Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Crowley posted:

I'll drop my MS rep a mail on Monday asking about this.

I am honestly really curious what you thought you needed cals for.

Crowley posted:

(I'll still on ahead with the project though.)

I am not emotionally invested in it. Delete whatever you want.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sickening posted:

I am not emotionally invested in it. Delete whatever you want.

Boss' idea.

It's become a Powershell exercise.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
I actually just found two cisco umis in my office, and I can honestly say that I have zero idea how they arrived here and I have nothing that says I purchased them...

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Sickening posted:

My understanding is that it's a Client ACCESS License, so only used when some directly accesses the product, you can make as many users as you want, be it in a SQL CAL license environment or Server OS.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm so glad HTML5, Android, and IOS is killing Java. The faster this happens the happier everybody can be.

Flash too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GoatShaver posted:

I actually just found two cisco umis in my office, and I can honestly say that I have zero idea how they arrived here and I have nothing that says I purchased them...

Were they a shorter lived product than the Flip acquisition? It's hard to tell with Cisco.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

iajanus posted:

Been dealing with calls about this all morning since we have an addin that is critical for all our customers that obviously doesn't run in safe mode.

On the upside, my general email to all clients was a good excuse to tell them all we're ending Office 2010 support as of 31/12/2015 so that was a bonus :getin:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security]
"DisableSafeMode"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security]
"DisableSafeMode"=dword:00000001

Create a .reg file paste that in it, deploy. I've never had an issue with outlook that made me think "Yeah safe mode will fix this" that didn't eventually result in me just rebuilding the profile anyways.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm so glad HTML5, Android, and IOS is killing Java. The faster this happens the happier everybody can be.

You realize that Android apps are written in Java right?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, I was about to say this. I have no idea how anyone could even attempt to believe that Android, of all things, is killing Java.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Their killing web-based java apps, which is great since it's poo poo for web use. It's still widely used for desktop apps in addition to Android. I seem to recall a certain block building program built in java.....

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Volmarias posted:

Android is based on Java, yes. It's been modified to meet the needs of Android, which means the applications built for it are non-transferable to Windows or Apple OS. This actually helps because java developers have somewhere to go to be productive without dropping lovely apps on laptops and desktops.

Porting android apps to Windows requires a lot of work, so the hope is that Windows software development frees itself from every Java developer and client programs are made correctly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Android is based on Java, yes. It's been modified to meet the needs of Android, which means the applications built for it are non-transferable to Windows or Apple OS. This actually helps because java developers have somewhere to go to be productive without dropping lovely apps on laptops and desktops.

Porting android apps to Windows requires a lot of work, so the hope is that Windows software development frees itself from every Java developer and client programs are made correctly.

You're technically correct but there are libraries like libGDX which do allow this, to say nothing of frameworks like Cordova which aren't Java but do provide apps for both Android and iOS.

Regardless, new Java client software development as in applets or JavaFX is realistically dead, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's worth remembering that there are plenty of Java applications out there that are really quite tied to a particular OS. Many of them people have to use at work all day! Java Android programs aren't special for being like that.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

God I love it when pentesters pop Enterprise Admin accounts.

Monday is going to be so much fun.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Mustache Ride posted:

:vince:

Someone is getting a talking to a paddlin' for that one

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 11, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Mustache Ride posted:

That's gotta be the highlight of a pentester's week/month, no?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Volmarias posted:

They were. Dalvik, Android's implementation of Java, has been replaced with Android RunTime as of Android 5.0 (4.4.4 if you had a supported device). The specifics of ART are a little wordy to discuss fully here, but the gist of it is that when you download an app, the server checks the capabilities of your android device and compiles the app specifically for your phone on the fly. Of course there are still apps that haven't been updated but Android has indeed shrugged off its' Java roots.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That's gotta be the highlight of a pentester's week/month, no?

Yeah, she's at the end of her first week of a 2 week engagement.

