraveUlysses posted:

most modern planes are still aluminum skinned

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Delivery McGee posted:

Fair play for airliners, I guess, but the point stands for bombers.

hey cool i worked on the 787 for 9 years with about 550 delivered over a decade

how many A319, A320, A321, 737 and 777's have been delivered in that time frame? how many total are currently flying?

namaste

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry not a car

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

KakerMix posted:

To bring up fire engines again, this is going to be up for auction in about 24 hours

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-SO1x9RRCjBzl57.htm (you might need to register to see this, apologies if this is the case)

This is a fire-department maintained 1986 Landcruiser, 4WD and manual transmission with just under 5000 miles on the odometer. Diesel. Bidding starts at 440 bucks and I expect it to be sold for under $4k going by how these usually sell. Sadly the fire trucks never come with air conditioning.

What happens when you fill the water tank and floor it? Wheelie fire truck?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wayfinder posted:

Sorry not a car

You might like Radical Ducati or Walt Siegl.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Would die horribly

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wayfinder posted:

Sorry not a car

That's alright. The cycle thread would probably lynch you for posting that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

hey cool i worked on the 787 for 9 years with about 550 delivered over a decade

how many A319, A320, A321, 737 and 777's have been delivered in that time frame? how many total are currently flying?

namaste

Yeah but when it's time for a corporate livery refresh, are you going to do two separate ones, or just design the new one to cover all your airframes, old and new?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's alright. The cycle thread would probably lynch you for posting that.

Why, is it like hacking a classic bike or something?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh boy, I can't wait for a multi-page​ flying-contraption derail.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait for a multi-page​ flying-contraption derail.

Nope, there's a thread for that. Come join us and moan about everything that flies and sometimes there's some cool stuff too. Mainly moaning though. It's pretty great.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Why, is it like hacking a classic bike or something?

An old /5 is sort of a classic bike, I guess -- they're not particularly rare but not particularly common either. No, mostly just that that style of bike is the hellaflush of motorcycles. Everything's done for looks.

- Ancient balloon tires that are outperformed by any modern cheap chinese commuter tire
- No fenders front or rear, so you get sprayed with rocks and muck
- Ridiculously positioned (unrideably low) clip-on handlebars and rear-set foot controls, which would fold you up in a riding position that would be considered pretty over-the-top on a dedicated drag bike
- Needlessly complicated exhaust system that runs the headers directly underneath the gas tank and along your right thigh
- An almost certainly obnoxiously loud barely-legal muffler
- Appears to have no taillight or turn signals (or if they exist, they're tiny invisible LEDs)
- Shrunken fuel tank that probably holds about 70 miles of gas
- Retains the original bike's 1960s-era rear brake, engine design and suspension layout

e: here, because I'm waiting for a 3D print to finish and I'm bored. This is the 50th percentile American male attempting to ride that motorcycle, using anthropometric models directly from The Measure of Man, which is the world reference publication for this sort of thing.

and the same person riding a more conventional sport-standard

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 14, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sagebrush posted:

An old /5 is sort of a classic bike, I guess -- they're not particularly rare but not particularly common either. No, mostly just that that style of bike is the hellaflush of motorcycles. Everything's done for looks.

- Ancient balloon tires that are outperformed by any modern cheap chinese commuter tire
- No fenders front or rear, so you get sprayed with rocks and muck
- Ridiculously positioned (unrideably low) clip-on handlebars and rear-set foot controls, which would fold you up in a riding position that would be considered pretty over-the-top on a dedicated drag bike
- Needlessly complicated exhaust system that runs the headers directly underneath the gas tank and along your right thigh
- An almost certainly obnoxiously loud barely-legal muffler
- Appears to have no taillight or turn signals (or if they exist, they're tiny invisible LEDs)
- Shrunken fuel tank that probably holds about 70 miles of gas
- Retains the original bike's 1960s-era rear brake, engine design and suspension layout

e: here, because I'm waiting for a 3D print to finish and I'm bored. This is the 50th percentile American male attempting to ride that motorcycle, using anthropometric models directly from The Measure of Man, which is the world reference publication for this sort of thing.

Thanks for this. As a non-rider, the only thing I picked up from the pictures was the lack of fenders and the oddball exhaust. Otherwise I had no idea what I was looking at other than a motorcycle that has a fairly interesting look.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush posted:

and the same person riding a more conventional sport-standard

These are really neat. But wouldn't the back be arched more in the first case? Can you do one more for a real race bike?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

These are really neat. But wouldn't the back be arched more in the first case? Can you do one more for a real race bike?
Here's a 5'10" rider on a CBR1000RR. Very race bike.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

wayfinder posted:

Sorry not a car

Designer/builder has taken what my wife would call autistic license.
I had a couple1973 /5s and they were decent transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Locator posted:

Thanks for this. As a non-rider, the only thing I picked up from the pictures was the lack of fenders and the oddball exhaust. Otherwise I had no idea what I was looking at other than a motorcycle that has a fairly interesting look.

Eh, it's fine, it's still an interesting piece of mechanical sculpture. (I'm not a huge fan of the look but to each their own). It's just not very rideable in that form. I think Hellaflush is a good analogy, in that it's kind of taking aesthetic elements that you might see on a high-performance vehicle and exaggerating them to a cartoonish level. Race bikes have cut-down fenders; we have no fenders. Race bikes have low bars; we have the lowest bars. Race bikes have complicated exhaust systems; we have the craziest exhaust system.

It can be a fine line, though. Here's a ridiculous-looking motorcycle that happens to be also one of the best racing machines ever made

kimbo305 posted:

The back might be arched a bit more, yeah, but my models don't support that particular movement. In any case it's not desirable to arch your back when riding -- you want to be in a neutral position. The forward lean on a true sportbike serves a couple of purposes, such as shifting weight to the front tire for better cornering, and pulling you into a racing tuck for better aerodynamics, but it's poo poo for street riding. You have a reduced field of view, the steering leverage that you have is not suited for making quick dodges around potholes and stuff, and you end up supporting a lot of your body weight on your wrists, which is both bad for your wrists and bad for the bike's handling. (At high speeds on a racetrack, the air blast supports your chest and helps you keep weight off the bars).

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 14, 2017