Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are more captive tigers in Texas than there are wild tigers in the entire world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

LanceHunter posted:

We've had these drive-through "safari parks" in Texas for decades without incident. How is it that the UK gets them and we get videos of broken windows and people getting out of their cars around the cheetahs?

We went through one with peanut butter smeared all over our car in the 80s. It went about as well as you would imagine. New rules were made after the incident for sure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LanceHunter posted:

We've had these drive-through "safari parks" in Texas for decades without incident. How is it that the UK gets them and we get videos of broken windows and people getting out of their cars around the cheetahs?

That list of big cat attacks I posted earlier has a few cheetah incidents but most of them end up like this:

quote:

April 5, 1994 Jackson, MS: An 80-pound cheetah scaled an 8-foot fence and pounced on an 8-year-old boy at the Jackson Zoo. The boy was scratched and nipped before the cheetah was recaptured.

quote:

August 14, 2003 St. Louis, MO: A cheetah at the St. Louis Zoo escaped from her enclosure–by going through a 12-foot wide moat and over a 12-foot high wall–and walked among visitors before being recaptured.

But sometimes they'll gently caress you up:

quote:

February 12, 2007 Olmense Zoo, Belgium: Karen Aerts, 37, entered the cheetah cage, apparently by staying in the zoo after it closed. She was a donor to one of the cheetahs, named Bongo, and it appears that she thought they felt the same way about her, that she did about them. She was later found dead in the cage.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Don’t forget to display the sigil prominently and make daily obeisance in your workplace

https://twitter.com/ebooks_goetia/status/997446731238395905

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Would.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Hawaii melting down or exploding at the moment?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SelenicMartian posted:

It's exploding with molten rock, so both

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Slightly more so at this very moment from the average over the last 700,000 years.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The eruption is only getting worse, but a guy who had to evacuate his home due to the lava was quoted in an interview as saying "We can't give up. This is paradise!"

Yeah it's loving on fire.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chitoryu12 posted:

The eruption is only getting worse, but a guy who had to evacuate his home due to the lava was quoted in an interview as saying "We can't give up. This is paradise!"

:tif: Paradise!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
~if you want to view paradise~
~ then you just have to deal with the la~va

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Take me down to Paradise City
Where the ash is clean and the air is gritty

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

If they can’t raise the lava maybe they can lower the road?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

So I saw an animated gif of this for the first time just recently. Its really well done but I dont know the origin. Is it from a cartoon or was it recently animated after meme-fame?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cartoon came first, animation came after the cartoon became famous

There are some really talented animators on the internet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sagebrush posted:

Cartoon came first, animation came after the cartoon became famous

There are some really talented animators on the internet

Shmorky animated it for Adult Swim
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/promos/this-is-fine/

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

IPCRESS posted:

Are cranes automatically manlift rated? Because I know a guy whose whole crew of painters got fired for riding a self-climbing material hoist.

I would not say "automatically". The allowable load on the crane is much stricter than doing regular material lifts. If I read the OSHA regs right, you can't exceed 50% of the rated capacity of the crane for whatever radius you're going to lift at. The platform needs to be rated for 5 times the expected load. The platform is also supposed to have a guard rail, which these things obviously don't.

Looks like there is one in Vegas. Either I'm missing something, or they got some sort of work around OSHA to do this. I don't think I'd ever get on one.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Paradise on fire?

:patriot:

That's the story of America right now!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I would not say "automatically". The allowable load on the crane is much stricter than doing regular material lifts. If I read the OSHA regs right, you can't exceed 50% of the rated capacity of the crane for whatever radius you're going to lift at. The platform needs to be rated for 5 times the expected load. The platform is also supposed to have a guard rail, which these things obviously don't.

Looks like there is one in Vegas. Either I'm missing something, or they got some sort of work around OSHA to do this. I don't think I'd ever get on one.

The staff are all in the middle, and the table is their safety rail. All the patrons aren't employees, so they aren't covered by Occupational Safety and Health.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

A school bus tried to pull a u-turn across the median on Rt. 80 in NJ. It got rear-ended by a dump truck.

:nms:

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Ban high-capacity assault dump trucks.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Bump Trucks

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avSpMOJTQkU
Topical for the thread too, since it almost bounces into the crowd.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The hawaii fissure is outputting some serious lava at this moment. Here's a live feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEcLitBiGhY

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

The hawaii fissure is outputting some serious lava at this moment. Here's a live feed.

Is the sound the lava exploding/crashing?

Also I wish we could get a live drone shot of this, it took me a while to realize the black foreground is actually moving.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Messadiah posted:

It's actually quite soothing, like a thunderstorm.

This photo is cool and terrifying.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It's like an RTS game

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

It's like an RTS game

Assign some harvester units to that fissure, quick.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Messadiah posted:

Mostly bubbles popping and gases discharging. Some of the gases become flammable when they mix with oxygen and then they flare off making a kind of "barking" noise.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I have no sense of scale on this how tall are those trees in the center there?

Question only relevant for a while because I reckon they'll burn up shortly e: lol there one goes!

Thanks for posting this rules hard

This blew up overnight lol

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 19, 2018

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Standard utility poles are 40 ft so the trees have to be 30 - 35 ft.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Goddamn that stream I posted got even more crazy.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bip Roberts posted:

Goddamn that stream I posted got even more crazy.

Yeah I've had it on in the background for a while, that tree that was in the front-left is gone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Holy poo poo it’s like the Bellagio Fountains right now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A55ha9B11BU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Bip Roberts posted:

I am the telephone wire

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You have got to be kidding me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The TV show Canada's Worst Driver had another driver that used to do that a few years back, I wonder how many people do it.

Edit: apparently a LOT of people do it, it's supposed to bring good luck or make your wish come true but there's a bunch of other idiotic reasons as well
http://thenewswheel.com/why-do-people-hold-their-breath-when-driving-through-tunnels/