We're going to leave the EA/DA account she created for herself and get her to do it another way for next week.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RyuHimora posted:

They were. Dalvik, Android's implementation of Java, has been replaced with Android RunTime as of Android 5.0 (4.4.4 if you had a supported device). The specifics of ART are a little wordy to discuss fully here, but the gist of it is that when you download an app, the server checks the capabilities of your android device and compiles the app specifically for your phone on the fly. Of course there are still apps that haven't been updated but Android has indeed shrugged off its' Java roots.
So if I want to write an application for more than ~30% of all Android devices, you're saying I'd need to write it in Java?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RyuHimora posted:

You are confused. Dalvik and ART are both different virtual machines to be targeted, they do not change the language you use. ART opens up access to newer APIs of course, but so did newer versions of Dalvik compared to older versions.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
A page-out came in for a couple devices offline. We did a moderate upgrade last night, so I was a bit worried. When I checked the logs, I found they'd been rebooted 6 hours after our change window, and a good 10 hours after we stopped doing any work.

Somebody did a "UPS Test" at a major data center. Somehow, this brought down EVERYTHING.

Test failed!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Just curious, for those of you out there maintaining a Windows Server infrastructure, how do you manage Windows Updates? Do you take care of it manually?

For my needs I run SCCM against the servers for updates and have dedicated monthly maintenance windows where they can be installed/rebooted, with some script automation used to automatically remove these from monitoring when they go down.

For more complicated servers where we need to validate specific services/functions or reboot the servers in a specific order I'm looking into System Center Orchestrator. It's somewhat obtuse but seems like it's a perfect fit for managing a complicated reboot/update runbook in an automated fashion.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

quote:

Subject: QuickBooks is making me cry

I try to open
"Administrator Permissions Needed”
Continue, then cry

Not quite a Haiku, but close…

Internally, I posted:

"admin permissions needed" would have fit the 7-syllable structure, actually

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
In the continuing adventures of "Clients do dumb things with SANs" the facilities department of a client found a stack of old Xserve RAIDs in a storage closet which is troublesome itself.

The first thing the client thinks of doing when they find out is to use the RAIDs to expand their SAN volume because they're "running low on space". My reaction was a mix of :aaaaa: and :bang: as I nicely told him that really wasn't a good idea.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

pr0digal posted:

In the continuing adventures of "Clients do dumb things with SANs" the facilities department of a client found a stack of old Xserve RAIDs in a storage closet which is troublesome itself.

The first thing the client thinks of doing when they find out is to use the RAIDs to expand their SAN volume because they're "running low on space". My reaction was a mix of :aaaaa: and :bang: as I nicely told him that really wasn't a good idea.

Expand their SAN by what, tens of gigs?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

Although the Xserve RAID contained 14 drives, they were split into two independent groups of 7 drives each managed by an identical RAID controller. Importantly, the controllers were independent, but not redundant; each managed seven of the storage array's fourteen drives, given a failure of one of the controllers those 7 drives were not accessible: the other could not take over its duties. Xserve RAID did, however, have redundant cooling units and power supplies.

I guess maybe they were good at the time? I still see people using them today and they're always the clients to run away from because you can tell they've been told hundreds of times before to replace their ancient storage and haven't because "it's working fine!".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

I guess maybe they were good at the time? I still see people using them today and they're always the clients to run away from because you can tell they've been told hundreds of times before to replace their ancient storage and haven't because "it's working fine!".

One day it explodes, and whoever is currently contracted gets "How could you let this happen?" screamed at them, then taken to court for lost earnings and a new SAN.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Mustache Ride posted:

About four years ago I was working for a mid-size retail company. The network director didn't notify anyone that he was doing an aggressive pentest internally, and gave the pentesters a port configured with the same firewall/acl rules as if someone plugged in a laptop/rasbpi with 3g into am open network port in a store.

I knew there were consultants in one day, but didn't know they were pentesters. Around lunchtime I start getting virus alerts on one of our domain controllers, and start flipping the gently caress out.

I hit up my boss and drag him into the network director's office, and go "we have a big loving problem." It was only at this point that we both were notified about the pentesters.

In the after action review, they got domain admin through the following steps:

A network admin was running vnc without a password on a secondary workstation on a kvm under his desk. Logged in with local admin privileges.

