Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

we're gonna hit 60,000 dead by may 1 lmfao

MA nearly doubled its highest daily death total today. We may be seeing a very slight flattening of the total positive tests here, but that death rate is still going up up up, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

RIP Syndrome posted:

Good summary. I'd add that the authoritarian mindset is also widespread in bastions of facts and learning, like academia. Nerds can be authoritarians too, arguably we're some of the worst since we're good at fooling ourselves into thinking we're doing facts and logic when we really aren't. Following the scientific method to a T keeps it in check somewhat and is one of the reasons we've made a little progress as a society, but it can't be applied to everything.
See the oft-repeated fact that a generation of geologists had to die off before the continental drift theory was widely accepted.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

NofrikinfuN posted:

this is meaningless unless they tracked them for a couple weeks to see if they became symptomatic, though

This is a good point and may suggest they all were infected recently, at the same time

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1250524259199234048?s=19

happens every flu season

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/world/europe/germany-zoo-coronavirus.html

twoday has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Apr 15, 2020

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

they aren't going to feed the apex predator to other animals? that's too bad, bet that polar bear could feed a shitload of meerkats or whatever

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

MA nearly doubled its highest daily death total today. We may be seeing a very slight flattening of the total positive tests here, but that death rate is still going up up up, baby!

Illinois has been flat for a week but so have tests. Hospital capacity seems fine, I don't understand how Chicago dodged this if it actually did

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

seattle plague rat posted:

yah these are underrated and way easier to harvest than wading through a thornbush

foraging gonna get more popular

samuel thayer is the guy to know

I already graze my way through the city parks, snacks just growing out of the loving dirt!!!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Zyme posted:

they aren't going to feed the apex predator to other animals? that's too bad, bet that polar bear could feed a shitload of meerkats or whatever

yeah it seems like you save more animals this way

but think of how valuable that polar bear is compared to all the meerkats you are feeding it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Zotix posted:

Jesus. 86% of people put on ventilators for COVID19 world wide die.

obviously the ventilators are the problem #coronavirusisntreal #ventilatorshutdown

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

snoo posted:

obviously the ventilators are the problem #coronavirusisntreal #ventilatorshutdown

snoo every time i see your av i smile thank you

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

snoo every time i see your av i smile thank you

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1250526299678015488

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

snoo posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

I already graze my way through the city parks, snacks just growing out of the loving dirt!!!

Those are dog turds

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Isn't OPEN IT UP, HERD IMMUNITY the leftest stance bc we can't trust the fash with track and trace

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
When does infrastructure collapse

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
buzzfeed 6 ways to id and store rose hips this fall to keep away the winter scurvy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

seattle plague rat posted:

buzzfeed 6 ways to id and store rose hips this fall to keep away the winter scurvy

Roses don't have hips they're a plant MORAN

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

snoo posted:

as this goes on that will probably be a real thing people say, yes.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
the flower is the dick and balls

e: piss lily

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

It took a really long time but America finally reported the bulk of their numbers.

+26,299 cases and +2259 deaths today as of 3:20 CST. Yesterday's numbers were +26,945 and +2407.

Strong chance we significantly exceed yesterday's numbers, and yesterday was already a bad day even without the reclassified NYC deaths.

Also tomorrow we'll hit 30,000 deaths from COVID-19, or, ten 9/11s.

So if 100,000 deaths total are correct, and the death rate continues to plateau, we should be out of this pandemic in 26 days :toot: May 11, we'll miss mother's day by 1 day.

That all the trump boomers are out gathering in large crowds protesting against common sense, we might even hit that number sooner. Hopefully they all decide to protest again on Monday once the first group of fresh infections become super spreaders themselves.

The 40% infection rate among the homeless doesn't surprise me. The 100% asymptomatic rate does though. I guess not washing your hands etc pays off over the long term.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Smoking may put people at greater COVID-19 risk, researchers say

I'm curious what they're basing the claim that smoking makes you more likely to get sick with COVID-19 when smokers seem generally underrepresented among hospitalizations from what I've seen

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
symptomatic homeless avoiding shelters is just as likely as god made dirt so dirt dont hurt

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gregday
May 23, 2003

another 2,300 dead today

so i guess that's the new normal

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

eighty-four merc posted:

I'm curious what they're basing the claim that smoking makes you more likely to get sick with COVID-19 when smokers seem generally underrepresented among hospitalizations from what I've seen

I would say because smokers are more likely to catch it because they're holding something in their hand and then sticking it in their mouth

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hadlock posted:

So if 100,000 deaths total are correct, and the death rate continues to plateau, we should be out of this pandemic in 26 days :toot: May 11, we'll miss mother's day by 1 day.

That all the trump boomers are out gathering in large crowds protesting against common sense, we might even hit that number sooner. Hopefully they all decide to protest again on Monday once the first group of fresh infections become super spreaders themselves.

The 40% infection rate among the homeless doesn't surprise me. The 100% asymptomatic rate does though. I guess not washing your hands etc pays off over the long term.

They deserve it way, way more than the homeless do.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

gregday posted:

another 2,300 dead today

Not even 1/2 way up the curve yet, btw

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

eighty-four merc posted:

smoking does cause lung damage so that would put you in a risk group, it’s just common sense

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gregday posted:

another 2,300 dead today

dont worry that will change

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whitmer's put out a "dirty windows in place" order?

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
vapers are gonna be intolerably smug once they connect the dots

limited lung dmg and variable nicotine

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The UK is doing something incredibly wrong :stare:

They have 98k cases vs Spain's 178k and Italy's 165k, but they already have almost 13,000 deaths where the latter two have 18,700 and 21,600 respectively.

Third highest death count today too, after USA (2336) and France (1438). 200 ahead of Italy and 300 ahead of Spain.

Turkey has a surprisingly low amount of deaths despite being in the top 5 for daily new cases.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Whitmer's put out a "dirty windows in place" order?

I dont think theres any order in the US that prevents people from doing stuff in their own property

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

If washing your windows is your concern then I don’t think you were washing them anyway

Like how people buy 10 cases of water like they haven’t been surviving on soda and coffee for their entire life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

The UK is doing something incredibly wrong :stare:

They have 98k cases vs Spain's 178k and Italy's 165k, but they already have almost 13,000 deaths where the latter two have 18,700 and 21,600 respectively.

Third highest death count today too, after USA (2336) and France (1438). 200 ahead of Italy and 300 ahead of Spain.

look some sacrifices had to be made to save boris okay