From that they got the Sam file, and had it cracked within an hour due to a weak password.

From there they had admin access to every desktop.

From there they were able to scan cached credentials and found a workstation in one of our datacenters that had a logged in domain admin. Through some local escalation privilege they were able to get the password, and the rest was history.

When they came back the following year, the worst thing they could find was a default password for websphere on a third party vendor system that we had no control over.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

open network port in a store.

Wha?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

You know the old saying. Any port in a store.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Retail. Physical store location. As if someone walked in off the street, unplugged a printer or whatever, and plugged in a device to start scanning the network.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

McNally posted:

You know the old saying. Any port in a store.

:golfclap:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

devmd01 posted:

About four years ago I was working for a mid-size retail company. The network director didn't notify anyone that he was doing an aggressive pentest internally, and gave the pentesters a port configured with the same firewall/acl rules as if someone plugged in a laptop/rasbpi with 3g into am open network port in a store.

God, I wish more companies realized this is the way to test your security.

When I did internal testing, our only constraints were no exploits that could crash the system, no DoS, that kind of thing. And absolutely no-one was to be informed of the test other than the C-levels and the team members actually doing the test. Part of what is being measured is not just "how do I get in?", but also "how well is incident response handled?" so even other members of the security group never knew if an incident was a test or legit.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

devmd01 posted:

A network admin was running vnc without a password on a secondary workstation on a kvm under his desk. Logged in with local admin privileges.

Please tell me someone tied him up with old Ethernet cables and went all "blanket party" beating him senseless with old surge protectors :toughguy:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ozz81 posted:

Please tell me someone tied him up with old Ethernet cables and went all "blanket party" beating him senseless with old surge protectors :toughguy:

"Liven" the offending port with an etherkiller. No more issues from the KVM.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

Retail. Physical store location. As if someone walked in off the street, unplugged a printer or whatever, and plugged in a device to start scanning the network.

That was the bit I was confused by, that a port in a public area would allow that, and that those ports could talk back to a little box plugged into the subnet that the IT team use. I guess that's what you pentest for though and add to the list of things to look out for in future.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

That was the bit I was confused by, that a port in a public area would allow that, and that those ports could talk back to a little box plugged into the subnet that the IT team use. I guess that's what you pentest for though and add to the list of things to look out for in future.

Well, usually they don't. That's the point of a pen-test though. To make sure IT is making valid design choices and assumptions and that exploitable vulnerabilities are either locked away or patched.

I'm pretty sure going from Retail Store switch port to Domain Admin account involved a lot of exploits leveraging poor patch management and weakness in the systems and network architectures.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Obama started a speech in the middle of the second day of my SAN upgrade at a major news outlet. This is going to be fun.

Thanks Obama! :argh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Maniaman posted:

A user ordered one of the new Surface Books. It's the first one that we've gotten, so we're taking a look at it and seeing how it works. We fire it up and then press the button to eject it from the keyboard. It instantly blue screened and then would no longer boot. We were eventually able to get into recovery settings and factory restore it, hopefully thats not a common problem.
Update the firmware, my surface book hasn't done that in weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Just curious, for those of you out there maintaining a Windows Server infrastructure, how do you manage Windows Updates? Do you take care of it manually?

For my needs I run SCCM against the servers for updates and have dedicated monthly maintenance windows where they can be installed/rebooted, with some script automation used to automatically remove these from monitoring when they go down.

For more complicated servers where we need to validate specific services/functions or reboot the servers in a specific order I'm looking into System Center Orchestrator. It's somewhat obtuse but seems like it's a perfect fit for managing a complicated reboot/update runbook in an automated fashion.

We use WSUS and take care of our backend servers manually. WSUS we do 2 pilot groups and then roll out 100-400 machines every 2 days until we're done. The backend we have 2 of "everything" (almost) so, we will patch 4-5 systems a day, the guy doing them checks important services/eventlog before and after patching, some servers need to be rebooted in a specific order and stuff like that, and if the server has a mirror both are not done on the same day (generally a few days apart). It takes a bit and is convoluted but we just don't have a better system in place, yet.

• Locked thread